AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2007-05-27, 00:03   Link #1
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
[Manga] The Great Pairings Debate

I started this thread instead of posting in the 'Will Naruto end up with Sakura?' thread since it deals with recent manga chapters.

If you are reading the manga you know that Hinata has joined Naruto and Yamato on their search for Itachi. At the same time Sakura might also be confronting Sasuke. This has set off a huge discussion in the Naruto fandom about couples. Even people who avoid the subject are getting involved.

So I guess the questions are do you think Kishimoto is really doing NaruHina? Or is this simple fanservice and will be forgotten about when the arc ends? What do you think will happen with Sakura and Sasuke? What about all those Part 2 hints for NaruSaku?

Last question. What pairings, if any, do you think we will see at the end of the manga?

I know Naruto is shonen, but I do believe Kishimoto has stated his desire to bring romantic elements to the story. Maybe we will start seeing it.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 06:02   Link #2
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

I know it's either just manga or anime but... i think most of us try to make couples way too early. Afterall if you just talk to a lady on the streets...you arent exactly already a potential couple etc.

But i think Sakura is indeed becoming closer to Naruto in terms of relation...friends -> close friends and as for Hinata well unless she really takes action....i doubt Naruto will ever feel anything for Hinata.
Old 2007-05-27, 09:08   Link #3
tkdtiger

Personally I think sakura and naruto have only gotten closer as friends...as for Hinata, well I don't know I mean at the beginning of the time-skip she fainted, but that may have been because naruto surprised her a bit, because in the current chapter it appears that she had little trouble talking to Naruto and actually appeared less shy towards Naruto than in pre-timeskip. I'm guessing this chapter is going to focus alittle on how much she changed...I don't see any clear pairing until they're older or towards the end of the series, although admittingly it does appear that Kish. may attempt to draw Hinata closer to Naruto I think it's too early to say for sure.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 14:03   Link #4
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

As soon as Team Hinata showed up I knew we'd see pairing wank. But I was surprised that he put her and Naruto together on the same team. Right now Naruto thinks of her as no different than any of the rookie 9 and Hinata still won't tell him about her feelings. Until that changes, there is no romantic relationship. Plus, Naruto will not just stop liking Sakura that easily even if Hinata confesses.

There is also a chance that Kishimoto might be doing this to kill off NaruHina and SasuSaku. We'll see.

That said, at the end of the manga the couples will probably be ShikaTema, NaruHina, SasuSaku, NejiTen and InoChou. I am more sure about the first three. The other two have had no real "couple" interaction, but I think they are possible if you look at some of the hints and character development. Kishi will go for the Hollywood ending to make people happy.
Old 2007-05-27, 22:17   Link #5
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe View Post
Kishi will go for the Hollywood ending to make people happy.
-Sadly this cannot be possible. No matter what decision Kishimoto comes up with for the "official pairings" of Naruto, there will always be someone out there that isn't pleased with the conclusion on the said subject. I believe Kishimoto knows this as well hence the never-specific character interactions regarding feelings. It's all a mystery to us since no specific answers have been given (this is not including the proven pairings like AsumaxKurenai, TsunadexDan, etc...).
Old 2007-05-27, 23:21   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Naruto and Sasuke.

Definitely, the couple that will give birth to the biggest emotional relationship. And, currently the biggest emotional attachment Naruto has, in his mind. Now that I think about it, if those two guys end up kissing each other deeply, leaving Sakura behind, at the end of the story, it might be one of the greatest blows to the story. But, probably, the next week it will be replaced with the original ending, leaving that chapter as a great joke from Kishi. Now, that would be really funny, considering the reactions of the fans to a similar imaginary sample.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 02:35   Link #7
Juruzu
Yondaime's Legacy

lol.. oddly i see that happening LOLOL
Juruzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 06:53   Link #8
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

There are many types of relationships in naruto, one-sided, sujestional & possibility.

So far the only real relationship I can see happening would be Shikamaru & temari, he's on numerous occasions mentioned about his mother&father and seems to have a similar relatinship as them with Temari. Another was Kureni&Asuma....but that can't happen now, legally anyway.

As far as one-sided go, we have Hinata&Naruto, Naruto&Sakura, Ino&Sasuke, Sakura&Sasuke and recently Karin&Sasuke. Quite afew relationships where only one person in it has feelings for the other or has shown to have feelings for the other without return. Rarely do we acctually see these types work in anime/manga. Normally its a case of both liking but not saying, or finding out that this 1 person is the only one for you......after nearly 20 eps of liking someone else....well thats normally anyway

Next we have sujestional. These are cases of persons taking a deep care over another, tho this ofc could also be taken as just friendship, tho we'll take it as being more for now. Such as Ino&Chouji (said he looks sexier with less weight), Neji&Hinata - dnt ask, but he did say she was cute when they were young. Another major suggestion was Sakura&Naruto. Alot of stiring comments were made about Sakura and Naruto since time-skip. Most curious was the interupted statement made my Yamato, and how she was affected about the news of naruto's plight. However this again could be taken as just a worried freind. Also with her seemingly Sasukefangirlness with the scene of Sasuke&Sai, seems to blow any feelings for naruto out of the waters, and with Naruto's general "don't worry about me" attitude whenever Sakura was crying, seems his feelings towards her arnt as strong as they once more, more family/friendship you could say, rather than romance. However he does comment on dates being ruined quite often, tho this could be taken as hollow.
FireDetei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 07:59   Link #9
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
I know it's either just manga or anime but... i think most of us try to make couples way too early. Afterall if you just talk to a lady on the streets...you arent exactly already a potential couple etc.

But i think Sakura is indeed becoming closer to Naruto in terms of relation...friends -> close friends and as for Hinata well unless she really takes action....i doubt Naruto will ever feel anything for Hinata.
If you bump into a lady, or man on the street(dependant on gender), if there's any form of communication[ whereas someone sends a message,( excuse me? ), and the other person in question,[ the responder?,( sorry? )] makes you a potential couple by default, but it's less likely to happen, since you'll probably never see the person again.
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 01:52   Link #10
DeDe
Ino-Shika-Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDetei View Post
Neji&Hinata - dnt ask, but he did say she was cute when they were young.
That whole ship depends upon if you believe the Hyuuga marry within their clan. A lot of Japanese do since it's more popular than NaruHina over there.
Old 2007-05-30, 09:39   Link #11
Juruzu
Yondaime's Legacy

Quote:

As far as one-sided go, we have Hinata&Naruto, Naruto&Sakura, Ino&Sasuke, Sakura&Sasuke and recently Karin&Sasuke. Quite afew relationships where only one person in it has feelings for the other or has shown to have feelings for the other without return. Rarely do we acctually see these types work in anime/manga. Normally its a case of both liking but not saying, or finding out that this 1 person is the only one for you......after nearly 20 eps of liking someone else....well thats normally anyway

I think these are called "Crushes"

Quote:
Most curious was the interupted statement made my Yamato, and how she was affected about the news of naruto's plight. However this again could be taken as just a worried freind. Also with her seemingly Sasukefangirlness with the scene of Sasuke&Sai, seems to blow any feelings for naruto out of the waters,
I think we can call this "Infatuation"

Quote:

Neji&Hinata - dnt ask, but he did say she was cute when they were young.
I think thats neji thinking Hinata was cute and liked how she look...

Shikamaru & temari --> Shika is secretly Courting or hitting on Temari and by Temar'is reaction its working?
Old 2007-05-30, 10:44   Link #12
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe View Post
As soon as Team Hinata showed up I knew we'd see pairing wank. But I was surprised that he put her and Naruto together on the same team. Right now Naruto thinks of her as no different than any of the rookie 9 and Hinata still won't tell him about her feelings. Until that changes, there is no romantic relationship. Plus, Naruto will not just stop liking Sakura that easily even if Hinata confesses.
Well, since Hinata was paired with Naruto for this latest mission that means she's definitely going to have a special role in this upcoming arc. Still, I don't see Naruto and Hinata as a romantic pairing. They don't fit the archetype of a shounen pairing. Generally, the hero's romantic interest is outgoing, a bit bossy and maybe even physically abusive (comically). They act as a foil to the main character. Sakura fits that bill almost perfectly as opposed to Hinata, who's meek, passive and subservient to everyone, especially Naruto. There's no dynamic there. Oh yeah, the hero almost always ends up with the girl he's had interest in since the beginning of the series. Sakura definitely falls into that category. Hinata seems very much martyr type to me, which is why I can't shake the feeling that she'll die but if she lives, I don't think the pairing will be developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchikatsu View Post
If you bump into a lady, or man on the street(dependant on gender), if there's any form of communication[ whereas someone sends a message,( excuse me? ), and the other person in question,[ the responder?,( sorry? )] makes you a potential couple by default, but it's less likely to happen, since you'll probably never see the person again.
I agree, plus this is a story we're talking about and furthermore main characters every detail of their lives is scripted by the mangaka unlike real life where there are hundreds of possibilities and scenarios for romantic pairings. The real question is if the author even wants to include romance in the story. If he does, the pairings people have posted here are the most likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juruzu View Post
I think we can call this "Infatuation"
I think we can call this "horniness"

Quote:
I think thats neji thinking Hinata was cute and liked how she look...
Yep. He was how old when he said that? 5 maybe?

Quote:
Shikamaru & temari --> Shika is secretly Courting or hitting on Temari and by Temar'is reaction its working?
It's a lot more apparent in the anime than the manga.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 10:49   Link #13
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Yep. He was how old when he said that? 5 maybe?
4. It was just before he received the Branch Family seal, at Hinata's 3rd birthday.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 13:53   Link #14
Juruzu
Yondaime's Legacy

Quote:
I think we can call this "horniness"
infatuation is just the sophisticated word for saying Horniness LOLOL!

Quote:
Well, since Hinata was paired with Naruto for this latest mission that means she's definitely going to have a special role in this upcoming arc. Still, I don't see Naruto and Hinata as a romantic pairing. They don't fit the archetype of a shounen pairing. Generally, the hero's romantic interest is outgoing, a bit bossy and maybe even physically abusive (comically). They act as a foil to the main character. Sakura fits that bill almost perfectly as opposed to Hinata, who's meek, passive and subservient to everyone, especially Naruto. There's no dynamic there. Oh yeah, the hero almost always ends up with the girl he's had interest in since the beginning of the series. Sakura definitely falls into that category. Hinata seems very much martyr type to me, which is why I can't shake the feeling that she'll die but if she lives, I don't think the pairing will be developed.

Bunshins will solve all.. Naruto can date and screw Hinata and Sakura at the same time ^^
Old 2007-05-30, 14:04   Link #15
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Naruto and Sasuke.

Definitely, the couple that will give birth to the biggest emotional relationship. And, currently the biggest emotional attachment Naruto has, in his mind. Now that I think about it, if those two guys end up kissing each other deeply, leaving Sakura behind, at the end of the story, it might be one of the greatest blows to the story. But, probably, the next week it will be replaced with the original ending, leaving that chapter as a great joke from Kishi. Now, that would be really funny, considering the reactions of the fans to a similar imaginary sample.
Finally someone who understands! \(^ ^)/

Lol ... I guess it's wishful thinking anyway, but if Kishi would make that as a joke, I'll keep it as my ending and won't care about the other :3
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 17:49   Link #16
YuriGirl
Obsessed Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
So I guess the questions are do you think Kishimoto is really doing NaruHina?
i hope he is because i think they make a great couple

Quote:
What do you think will happen with Sakura and Sasuke?
I hope sakura kills sasuke, it'll put an end to her constant "sasuke-kun sasuke-kun" geeze that drives me nuts!

Quote:
Last question. What pairings, if any, do you think we will see at the end of the manga?
my pairings

naruto and hinata
neji and tenten
ino and chouji
shikamaru and temari
YuriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 18:00   Link #17
^_Usagi_^
BaKa

None of the characters were that horrible to make them suffer so much & end them up with Sakura... I hope she dies protecting her dear Sasuke-kun or smth, I seriously can't stand her. NaruHina is nice, she is so shy & cute... ~~

Last edited by ^_Usagi_^; 2007-05-31 at 07:13.
^_Usagi_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 23:26   Link #18
Juruzu
Yondaime's Legacy

Hmm.. How bout.. JirayaxTsunade?
they were married in the folktail right xD
Wonders if they will end up together..
and Jiraya will get the most boobs of all!
Old 2007-05-31, 23:44   Link #19
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Don't take this seriously. It's just for fun. But this is how I feel the pairings will go. In order of most likely to least likely. Of course it goes without saying that Sasuke x Naruto is Kishi's favorite pairing, but he can never make it canon.

Shikamaru x Temari:

Pros: Hinted at in the manga and anime. Shikamaru's mom seemed like she was only introduced to compare her to Temari. The Nara men marry women like Temari. The famous Temari smile which she has flashed in both canon and filler at Shikamaru.

Cons: It could end up like Megumi/Sanosuke from Kenshin. A pairing with a lot of sexual tension and hints that never went canon.

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Shikamaru - Ino and maybe now Kurenai as crazy as that sounds. Temari - None

Naruto x Hinata:

Pros: Hinata's character arc is built around improving herself and Naruto is the one she looks most up to. Hinata was still into Naruto after the timeskip. Shonen doesn't always pair main guy/main girl. See Goku/Chichi. Or even Harry Potter and Star Wars.

Cons: Hinata is a minor character. Does she love Naruto? Or is it only admiration?

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Naruto - Sakura and Sasuke. Hinata - Kiba?

Sasuke x Sakura:

Pros: Sakura probably still has the hots for Sasuke. Sasuke needs to rebuild that clan.

Cons: Sasuke tried to kill her. Sasuke just isn't the relationship type.

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Sasuke - Karin? Sakura - Naruto.

Ino x Chouji:

Pros: Ino is still a shallow little girl and needs to see beyond appearance. Chouji is a really nice guy that will treat her well.

Cons: He might be a nice guy, but Chouji is still a fatso to Ino.

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Ino - Shika and Sai. Chouji - None.

Neji x Tenten:

Pros: Tenten is a Neji fangirl. Neji occasionally notices Tenten presence. It would add to Tenten's character.

Cons: No real romantic hints between them other than they spend a lot of time together as teammates.

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Neji - Hinata? Tenten - Lee?

What could have been.

Naruto x Sakura:

Pros: Developed heavily during Part 2. Sakura now respects and understands Naruto. They've grown extremely close. Yamato hinted that Sakura may be falling for him.

Cons: Sasuke returning will change the relationship dynamic for both of them. The return of Hinata.

Alternative pairings getting in the way: Naruto - Hinata and Sasuke. Sakura - Sasuke.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 01:35   Link #20
YuriGirl
Obsessed Fan Girl

WOW, you really thought alot into that!
YuriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote