AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-10-02, 23:13   Link #1
Dernhelm
High on Jin

Takahiro Sakurai/Cloud Strife VA Blamed for Plagiarizing and Temporarily Quits

what a bizarre turn of events. remember how the Death Note artist got arrested for carrying a huge knife? people then were joking about how he's been consumed by his dark fictional creation, Raito/Light. something along the same lines has happened to Takahiro Sakurai, a popular and prolific seiyuu/Japanese voice actor (who's done big time roles such as Cloud Strife of the Final Fantasy VII series, Shun Ukiya of Gatekeepers, Susumu of Peacemaker Kurogane, Yuri of Kyou Kara Maou and has a handful of new anime this fall season), just as his character in another series he headlines, Innocent Venus, recently took a turn for the worst.

according to this post in the seiyuu lj comm, it seems that Sakurai has landed himself into some serious trouble. long story short, "it seem like Sakurai-san imitated some of [a popular scriptwriter's] work and used it as his own drama play." the scriptwriter is known not to give permissions for his plays on being used. Sakurai's company, "joy2006," knew it, altered the play, changed the title, and went on to perform it.

Sakurai and his group have already apologized on their site. he himself issued out a public apology on a radio show from which he will be stepping down from as host. he will be retiring from radio and live performances for a while (such as the upcoming Kyou Kara Maou event which has his name already removed from the list). there is no word yet regarding animation projects, but he will continue finishing the projects he has already signed on to.

"Bass has mysterious powers over women folk." - Bono, U2

Shunsuke Nakamura makes goalkeepers FLY and land HARD.

Last edited by Dernhelm; 2006-10-04 at 22:42.
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 10:27   Link #2
Dernhelm
High on Jin

actually, he's in danger of retiring very early, knowing how fussy the Japanese are with trust and legalities. and it's also likely his contracts with his current projects will also be cancelled with him being replaced. he might not be able to bounce back from this, at all.

anyway if there's anyone interested, here's a recording of his public apology after one of the many shows he hosted before.

Takahiro Sakurai's Public Apology (1:31, 1.40 MB)
translated by soubi_no_kissu @ LJ

"This is Sakurai Takahiro. I would like to make an announcement to the listeners of the this program. Although it has already been announced in the home page, the performace that I, Sakurai Takahiro, took part in (called) "Eternity" was (originally) a work entitled The Trap of the Tokyo Sunshine Boys, by playwright Mitani Kouki that was changed in title, and performed with one section (of the script) modified. This was an act of copyright infringement and was an act that is not permissible. I deeply regret (my actions).

Recently I met directly with Mitani-san and was granted the opportunity to speak with him. At the meeting, I was taught to contemplate what was necessary to change about myself and my conduct from now on. (He wanted) me to think on my own about my own situation and consquences and to convey my feelings in my own words. I have given thought to my actions as a professional, and how as a result I have placed (you all) everyone in a very uncomfortable situation. I received a great many reprimands, as well as many words of encouragement. At the same time that I have felt regret (for my actions), I was very happy (to receive words of encouragement).

From this recent situation, I have come to realise the position I am in, and how many people have been here to help and support me. To those who have come to see me on stage, as well as the fans who have been supporting me, and the community at my workplace - to those many people I have caused a great inconvienience. I offer my deepest apologies. I offer my apologies to everyone.

I have taken this situation deeply to heart, and for some time, as a self-imposed repentance, I will be withdrawing myself from performances. I truly apologize."

EDIT: For more detailed info on this incident, click here.

EDIT2: fixed translation, to the more correct one

"Bass has mysterious powers over women folk." - Bono, U2

Shunsuke Nakamura makes goalkeepers FLY and land HARD.

Last edited by Dernhelm; 2006-10-04 at 22:42.
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 20:01   Link #3
TEKO425

Awww, this really sucks! I enjoy his voice-acting very much and I was so looking forward to hearing his voice in Code Geass as Suzaku and D. Gray-man as Kanda. I hope he continues voicing those two shows...

I really hate when voice actors unexpectedly get replaced like Takemoto in Honey and Clover II.
TEKO425 is offline   Reply With Quote