AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-07, 01:33   Link #1
BwanaKuu

Overpowerful/not underdog main character?

I'm getting a bit bored with series where the main character is always the underdog and achieves his goals just through will and determination.

Are there any series where the main character is very powerful, maybe even a little overpowered but the series is more about how they defeat evenly powered opponents? Isn't also doesn't need to be an action series, but just not one where the main character is the "underdog" or "loser" at the beginning (even Romance could work if the character is already very confident in himself and not the typical boring lameass that most lead males are). Basically, the show shouldn't be the cliche story where a normal/underdog character rises to become amazing through will and determination. I do like these series, but I've seen one too many at this point and need a change of pace. So instead of willpower being the determinant in the main character reaching his goals, something like how he uses his intelligence or strategy to beat his evenly matched opponent or achieve some goal that is realistic for him (just as an example, an athlete that is already very skilled and the show more centers around their tactics and such).

Some examples from what I've already seen:
Takumi in Initial D - While his car is underpowered, his driving skills are evenly matched or better than his opponents
Code Geass - Lelouch is very smart and strategic
Old 2009-05-07, 02:10   Link #2
jedinat

Hellsing (2006) - from Alucard's perspective...yeah
Trigun - plays the fool, but is not
Aishiteru ze Baby - romance where the guy isn't allergic to girls
Kino no Tabi - outsider rather than underdog
Shura no Toki - protagonist is refreshingly overpowered
Old 2009-05-07, 02:16   Link #3
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
chrome shelled regios's layfon the brofistman?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-05-07, 02:42   Link #4
qwertyuiopz

yakitate japan...overpowered a lot actually lol
Old 2009-05-07, 04:43   Link #5
Autumn Demon
~

death note
yakushiji ryoko no kaiki jikenbo
trigun
rurouni kenshin
Old 2009-05-07, 05:18   Link #6
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

seconding Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Hellsing, and Kino's Journey. Hellsing especially since Alucard only has to use a relatively small amount of his power to fight even strong opponents. And when he uses more, crazy ass fucking shit happens, and it's glorious.
Old 2009-05-07, 07:25   Link #7
zareba

Spiral

Ayumu does have moments of low self-confidence, but in every episode he shows his skills in "defeating" the Blade Children with his wits.
Old 2009-05-07, 07:29   Link #8
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Hellsing Ultimate (OVA series)
There is still no one who surpasses Alucard as the most powerful, most frightening and debase vampire in popular media history.
(This is me taking in account a lot of teen vamp novels, Hollywood movies, Buffy series and a few other vampire fantasy related media in the last decade that I've fawned over.)

He ("It" even) is a walking, living nightmare beyond sanity....
To be honest, I'm half expecting to see if he can even be killed. xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Hellsing especially since Alucard only has to use a relatively small amount of his power to fight even strong opponents. And when he uses more, crazy ass fucking shit happens, and it's glorious.
That sums it up quite nicely, if I don't say so myself

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-07, 10:02   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Speed Racer?

Never seen it but I hear Fist Of The North Star is like this.

Ranma 1/2 is the only one I can think of. Although there is a lot of "will and determination" driving Ranma to new heights of martial arts madness, Ranma is just as likely to trick or outsmart his opponents. As expected by a practitioner of "Anything Goes Martial Arts"

In the Ranma universe Ryoga is probably the champion of the will and determination route- and he almost always ends up second best.

But Ranma is more of a comedy the plays with all the traditional martial arts tropes, so I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for.

"From the Depths of Despair" is probably the arc that most clearly shows that Ranma can beat his opponent by thinking instead of sheer will power.
Old 2009-05-07, 10:56   Link #10
BwanaKuu

LOL, completely forgot about Alucard in Hellsing. That was the first anime I ever saw (original TV series) and with the OVA, he definitely is what I'm looking for. So anymore with a character of similar power would be awesome.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.
Old 2009-05-07, 11:26   Link #11
Xacual

Maybe Kaze no Stigma would work?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2009-05-07, 13:00   Link #12
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I second Kaze no Stigma and koukaku no Regios
Old 2009-05-07, 14:38   Link #13
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Sengoku Basara is probably a good one that's airing right now, everyone in it is ridiculously uber-powerful.
Old 2009-05-07, 15:45   Link #14
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Old 2009-05-07, 16:26   Link #15
marcusJulius

The anime you are describing is my favorite type and these are the ones I've really liked. There are a lot of different genres, but one thing they have in common is intelligent and/or powerful main character.

prince of tennis
gundam seed& destiny
death note
basilisk
utarawameronu
code geass
kenshin
kaze no stigma
chrome shelled regios
Rental Magica
nodame cantabile
legend of galactic heroes
Old 2009-05-08, 03:06   Link #16
blewin

second and third Kaze no Stigma and Chrome Shelled Regios.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-05-08, 10:20   Link #17
Asfad

Akagi is the first thing that comes to mind. Watch the first few episodes and get an idea of his character. Should be exactly what you are looking for. Just got to get used to the art style.

The Type Moon works also come to mind, particularly Kara no Kyoukai. Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night don't exactly fit your criteria, but i'd classify their main characters as ones with hidden abilities, more than underdogs.
Old 2009-05-08, 18:18   Link #18
-HyugaNeji-

LoL. Fist of the Northstar is the pure definition of what you seek. Ok it might be a bit outdated, but the main character is someone you don't fuck with. For heaven sake, he just needs to touch you in a specific way and you're head will explode
Old 2009-05-09, 06:50   Link #19
Emobunny

One Piece Luffy is IMBA imo
Old 2009-05-12, 07:31   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Guin is your man, or demi-human perhaps.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-13 at 15:31.
Closed Thread