AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-22, 20:56   Link #1
retardation
phantom loser

do any of these newer slice of life shows have male characters?

i see a lot of slice of life/azumaga inspired titles out in the last few years but they all seem like they follow a group of girls.

i'd like to see a slice of life type show but having 100% female characters doesn't really interest me anymore.

for example, i like the show minami ke because it had some male characters in there.
Old 2009-11-22, 22:03   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Have you watched Genshiken? It has a primarily male cast. there's also ristorante paradiso and bartender.
Old 2009-11-22, 22:22   Link #3
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Have you watched Genshiken? It has a primarily male cast. there's also ristorante paradiso and bartender.
yep seen all those. i'm thinking more about shows that came out in like the last 2 years (though i realize restorante paradiso is new)
Old 2009-11-22, 22:29   Link #4
Proto

Hmm... well there is a balanced cast in Mahou Tsukai ni taisetsuna koto: Natsu no sora. The older first season also had a good number of male characters.
Old 2009-11-22, 23:19   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is a good post, and something I've noted before as a trend. And I don't think there's a lot out there to remedy it. Though it's not really a slice-of-life I'd throw Cross Game out there, because it has a great male cast and certainly is paced like a slice-of-life at times.
Old 2009-11-22, 23:46   Link #6
coren

I agree that this is one of the things that elevated Minami-ke.

I can't really think of many suggestions, except maybe Moyashimon, though I'm not sure that's a true slice-of-life anime.
Old 2009-11-23, 05:11   Link #7
npcomplete

Sora no Manimani is pretty new (last season) and has a male lead.

Kyou no Go no Ni 2007 OVA and 2008 TV and 2009 OVA features a male main character and a couple male sidekicks

If you consider Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 to be slice-of-life-after-an-earthquake, that also has a male characters of course

And most recently with male characters:
- Kimi ni Todoke
- Fuyu no Sonata
Old 2009-11-23, 10:31   Link #8
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Seitokai no Ichizon has a primarily female cast, but the "main" character is a male.
Old 2009-11-25, 03:36   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

Thing is, guys aren't moe. A lot of the newer slice of life shows use moe as part of their selling point.
Old 2009-11-25, 04:11   Link #10
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Nyan Koi is a great show from 2009 that is slice of life with male character. should delinitely check it out.
Old 2009-11-25, 10:54   Link #11
Proto

That is, I give up, I will just never enter any thread that has slice of life in the title anymore. It just infuriates me to no end.
Old 2009-11-25, 11:25   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Huh. That's odd. I would've thought Cross Game was most definately a Slice of Life...
Old 2009-11-25, 11:40   Link #13
Proto

By that I didn't imply that I don't like slice of life, but that people's vision of what is slice of life nowadays is just something I can't agree with at all, which usually leads to me discussing what is slice of life, which usually leads to no one actually agreeing anything.

e.g. Nyan Koi as slice of life when it is more like school comedy romance was like a hook to the guts for me.
Old 2009-11-25, 13:00   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Thing is, guys aren't moe.
Don't tell that to July, Ciel (Kuroshitsuji), Mako-chan and Tarou (Ghost Hound). Of course, only Minami-ke is slice of life from that list, and that's already been recommended.
Old 2009-11-26, 23:43   Link #15
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That is, I give up, I will just never enter any thread that has slice of life in the title anymore. It just infuriates me to no end.
i never really understood what "slice of life" was supposed to mean.

i always figured it just an anime-watcher term for a sitcom without a romance or any other genre/objective driven plot (a show about nothing).

in no way am i the boss of how the term is used or anything but, for example, in my view, i wouldn't say cross game is a slice of life since the show has a plot with an objective. it's not like a show about how some baseball playing teens spend their days. it's more like a show about teens trying to make it into a tournament and two people forming a relationship.

although i guess it's true that shows that are supposed to have an overarching plot often have many episodes that don't advance the plot and become quasi-slice-of-life.
Old 2009-11-27, 00:01   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
i wouldn't say cross game is a slice of life since the show has a plot with an objective. it's not like a show about how some baseball playing teens spend their days. it's more like a show about teens trying to make it into a tournament and two people forming a relationship.

although i guess it's true that shows that are supposed to have an overarching plot often have many episodes that don't advance the plot and become quasi-slice-of-life.
The story-telling style in many anime shows, particularly dramatic ones, is often very slowly paced by Western standards, so shows as unlike each other as Moribito, Kure-nai, and Cross Game all have periods where the plot is left dangling while the lives of the characters are portrayed. In many cases there's character development going on (Chagum's maturation in the cave in Moribito, for instance) even though the plot is not really advancing. Obviously these shows are still far removed from what we might consider a "pure" slice-of-life show like Hidamari Sketch where each episode simply depicts a randomly-selected day in the lives of the four main girls. Shinbo reinforces the point by showing the episodes out of order. That clearly wouldn't work for any of the other shows I've listed. I tend to refer to shows like Moribito as comedies or dramas with occasional slice-of-life "features," for lack of a better way to categorize them.
Old 2009-11-27, 22:50   Link #17
retardation
phantom loser

totally on a tangent here but i don't get that at all from cross game. in cross game i can put almost every episode into one of two categories: ones that advance the romantic plot or ones that advance the baseball plot. maybe that's just me though or maybe i'm just forgetting what episodes i've seen.

cross game is truly awesome btw. it's like celaxa animated.
Old 2009-11-27, 23:01   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can see that point of view as well. I see the "plot" of Cross Game as the development of Kou and his team and their progression to higher and higher levels of success. In that it reminds me of other "shounen development" shows like Hikaru no Go. Having watched thorough episode 33, I'm not sure there has yet been a "romantic" plot.

Spoiler for romance in Cross Game:

I've been surprised by how entertaining Cross Game is. My teen-aged daugher, who only watches little bits of baseball now and then when the Red Sox appear on our TV, has become addicted to this show.
Closed Thread