AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-11-30, 23:45   Link #1
Fome

Anime Review Sites (equivilent to Gamespot or CNET?)

I've always wondered if there are sites that do nothing but review anime, and churn out reviews relatively quickly, kind of like popular game review sites like IGN and gamespot, with high quality writing. It would be really convenient if there were a site like that. Does anyone know if such a site exists?
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 00:04   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've not found one that covers *all* anime. I've found a few blogs that give me reviews I find useful:
Random Curiosity (http://randomc.animeblogger.net/)
Hontou ni Taihen desu (http://www.yayapapayaz.com/hontouni/)
Random is more broad-based but Hontou sticks pretty much with romance and comedy.
I actually get my best reviews/research out of this forum by browsing and looking for posts by people I know usually make sense.

The ones that *look* more like IGN/gamespot (actually I find Penny Arcade more useful than those commercial mouthpieces) --- are pretty absymal as far as reviews go (AnimeNfo, AniDB, etc) mostly only proving that any idiot can get on the internet.
Old 2006-12-01, 00:42   Link #3
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
I've always wondered if there are sites that do nothing but review anime, and churn out reviews relatively quickly, kind of like popular game review sites like IGN and gamespot, with high quality writing. It would be really convenient if there were a site like that. Does anyone know if such a site exists?
Your best bet is www.animeondvd.com. They don't really review shows as they are aired, but the reviewers are quite comprehensive at covering Region 1 DVDs (and other Regions to a lesser degree). There's other review sites out there, but they're probably the best resource if you're planning to buy DVDs.
Old 2006-12-01, 02:13   Link #4
God Len

http://www.japanator.com is a blog that has reviews and the sort, as well as others things about Japan as well. Come and take a look.
God Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 19:52   Link #5
azndragnz2k

good site for anime review

what s a good site to see reviews for animes and whether they are good or not.

I remeber there was a fansub comaprison website.
azndragnz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 20:05   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

In my books one site stands out that is Anime Academy there reveiws have never dissapointed . And they follow lot many Ranking Systems . I am in agreement with their rankings .

LINK : Anime Academy
Old 2006-12-17, 20:13   Link #7
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

I don't really care for anime review sites, in general, since you can't expect every reviewer to share your same tastes.

With that said, here's some sites I usually refer to, in order to get a general idea of an anime:

Anime Academy - I don't always agree with their opinions, but I respect that they back it up with reasonable logic. My only beef with a few of their reviewers is that they tend to be really nit-picky over details that aren't necessarily all that important to the series, and their ratings aren't exactly representative of the pros and cons they present.

Them Anime 4.0 - The reviews aren't very in-depth or critical, but they have a relatively large library.

The Rossman - I find that his tastes are most compatible with mine, and I also enjoy his (and his gang's) weird sense of humor.
JerseyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 21:24   Link #8
warpshadow
wisest of generals

I know this is a plug but I have a site http://nz17.com/anifanatikku/ That has well over 400 reviews.
warpshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 02:37   Link #9
ImperialPanda

Anime Academy - I find myself agreeing with them quite often, especially on shows that are overly-popular. (*ahem* KgNE, utaware) They are somewhat picky - in the sense that you won't find many highly ranked shows, especially of late. But this only means that as long as you like the genre, you'll probably like the stuff they've ranked well.

It's unfortunate that a lot of the original people left/retired. =x I started reading that place when everyone was in their original posts. I get the feeling that the newer people tend to make more drastic reviews to give themselves more impact. I mean, I didn't really like Utaware, but c'mon they rated it a bit too low... >.> An anime fan without at least a small furry fetish is not an anime fan!
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 03:14   Link #10
4Tran

Probably the best anime review site is www.animeondvd.com. They only review DVDs and mangas so you're not going to come across any fansub comparisons, but the quality of their reviews is quite solid. It's easily the best resource for finding out which DVDs are worth buying and which are flawed.

I can't recommend Anime Academy as your only source of reviews though. I tend to agree with their reviews more often than not, but they tend to be too uneven to rely on. The main problem is that their reviewers have disparate tastes, so if you're lucky, you'll come across one who matches your own, but if you're unlucky, it'll be one whose tastes run counter to yours. Thus, it's quite easy to miss out on a show that might interest you if you're unlucky. Worse, the reviews themselves are often just a retelling of what the reviewer liked and disliked about a show, so you might not see anything positive about a disliked show or anything negative about a liked show.
Old 2006-12-18, 04:35   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndragnz2k View Post
I remeber there was a fansub comaprison website.
There's a separate thread for Fansub Comparison site.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 04:39   Link #12
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
You gotta go read Themanime.org

It has a nice long list of animes that they have reviewd upon. I recommend this site.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote