Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-15, 22:30   Link #1
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Religiously Fantasy

Eeh, its been a craving as of late. Something thats religiously fantasy, as in, no guns, no machines, nothing of that sort. (Magic? Sure!)

I just want something of a relatively good plot, but more than anything else I want to watch something that pulls of the fantasy feel extremely well. I haven't seen an anime that has done this right yet (then again, I haven't seen much fantasy.)

But yeah, I have a very broad taste when it comes to anime, the only kind I really don't like is, well, stuff thats suited towards american children. So, anything thats good and fantasy works.
Old 2006-02-16, 01:38   Link #2
jedinat

I've never really understood why the creators of anime always feel that magic has to be accompanied by summoned mechanical beings, magical circles, and transformation scenes and the like, with activation words and jewels and silly sound effects and nanotechnology to explain it all. It's too bad there aren't really any anime not like that. (well, good ones anyway...)
Old 2006-02-16, 02:12   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There are a few good purely fantasy anime. I'm afraid I can't think of any recent shows though, so I'd have to refer you to the classics.

Akazukin Chacha is a cute and very humorous fantasy series about a little girl who uses a magic talisman to transform into a beutiful princess with the power to defeat the evil magic lord. There is one enemy who builds giant magic-powered mecha, but he only appears in about 3 episodes and everything else is pure fantasy. This is available on BitTorrent, so try it out.

Slayers and its sequels: Slayers Next and Slayers Try. These are the adventures of a wandering sorceress and warrior who encounter many monsters, demons, dragons and evil magicians. They wreck a lot of havok in the process of doing evil and you'll laugh a good deal watching it. It is pretty much the ultimate fantasy anime and it is 100% Fantasy. There are also a series of Slayers Movies which aren't really part of continuity, but they are fun. These are all licensed, so you'll have to buy the DVDs.

If you want any pure fantasy that isn't comedy... I'm afraid I can't think of any.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-16, 02:29   Link #4
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
There are a few good purely fantasy anime. I'm afraid I can't think of any recent shows though, so I'd have to refer you to the classics.

Akazukin Chacha is a cute and very humorous fantasy series about a little girl who uses a magic talisman to transform into a beutiful princess with the power to defeat the evil magic lord. There is one enemy who builds giant magic-powered mecha, but he only appears in about 3 episodes and everything else is pure fantasy. This is available on BitTorrent, so try it out.

Slayers and its sequels: Slayers Next and Slayers Try. These are the adventures of a wandering sorceress and warrior who encounter many monsters, demons, dragons and evil magicians. They wreck a lot of havok in the process of doing evil and you'll laugh a good deal watching it. It is pretty much the ultimate fantasy anime and it is 100% Fantasy. There are also a series of Slayers Movies which aren't really part of continuity, but they are fun. These are all licensed, so you'll have to buy the DVDs.

If you want any pure fantasy that isn't comedy... I'm afraid I can't think of any.
I didn't really have any preferences, comedy is fine. ^^ Thanks for the suggestions. Slayers sounds like what I was looking for.
Old 2006-02-16, 02:34   Link #5
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
They wreck a lot of havok in the process of doing evil and you'll laugh a good deal watching it.
What a horrible typo. I meant "They wreck a lot of havok in the process of destroying evil"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-16, 02:52   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
What a horrible typo. I meant "They wreck a lot of havok in the process of destroying evil"
Yes... typo...

Anyway, how about Record of Lodoss war? I don't remember anything non-fantasy in it, though it's been a while. I wouldn't call it the greatest series ever, but it isn't bad. It was one of the first anime I bought on dvd, so it's a bit old.
Old 2006-02-16, 03:25   Link #7
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I wouldn't call it the greatest series ever, but it isn't bad.
It's probably not the greatest anime ever, but maybe the best of it's genre. Anyway, RoLW is my all-the-time favourite. 100% recommendable!

Since "pure" fantasy anime are my favourite type, I'll add some series.

Ancient Book of Ys and Ancient Book of Ys II

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Game

Quote:
Our hero Adol Christine, compelled by an unknown urge, travels to the faraway land of Estellia, a land being overrun by monsters. There he learns that his coming was foretold by legend, and that he will end the menace to the land. Which unsurprisingly he does. In the process he and his companions search for the six books of Ys, which hold both the answers to the mystery and the key to the problem, battling both little and boss monsters all the way.
from animenfo.com

Bakuretsu Hunters

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Magic

Quote:
A trio of further adventures of the Sorcerer Hunters. A trip to the hot spring heats up Tira and Chocolate, as Carrot goes hunting in a "target-rich environment". After that, how horrible can the Necromancer be? Plenty, it turns out, as his power is so much that even Carrot's terrible Zoantropy is not enough to destroy him! After a close shave, the Hunters are presented with anopportunity of a lifetime - the blooming of a legendary cherry tree, which happens only once every ten years. The legend says that a couple that professes their love under its blossoms will share eternal love... but which of the girls will manage to corner Carrot first?
from animenfo.com

Bastard! Destroyer of Darkness

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy

Quote:
The characters in BASTARD!! have forsaken technology and have traded it in for magic and the occult arts. The story revolves around a group of five magicians who set out to rebuild their world after a rampaging God destroys it and tips it into chaos. Driven by their leader Dark Schneider, Gara, Arshes Nei, Abigail and Kall Su set out to conquer kingdoms in the hope of rebuilding them into utopias, with each of the magicians having their own personal agenda in doing so. However, Dark Schneider's often reckless manner and short temper leads him to wreak havoc where ever he goes. He is trapped by a group of clerics in a baby boy, leaving the four without a leader.

Fifteen years later, the four still continue their quest but their motives have changed to despotic world domination, and it is up to Dark Schneider to show them the "error of their ways", when he is freed by the clerics who once imprisoned him, so that he may defend them against his former comrades. It has now become Dark Schneider's responsibility to track down each one of his companions and set them on the right path again, but what seems to be the once reckless and amoral Dark Schneider has changed over his fifteen year imprisonment within the boy, Luche Len Len.
from animenfo.com

Berserk

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Quote:
Gatts, an incredibly powerful warrior, is a lone swordsman in a medieval-fantasy world. He loses in a battle with a mysterious swordsman named Griffith, who holds a powerful pendant called the Eye of God. As the story progresses, secrets are revealed and the darkest depths of fantasy combat and political intrigue are explored.
from animenfo.com

Tales of Phantasia THE ANIMATION

Genre's: Fantasy, Magic

Quote:
Cless Alvein, a young swordsman from the town of Totus, along with his friend Mint Adnade, a healer with the talent of Mana, are sent back in time to defeat Dhaos, a sorcerer imprisoned by their parents decades ago. Along with the help of the archer Chester Barklight, the summoner Klarth F. Lester and the half-elf Arche Klaine, they seek to right the wrongs of Dhaos and return peace to the land. Based on the 1995 Super Famicom Game by NAMCO, "Tales of Phantasia."
from anidb.net

Tales of Eternia

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Quote:
Based on popular Playstation RPG of same name. Set on a strange world where 2 different worlds look at each other in distance in the sky. (think of seeing other world in your sky). Rit, Fara, Kil and Meldi set off on a journey to prevent their world from certain doom, when world above them slowly decend opon their world. Fighting battles with various monsters by sword, martial arts, and summoned monsters, they journey on to save the world.
from animenfo.com

Violinist of Hamelin

Genre's: Action, Comedy, Fantasy

Quote:
Trouble arrises in Staccato one day. Demons show up and start to wreak havoc on the townspeople. The entire country seems to be suffering. The source of the problem is that the "barrier" which until now has kept the demons from crossing over to the human world is weakening. The person who sustains it is loosing her strength after holding it up for so many years. That person is Queen Horn of Sforzando. Hell King Bass is trying to break through the barrier and release their "supreme leader," Kestra (Orchestra). One who's power is unparallel yet is trapped somewhere in the world of the humans.
from animenfo.com

Mahou Senshi LOUIE

Genre's: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Harem, Magic, Novel

Quote:
Sorcerer Riui, is one man who by looks is nothing like a sorcerer. He dreams of going on adventures, and one day bumps into a group of young female 'adventurers', Priestess Merissa, Thief Mirel and Paladin Jeani. Riui tries to become partners and join the girls on their adventures, but is swiftly denied. Riui, who never gives up, goes to Merissa's sanctuary, to try and persuade her. There, Merissa had a relevation from her god "Hero Riui". With this, the three girls, had to join with the one man Riui as Adventurers...
from animenfo.com

You wont find any machines in those anime and everything is pretty medieval. I hope you enjoy them, as I did, back then.

Aesir
Old 2006-02-16, 05:18   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ah, I feel like an idiot for not remembering Record of Lodoss war. This is only the greatest fantasy anime ever made! This 13 episode OVA series is quite worthy of your money.

In case anyone is curious, this story was originally a Dungeons & Dragons campaign which was then written up as a novel by one of the players in that game. Later on, the anime was made as a sequel to the novel. The Player Characters from the game which star in the novel appear as background characters in the OVAs.

Old 2006-02-16, 17:34   Link #9
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
isnt there the Record of Lodoss War TV with 26 eps...i only saw the 13 ep OVA tho...
Old 2006-02-16, 17:45   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimen Scythe
isnt there the Record of Lodoss War TV with 26 eps...i only saw the 13 ep OVA tho...
Yes, there is, but I didn't really like Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight and would hesitate to recommend it to someone who is looking for something good. This TV series is about the adventures of some other knight named Spark. It takes place during the second half of the OVA series. Parn, Deedo and the others make cameo appearances, but it isn't their story. There are some continuity differences between the TV series and the OVA series, but you can overlook them if you want to. Since I wasn't wild about the TV series, those differences stand out like a beam in my eye.

There is also a short OVA sequel called Legend of Crystania about the futher adventures of Ashram, but that isn't very good either. I would have thought that they could have found something more interesting to write about a character as fascinating and colorful as Ashram.

Both of these spin-offs are particularly despised by me since they attempt to cash in on the awesomeness of Lodoss without being better than mediocre.

Old 2006-02-16, 18:56   Link #11
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

The Twelve Kingdoms is a fantastic work of fantasy. The ANN write-up doesn't do it justice. You'd just have to watch it.
Episode 39 is probably a good place to stop watching though, as the series wasn't finished. 39 finishes the main story very nicely indeed and brings it to closure. Everything after that leads up to things that aren't covered. Hopefully they will continue this excellent series sometime though
Old 2006-02-16, 21:29   Link #12
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Yes, there is, but I didn't really like Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight and would hesitate to recommend it to someone who is looking for something good.
Yes, but I say skip the 30 minute episodes of this series and watch the chibi adventures in between (especially dubbed!!) because it's SO worth it. XD
Old 2006-02-28, 13:27   Link #13
d3v4st4t10n
DeVaStAte

Send a message via AIM to d3v4st4t10n
well, I was thinking Chrno Crusade but it is full of guns. Very very religious and fantasy though. You can try full metal alchemist xD
Old 2006-03-01, 07:33   Link #14
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Marchen awakens romance <-suited towards american children
Ys
there are no guns in Bleach.
kagihime is sorta like cardcaptor
rozen maiden
Closed Thread