AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 20:39   Link #1
Wolfwood2970

Computer Problems

uhhhg im having a really hard time right now with my computer

whenever I double click the shortcut to internet explorer (or any links or anything that opens up internet explorer) I get a message that says that my the computer has to shut down Internet explorer RIGHT AWAY (u know the message that has the options Send or Dont Send the problems)... anywho this happens to me ALL the time now and i cant even get on the internet

Ive had people help me out and I tried downloading different versions of Internet explorer by it doesnt help.... This has become a real problem to me where i cant even get on the internet I myself pay for

anyhow please help me out this is very troublesome....

*Note* the only reason why im on the internet now is because im using someone elses computer
Wolfwood2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 20:43   Link #2
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood2970
uhhhg im having a really hard time right now with my computer

whenever I double click the shortcut to internet explorer (or any links or anything that opens up internet explorer) I get a message that says that my the computer has to shut down Internet explorer RIGHT AWAY (u know the message that has the options Send or Dont Send the problems)... anywho this happens to me ALL the time now and i cant even get on the internet

Ive had people help me out and I tried downloading different versions of Internet explorer by it doesnt help.... This has become a real problem to me where i cant even get on the internet I myself pay for

anyhow please help me out this is very troublesome....

*Note* the only reason why im on the internet now is because im using someone elses computer
this belongs in the tech support forum, but anyways... this sounds like spyware or a virus or maybe a trojan. scan your computer for all of these. if that doesn't work go and reformat and start over(i reformat all the time, i have lots o machine to back up to though).
Old 2004-02-26, 20:54   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
uhhhg... internet explorer... different versions of Internet explorer... a real problem...

anyhow please help me out this is very troublesome...
Uhhhg is right! How about using a different browser? I started using Opera a long time ago but it is not free. A free browser that is 75% as good is Firefox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChild
if that doesn't work go and reformat and start over(i reformat all the time, i have lots o machine to back up to though).
I don't think this is good general advice, and certainly not good advice in this case at this stage where no other system problems have been mentioned. And there is no mention of backing up files etc.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 20:55   Link #4
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Wolfwood - I've had the same problem...although probably for different reasons then you...

my problem existed cause my cable modem wasn't properly installed...so while i had a connection..it never actually connected (cause of problem mentioned before)
*note - this was my problem...doing this will not affect anything with yours*

the way i fixed it was...i formated my whole pc..and reinstalled everything

but i doubt that was the answer you wanted to hear was it

Last edited by Superchop; 2004-02-26 at 22:55.
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 21:07   Link #5
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I don't think this is good general advice, and certainly not good advice in this case at this stage where no other system problems have been mentioned. And there is no mention of backing up files etc.
i reformat all the time but i forgot that not all people have the knowlege/backup space to do this. i reformat about every month, i started using norton ghost to make images, it helps save time.
Old 2004-02-26, 22:09   Link #6
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChild
i reformat all the time but i forgot that not all people have the knowlege/backup space to do this. i reformat about every month, i started using norton ghost to make images, it helps save time.
Hope you in the market for a new HD, because thats where you heading -_-

For the problem with Wolfs IE, run some virus checks and some spyware programs, make sure nothing nasty is lurking around. Also try updating windows and IE itself, sometimes crap comes out that messes with the programs and some updates cures that. last resort, reformat -_- No point in ghosting an image of your HD, you'll just ghost the problem anyway.
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 22:47   Link #7
Shift_

if it's win XP run the SFC.

Put in the Win XP cd go to start-->run-->sfc /scannow

I do this for a living helping Comcast customers wheee

That basiclly runs the Windows File protection checker, which should also "repair" Internet Explorer.

But other things could be TCP/IP is currupt so start-->run-->netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Remember reboot after every thing
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 15:06   Link #8
Wolfwood2970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
if it's win XP run the SFC.

Put in the Win XP cd go to start-->run-->sfc /scannow

I do this for a living helping Comcast customers wheee

That basiclly runs the Windows File protection checker, which should also "repair" Internet Explorer.

But other things could be TCP/IP is currupt so start-->run-->netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Remember reboot after every thing

whats an SFC?

netsh in ip reset resetlog.txt???? gah this is confusing
Wolfwood2970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 19:13   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

here is a little advice, when you get your problme fix, go to mizilla.com and download firefox, it is the best browser available.

as for you proble, go to

start - programs - accesories - system tools - system information - click on tools, then click file signature verification utility, it will check to see if the file signature has been changed in anything.

also, depending on how long ago this started, why not trying a system restore? you are running XP right?
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 20:53   Link #10
linuxguru

Quote:
whats an SFC?

netsh in ip reset resetlog.txt???? gah this is confusing
System File Checker. It's been around since Windows 98. What it does is scan the critical files in Windows. If they're corrupted SFC will replace them with known good ones from the Windows CD-ROM. This can solve some system stability problems. It can also screw up your system to the point where it won't even boot. Backup everthing important BEFORE using this tool. Also, did your system come with a genuine Windows CD-ROM or just a set of restore CDs? The SFC will need the Windows CD unless the original installation files have been copied to your hard disk and you know where they are.

At this point your system is probably messed up beyond repair. You're better off wiping the disk and restoring the computer back to factory condition. Then update your antivirus software and visit Windows Update. Reinstall all your applications after that.
linuxguru is offline   Reply With Quote