AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-30, 06:07   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Does a car represent a social status for you?

We often see in TV ppl showing off their cars and stuff. Like having expensive cars or even those that are into mods that invest also a lot of money into it. Everything just to say they got the best, they got the money.

I have been driving a car for 6 months now... phew after 2 years for now driving it was hard to get the feeling back after the schools lessons.
I don't feel like the car is something special.
The car is just a tool for me to get to where I want the shortest time possible. Doesn't what car it is... as long as it doesn't consume much fuel(and have 4 wheels !? LOL ). It's not like I want to have a ferrari and so just to brag that I have this car and my friends don't.

So to the ppl that have cars ?

What do you think... of that *tool* ??
Old 2006-04-30, 07:15   Link #2
Ending

IMO, it does, in a way, show how well-to-do the person is. Cars cost a lot of money and since the price is directly related to the look of the car... It might not be anything special to us, but for the usually money-oriented women it is quite a magnet.

But truth to tell, I would much rather buy a good motorcycle. Less expensive and more agile, even though two seat boxers come close.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 08:54   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, to me it's not so much a social status as it is something that brags and runs on 4 wheels. IE, you could be the biggest scumbag on the planet and have the nicest car in town. Sometimes I even think that some people buy fancy or sporty cars to make up for something that they lack in their own personality. I prefer to drive a car that is practical, not fancy or socially elevating. If a car reaches that point, it becomes a toy and is no longer useful to me. I like practical with good gas millage. I don't need something that "brags" about who I am, or more likely am not, for me. If I can't stand on my own merits, I don't want a car trying to do it for me. Besides, fancy cars tend to draw "money friends". AKA friends who only stick around while the money lasts and book as soon as you're broke or in trouble. I'd rather have real friends than people like that.

If I had a sporty or fancy car it would only come out during the times I needed a fancy car (special occations) or a sporty car/truck (having fun racing/off-roading) and the rest of the time it'd collect dust with the rest of my toys.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 08:56   Link #4
Roopoo
Roo

Send a message via MSN to Roopoo
Cars give a whole new meaning to the word "depreciation". As soon as you buy one, it has lost value. It's not an asset it's an expense. Sure, I think all of us would love a nice Ferrari or whatever even if it is only to attract those money hungry guys However, the whole purpose of a car is to get one from A to B and if it serves that purpose with a modicum of comfort, is reliable and does not cost the earth to move it from A to B, then it's doing the job it is supposed to do. I find those people that get themselves in debt to have a flash car to attract guys are really losers.
Roopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:00   Link #5
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
I think it does show somewhat what a person's status is, just because obviously if you have lots of $$ you can buy a nicer car. On the other hand some people go totally into debt just so they can have those nice cars (which I think is stupid).

My car is one ugly hunk of junk! But I could care less. If it gets me where I need to go and has AC (a MUST in Arizona) then I don't care if it looks like a pinewood derby car made by a five-year-old. It's just a car. Some of the nicer people I know don't even have cars, so what's the big deal? I'm not impressed by a person just because they own a Mercedes-Benz.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:00   Link #6
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
car needs to look nice and have spinning rims and everything lol
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:15   Link #7
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
car needs to look nice and have spinning rims and everything lol
LoL! pimp my ride UK, with that fool Westwood =[

well my parents have a car each 2 very different jobs both requiring cars, one of them is a bit showy but its practical and does the job. Tbh it is a bit showy for the area.

The car i bought was a 1996 Clio from auction for 550 quid, i just wanted something cheap =D rusty too =]

Cars do show some sort of status, i see a nice ferrari go down the road, i look and think whoah he/she must be loaded, a car is a way of showing your wealth i believe.
The more expensive and rarer the car, the richer the person. I dont think anything else of the person, i just think they are quite wealthy.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:23   Link #8
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^
LoL! pimp my ride UK, with that fool Westwood =[

well my parents have a car each 2 very different jobs both requiring cars, one of them is a bit showy but its practical and does the job. Tbh it is a bit showy for the area.

The car i bought was a 1996 Clio from auction for 550 quid, i just wanted something cheap =D rusty too =]

Cars do show some sort of status, i see a nice ferrari go down the road, i look and think whoah he/she must be loaded, a car is a way of showing your wealth i believe.
The more expensive and rarer the car, the richer the person. I dont think anything else of the person, i just think they are quite wealthy.
not alway true
i kno ppl that stolen cars caus they didnt have money
Old 2006-04-30, 13:41   Link #9
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

I think cars are just a tool in life. You don't have to get the fanciest and the flashiest possible. A camry would do just fine, so would a civic. No point in spending upwards 30k on a car just to "show it off".

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:52   Link #10
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I have a really nice car, but it's wicked dusty cuz I don't feel like going to a car wash. My grandpa gave the car to me, but I guess a nice car with dust says something about the person who drives it...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 13:54   Link #11
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
not alway true
i kno ppl that stolen cars caus they didnt have money
yes but its quite obviuos that they are stolen, rozzers following them at high speeds is usually a sign =D
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 17:34   Link #12
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

Well a car is "meant" to show your status, but anyone smart enough knows that most of the time, it's usually to cover up. From my experience from friends and stuff I read, most middle class families buy expensive cars such as mercedes or bmws to hide the fact that they are not doing as well as everybody thinks.

However, if a person drives an exotic car, that USUALLY means that they are rpetty well off, since most exotics not only require alot of money, but sometimes you have to have deep connections as well since exotics are quite obviously rare cars to get.

But in most cases, cars don't reflect a persons status. There are tons of celebrities out there tht drive prius's and mini coopers, and obviously, they have more than enough money to buy 20 of those cars.

Personally, if I became rich (which I am ) I'm probably not going to buy an exotic, since those cars are hardly practical and run into alot of problems for the price they require, and half of them don't even have a clear rear window, so it makes driving pretty dangerous, since you'll be going at high speed with these powerful cars. For me, I'm going to get the car that I want personally, which is a BMW M3 (I've wanted this car for the longest time) and even though it's not the most expensive, it's a car I want, and for that, I would be satisfy if I got it.
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 17:38   Link #13
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^
yes but its quite obviuos that they are stolen, rozzers following them at high speeds is usually a sign =D
rozzers?
wuts that o_O
Old 2006-04-30, 17:56   Link #14
ApathyEcstasy

no..a car is a tool..for transportation..or for carrying shit around..and that's it
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 18:30   Link #15
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
rozzers?
wuts that o_O
That's the Brittish slang for "police." Don't ask me where it comes from, the less I know about what Brits are saying, the better.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 18:36   Link #16
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

People who agree that cars are only to transport from A-B,
would you also agree that you live to die?

if that's not the case: why aren't those content with always using public transport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
But truth to tell, I would much rather buy a good motorcycle. Less expensive and more agile, even though two seat boxers come close.
Whoever told you a motorcycle is cheaper never rides one
especially the ones that outperform a sportscar are a b*tch to maintain (moneywise)
every 4000mls a check up, filters, oil and new rear tire,
(which would probably buy you 4 cartires)
every second 4000 add a new fronttire to that,
(about 3 cartires)
every fourth 4000 add a big checkup replacing brakepads, chain/sprockets to that,
($$$$$$$!!!!)

around 30K start replacing all outer bearings and dustseals (wheels, fork, swingarm)
by 45K start refurbishing your engine and brakecilinders
and by the time your $10,000 bike reaches 60K it's resale value is $250

You may not buy a porsche for the money, but a porsche would be cheaper to maintain
Old 2006-04-30, 19:02   Link #17
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Some of the richest people in the world drives....an environmentally friendly Toyota Corolla or a Prius. Of course, many of them also drive gas-guzzling Hummers and Lamborghinis.

So I guess it's a matter of preference?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 20:01   Link #18
slayer
essense

Send a message via MSN to slayer
I personally think "if it feels good and smooth, drive it". My dad is one of these people and so is my neigbour who happens to be quiet successful in his career but still drives an oldsmobile from like the 90s. Like I would want something like an Imprezza and such but until I actually drive it and get the feel of how it runs, I can't say for sure I would get one. I think ride "pimping" is very ugh.. spinners and such are soo last year and there isn't really any points for owning that car anymore since you pretty much changed everything which in my opinion would ruin its natural beauty. Changing like tires and struts and stuff is fine but once you rework alot of the stuff it wouldn't just feel the same anymore.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 06:30   Link #19
Ending

@ Nightbat®

That depends how much you use it and which way. I don't know how maintenance-intensive they are, truth to tell, but mb-tires can't be any worse than the ones in cars. And you should be able to avoid most of the unnecessary check-ups if you maintain the bike well enough yourself.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 07:05   Link #20
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
no..a car is a tool..for transportation..or for carrying shit around..and that's it
Completely agreed. You probubly said it best out of all of us.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote