AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-15, 19:24   Link #1
Elat

WHy RuBBer??!

I was always wondering the main character has been chosen to have the power of rubber. DId Oda have some specific reason??
Old 2004-12-15, 21:10   Link #2
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Send a message via ICQ to RedEyes Send a message via MSN to RedEyes
He probably just pick up some random object and start the story there...
Or else, there must be a mian theme with rubber that I not know of...
Old 2004-12-15, 21:50   Link #3
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

The reason that Oda gave in a certain interview that can be found in arlongpark.com is that he wanted to create a character with more original and creative abilities or something like that.

I can say that Luffy being a rubber man is quite creative and interesting with us not being stuck with shounen stereotypical character whose basic ability is to power up through the use of ki or some other spirit energy thing, i.e. Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, Bleach, etc.
Old 2004-12-15, 22:27   Link #4
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Ahh this whole Ki thing leads all the way back to the old classic dragon ball.

Though I don't really think rubber was that creative, he shoulda used something like goo.
Then we can transform Luffy into anyshape! That would be interesting
Old 2004-12-15, 23:25   Link #5
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes
Ahh this whole Ki thing leads all the way back to the old classic dragon ball.

Though I don't really think rubber was that creative, he shoulda used something like goo.
Then we can transform Luffy into anyshape! That would be interesting
Name another anime character who is made out of rubber and comes close to what Luffy does with his rubber ability.

Hmmm, Luffy being made out of goo. I would rather have Luffy be made out rubber. If Luffy being some type of goo man is really such a good idea why didn't Oda come up with and put into action such an idea.
Old 2004-12-16, 00:08   Link #6
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Quote:
Name another anime character who is made out of rubber and comes close to what Luffy does with his rubber ability.

Hmmm, Luffy being made out of goo. I would rather have Luffy be made out rubber. If Luffy being some type of goo man is really such a good idea why didn't Oda come up with and put into action such an idea.
You can't really answer the question, just like you can't say name another anime character that joins a underground military and comes close to what Sagara does with his (What was that force again?).

Oda coulda missed the idea, or thought it would be too overpowered, since goo can stretch, reshape, solidify, and liquidize. Like the sodium(or was it silicon?) chemical reaction. But that goo would be a lot more creative, using those 4 properties you can come up with millions of different strategy/moves.
Old 2004-12-16, 00:43   Link #7
Bakayaro

well, i think that if luffy had goo powers, it would fit him

luffy is supposed to be a stupid, and stubborn guy who is very simple but has a strong sense of friendship and having fun. now if he were to have all those combinations of attacks and stuff, then i dont think it'll fit his simpleness dontcha think?
Old 2004-12-16, 00:52   Link #8
Phantom Blade

Quote:
You can't really answer the question, just like you can't say name another anime character that joins a underground military and comes close to what Sagara does with his (What was that force again?).

Oda coulda missed the idea, or thought it would be too overpowered, since goo can stretch, reshape, solidify, and liquidize. Like the sodium(or was it silicon?) chemical reaction. But that goo would be a lot more creative, using those 4 properties you can come up with millions of different strategy/moves.
Then it would be boring. Luffy would be like croc almost. Since "goo" has no definite shape it takes no damage... that means even if you slice, hit, or explode u cant really damage luffy.
so that's boring...
If you put that way, why not water? Water can be solid, liquid, GAS. Luffy would have smoker's power too... except instead of smoke it'd be steam. but tat doesnt sound fun tho.
Old 2004-12-16, 01:06   Link #9
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakayaro
luffy is supposed to be a stupid, and stubborn guy who is very simple but has a strong sense of friendship and having fun. now if he were to have all those combinations of attacks and stuff, then i dont think it'll fit his simpleness dontcha think?
Lol he prolly wouldn't even know how to start with the attacks. But his personality would totally be ruined I agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Blade
Then it would be boring. Luffy would be like croc almost. Since "goo" has no definite shape it takes no damage... that means even if you slice, hit, or explode u cant really damage luffy.
so that's boring...
If you put that way, why not water? Water can be solid, liquid, GAS. Luffy would have smoker's power too... except instead of smoke it'd be steam. but tat doesnt sound fun tho.
Yup that would be pretty boring, and as I said before, overpowered.
Water can't really, since it needs temperature to become those forms. Goo itself (Silicon or sodium I can't remember....) has a chain reaction with its chemical properties crystal structure(Actually I'm not really sure if the crystal structure has anything to do with it, it saids something about it in my Chem book), varying on time(a short time period) to turn either solid or liquid. Sadly though, it can't become gas
I might be wrong about the reaction, I just had my chem exam, so I'm not 100% sure.
Old 2004-12-16, 01:29   Link #10
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Lol he prolly wouldn't even know how to start with the attacks. But his personality would totally be ruined I agree to that.

Yup that would be pretty boring, and as I said before, overpowered.
Water can't really, since it needs temperature to become those forms. Goo itself (Silicon or sodium I can't remember....) has a chain reaction with its chemical properties crystal structure(Actually I'm not really sure if the crystal structure has anything to do with it, it saids something about it in my Chem book), varying on time(a short time period) to turn either solid or liquid. Sadly though, it can't become gas
I might be wrong about the reaction, I just had my chem exam, so I'm not 100% sure.
yea, but i believe smoke isnt a tangible thing. SMoker does a fine job of defying that tho doesnt he? (when he grabs ppl with his smoke)
Old 2004-12-16, 01:47   Link #11
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Hmm you're right, about that, how did he get his smoke to do that really beats me.
That's funny actually, because normally you would expect people to drop out of the smoke but no one really notice that watching the show did they.
Old 2004-12-16, 01:54   Link #12
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Hmm you're right, about that, how did he get his smoke to do that really beats me.
That's funny actually, because normally you would expect people to drop out of the smoke but no one really notice that watching the show did they.
You would also say that sand shouldn't be able to cut you or suck out all moisture from your body but Crocodile does just that and more with his sand based ability. One Piece isn't exactly the most exact on logic and stuff.

Though you could say that smoker does have control of how dense the smoke that he creates is and thus can move and hold physical objects but I'm not Oda so it' nothing more than I guess.
Old 2004-12-16, 07:06   Link #13
Yoska
フランキー

Somebody asked about this in one of the volume 35's SBS.

Here's stephen's translation of it

D: Now that so many Devil Fruit have appeared in the series, do you ever wonder if it would have been
better to make Luffy eat a different fruit other than the Gomu Gomu Fruit?
(P.N. Happy)
O: Nope. I absolutely agonized over this before the series began, but not at all since. I love
the idea of a rubberman. Well actually, I've flirted with the idea of the Ero Ero Fruit maybe 13 times since then.
Old 2004-12-16, 08:43   Link #14
Neophos
I´m from Sweden ^_^

Send a message via AIM to Neophos Send a message via MSN to Neophos
Ero ero fruit would sooo fit Sanji >_>

Map Map fruit? <_< For Nami >_>

Anyway, Smoker can make the smoke his physical body, so i guess he can make it any kind of density between normal smoke and his bodys.
Old 2004-12-16, 22:45   Link #15
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
Because some people are allergic to Latex, why else?
Old 2004-12-18, 00:43   Link #16
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
You would also say that sand shouldn't be able to cut you or suck out all moisture from your body but Crocodile does just that and more with his sand based ability. One Piece isn't exactly the most exact on logic and stuff.

Though you could say that smoker does have control of how dense the smoke that he creates is and thus can move and hold physical objects but I'm not Oda so it' nothing more than I guess.
if u make smoke that dense... is it still smoke? a property of gas is that the molecules move rapidly.... but i never liked chemistry.
Old 2004-12-18, 01:37   Link #17
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
Did you know some of history's older condoms were made out of animal intestines? they should make a fruit out of that too.
Old 2004-12-18, 01:41   Link #18
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Blade
yea, but i believe smoke isnt a tangible thing. SMoker does a fine job of defying that tho doesnt he? (when he grabs ppl with his smoke)
in one piece. everyone defies everything.
name one thing that wasnt defied.

but rubber idea is genius.
looking forward to korean release of vol.35
Old 2004-12-19, 12:50   Link #19
Bremm
Namu-Hamu Melon

Send a message via AIM to Bremm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
Did you know some of history's older condoms were made out of animal intestines? they should make a fruit out of that too.
I'm curious to discover exactly HOW a fruit like that would operate...

... .... I can tell this is going to bother me all day... >.> ....
Old 2004-12-19, 13:36   Link #20
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremm
I'm curious to discover exactly HOW a fruit like that would operate...

... .... I can tell this is going to bother me all day... >.> ....
a condom fruit...
maybe it prevents any kind of penetrations? A side effect would be that person would never get kids.
Closed Thread