AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-13, 04:16   Link #1
D2UA

need more One Piece-eaque anime

Just as the title says...One Piece is by far my favorite on-going anime. it has everything!

good story, comedy, serious when need be, good progression and backstory, a ton of characters.

i need more anime like this so bad

i dont care if you suggest an almost carbon copy of One Piece. i want it all

any past or present anime welcome. on-going anime wanted, or at least 2 seasons if over.
Old 2008-03-13, 04:31   Link #2
james0246

Nothing can compare to One Piece. It currently stands at the pinnacle of what "good" Shounen type anime and manga can be. And the anime is not even as good as the manga.

But, there are some past Shounen series that are as good.

Rurouni Kenshin - (anime is good (until episode 60 or so), but the manga is stellar; the manga-ka for One Piece started his career working as a primary assisstant on this manga.)

Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter

Ranma 1/2 is a great precursor in many respects to One Piece; same type of action and adventure, as well as comedy, but romance is added to the story.

You might like one of the Zoids series, all of them are pretty good, and the action and adventure is fun. Season 01 or 03 would be the best bet.

MÄR maybe, an okay action series with some good comedy moments if a somewhat lacking story and plot.

Astro Boy , one of the best. Still holds up after 50 years.
Old 2008-03-13, 04:38   Link #3
D2UA

seen my share or kenshin, may need to get back into it

HxH i'm leaving to manga for now, since i haven't read any since Othello

Yu Yu....i dunno, it's a toss up. wanted to get into it and been led astray

not really a Mecha person, so Zoids is not for me...which is funny cause i was into FMP until halfway, when mecha was being shown more

MAR seemed really kiddy to me, so i passed it up

as for Astro Boy, nah...maybe when i get into a classics mood

which leaves Ranma 1/2....how good is the story? how does it progress? is Ranma to water as Fruits Basket is to op-sex hugs?

one last thing, any still on going series that would be easy for me to enjoy as much as one piece? (minus bleach and naruto)
Old 2008-03-13, 04:47   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2UA View Post
which leaves Ranma 1/2....how good is the story? how does it progress? is Ranma to water as Fruits Basket is to op-sex hugs?
Ranma is a mostly comedic, mostly episodic series. There is a lot of martial arts training and fighting but it is very silly. Most of the comedy and plot is pushed by the many transformations of various characters; Ranma's sex-switching is just the foremost. I remember being very addicted when I first watched Ranma, especially the first 3 seasons. It was very funny, and quite novel to me. (I was new to anime and gender-bending ^^) Ranma is still a favorite of mine, but it has been a long time since I watched the TV series; I've read the manga a couple times recently.
Old 2008-03-13, 05:07   Link #5
Bucket

Possibly Flame of Recca, as it's got comedy, romance and is serious when it needs to be.

Ranma 1/2
is a great anime, but the main character (Ranma) has a completely different type of goal compared to Luffy's. And it doesn't have much of an adventure because the story usually focuses in the same place. And it's not serious when it needs to be. (lol)
Old 2008-03-13, 12:44   Link #6
james0246

GTO - slightly more "adult" anime/manga, but has some great comedy mixed with solid story which has constantly progressing hurdles and villians for the protagonist to "defeat". The manga is better, but the anime is still really good.
Closed Thread