AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-07-31, 12:32   Link #1
pepper_begs

Large PC Monitors-37" plus

Hi,

Does any one currently use a large monitor to view their anime? Is it a good idea to aquire one?

I'm thinking about something like the Westinghouse 37" model. Prices are dropping on LCD screens and I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one before the end of the year!

Thanks in advance
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 00:02   Link #2
ImperialPanda

They call it an LCD TV for a reason. It's not meant to be used as a monitor.

As a monitor, you would need to have at least 1 meter between keyboard and monitor in your setup. And even then a (much) smaller monitor is strongly recommended.

An HDTV is nice, worth it imo. If you're considering buying a TV there's no reason why you would want to get a SDTV.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 04:40   Link #3
ryomakun

what's the largest recomendable monitor then ? for desktop, im also interested to know =)
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 05:43   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think the typical "huge" size for monitors would be 24", any larger is possible, but rare afaik.

You could also use a dual monitor setup, where you use something like 19" (or 20"/21")
for your desktop, and watch anime on a 32" (or larger) LCD TV with VGA or DVI connector.
I don't have this at home though, so I can't say if it's really a practical solution.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 05:45   Link #5
ryomakun

ahhh =) thanks!
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 12:03   Link #6
pepper_begs

37" 1080p Monitor
LVM-37w3

Westinghouse’s LVM 37w3 is a stunning 37" 1080p monitor that enhances the decor of any entertainment room. This versatile 1080p monitor functions as a television when hooked up to an external HD cable or satellite box or can also serve as a computer monitor when attached to a PC. Featuring an industry-leading six HD input connectors for high definition sources consumers can watch TV, DVDs, play video games, surf the Internet or view digital photos in 1080p resolution.

HD Cable, HD Satellite & HD Gaming: The Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p Monitor is specifically optimized for use with the latest high definition sources. Don’t be trapped with only 1-choice. Westinghouse lets you attach all your favorite sources using uncompressed highest performance digital interfaces. Multiple high-bandwidth digital-interfaces mean you can have HD digital cable, HD satellite and a digital game console. Additionally, PC and notebooks users can enjoy the same fat pipe and the industry best Genesis Display Perfection® technology.

Design Excellence: Amazingly thin for its size, you get 37 inches at only 4.7 inches deep (w/o base) allowing you to mount this stylish monitor on your wall. Now that’s art! Connector access is a breeze with the innovative SpineDesign ® allowing easy side access to (not just 1 legacy input) all of the connectors while still on the wall.

Display Specifications
Viewable Screen Size 37" Diagonal
16:9 Aspect ratio
Native/Optimum Resolution 1920 x 1080
16.7 Million colors
Compatible Modes
NTSC
HD Ready
PC 480i
480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
1920 x 1080, 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Brightness 550 cd/m2
Color Gamut 75% NTSC
Lamp Life 60,000 Hrs
Viewing Angle 176° Horizontal
176° Vertical
Response Time 8 ms

Hi,

The thing about this monitor, it supports some standard computer modes. In videophile forums alot of people praise the quality of the image.

I guess I'm asking: Has any one seen this or a comparable monitor in action? Best Buy carries this but its never on the display floor so its hard to judge if its just too damn big to use as a PC monitor. Would my fan subs look crappy if put on something this big?

Thanks for all your replys
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 16:03   Link #7
SlugZilla
woofles

The Westinghouse 37" is a good compromise between size and resolution as most 1080p sets are too big for computers. There should be no problem with screendoor effect if you keep it a good 2 feet away. The thing you should be concerned is the brightness, LCD TVs used on as computer displays can be especially bright because of their size so they can tire your eyes if you sit close and have no ambient lighting. For fansubs I think they will look worse because you can pick out a lot more details but you can correct it by sitting farther back.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote