Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-22, 17:25   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Bootlegger found, should I report him?

Found a bootlegger out on the internet by accident when he linked an appleseed trailer that I had posted for some friends on my site to his bootleg anime dvd site. I know their bootlegs because:

1. They have spanish subs.
2. They're offering them for like $17 US (if I'm understanding the price correctly)
3. I asked him to remove the link from his site because I didn't apreciate being linked without permission, especially to his bootleg site and got a nice healthy "F'you b'ch" from him in return.

One bonus is he's on MSN groups. I'm guessing that I should be able to just turn him into MSN and let them do the work. But I thought I'd get some other advise before going forward. Any thoughts?
Old 2004-12-22, 17:57   Link #2
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
no dont do it ....it is his own business to do what he is doing personally i would never report someone for doing that but if he cussed u jus be the better person and leave him
Old 2004-12-22, 17:59   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

Can't hurt. Go for it. ADV is most aggressive in dealing with such people, I believe. Send mail to nopiracy@advfilms.com. Bandai takes complaints at support@bandai-ent.com.
Old 2004-12-22, 18:42   Link #4
hooliganj
Team Player

Although it's far from formalized, current case law seems to indicate that a link to off-site material can be used to prove duplicity, especially if knowledge of the link can be proven. By all means turn them in, if only to protect yourself from the eventual repercusions.
Old 2004-12-22, 19:08   Link #5
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Found a bootlegger out on the internet by accident when he linked an appleseed trailer that I had posted for some friends on my site to his bootleg anime dvd site. I know their bootlegs because:

1. They have spanish subs.
2. They're offering them for like $17 US (if I'm understanding the price correctly)
3. I asked him to remove the link from his site because I didn't apreciate being linked without permission, especially to his bootleg site and got a nice healthy "F'you b'ch" from him in return.
By all means turn him in I guess but I'd like to say one thing:
Spanish subs do not always mean that they are bootlegs, many official european R2 releases have spanish subs.
Old 2004-12-22, 19:47   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. This guy's in argentina. Unless he's reselling European R2's then he's bootlegging. Besides, I doubt you guys can buy dvd's for $17 US which is what he's asking for them. Well his prices are in Pesos but a quick check of the exchange rate shows that they go for about $17 US.

Well, I'll poke around and find out who to bug and let them have at it.

EDIT: Ok, contacted Viz and Geneon about this. We'll see what happens. If they do nothing I'll keep poking around till I find someone who will do something.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-12-22 at 20:01.
Old 2004-12-22, 23:23   Link #7
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
no dont do it ....it is his own business to do what he is doing personally i would never report someone for doing that but if he cussed u jus be the better person and leave him
Quick so let him just profit from someone elses work yeah right great logic there bud
Old 2004-12-22, 23:44   Link #8
Slave2theParrots

Well, if he/she wont kill the link, there isnt anything stopping you from changing your link on your side I remember a site visit often once cought someone with a link to a picture on their site for an ebay auction and boy did they ever screw with that picture after they found out.
Old 2004-12-23, 00:07   Link #9
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2theParrots
I remember a site visit often once cought someone with a link to a picture on their site for an ebay auction and boy did they ever screw with that picture after they found out.
Sounds like a classic goatsee situation... ugh.

I think turning him in is a good idea. I mean, what kind of a signal are you sending to your customers if you ignore people who sell bootlegs of your products, while at the same time you're taking an active stance against the fansubbing of anime?
Old 2004-12-23, 00:25   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2theParrots
Well, if he/she wont kill the link, there isnt anything stopping you from changing your link on your side I remember a site visit often once cought someone with a link to a picture on their site for an ebay auction and boy did they ever screw with that picture after they found out.
LOL. That link is so dead that it's disgusting. All they get is a nice generic error page and have for quite some time. I'm surprised his own customers haven't said "hey buddy, the link is broke." Oh right, probubly because they're dirty dealers themselves for buying bootlegs. :| They deserve what they get. Jack squat. Man, I can't wait for the day when bootleggers no longer exist. That'll be so nice.
Old 2004-12-23, 08:08   Link #11
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
LOL. That link is so dead that it's disgusting. All they get is a nice generic error page and have for quite some time. I'm surprised his own customers haven't said "hey buddy, the link is broke." Oh right, probubly because they're dirty dealers themselves for buying bootlegs. :| They deserve what they get. Jack squat. Man, I can't wait for the day when bootleggers no longer exist. That'll be so nice.
Or you could do like alot of sites and replace the linked image with a "stolen image" message or like Ghastly webcomic, "bandwith theives with be tentical raped".
Old 2004-12-23, 08:55   Link #12
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
i aint into reporting people but if he stole something from you over internet only way to deal with it is to report him to proper people, so go for it
Old 2004-12-24, 19:25   Link #13
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
I would try and Blackmail him.
Old 2004-12-25, 00:48   Link #14
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Blackmail him? Given the message he gave me in responce to my request to remove the link I doubt blackmail would work. He'd probubly hack and deface my site, then do all kinda ugly things to me. I'll just stick with turning him in and letting the legal guru's shut him down and take him out.
Closed Thread