Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-30, 15:31   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

Strong Male Leads

I want some anime with strong male leads - not necessarily badass (that's cool though) but just deep in character, personality, etc. Preferred genres - fantasy, sci-fi, drama, action. I like darker things, but please don't get overly adult/gory.

A few characters I liked:

- Roy Mustang in FMA (he's not the lead but he's my ideal character)
- Hei in Darker than BLACK
- Tenma and Johan in Monster

And yes, they have to be male. One more thing - I like shorter series. But if it's good - why not? I mean, I'm watching Monster... 74 episodes

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2009-09-30 at 16:32.
Old 2009-09-30, 16:05   Link #2
DanielSong39

How about Hellsing? It is consistently well-reviewed and the main character more than meets your description. 13 episodes, so it's not too long.
Old 2009-09-30, 16:13   Link #3
chaos_alfa

If you are going to watch Hellsing I recommend watching the OVA series of Hellsing rather than the tv series, because the OVA adapts the manga much more faithfully and has the better visuals.

The OVA is still ongoing and has long passed the point where the TV series starts doing it's own thing.
Old 2009-09-30, 17:00   Link #4
goodman528

Legend of Galactic Heroes has nothing but strong male leads. Not badass, and not "cool" like teenager hanging on streets kind of cool either. All of them are deep with different and memorable personalities. The series was made about 20 years ago, and it has 4 seasons, with about 25 episodes in each season.

However... ... it's style of story telling is very different from most modern anime. There are no cool flashy special fighting moves, and no special effects that gives you a seizure. No cherry blossom petals falling all over the place, let's stare at the stars kind of romance scenes. And in my opinion, no cheese or cliches either... well, give it a try, the pace is a bit slow at the start, but it picks up very quickly because there are so many characters and so many stories going on at the same time... but it never gets too confusing that you can't follow it.

LoGH, is a very "classic" series.
Old 2009-10-01, 13:15   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You might like Zwei in Phantom:Requeim for the Phantom. That's the guy on my avatar.
Old 2009-10-01, 17:06   Link #7
Niji

Utawarerumono - male lead should be along your lines
Old 2009-10-01, 20:17   Link #8
NightSamurai

I'll third Zwei from Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and add Layfon from Chrome Shelled Regios.
Old 2009-10-01, 20:32   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

Hmm... Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom sounds really interesting. I was also considering LOGH since quite a while ago. Hellsing and Utawarerumono are also on my list... Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
Old 2009-10-02, 01:35   Link #10
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

If you want an anime that contains a strong male lead and one of the best male leads I've seen in anime to date, that would have to be Tomoya from Clannad. Tomoya is such a deep character while physically and mentally fighting through life to earn himself some happiness but sometimes life just isn't fair.

Anyways, I highly recommend Clannad and it's second season, Clannad: After Story which makes his development complete.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-10-02, 14:08   Link #11
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
BLAME! I never seen the anime but the manga is beyond me. What is better than Killy going around with his GBE?
Old 2009-10-04, 14:26   Link #12
Godly_senselessness

Kaze no Stigma has a very strong male lead.
Old 2009-10-04, 17:35   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, I like Kou from Cross Game, and Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Old 2009-10-04, 22:42   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am not exactly sure what do you mean by strong . For me personally strong tends to be gar/manly . But the characters mentioned in Op.Post are far from GAR and no disrespect to the chara fans . The closest to GAR you will get is S.Kira mentioned and that is Sengokku Basara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Here are some suggestions:
Sengoku BASARA
Old 2009-10-04, 23:32   Link #15
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I wouldn't personally recommend them due to insane length episode-wise, but you might want to go with any of the Shounen Big Three for strong male leads: Bleach, One Piece and Naruto

Most of the strong ones have been given already, but a few other ones are S-CRY-Ed's Kazuma, Casshern Sins (though it does get dark at the end, but Casshern himself remains strong throughout the entire series), Shounen Omyouji, possibly Black Lagoon (even though Rock isn't badass, he has insane determination and other skills), NEEDLESS (okay, the technical main character is weak, but there's another main lead who's GAR... outside the HUGE weakness), Black Blood Brothers, Rurouni Kenshin, and if you want a few other old but good series as well, there's Orphen and Yu Yu Hakusho. Then there's all the classic mecha series like Macross and Gundam

damn, I've seen so much anime I'm having a hard time recalling half of it

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2009-10-04, 23:44   Link #16
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Sagara Sousuke, Full Metal Panic.
Old 2009-10-05, 02:46   Link #17
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Gungrave was pretty outstanding, both for story and character. The whole theme of the show may be a little more adult than you're searching for, but I don't recall the show being overly gory.

Also, seconding Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm watching it through a second time, and both Yusuke and Kuwabara are strong characters.
Old 2009-10-05, 05:01   Link #18
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
If you want an anime that contains a strong male lead and one of the best male leads I've seen in anime to date, that would have to be Tomoya from Clannad. Tomoya is such a deep character while physically and mentally fighting through life to earn himself some happiness but sometimes life just isn't fair.

Anyways, I highly recommend Clannad and it's second season, Clannad: After Story which makes his development complete.
Tch, Dex-kun beat me to it. Seriously, go watch Clannad. Come down to my house this Saturday for a 16 hour marathon if you want.

As for a non-Clannad suggestion, I'll have to suggest Kaze no Stigma. He male lead was very weak in his youth, and was exiled from him family because of that, but then he comes back four years later all badass and can beat all of them without flinching.

I feel somewhat tempted to recommend Bleach as well. Although the male lead is somewhat of an idiot, he is literally... strong. Very strong. The anime is filled with endless fillers, though, since they decided to piggyback ride the manga.

Oh, and if you watch Clannad and enjoy it, I would suggest Air and Kanon 2006.
Old 2009-10-05, 12:12   Link #19
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Gungrave > Brandon Heat.

Old 2009-10-05, 15:05   Link #20
Haladflire65
*Artist

I think I'll like Gungrave - I like adult stuff as long as it's not too extreme. As for some of the other suggestions, like Bleach and Naruto - sorry I forgot to mention that I have this thing against Jump Shounens.

Right. I should tell everyone that I don't like Shounens unless it's Fullmetal Alchemist, which means more adult characters appeal to me. I'm sorry I'm so picky.

Just to clarify, 'strong' can mean strong in character or personality, so I'm not just looking for gar. Even though that's cool, too.