AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

Old 2007-02-27, 15:33   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Nerine related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Shuffle! fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff, this is Nerine's thread.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!
    All spoilers are allowed but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a title (see example). Failure to do this can result in a ban.
    [spoiler]Contents of the spoiler[/spoiler]
    The above is the basic spoiler tag but it helps a lot if you include a title in the spoiler tag so people will have some idea if they should or shouldn't open it!
    To do this, all you need add is an equal sign "=" after the word "spoiler" and then type an appropriate title.

For example, if you wanted to mention something from "Episode 2" of the first anime series, then type this...
    [spoiler=Series 1, Episode 2]...[/spoiler]
    Spoiler for Series 1, Episode 2:

Last edited by xris; 2007-02-27 at 18:54.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 18:24   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A new thread, a new beginning Since this is about our beloved Nerine, whom we all love and adore, why don't we place a nice, big pic of her, so she can grace the 1st page with her presence?

Definitely my favorite Shuffle! girl, and one of my all time favorite anime female characters >.<

I guess i just have a thing for nice/shy/quiet girls, especially if they are smart and beautiful to boot Having a tragic past experince adds moe points Seeing her getting shafted in terms of screentime made me a sad panda, but that is not going to stop me from liking her. Should she exist in real life i would be drawn to her like bee to a honey jar >.< And you wouldn't need to worry about her walking alone during nights, considering her ample ability to blow up stuff to kingdom come

All hail to this sweet, blue haired goddess (Or should i say - demoness )

*Yay for a fanboyish outburst i allowed myself Have to get the ball rolling*
Lets all get along, ne ?

Last edited by Skyfall; 2010-05-06 at 01:50.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 18:36   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh good.... I had this impression that Furudanuki and I were the only admirers of our plucky genius girl who can call down lightning
Old 2007-02-28, 07:18   Link #4
Wrath88
Kissing...

You two are the "eldest" admirers, not the "only" ones. There are plenty of others who love (maybe obsess with) the blue haired, spunky demoness who can cook a mean omelette and wields deadly magic.
Old 2007-02-28, 12:59   Link #5
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh good.... I had this impression that Furudanuki and I were the only admirers of our plucky genius girl who can call down lightning
Nope, we are not the only ones smitten by Nerine... <Sees that Skyfall and Wrath88 have already checked in! > We will probably be hearing from others soon enough (Radiosity, Kamui4386, Searcher, and Scnix come to mind). Actually, I've always been rather proud of the Nerine admiration contingent - not as numerous as some others, but the attitude has always been good and everyone always played nicely: sort of like my favorite little demoness.

Since the new character threads are geared toward discussion and information, I put together a few graphics that I hope people will find to be informative and/or amusing.

Nerine and Lycoris: why the names, and how to avoid confusion? Nerine and Lycoris are both genus names of flowers, and while the two are very similar in appearance they come from different parts of the world: Nerine species originally come from South Africa, while Lycoris species are originally from East Asia. Both Nerine and Lycoris varieties are commonly referred to as "Spider Lillies". And an additional note of interest: "magic lily" and "resurrection lily" are common names for one of the more well known species of Lycoris. As far as the anime/game characters go, it is all about the eyes: Red eyes = Nerine, Blue eyes = Lycoris. Very important to keep that in mind during flashback scenes and the trip to the demon realm.

Nerine is a quiet and non-assertive girl, who normally accepts things as they occur and who tries to better herself when faced with adversity. But there are some things that force the demure demoness to react strongly - things Nerine simply does not like at all.

Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 13:37   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently, the Nerine variety can grow in my area - wife and I tripped across it while garden bit hunting this weekend. I might try a batch of it this spring.
Old 2007-02-28, 14:42   Link #7
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki View Post
But there are some things that force the demure demoness to react strongly - things Nerine simply does not like at all.

^ My memory could be fuzzy, but was that confession really accidental ? I think it was not something she blurted out by mistake Feel free to correct me, as i can't confirm that at the moment.

At any rate - it was very cute, sweet and full of emotions. That little, (somewhat)subtle confession is one of my favorite Shuffle moments.
Old 2007-02-28, 15:03   Link #8
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

It's nice to see that we Nerine fans/lovers/knights are still out there.
Maybe Skyfall can put a new Nerine fanlist together,
because some new fans wanted to be on the list but couldn't reach the person who made the list.

As for a discussion off Nerine, I still haven't watched Memories!.
Can someone tell me if it's worth mine time seeing reruns of the other persons?
Or is it less painfull to slam mine head against the wall?

Of course I am going to watch Nerine's episodes and Primula's of course

Skyfall, that confession wasn't accidental. She had a real talk with rin about her feelings.
2006-09-13, 02:28
The Searcher became a Legend!111 - (to)Arimfe

Quote from the Legendary!111 Searcher
"My heart is big enough for all the girls that lost"
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 15:36   Link #9
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
It's nice to see that we Nerine fans/lovers/knights are still out there.
Maybe Skyfall can put a new Nerine fanlist together,
because some new fans wanted to be on the list but couldn't reach the person who made the list.
And i happen to be one of those people I could make the list (First thought being: Why me though ? ), but maybe it is a better idea not to. Seems like resurrecting the whole "fanclub" thread gist, which might not be a good idea. Granted, Nerine's fanclub was not involved in any flame-wars or any conflicts worth mentioning, if at all (A pretty peaceful and level-headed bunch, (and certainly was not the root of the "problem") just like our sweet demoness ), but still i think it would be best to avoid making these new threads Fanclubs v2.0 ... *shrugs* If no one minds though - making a list is not exactly a problem, and would take far less time than to write this message

Quote:
Skyfall, that confession wasn't accidental. She had a real talk with rin about her feelings.
Aye, thats what i thought as well. My memory is pretty good when it comes to remembering all sorts of nonsense, unlike, say... when i try to memorize something for the exams It is just that Furudanuki labeled that last pic as an accidentally blurted out confession Though chances are he was not being very serious there
Old 2007-02-28, 16:02   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
As for a discussion off Nerine, I still haven't watched Memories!.
Can someone tell me if it's worth mine time seeing reruns of the other persons?
Or is it less painfull to slam mine head against the wall?

Of course I am going to watch Nerine's episodes and Primula's of course
My own humble impression is that "Memories" is not worth the time unless you have infinite bandwidth and only actually watch the OP/ED sections.

The contents of each episode really are a poorly stitched together *incomplete* collection of each character's screentime -- worse is that several of the episodes actually contain more of other characters than of them. Its just horribly done even as a scrapbook of the episode title character. What immediately grabs my attention is the really awful inconsistency of artwork and animation - which is reinforced by the edit/stitching of scene to scene.

How this is going to attract the peasants who couldn't afford the WOWOW channel to watch the series is incomprehensible - though it tells me a bit about the opinions the decision-makers have of the fans.

The OP/EDs are actually pretty interesting (since they are new material and have new songs). I'm tempted to do some video editing and just stitch those together for an odd little omake file.
Old 2007-02-28, 18:19   Link #11
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
^ My memory could be fuzzy, but was that confession really accidental ? I think it was not something she blurted out by mistake Feel free to correct me, as i can't confirm that at the moment.

At any rate - it was very cute, sweet and full of emotions. That little, (somewhat)subtle confession is one of my favorite Shuffle moments.
I didn't intend to imply that the confession in episode 10 was accidental in the sense of "Ooops, I made a mistake! I didn't mean that!" (and yes, I was stretching things to fit in with the theme of the rest of the clips ) It was rather along the lines of her winding up being more direct and saying more than she had originally intended. For clarification, my personal impression/opinion of the scene is:

Nerine wanted to tell Rin her feelings, but at first she did not intend to say "I love you" in so many words.
Spoiler for To protect anyone who does not know Nerine's secret:
At the time she thought Rin was in love with Sia, and I simply cannot imagine Nerine deliberately trying to turn Rin away from her cousin. She talked about getting to meet him again, and that she had begun to like him more and more. Then she started to say something like "That has also already...", then paused, and apparently had a change of heart. (I thought at the time that she was originally going to say something along the lines of her feelings were already too late because Rin had fallen in love with Sia.) Nerine started again, but changed her wording from soremo mou to soredemo so that she is saying "nevertheless" instead of "and in addition to that, already". Then she looks up and says "I also love you." She immediately clapped her hand over her mouth which I figured was due to a mixture of reasons, not the least of which were surprise that she had actually confessed, and to prevent herself saying anything else in her present emotional state (like that spoiler info).

Last edited by Furudanuki; 2007-02-28 at 18:40.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 19:09   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
but maybe it is a better idea not to. Seems like resurrecting the whole "fanclub" thread gist, which might not be a good idea. Granted, Nerine's fanclub was not involved in any flame-wars or any conflicts worth mentioning, if at all (A pretty peaceful and level-headed bunch, (and certainly was not the root of the "problem") just like our sweet demoness ), but still i think it would be best to avoid making these new threads Fanclubs v2.0 ...
You've summed it up pretty well here. The problem with creating such a list it that it build walls, "Them vs Us", which is part of the general problem with the fan-clubs (read the first bullet point of the initial post of the Character Discussion threads "No campaigning"). We want these threads to be a discussion, not a fan-club (i.e. "No campaigning").

Now I'm willing to beleive that the Nerine Knights may will be a "pretty peaceful and level-headed bunch", the posts and enthusiasm shown here in this new thread seems to show that but if we start "membership lists" here is would therefore imply that it would be acceptable in all the other Character Discussion threads. And this would quickly lead to problems we've already seen in the forum.

And we want discussion about Nerine to be open to everyone, not just proclaimed members named in such lists. Posting here doesn't mean you have to be a dedicated Nerine fan but simply that you have something worthy to discuss about her. In addition, creation of such lists implies that someone needs to maintain it and that leads to the implication that the thread and discussion is "owned" by sush a person and you need permission by the said person to join. We want the threads to be enjoyed by all equally.

End of my 2 pence
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 20:10   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Basically "RRR" (at least) is comprised of "anyone who honors Nerine" -- no lists, no rules, no organization at all ...
but I agree with Xris that the instant someone puts "gang colors" on, things tend to stop being rational
Old 2007-02-28, 20:57   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
How this is going to attract the peasants who couldn't afford the WOWOW channel to watch the series is incomprehensible - though it tells me a bit about the opinions the decision-makers have of the fans.
Why must you use such inflexible language to express your "humble opinions"? I'll just say I think that it's a fine way to rewatch the stories of the characters you like (including Nerine), but I imagine it'd be an unpleasant way of rewatching any stories you don't like (if any). Because of its nature, it's very low-commitment; you can watch whatever you want, if you feel like it. There is still a large audience who played the game (over 100,000) who probably still like the series and have their favourite characters already, but never watched the anime on WOWOW. Even if it doesn't attract many new fans to Shuffle in general, it's still a way for game fans to rewatch the show for fun (and, in Japan, without having to buy or rent it). Just don't know how it hurts or talks down to the fans, or why it's so "incomprehensible", but oh well. Worst case, it makes a few bucks on the side and that's it. No big loss. Anyway, that's semi-off-topic, but there you have it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 21:28   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh.... because I just tend to write assertively? aaaahhh, you left out all the good parts
I just don't think Memories does a very good job even as a "scrapbook" or memory jog. "C-" for editing? So it even fails my "just for fun" test. From a marketing standpoint, the "incomprehensible" is just my opinion on why they thought this would accelerate merchandise sales (unless they have a low opinion of their consumer units and what they'll swallow). It is difficult not to consider cynical options.

As I noted, even if you just watch an episode for a particular character, it doesn't really provide a very good sketch of them (e.g. how much of Asa's episode was about Asa? ). One idea you point out, the game players that didn't watch the series might be interested... that is interesting but I wonder how many game players *didn't* watch the original series?

If I'm sounding angry, its not really the case ... I'm really just more "vexxed" (if you will) that something using their theme of "possibilities" wasn't given more than lip service. A series of omake about the "in-betweens" that took place offscreen during the original series would have been much more fun and given away less of the plot for potential new player/viewers.

Ah well... even out of navel lint good things can come -- Nerine is a nice character (hell, the initial design premise of all the characters was interesting), I like the sci-fi motif of three "dimensions" (urk), and the experiment in integration and cultural differences idea.
So many nifty ideas... <sigh>.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-03-01 at 03:00.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 07:08   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
this pic should be at home here

as my memory serves i think nerine chan is in my top 10 of the silent/polite girl archetype :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote