Old 2006-08-29, 10:13   Link #1
msgpoisoning

King of Fighters 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GwHAHetC4
msgpoisoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 10:47   Link #2
Js2756
Thread Killer

Is anyone else annoyed by the retarded naming scheme in use for KoF games now? KoF 2006 isn't even part of the main line, its Maximum Impact 2, while KoF 11 is part of the main line.

Chalk this one up to the decision to not release a KoF every year (which is really a smart move imo).

Seeing as I have little interest in 3D fighters, and passed on Maximum Impact 1, I probably won't be playing this much, if at all.
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 11:11   Link #3
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

KOF MI was a pretty fun game, I could hardly call it a 3D fighter. More like a faster 2D fighter with a sidestep. (If you've ever played Project Justice, its generally like that.)

I think naming it 2006 in American is just a way for SNK America to cop out on giving us KOF XI.
None the less, 2006 is the american name only. Its KOF MI 2 in Japan and Europe.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 12:36   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

ehh this game seems to have loading times. i dont like they changed the character designs. i dont like they added 3d juggle hits.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 13:12   Link #5
V-Slasher

I am great fan of the 2d series. It's not that MI sucks, but is nothing compared to kof from 98 to XI
V-Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 16:23   Link #6
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
I can't support that King Of Fighter 2006 is King Of Fighter Maximum Impact 2...
MI 2... Main Story is out of real story...
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 17:43   Link #7
msgpoisoning

i'm actually relieved they are abandoning the 2D sprites for the official kof2k6 because they've been using those same old sprites for way too long. It got to the point in 2k3 that it felt like the same game with a couple new bonus features. However, I don't like what SNK-Playmore has done with KOF since it has taken over the original SNK company, the gameplay doesn't feel as crisp and polished in games following KOF'99. I think the best KOF game to date is '98, it will always be my favorite. Hopefully SNK-Playmore will learn from its mistakes and improve the gameplay in future games. KOF 2k6 looks more promising than KOF2k1,2k2,2k3 and MI, so i guess it's a start.

and for the record, this game is not maximum impact 2, it is in fact the official KOF 2006 as mentioned on SNK-Playmore's official website, and several other game review sites like gamespot and IGN.
msgpoisoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 21:45   Link #8
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgpoisoning
i'm actually relieved they are abandoning the 2D sprites for the official kof2k6 because they've been using those same old sprites for way too long. It got to the point in 2k3 that it felt like the same game with a couple new bonus features. However, I don't like what SNK-Playmore has done with KOF since it has taken over the original SNK company, the gameplay doesn't feel as crisp and polished in games following KOF'99. I think the best KOF game to date is '98, it will always be my favorite. Hopefully SNK-Playmore will learn from its mistakes and improve the gameplay in future games. KOF 2k6 looks more promising than KOF2k1,2k2,2k3 and MI, so i guess it's a start.

and for the record, this game is not maximum impact 2, it is in fact the official KOF 2006 as mentioned on SNK-Playmore's official website, and several other game review sites like gamespot and IGN.
Except for the fact that KoF 2006 uses an updated MI engine, and is a continuation of the MI storyline, not that of KoF 2003. KoF XI continues the KoF 2003 story, hence why I think the naming is stupid. Most people would agree that keeping the main story of KoF within the games with the years in the name would make more sense than just arbitrarily changing the names the way SNK/Playmore did.

Also note that IGN and Gamespot also state that KoF 2006's original name was Maximum Impact 2.
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 22:18   Link #9
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Oh lord...
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-mi2/
http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/game_kof2006.php

Look familiar? The top is the japanese official, the bottom is the American official.
Also, have you played KOF XI, msgpoisoning? They reworked the sprites, if I remember correctly, because they were on entirely new hardware. (which was a long time coming. IMO, I agree because the Neo Geo was cramping up KOF's potential quite a bit ^^ They also added so many different gameplay tweaks that its like playing a whole new KOF. I suggest heading to IGN (or even youtube) and checking out some videos/information.
KOF MI2 and KOF 2006 are the same games.

And like I said before, this is SNK Playmore USA's way to screw us over on giving us a decent console port on KOF XI, because we all know how silly they'll look giving us a 2D game on a next-gen (or even this gen) console.
Also, KOF, 3D or 2D, has never lived up to the fun-levels of Garou : MoTW and the general kickass level of Last Blade 2. =p
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 14:30   Link #10
V-Slasher

don't expect great graphics from kof XI, but gameplay is really great. still I don't play kof XI that much since leona is not in this kof
V-Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote