AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-13, 08:43   Link #1
Smithsky

Siblings - enemies

Hey, I'm looking for anime where siblings are enemies. I would like one of them to be a main character, not side one. Doesn't matter if they hate or love each other, if it's all against their will or not etc., I just wonder if there's anime like that, where sooner or later siblings will meet each other on battlefield. Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-04-13, 08:49   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The most famous recent sibling showdown is Code Geass, the royal family taking on each other.

Eureka 7, while Holland is not the main protagonist, he is a main character and the story's antagonist is his brother. He and the main character Renton and Eureka will be fighting against his brother. Renton will also be searching for his sister as well.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-13, 08:56   Link #3
Fweakin

Do you you count adopted siblings? Cause then Ga-Rei Zero would fit this on so many levels.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime has a elements of that, as does Vampire Knight.

You have me stumped for the time being, so I shall add more as I think of them. I don't tend to watch a lot of shounen power up stuff, which is where I expect more of the rival stuff comes into play.
Old 2009-04-13, 10:13   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Monster has a pair of sibling antagonists. I won't say more to avoid spoilage.
Old 2009-04-13, 14:04   Link #5
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

While Code Geass technically has siblings going at it, it's a little different at the same time since the siblings play more of a "back seat" type roll. They are like chess masters moving around pieces and such, and the pieces do the actual fighting. Plus, outside one, the relationship is such as it's not direct siblings but rather "same father, different mother" type thing since we are talking about a royal family type thing. Most of them are more along the lines of side or disposable chars (I think one lasted all of 2 episodes >_>) also... although they are the siblings of the main char.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2009-04-13, 14:58   Link #6
Saleh
Inactive

I can only recall few average animes meeting your criteria.

Fate Stay/Night
InuYasha
Gundam
Marchen Awaken Romance
Nabari no Ou
Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry
Tales of Abyss
Full Metal Panic
Blood+
Trinity Blood
Old 2009-04-13, 15:18   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Escaflowne definitely. The main character arch enemy is his older brother. And that's not the only sibling rivalry in the anime but i don't wanna spoil it.

Xenosaga Albedo and Rubedo have a sibling relationship. Technically they are clones, they have the same genetic code with a few minor changes. But apart from that they also have a very strong "spiritual" connection, as if they are one a part of the other. Despite them being archenemies and hating each other, even the third clone Nigredo recognizes their bond is a lot stronger.

I also recommend "Sokou no Strain" if you want an anime where the main character is torn apart between his duty and the fact that the enemy is a sibling.

Then if you don't mind very old classics

Hokuto no Ken. Apart from the fact he fights against a lot of brothers, who aren't exactly his brothers but they do act as if they were. In the second season Ken do fights against his real Brother Hyo.

Saint Seiya Andromeda and Phoenix are enemies during the first episodes, but then they become allies.

Quote:
While Code Geass technically has siblings going at it, it's a little different at the same time since the siblings play more of a "back seat" type roll. They are like chess masters moving around pieces and such, and the pieces do the actual fighting. Plus, outside one, the relationship is such as it's not direct siblings but rather "same father, different mother" type thing since we are talking about a royal family type thing. Most of them are more along the lines of side or disposable chars (I think one lasted all of 2 episodes >_>) also... although they are the siblings of the main char.
Cornelia doesn't fit your description at all, she fights more than Lelouch himself, and she often stands on the first line. Also in Code Geass R2 Schneizel plays a major role in the story, he ends up being the real enemy of Lelouch. The other siblings might just have minor roles (except for Euphemia and Nunnally who aren't enemies) but Cornelia and Schneizel are very important characters.
Oh btw i almost forgot near the end of R2

Spoiler for last episodes of code geass R2:

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-04-13 at 15:40.
Old 2009-04-13, 15:34   Link #8
qwertyuiopz

inuyasha L O L
Old 2009-04-13, 18:23   Link #9
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
inuyasha L O L
It does have siblings as enemies settings although it may be for lower ages even for a shounen series. Even Naruto fits the criteria.
Old 2009-04-13, 19:32   Link #10
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It depends on what you consider as a "main character". If any character significant for the story who is somehow allied with the protagonist works then it's ok. But if the op only wants them to be THE protagonist as the one whom the story revolves around, then a few of your titles do not work.

Inuyasha: Kagome is the protagonist Sango is a close ally who fights against her little brother

Gundam Amuro Rei is the protagonist, Sayla is another important character of Amuro's team who is fighting against her brother Char

Full Metal Panic Sagara is the protagonist, Tessa Testarossa is his commander (and she has a very relevant role in the story) who somehow is fighting against her brother. However as far as i know the brother only appears in the second season.

oh and btw even two of those i mentioned

Xenosaga The main character is Shion. This anime is based on a RPG where Rubedo is one of the playable characters.

Saint Seiya The Main character is Pegasus/Seiya, Andromeda is one of the five heroes.

Just to make things clear for the op.

Old 2009-04-14, 09:04   Link #11
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Cornelia doesn't fit your description at all, she fights more than Lelouch himself, and she often stands on the first line. Also in Code Geass R2 Schneizel plays a major role in the story, he ends up being the real enemy of Lelouch. The other siblings might just have minor roles (except for Euphemia and Nunnally who aren't enemies) but Cornelia and Schneizel are very important characters.
Oh btw i almost forgot near the end of R2

Spoiler for last episodes of code geass R2:

True, I had forgotten about Cornelia, she is a very front line fighter. However most of the others (even Schneizel) are back-line and he and Lelouch don't really go 1 on 1 more then once or twice, they are constantly fighting behind pawns in a sense. That isn't to say they aren't major characters, just they don't "directly" fight each other. They do fight each other yes, but it's through other people... so depending on if that is ok with the OP or not.

Spoiler for MAJOR Ending Spoiler:

Old 2009-04-14, 09:38   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The TC is not looking really looking for siblings punching each other, or having a duel, he just wants siblings on different sides. And meeting on a battle field doesn't mean meeting face to face in a mech or not, battlefield commanders also 'meet' on a battlefield.

Anyway one more sibling as enemies suggestion, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, its currently airing now, 15 of 26 episodes. Sisters are now enemies.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-14, 09:48   Link #13
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Anyway one more sibling as enemies suggestion, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, its currently airing now, 15 of 26 episodes. Sisters are now enemies.
I should have expected .
Well. Was coming here trying to bring up Sora Kake, but seem like someone is faster than me.
Old 2009-04-14, 10:53   Link #14
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Ya C.A. I get what you're saying, and thats true. I was thinking something else when I was making my posts since I mis-read the OP some. I was thinking that he wasn't too specific and may have wanted to see a sibling "slugging match" as it were, which is why I threw out that. Re-reading the OP though I did see the thing where it is a little more clear that he didn't want to see that.

Old 2009-04-15, 04:16   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I would strongly recommend Ga-Rei Zero.
Old 2009-04-15, 06:32   Link #16
itisjustme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Inuyasha: Kagome is the protagonist Sango is a close ally who fights against her little brother.
This one does work, you forgot Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru, even if their relationship can be ambiguous at times.

Also Trigun.
Old 2009-04-15, 07:37   Link #17
denice25

Ga-Rei Zero is great.. i strongly recommend it!
Old 2009-04-15, 08:01   Link #18
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
This one does work, you forgot Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru, even if their relationship can be ambiguous at times.
Ah damn! i forgot about Sesshomaru! However it's not like they have conflicting objectives, they simply can't stand each others. They do fight in many occasions though.

Old 2009-04-18, 22:25   Link #19
theorys
Astral Traveller

Trigun. Really great series, alot of plot twists. Not going to tell you but it's exactly what you are looking for.
Old 2009-04-19, 00:14   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

There are quite a number of animes with this element..

Ga-Rei ~Zero~: Due to a series of misunderstandings, one sister seeks the death of another.

Kannagi: If you follow the mythology, then they are not siblings. However, the two girls claim to be siblings.

Kurogane no Linebarrels: Definitely.. Unless you watch the entire series, you are probably going to disagree.

Nabari no Ou: Two good people, one misunderstood and one didn't bother explaining, the hatred resulted in the form of a death duel by the way of the sword resulting in one hospitalized.

Persona ~Trinity Soul~: Not exactly enemies but due to some unpleasant incident involving one brother to lose control of his persona resulted in another's hatred.

Xenosaga: Like Kannagi, the guys here really aren't siblings but they claim as such. The three remaining brothers each have a different objective and resulted in a death clash.
Closed Thread