AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-01-27, 09:21   Link #1
Onesimos

Fansubbers: most difficult to anime to translate?

I would like to ask the fansubbers a question: what is the most difficult anime series to translate?
Onesimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 09:51   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Most difficult.... ever? The most difficult genre? Your question is pretty ambiguous

In general, shows with lots of classical era japanese (Pre-Edo) are very difficult to translate, as most people don't study old style japanese (For example, 12 Kingdoms was pretty hard to translate, I hear, due to a lot of old style, careful honorific japanese+made up jargon). Animes with lots of complicated technical jargon can also be difficult for someone not familiar with the technical specifics (this is more for realistic military series, like Zipang, etc...) Difficulties can also come from very thick accents, although normally this is restricted to one side character, so it doesn't make the whole show difficult.
Another category of "hard" is best explained by example: Kodocha/Excel Saga. These are hard due to the sheer speed and insanity of the dialogue. Especially Kodocha has long passages of blabbering, which can be a pain to translate into english.

Truthfully, most anime is NOT hard to translate when compared to literature/tv in general in japan. Though we like to think Anime is only made for brilliant inttelectuals, the truth is it's made for kids and young adults (with a small exception of some anime aimed at middle aged people). Therefore the language used simply can't be so difficult, because otherwise japanese viewers themselves wouldn't understand it .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 10:09   Link #3
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
I am not a fansubber, but how about that show, Bobo-bo bobobo-bo? That's got to be kinda hard to translate.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 10:59   Link #4
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

I would say a comedy is pretty hard to translate. Because a lot of the Japanese reference that won't translate well into English, or even Chinese.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 11:36   Link #5
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Maico was hard, due to sheer volume of scenes in which more than one person are speaking at the same time. I've displayed up to three people's line on the screen concurrently in that show.

Gags, jokes, puns are difficult to translate, especially it has cultural references.

Black Jack is difficult to translate because of all the medical references (and sometimes inacurate references... making it even more difficult.) I'm sure the folks at Anime-Empire is struggling just as much with Yakitate.

I hate subbing sports anime because of all the grunts and cheers and other nonsensical short noises. I've done Ippo, Captain Tsubasa, Yawara, and Major. I guess it's not too difficult, but annoying. Those unique grunts by the characters of PoT would annoy me even more if I were to sub it.

LastEXILE was somewhat hard to translate due to the sheer volume of unique terms used in the show. The helping hand came from the official site itself - they posted the unique terms on their website within 2-3 days of the air date. I see same thing happening with Rescue Wings, which I'm also attempting right now. These shows have some highly technical terms, but I don't find these too terribly difficult to translate.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 11:40   Link #6
DaFool
Resident devil

Quarkboy pretty much nailed it. That is why we have the tendency of speedsubbers translating the nth harem anime, while gems remain slow and only done by a few groups precisely because they're so complicated language / literature-wise, that's why they're gems.

Sorry for butting in, I'm not a fansubber,...gah, too late.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 12:38   Link #7
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
I see same thing happening with Rescue Wings, which I'm also attempting right now.
Jolly good Something to look forward to.

So far the toughest show I've attempted is Sanada10.
- old style japanese
- place/prefecture names (some of which no longer exist)
- complex feudal government and ranks
- cultural and traditional references
- huge cast of characters, some of which have two or three names
- political innuendo
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 19:31   Link #8
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

I'd have to add Galactic Heroes to the list.

Heibi
Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 19:36   Link #9
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi
I'd have to add Galactic Heroes to the list.

Heibi
Central Anime
On that topic... I've always wondered, do the novels on which that show is based help with the translation at all?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-01-29, 07:08   Link #10
Sairai_X

Galaxy Heroes wasn't hard at all... especially not with the freaking MOUNTAIN of available resources on it.

Hard is Ghost in the Shell, and its 5-minute long speeches on cyber autamasatacratatism.
Sairai_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 14:44   Link #11
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I haven't a clue about how the fansub scène works, but those who translate anime ... are you all Japanese or did you study Japanese at university?

Anyway, whatever it is, I really look up to you guys. You're doing a fantastic job ^^
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 23:31   Link #12
krusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairai_X
Hard is Ghost in the Shell, and its 5-minute long speeches on cyber autamasatacratatism.
lol yeah when i watched that show i was just thinking damn this must have been a pain to translate
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 23:41   Link #13
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Paniponi Dash! would be a good example I think. Not only have you got some pretty crazy characters with a lot of witty-banter style dialogue, you've also got an absolute crapload of on-screen references to multiple other series, in gestures, on blackboards, scrolling marquee text, flashing signs, you name it. Translating all that and adding all the extra notes on the references to other series' etc. must be pretty harsh.

And mad props go to Oyasumi for doing a top-notch job on it
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 23:54   Link #14
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Paniponi Dash! would be a good example I think. Not only have you got some pretty crazy characters with a lot of witty-banter style dialogue, you've also got an absolute crapload of on-screen references to multiple other series, in gestures, on blackboards, scrolling marquee text, flashing signs, you name it. Translating all that and adding all the extra notes on the references to other series' etc. must be pretty harsh.

And mad props go to Oyasumi for doing a top-notch job on it
I was involved with translating Pani Poni for maho maho (actually did 4 eps although only 1 was (and will ever be) released). I can personally attest to the difficulty of translating that bastard. The multitude of characters and their weird quirks, plus crazy references and blackboard nonsense. I'm a pretty big otaku, but I'm not THAT big an otaku to actually get all the jokes in that show. Hell, I didn't get more than 30% of them. I still don't think it'd be as bad as kodocha though .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-01-30, 01:16   Link #15
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairai_X
Galaxy Heroes wasn't hard at all... especially not with the freaking MOUNTAIN of available resources on it.
Hence the reason it is difficult to translate. An easy series wouldn't need resources. It's a dialog intensive show.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 20:54   Link #16
ths1138

I would say that Turn A Gundam was pretty hard to translate, since it uses not only military jargon and technical sci-fi terms, it also uses political terms, archaic Japanese and VERY formal (keigo) Japanese.

ths1138
ths1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 08:12   Link #17
itaydile3

I dont know if it's the most difficult ever... but I know that basilisk is very difficult...
itaydile3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 10:35   Link #18
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I would have to say that a show you absolutely despise would be the hardest show to translate.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 18:21   Link #19
Antonik

how about ghost in the shell ?
Antonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 19:06   Link #20
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by itaydile3
I dont know if it's the most difficult ever... but I know that basilisk is very difficult...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonik
how about ghost in the shell ?
Did you two even try translating those said shows?
If not, this thread is not for you
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote