AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-06-26, 14:33   Link #1
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Wrong cookie domain

The forum sends the wrong domain in its cookies. It uses .animesuki.com instead of forums.animesuki.com.

Please fix this, as it is preventing the proper operation of my rather strict privoxy settings, and makes the forum software think every page view is a session reset for me.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 17:58   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

That has been done on purpose so that I can in the future add another subdomain
to the *.animesuki.com domain that can read the forum cookies (for example if I ever
get around to adding a review system to AnimeSuki, that would require login and you wouldn't
want a seperate login system just for reviews...)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 00:31   Link #3
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Eh, guess I'll have to whitelist .animesuki.com then. It isn't that bad since I never use the main mirror. I haven't seen anyone writing reviews yet though

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 00:52   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It is still under discussion and development.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:05   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
I haven't seen anyone writing reviews yet though
That's why I wrote "ever" in italics I've been thinking about it for a while, and I got
some ideas, but for now the basic consensus among other staff & moderators is that
AnimeSuki doesn't need it's own rating system...

Anyway, any other user-based feature of the site (if ever developed) would use the
same cookie-domain trick probably (unless at some point it will become possible to have
direct db access to the forum -- something which Mb81 will probably not allow).

Also changing the domain now will probably cause some issues for users, such as people
not being able to stay logged in, etc, because their browser is confused about the cookie domain.
(that happened last time when I tried to change it anyway)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-29, 14:56   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
for example if I ever
get around to adding a review system to AnimeSuki, that would require login and you wouldn't
want a seperate login system just for reviews...
I'm confused... what do you mean by review system...
The first thing that comes to mind is people writing the summary of the episode... and that gets done really nicely by the Episode Discussion Threads...

Hmm... are you referring to some rating system... considering everyone votes by some mysterious rules that only he/she understands its hard to keep it useful... or at least keep it accurate... the only way I see a rating system working is to just ask people for lists of the shows they like and watch... then they get placed at the top of the list…
Well there's one way to do this with the current forum software... basically go to each series thread/forum and count the people that have at least 5-7 posts... then make a list based on the assessment... best series is the one that has the most people... the result should be accepted by most people and should be accurate... well in theory... the only drawback is that the series that are just so much fun to watch but have very little to discuss will fall to the bottom of the list…
Oh well... I guess this Review System you speak of must be some option for only Admins/Mods anyway...
Old 2006-06-29, 15:33   Link #7
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

No... it isn't something just for staff...

What GHD is talking about is an idea. Believe it or not the staff here have a number of them now and then This one is just something that never really got off the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
but for now the basic consensus among other staff & moderators is that AnimeSuki doesn't need it's own rating system...
We were thinking about adding a rating system to the main site -- distinct from the forum.

However, such a "service" is already provided by AniDB, AnimeNFO, etc. (As I understand GHD's original idea it would be most like AniDB's review/rating system). Us staff have no overwhelming desire to reinvent the wheel... so nothing has been done yet. If and when we think of a way or reason to upgrade the wheel we might revisite the idea.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 14:23   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

For the Index site ?!… well I hope it doesn't slow down the site … sounds good... I personally don't visit AniDB and AnInfo that much...

But I have to wonder if bad ratings for some shows will produce echoes in the forum
Old 2006-06-30, 14:32   Link #9
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Yeah for the index site...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
I hope it doesn't slow down the site
Well, it won't slow the site down... because we're not implementing it as-is... If we ever do, the index will remain the primary purpose of the site ... so the speed of that part will be a top priority.

But like I said, it was just an idea, we need a good reason to build such a system; a significant demand for something the other sites don't provide. We've not identified that demand yet.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote