AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-31, 03:59   Link #1
jjasc

Something similair to Maison Ikkoku

Just finished watching this anime and thought it was brilliant. It portrays the characters' feelings and problems very realistically. The characters arn't your usual highschool bunch and the female protagonist is even a widow.

It's probably by far the most realistic romance i've seen.

Can anyone recomment drama/romance similar to this?

I was thinking marmalade boy, but I'm not sure; it still looks like the typical highschool boy meets girl type of deal.

Suzuka, I thought, was also similar to Ikkoku in the way that characters act realistically--sometimes anyways.

So, help me find something similar.
Old 2007-01-31, 06:21   Link #2
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Ooooooo....

If you're looking for a romantic comedy where the main character moves in and falls in love with the landlady while having to deal with eccentric residents then I'll highly recommend Mahoraba ~Heartful days~. Just read the description and you'll find how similar it is to Maison Ikkoku. :3

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4631
Old 2007-01-31, 13:36   Link #3
MamoruUsagi

Here are some romance anime/manga that have couples that are dating and boyfriend and girlfriend and in relationships during the series.

Bokura ga Ita
Marmalade Boy
Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Mars
Happy Hustle High
Kare First Love
Sailor Moon
Peach Girl
Ultra Cute
Fushigi Yugi
Bokura ga Ita
High School Debut
Mars
Akuma De Sourou
Kare Kano
The Devil Does Exist
Wild Act
Missile Happy!
Love Attack
Absolute Boyfriend
Paradise Kiss

Beverly Hills, 90210 is a great romance show that has some similarities. There is lots of great drama. Beverly Hills 90210 is much better because there is lots of romance, lots of kissing, sex, exciting storylines, lots of romance and it has some parts which have a similar light-hearted humor. The series is a lot more serious, more romantic and has lots more kissing and sex. However, there are some parts which have a similar humor. You need to watch it to understand. There are lots of more dating couples that are boyfriend and girlfriend and in relationships. The series is really good with pregnancies and weddings. There are some episodes that can be similar to Maison Ikkoku. The episodes "Camping Trip" and "Unreal World" have similar scenarios. I really liked Beverly Hills, 90210. You need to have watched it to understand. Anyways, you can decide what you want.

Melrose Place is like Maison Ikkoku but with a lot more sex, drama and excitement, Everyone has sex and it's awesome. They live aorund an apartment complex and there's sex, drama, excitement and more.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-26 at 15:51.
Old 2007-04-25, 14:33   Link #4
Kaex

Send a message via AIM to Kaex
Though this is super old, Love Hina is basically a remade version of Maison Ikkoku. so many similarities. If you loved Maison you'll love Love Hina
Old 2007-04-25, 16:43   Link #5
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaex View Post
Though this is super old, Love Hina is basically a remade version of Maison Ikkoku. so many similarities. If you loved Maison you'll love Love Hina
I think that may be going to far. Not that there are not similarities between the two, but in style and tone they are so totally different that liking one by no means guarantees you will like the other. I myself found Love Hina to be a fairly enjoyable light romantic comedy, but found Masion Ikkoku to be tedious and many of the characters annoying.
Old 2007-04-25, 22:37   Link #6
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I think that may be going to far. Not that there are not similarities between the two, but in style and tone they are so totally different that liking one by no means guarantees you will like the other. I myself found Love Hina to be a fairly enjoyable light romantic comedy, but found Masion Ikkoku to be tedious and many of the characters annoying.
True, although I hated Love Hina and loved Maison Ikkoku.

For realistic romance, get Kare Kano and Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey and Clover).

I will have to disagree with the following suggestions in this thread, as I find the portrayal of romance and relationship development in them to be unrealistic and/or incredibly shallow:

Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Love Hina

The closest thing to a Maison Ikkoku remake, btw, is the aforementioned Mahoraba (although it is more based in comedy than romance/drama).
Old 2007-04-25, 23:19   Link #7
hoon
7ON

Quote:
Agreed that they're not similar in many ways. Love Hina, while it may have a lot of tribute to Maison Ikkoku, it's not the same genre. It's a romance, comedy, ecchi harem.

I'm a big fan of Maison Ikkoku due to having grown up in that era. Really though, it's a classic. If you gave up after watching 10 episodes, you gave up too soon. If you were looking for something hilariously funny, then well, you were looking for the wrong kind of anime with wrong expectations.

I suggest something like Honey & Clover, Bokura ga Ita and Kare Kano for realistic romance animes. Although I should suggest you read the Kare Kano manga since you won't be satisfied with the anime itself. (:
Old 2007-04-26, 07:39   Link #8
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon View Post
I'm a big fan of Maison Ikkoku due to having grown up in that era. Really though, it's a classic. If you gave up after watching 10 episodes, you gave up too soon.
It was 13 episodes, actually. Several people told me that it only gets better, but I just couldn't force myself to wade through any more episodes of a series that I just wasn' t enjoying.

Quote:
If you were looking for something hilariously funny, then well, you were looking for the wrong kind of anime with wrong expectations.
I was not going into it expecting a full-on ROFLMAO comedy. I enjoy other types of anime and based on what was told to me I was expecting a good romance with a bit of comedy and a number of likable characters. Unfortunalty, by episode 13 I totally hated the characters of the supporting cast and was gritting my teeth every time one of them showed up. I also just could not dredge up any sympathy for Godai, either, but just thought he was a worthless jerk. Kyoko's character sparked my interest just a bit, but not enough to off-set the negative reaction to every other character.

I'm not really sure why I disliked it so, it seemed like it contained a lot of elements I have found interesting and enjoyable in other series, and I know there are a lot of strong fans of this series. I guess whatever it was, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 2007-04-26, 14:09   Link #9
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
but found Masion Ikkoku to be tedious and many of the characters annoying.
that's exactly what I thought of love hina except i hated all the characters. there was definitely no romance or comedy there.

I wouldn't recommend mahoraba heartful days, it's extremely "light" on about everything comedy/romance... I don't remember it portraying any realistic sort of serious thing, like I said it's "light"

I'd recomend
Kodomo no omocha - it blends drama/romance/comedy well.

also I second honey & clover and Kare Kano
Old 2007-04-26, 16:26   Link #10
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Asatte No Houkou does a good job of portraying emotions realistically.

Lovely Complex. Hmmm. Judge for yourself. It's a great lighthearted romance story.
Closed Thread