AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 08:37   Link #1
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

Naruto - if it LOOKS like chakra, and TASTES like chakra...

yet another doodle frenzy. whenever I don't have a precise image in mind I usually go for a generic comic book cover/splash page look. this is because:

A. the composition lends itself to exciting poses (even if they would make no sense out of context) bold perspectives, etc.

B. I don't have to draw backgrounds, arguably my least favorite thing to draw.

so, here's some characters, all looking like something dramatic is happening... but, who knows?

once again, if all you wanted was to see some pencil lines on paper, scroll past the next part and hit that post button (comments of any type always appreciated).
otherwise, prepare yourself for another, albeit much shorter, look into my mind.

**************THE IMPETUS WITHIN**************

Sasuke, Kakashi and Hinata are all fundamentally unchanged as this started as Sasuke with the thoughts that there would be characters 'inside' his shirt. Kakashi and Hinata were added later to fill out the composition. Naruto and Lee, however, are different, maybe even older looking? because I was putting more creativity and time into whoever I chose for the inner characters.

I was pretty sure that one of them would be Naruto, as I really wanted to try my hand at a Kyuubi (spelling? drat) as well as Naruto absolutely freaking. mission accomplished, methinks.

I gave fox-boy what appears to be some sort of synthetic-track-suit-looking-thing (much like, I believe, Nike just came out with?) with the leaf symbol on the chest. his forehead protector isn't included, but I really had no 'story' as to why it's gone. so, lets just assume Something’s changed with Naruto that prompted him to upgrade his duds.

you'll notice this is the same Lee from my last sketch. THIS picture is actually where I drew him in new clothes FIRST. you'll notice a few differences (odd 'sun' pattern on his shoulder, a few other sundry details) but this picture sparked my desire to draw a larger Lee in this getup. here, however, I wanted to have him rolling up the sleeve over his previously damaged arm to show that he's ready for action and that his arm doesn't seem to be slowing him down anymore.

I'm happy with the Kyubii (is THIS the right spelling?) as I'm not used to drawing 'feral' animals (primarily drawing *gasp* furry art) my only post-pencil caveat would be that it has a remarkably human looking shoulder, but since I'm really HAPPY with it's arm, I'm not going to change it.

my final note of personal triumph is that, using the 'comic' style of drawing, I tend to not pencil shade, leaving any clean up to my inks. it stands to reason that without practice, I lack skill. this has the negative effect of leaving sketches, and especially 'busy' sketches such as this one, very confusing. I'm happy because this may be the busiest sketch of mine that's still fairly distinct and legible. I guess an old dog CAN learn new tricks :P
***************END TOO MUCH DAMN TALKING*****************

still way long. see? this is why I need my OWN publishing deal, so I can quit talking about drawing, and start DOING IT.

well, I've got one publishing deal "in progress" (meaning I'm still waiting on the final word that I should start drawing) so you'll only have to put up with my ramblings for a short while longer.
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 10:44   Link #2
Tboz

Wow, way cool.

Saw both pictures, but I'm posting in this one to say both of them are excellent. One little problem here, even if that is 3/4 of Sasuke's back I'm seeing, should his neck be able to turn so much?
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 10:46   Link #3
zillford

yeah, I was waiting for someone to ask this. when I started it was meant to be a front view. I agree that the way I have his shirt and shoulders angled it looks like a broken-necked over-the-shoulder pose. I'd fix it... but, y'know...

:EDIT:
alright, look at Sasukes shoulder right about where Naruto's head is, now if you accept that that's HIS right shoulder, and he's holding his arm up abit (like the fonz, heeeey) and that his damn big useless collar is larger in the front (I actually can't remember, off hand, is it?) THEN, and only then will you see what I was thinking...

or else he's practicing yoga... REALLY HARD
Old 2004-02-26, 10:47   Link #4
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
O_o Wow, thats awesome, I like how theres alot a movement in the picture and how you cleverly avoided backgrouds like I desperately try to do many a times. It'd look really good in color and I like the composition of your piece so much. Great job.
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 11:01   Link #5
zillford

hey, thanks so much.

well, I like to avoid backgrounds when doodling, but if you're serious about your art you should really make yourself draw the things you hate MORE than the things you like.

it was the same way with hands and feet for awhile, I used to hide my hands, or make them into fists always... then I buckled down and made myself draw "hand heavy" pictures for awhile. now I'm pretty comfortable with them.

I've moved onto backgrounds now, but while I may have to draw them, I don't have to follow any damn guides such as "reality" and "true perspective". if you want to know what I'm talking about, look up "forced perspective" as well as take a look at Humberto Ramos' work (recent spiderman of somesort, Out There, Crimson... and somthing like Tsunami/Kamikaze or somthing...) he doesn't let backgrounds (even highly technical backgrounds like buildings and such) stop him from treating his pencil like a nunchaku. he is my personal 'art god' and the extra bonus of his style is that it's REALLY fast, as it's highly graffiti influenced.
Old 2004-02-26, 11:07   Link #6
calavera spain
empty mind

Send a message via MSN to calavera spain
i think that the rock lee here is much better than the one in the other thread and maybe that narutos ayes need a bit more of depth coz just now the face looks a bit flat....the rest is fantastic ...............great job!!!

by the way that fox is impresive!!
calavera spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 11:14   Link #7
Kitsune-bi

Send a message via ICQ to Kitsune-bi
That sketch is really impresive It does give a very american comic book feel. But works. The changes you made to Naruto and Lee look great and you can still tell who they are.
Kitsune-bi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 11:20   Link #8
zillford

thankee thankee,

also, thanks for the crits Calvera, I see what you mean about Naruto's face, maybe his right eye should be behind his nose more?

also, what makes this Rock Lee look better to you? just curious.
Old 2004-02-26, 11:58   Link #9
calavera spain
empty mind

Send a message via MSN to calavera spain
he look like an anbu jejeje someone really powerfull........ and ye maybe putting naruto's aye where u say it would make him look better
calavera spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 19:39   Link #10
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Awesome. Keep up the great work man. Really lovin' it.
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 23:56   Link #11
Luly_Sugar

Send a message via ICQ to Luly_Sugar
Very nice ^_^, i like your art!
Luly_Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 22:38   Link #12
Chibi Dude
Super Froog Man

now that is some nice fan art its cool how you combined Rock lee naruto sasuke hinata and kakashi into 1 picture so well.
Very nice
Chibi Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 22:51   Link #13
Shuin
FireflyBomber

Wow thats an awesome pic great job you are very good and its blue my favorite color hehe! again great job BYE!
Shuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 04:41   Link #14
zillford

thanks folks...

the combination of characters is mostly random, Chibi, but I'm glad you liked it!
Old 2004-03-02, 03:05   Link #15
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Alright, I dont have much to comment on the rest, so I'll just stick to the 2 most changed characters.

Naruto: Hes a bit too furry for my taste, hes never really gotten that feral, even in full on "you killed my best "friend" rival, I'll fuggin tear you to shreds" mode. I say get rid of the lines on his body, its obviously sort of to outline fur colorings, and I dont think he really needs it with them purdy claws and eyes :P

Lee: He looks down right awsome, you've improved on the original characters design. When he drops the "gai sensei is the greatest" crap, I could only hope he looks that cool. Most noteable reason for that is the bandana, and even moreso the hair. The bowl cut never did anything for me. Suggestion though, I cant tell if hes shirtless or not, given the fact that its only blue and white. I'd recommend a nice black/extremely dark blue sleeveless shirt, sort of like Psylock but without the breasts, and general femininity. And give him a olive drab loose pair of pants with plenty of pockets, and a bandage or two higher up for the obvious reasons. He'd look kickin :P

Thats about all I have to comment on, hope I gave some good ideas, and general help in the matter
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 13:43   Link #16
zillford

thanks for all the comments, I love when people have thoughts and ideas on my work.

It is understandable to not be able to tell if Lee has a shirt or not; like you said, it just being blue and white. he's supposed to be wearing a suit similar to his original one, only jet black. interesting idea on the loose pants, who knows, I might try it.

as for Naruto, I don't see the 'fur colorings' that you mention, but I -think- I can guess what you're seeing. realize that he has baggy pants and a form fitting top (not unlike Lee's in texture) the top has two colors, black where it's shaded, and a shimmery blue-white where it's not. I'm guessing that since the deliniation follows the same general shapes that fur patterning often does, that you saw it as that. the only feral things I gave him are the claws, eyes, and his trademark 'whiskers'. if that's STILL not what you're talking about, let me know, as I didn't intend for him to be furry.

hee hee, a furry Naruto... now look, you've made me go and have to get MORE ideas.

on a random related note, am I the only one who thinks that, if anthropomorphised, Neji would be a ferret? o.O yeah, I'm strange.
Old 2004-03-03, 14:26   Link #17
Demon_Spawn67
Kain

i can't believ i am so bored that i read ur ramblings...

lol but i like the pics and teh ramblings
Demon_Spawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 14:29   Link #18
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
... OMG THAT IS SOME GREAT STUFF.... My friend sitting next to me is thinking that this kind of artwork is a "challange" to him... He said that he will pound you when he gets on it.. (personally i think he is full of it).. but i will post the picture when he is done with it.. XD
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 18:16   Link #19
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillford
as for Naruto, I don't see the 'fur colorings' that you mention, but I -think- I can guess what you're seeing. realize that he has baggy pants and a form fitting top (not unlike Lee's in texture) the top has two colors, black where it's shaded, and a shimmery blue-white where it's not. I'm guessing that since the deliniation follows the same general shapes that fur patterning often does, that you saw it as that. the only feral things I gave him are the claws, eyes, and his trademark 'whiskers'. if that's STILL not what you're talking about, let me know, as I didn't intend for him to be furry.
Ah, again given the lack of color, I figured you were sort of outlining the shades of fur, like thunder cats *shudder*

I'm not really sure about furry wise, but ferrets would make a great companion for neji, sorta like akamaru, with kiba.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 18:23   Link #20
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
naaaah! NOT THUNDERCATS!!! I thought I'd never have to see that again.
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote