Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-18, 04:33   Link #1
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

One Piece - Chapter 483 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

A verified short summary (and the chapter, partially) is out!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sazelyt; 2007-12-19 at 05:16. Reason: Updates...
Old 2007-12-18, 09:28   Link #2
Fyria

Moria will die?

Imminent deaths are quite rare at One piece and all though world is quite violent deaths in show aren't usually detailed and shown much, making One piece look serie where no one really dies what is not actually true at all. Zoro often kills his enemys as stated by Oda allthough never without reason.

About Moria approving Luffy's dream is quite intresting and now that Luffy has defeated second Schichibukai I wonder what kind of aftershock all this will make, and I want to know more about Barthamelows news and ace.

I wonder if Mermaid island is coming soon.
Old 2007-12-18, 13:05   Link #3
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
So no mention of Kuma?
Old 2007-12-18, 14:13   Link #4
Slayerx

eh... y'know, the place i go for spoilers is almost always accurate, so until i see them pop up with a summary then i'm regarding this spoiler with much skepticism

two things that i seriously question...
One, Moria actually dies... outside of flashback almost no one with a name dies in one piece... not to mention it sounds like he killed himself, and to me Moria seems more like the type who would rather live and get revenge than die

two, Moria was just recently mocking Luffy telling him that he and all his friends we're gonna die in the new world that they were gonna face evils like non-other... and now he's suddenly approving of Luffy's dream... sounds out of character to me... grant it, there is always the case that he might sympathize for Luffy since he himself lost his crew to new world... though i don't feel like he had that kind of build up in the end

Y'know... i'm getting kind of worried that the new world might be getting overhyped. We hear so much about how terrible it will be but will it really be that bad? this is what i feel happened with the grandline... while in east blue poeple would talk about how dangerous and deadly it was, and hyped it up as such... but when we actually get to the grandline, it doesn't seem so bad. People seem to be able to live fairly peacfully on the grandline, and it feels like it's not much different from the rest of the world... ofcourse, Navigation is a hard to deal with and the villians are a lot stronger, but when it comes down to it the strawhats have been handling themselves pretty fine. really, all in all i was expecting something different out of the grandline back when we were hearing about it. and now i think the same might be happening to the new world...

Last edited by Slayerx; 2007-12-18 at 14:26.
Old 2007-12-18, 14:51   Link #5
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
eh... y'know, the place i go for spoilers is almost always accurate, so until i see them pop up with a summary then i'm regarding this spoiler with much skepticism

two things that i seriously question...
Since there is always a small chance of an early spoiler becoming true (in One Piece's case), I have put that.

For your reasoning, both are valid, but, still may differ based on the character.

Anyways, currently there is another different spoiler. I will put it above until the real one is out.
Old 2007-12-19, 03:16   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

According to the real spoilers:

Shadows are back!

Kuma is given an order to eliminate the Strawhats (and all who remain on the island) if Moria loses against them. So, Kuma is going to fight the Strawhats, and Zoro will be his first opponent.

Secondly, it seems the person Moria lost before (Kaido) is one of the Yonkou.

What a surprising turn of events...
Old 2007-12-19, 03:54   Link #7
james0246

I hope the recent spoilers, Kuma fighting the Strawhats, is true. Especially if Zoro fights first. There has been a lot of talk concerning Luffy and his strength in comparison against the members of the Shichibukai, but there has been little talk of his nakama's/crewmate's strength in comparison to the members of the Shichibukai. Sure, we, the fans, have already decided that the Zoro vs. Mihawk fight will go in favor of Zoro, but that fight will not occur for quite awhile and we have no idea were Sanji, Nami, Robin, Ussop, etc. will stack up to the Shichibukai. (Obviously, Oda can not, probably, give a sufficient backstory to require a fight to occur between each of the Strawhats and a Shichibukai member (Nami, besides Zoro is the only one that comes even close to having a backstory with another Shichibukai member); and that doesn't even take into account that there is not enough Shichibukai members to fight against each of the current Strawhats.) So, seeing how Zoro or any of the other crewmates fare against a member of the Shichibukai is a very exciting prospect. (Actually, I kind of want Ussop to beat Kuma .) Here's hoping this spoiler is true.

btw, didn't we already know that Kaido was one of the Yonkou? Or was that just fan speculation before that has now been confirmed. Also, is Kuma going to kill everyone there so that rumors do not spread about the defeat of another Shichibukai or is this his "Tyrant" side coming through? Exciting prospects abound for future chapter of Monkey D. Luffy's Extraordinary Adventures, ONE PIECE! (Sorry coundn't resist the "Same-Bat-Time, Same-Bat-Channel" announcer voice at the end there.)
Old 2007-12-19, 04:02   Link #8
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
I hope the recent spoilers, Kuma fighting the Strawhats, is true.
The spoiler is posted by the person who almost always posts real spoilers. It is a trusted source.

It is difficult to guess how the fight will turn out, what kind of weakness Kuma has, etc., but one thing is clear, at their current conditions, Strawhats will have a lot of difficulty against Kuma. Only Nami can be considered as not weakaned much. All the others received a lot of damage during the fight against Odz.

To be honest, against a Shichibukai at full power, I prefer an unnatural event (be it Chopper taking his uncontrollable form or external help from Moria for instance to buy them time for their escape) taking place in the current state. Sure, Strawhats will learn about Ace and Blackbeard during the fight, but, the two events happening will be hard to swallow, either Strawhats beating Kuma in their state, or Kuma eliminating Strawhats (that surely won't happen). So, some kind of escape seems to be the most appropriate solution, right now...
Old 2007-12-19, 05:08   Link #9
Nuzzles

Well well, this will be interesting. Seems totally unfair though. After fighting Oz and Moria, now they've gotta deal with another Shichi! Can't wait to see how it turns out. But it'll be hard to have it end in a satisfactory way, I think. Hopefully Zoro isn't disposed of too quickly.
Old 2007-12-19, 05:09   Link #10
shankss
CP10

great another shichibukai off our list! since kuma will die/feint/lose for %85 after this fight!
Old 2007-12-19, 05:38   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
It is a trusted source.
Thanks for the update that this is more than likely a true spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
To be honest, against a Shichibukai at full power, I prefer an unnatural event (be it Chopper taking his uncontrollable form or external help from Moria for instance to buy them time for their escape) taking place in the current state. Sure, Strawhats will learn about Ace and Blackbeard during the fight, but, the two events happening will be hard to swallow, either Strawhats beating Kuma in their state, or Kuma eliminating Strawhats (that surely won't happen). So, some kind of escape seems to be the most appropriate solution, right now...
No, I agree with you. This will not be a full-scale fight. Rather there will be posturing with anouncments concerning the Red Line (is that what the continent is called?) and the 'New World' as well as a token shot of Kuma's powers, whatever they may be. If nothing else, I think that the Strawhats will be defeated (this will enforce the notion that even if you can defeat one Shichibukai you can not defeat two at once; and this should help to settle several debates concerning power leveles, etc.), and the pirates/sailors/soldiers that have recently reclaimed their souls/shadows will spirit the Strawhats away and consequently be destroyed, along with Moria's ship, in the process. At least this is my ideal conclusion to this ark. I am sure, no matter what, Oda will deliver something satisfying.

(I also have to admit a slight fear that I had when I read/you posted that Kuma was going to fight. I feared that Oda may be rushing the series. There have been comlaints on this and other forums that the Thriller Bark Arc seems a little rushed. I have not, personally, seen signs of this, or at least not any significant signs of this, but, If Kuma should fall, even though there are still many villians/anatagonists left, I could not help but feel that those complaints might be partially correct. Nothing will conclude a series faster than having several villians all killed at once or over a short time-period. I do not beleive Kuma will fall, in fact I am rooting for him , but I still stand by my reply that I would like to see other members of the strawhat crew take on a Shichibukai, just not right now.)
Old 2007-12-19, 10:14   Link #12
Fyria

What an intresting change of events !

Just when Moria is finally down another Schichibuka engages immeadatly.

I have suspect that it won't be as epic fight,I guess it will end quickly either defeat/retreat of Strawhats or Kuma or unknown event.

Also if Strawhats defeat TWO Shichibukais in one arc it will have garguantian effect on world policies...

Damn this is getting out of hand and I LOVE IT!
Old 2007-12-19, 10:53   Link #13
Slayerx

Heh, i knew those first two spoilers were fake... you can almost always trust battle franky to give out the real stuff... really, i'd rather the thread start when we had an accurate spoiler... i'd rather not have things turn into the Naruto spoiler thread

Y'know i figured that the world gov't would want to keep Moria despite him being beaten and would try to hide his defeat... what i didn't think is that they would go as far as ordering Kuma to eliminate everyone... afterall, Croc being beaten by Luffy is also a secret and yet the secret hasn't come out despite the strawhats and alabasta continuing to live... though grant it, their are probably atleast "rumors" that Luffy beat Croc... but this is bad news, especially for those random pirates who are expendable

I'm expecting a escape for the strawhats... its too soon for Luffy to smack down Kuma as he and the others have faught hard enough already and should not have it in them to fight... and ofcourse, the strawhats can't be killed. I'm guessing that having some smacking around, those random pirates, i thanks to the strawhats will do something to hold back Kuma while the strawhats escape... Somehow, Kuma's gotta be knock down long enough for the strawhats to run but at the same time, not hit so hard that it looks like he was truly beaten
Old 2007-12-19, 12:43   Link #14
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post

(I also have to admit a slight fear that I had when I read/you posted that Kuma was going to fight. I feared that Oda may be rushing the series. There have been comlaints on this and other forums that the Thriller Bark Arc seems a little rushed. I have not, personally, seen signs of this, or at least not any significant signs of this, but, If Kuma should fall, even though there are still many villians/anatagonists left, I could not help but feel that those complaints might be partially correct. Nothing will conclude a series faster than having several villians all killed at once or over a short time-period. I do not beleive Kuma will fall, in fact I am rooting for him , but I still stand by my reply that I would like to see other members of the strawhat crew take on a Shichibukai, just not right now.)
I think One Piece has gone on a long enough time though, and I'd love to see some closure. I heard that the series was only supposed to last five years, but it was so successful, an extra five years was added. Oda apparently even already wrote out the ending a long time ago. One Piece is the only anime/manga I still watch/read, and I could use an ending.

As for the chapter, it does seem just unrealistic for either side to win a decisive battle. I'm hoping for an escape myself. However, I also like the idea of Zoro defeating Kuma. If I'm not mistaken, Kuma's bounty is lower than Moria? For all we know he may be the weaker one. All the same, Kuma fighting in itself is a bit awkward in my opinion.
Old 2007-12-19, 13:41   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

ikumdo, the bounty of a pirate does not always equate to their actual level of strength. Just because Kuma's former bounty (296 million berries) is lower than Moria's former bounty (320 million berries) does not mean that he is weaker. There are actually quite a few pieces of information to support how Kuma is probably stronger than Moria.

1) He is definitely the world government's most invaluable shichibukai member because he is the only obedient one and actually follows their orders. To lose Kuma would be a very big loss on their part.

2) He was known as a "tyrant" in his old pirating days because he was proclaimed to be brutal beyond measure.

3) His ability seems to be one of the most powerful presented to us so far in the story. The ability to make anything he touches disappear and teleport himself to any location he pleases makes him extremely dangerous.

4) When he encountered Moria, Moria said that he is the only of the shichibukai that worries him the most. What I can infer from this meaning is that Moria was talking about how unpredictable and dangerous Kuma can really be.

5) In this recent chapter spoiler, I read some of the translations over at Arlong Park forums. The government told Kuma to massacre everyone on Thriller Bark, including the Strawhats, and he replied with a mere "....easy".

Furthermore, Kuma is not the type of individual who would underestimate his opponents. He has already stated that "no battle has a certain outcome". He is not arrogant or too proud, but rather he seems to be a very intelligent man. I will just wait until more story developments unravel in the subsequent chapters to come. By the way, I am a huge Kuma fan so forgive me if I may seem a little biased.

Please forgive me for my ignorance guys but I am new to this forum and was wondering how to reply to another user's reply directly. What I mean is, how do you quote someone's response and reply to that particular quote? Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2007-12-19 at 13:44. Reason: Forgot to thank people in advance for my question.
Old 2007-12-19, 14:05   Link #16
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Furthermore, Kuma is not the type of individual who would underestimate his opponents. He has already stated that "no battle has a certain outcome". He is not arrogant or too proud, but rather he seems to be a very intelligent man.
What you claim about Kuma's beliefs is contradicting what he said later on (though, those words might refer to Moria's battle, which is understandable, one does not need to trust another's abilities, especially if they have no nakama relationship). He considers the fight against Strawhats easy. You cannot say something like that if you are not sure about the outcome of a fight you are planning to have.

Quote:
Please forgive me for my ignorance guys but I am new to this forum and was wondering how to reply to another user's reply directly. What I mean is, how do you quote someone's response and reply to that particular quote? Thank you for your assistance.
Use the "quote" button (that is on the bottom right side of each post), if you want to reply to a single post (or "quote+" buttons if you want to reply to multiple posts, though at the end you still need to use "quote" to activate the quotes in your reply).
Old 2007-12-19, 14:26   Link #17
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
ikumdo, the bounty of a pirate does not always equate to their actual level of strength. Just because Kuma's former bounty (296 million berries) is lower than Moria's former bounty (320 million berries) does not mean that he is weaker. There are actually quite a few pieces of information to support how Kuma is probably stronger than Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
If I'm not mistaken, Kuma's bounty is lower than Moria? For all we know he may be the weaker one.
Please, read carefully next time. Since this is your first time, I'll let you off with a warning.

Your arguments for Kuma being stronger is also all based on subjective observation, none based on anything solid. I don't know who's stronger, and I think Kuma probably is the stronger one, but who knows right?
Old 2007-12-19, 14:46   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Sazelyt, thank you very much for the help on quoting replies.

Regarding what you said on how Kuma contradicts himself with his "....easy" is erroneous because he has now observed all of the Strawhats fight with Oz and Moria. He now knows what each of them are capable of, so for him to say "easy", validates his claim of saying so. He now has a basis for comparing the strength of the strawhats to himself. The fact that he is so asserted of his victory assures that he is going to be an extremely powerful member of the shichibukai and a formidable opponent to contend with. In other words, from my understanding, it is being implied that he is at a higher level of strength than the strawhats.
Old 2007-12-19, 14:55   Link #19
Slayerx

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo
If I'm not mistaken, Kuma's bounty is lower than Moria? For all we know he may be the weaker one.
Well based on a basic look at the bounty it would suggest that Kuma is weaker... however there is still a good chance of Kuma being stronger based on one simple fact.
The bounty of Shichibukai is a FORMER bounty; its a bounty that STOPS rising when they become shichibukai... so all their bounty REALLy means is that was the level they were at when first joined up, however how high their bounty would be had they not become shichibukai is a complete unknown

Croc for instance, had a former bounty of 80 million, but Oda has said in an SBS that had is bounty continued to rise it would have been something like 150 million... While Kuma may have a FORMER bounty of 296 million, his actual bounty if he had not joined the gov't could be 2 maybe even 3 times as high; while Moria might have only been 1.25-1.5 times higher (he has been rather lazy these past 10 years)... can't be sure, it all depends on how long he has been a shichibukai and how much he would have done as a pirate... so in a sence it is entirely possible that Kuma would have a much higher bounty than Moria had their bounties not been frozen (perhaps Moria would risen slowly and have been something like 400 million, while Kuma would have rose much higher and faster to like 600 million; or something like that)... frankly, i kind of think that's the case and that Oda only gave Kuma a lower former bounty to throw off the readers
Old 2007-12-19, 14:58   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
Please, read carefully next time. Since this is your first time, I'll let you off with a warning.

Your arguments for Kuma being stronger is also all based on subjective observation, none based on anything solid. I don't know who's stronger, and I think Kuma probably is the stronger one, but who knows right?
Sorry about that iKumdo. I quickly read through your post and forgot that you said "may be weaker".

The thing is is that many people believe that just because a pirate has a higher bounty, he/she is automatically stronger than their fellow pirates who have respective lower bounties. In the chapter 482 thread, I made a comparison between Donflamingo and Kuma. There are many people who believe Donflamingo is stronger simply because his former bounty is higher than kuma's. But we can't make these kinds of inferences because we don't know what these members are capable of. Everything is based off conjecture and peopled treat it like fact. Look at Blackbeard. He has former bounty of 0 (stated by kuma). Does this mean that he is the weakest shichibukai member? Certainly not.
Closed Thread