AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-01, 14:52   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 583 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well now, well now.... As soon as Golden Week ends, we get what's probably the earliest spoiler ever! Let's check out its contents, shall we? Of course, credit goes to aohige for translation:

-Chapter title is "Final Destination for the uncertain". Also, judging from the pic, it looks like we have a new ministory focusing on Dr. Hogback and Absalom.

-Dadan tells Luffy that she'll provide him with food and water, but he'll have to hunt for meat himself. She has him do errands in the house to earn his keep, but he abandons his duties to follow Ace, who had left the house to go who-knows-where. Ace comes back to the house before Luffy, who returns a week later all beaten up (lol ).

-However, Luffy doesn't stop following Ace, and continues to do so for the coming months. After about 3 months, he follows Ace to a place called the Grey Terminal, which is filled with mountains of trash. There, Ace meets up with a boy named Sabo, who he seems to get into all sorts of mischief with. They've been saving up money so they can become pirates, and Luffy tells them that he wants to become one too when he catches up to them. Ace and Sabo tie Luffy to a tree and attempt to kill him for discovering their dirty secret, but they don't have the heart to do it, as they've never killed anyone before.

-A big man who turns out to be the victim of Ace's larceny scheme is looking for the young thief, and runs into Luffy. He catches him and asks him if he knows Ace. Luffy says he does, but when asked about the whereabouts of the money, Luffy says he doesn't know anything. However, Luffy's a bad liar and the man doesn't buy his story. He then says that he'll make Luffy remember, and takes the young boy with him somewhere. It may be up to Sabo and Ace to rescue Luffy now.....

Quite an interesting chapter, this. Glad to see Oda's already addressing the identity of Sabo (wonder if HE turned out to be a famous pirate like Ace...?). It also figures that Luffy and Ace would end up getting each other into trouble. I wonder what Ace and Sabo are going to do now since it looks like that big man is going to ransom Luffy for the return of his money.....?

Also, about the ministory: Gotta love seeing Hogback and Absalom surrounded by hot beach babes (both human AND animal!). It's no Foxy ministory, but it'll do. Maybe the fact that they're getting a ministory means that Moria may not have died at Dofla's hands after all.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-05-01 at 16:58.
Old 2010-05-01, 14:56   Link #2
Prestige

Yeah it seems that Ace and Luffy really didnt had best start together

Might be funny chapter, Luffy is so gullible.
Old 2010-05-01, 15:15   Link #3
marvelB

Heh, if it turns out that Sabo doesn't die during the flashback, I wonder how many people will say that he's one of the Yonkou or something (which of course wouldn't make sense for multiple reasons, but probably wouldn't stop people from making that assumption, anyway)? However, if he's still around in the present time and is actually an active pirate, I guess I can see the possibility of him being one of the top crewmen of Kaidou or Big Mom (or heck, maybe he's in Shanks' crew.... we don't really know much about that newbie Rockstar guy, do we? ). Funny how a single spoiler instantly got me more interested in Sabo than Dadan (though I definitely want to see more of her, too)......
Old 2010-05-01, 16:25   Link #4
james0246

^I always thought that the way Ace mentioned Sabo (right before his death) was a little odd.

Specifically, I'm going to predict right now that Sabo is going to die, or at least be really really badly injured. Luffy being captured is a very obvious way to show the emergence of the bond between the "brothers" (especially when Ace sees how far Luffy will go to protect him, even though Ace almost kills Luffy in this chapter), but Sabo could be a way of showing how Ace got off of his emo-trip and became the more cheerful person we all know (and some love). I do not say this with any certainty, but Sabo's potential death could be a very good way of showing all the chibis growth.
Old 2010-05-01, 16:58   Link #5
John D.

I was looking forward to Luffy's flashback, as Oda only has revealed a few bits of his history before (i.e. meeting Shanks, raised and groomed by Garp/Dadan), and this looks to be amusing...especially the bit about Luffy being a terrible liar^.

^Regarding Sabo, I'm tired and initially forgot the fellow Ace mentioned before his death, so I misstook the midget Sabo for a young Saldeath (they do look very alike though). I didn't get the impression that he was dead when Ace mentioned him (granted, it was very brief), but it could well be that he was griviously injured and had to put his pirate dreams aside and stay ashore.
Old 2010-05-01, 17:07   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I always thought that the way Ace mentioned Sabo (right before his death) was a little odd.

Specifically, I'm going to predict right now that Sabo is going to die, or at least be really really badly injured. Luffy being captured is a very obvious way to show the emergence of the bond between the "brothers" (especially when Ace sees how far Luffy will go to protect him, even though Ace almost kills Luffy in this chapter), but Sabo could be a way of showing how Ace got off of his emo-trip and became the more cheerful person we all know (and some love). I do not say this with any certainty, but Sabo's potential death could be a very good way of showing all the chibis growth.

While it's definitely possible that Sabo may die, that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. After all, not every major flashback character has died (Zeff merely ate one of his legs, Tom is only presumed to be dead since he was sent to Enies Lobby, yet he was never seen or mentioned in Impel Down (well, unless you want to count Roche Tomson), and while Calico Yorki was seriously ill, we've still had no evidence of him actually succumbing to his disease.....). So yeah, there may be a good chance that Sabo is still alive in the present, though whether or not he'll be crippled is anyone's guess. However, I doubt that losing a limb or two would stop Sabo from being a potentially awesome character (after all, losing an arm didn't stop Shanks from becoming an emperor, did it? ).
Old 2010-05-01, 17:45   Link #7
seiji_kun

Glad that the Sabo thing got revealed so fast and didn't take ages like Jinbei. So he is indeed a person, and what looks like Ace's best friend back then. (And damn, is it only me or does Sabo look a lot like chibi Zoro?, the frame where he gets introduced)

Quote:

+1. Exactly what I was thinking. Luffy remembering how Ace got over Sabo's death would be a good way to show him how he's got to get over Ace's death. And I wouldn't put much money on Sabo's survival either.

And some things just does lead me to think that there's a fat chance that he's indeed dead. Not beeing in their flashbacks. If he'd be alive I'd expect him to have participated in the drinking were they became brothers. Luffy not asking after Sabo the first time he met up with Ace (though it could be Oda just recently came up with him but we are speaking of the man that had Jinbei and Brooke and Hancock already ages in his head before they got introduced). Sabo not trying to save Ace to at the war.
Old 2010-05-01, 18:35   Link #8
james0246

^Exactly. I can't help but think that Sabo will have something to do with how Luffy accepts Ace's death. Now that would be very good storytelling...
Old 2010-05-01, 19:01   Link #9
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

If it's through the flashback, it'd be pretty easy.
Old 2010-05-01, 22:14   Link #10
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
When was he mentioned?
Old 2010-05-01, 22:26   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
When was he mentioned?
Chapter 574, page 10. "if it weren't for the Sabo thing... and having a little brother like you to look out for... // ...I would never have... even... wanted to live..."

Here's the (new) image of Sabo:

Old 2010-05-02, 00:27   Link #12
Dem0n_Sl@sHeR

Mmm his hat looks very similar to ace's hat for me
Old 2010-05-02, 00:59   Link #13
james0246

^You're right. It does look a little like Ace's hat (sans the smileys). We will have to wait for a better scan, but that could be an important clue as to the future of this mini-arc...

---

If the current complete spoiler for the chapter is correct, then chibi-Luffy just out-Narutod Naruto in terms of "turn-the-other-cheek" no jutsu...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-05-02 at 01:13.
Old 2010-05-02, 01:36   Link #14
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
If the current complete spoiler for the chapter is correct, then chibi-Luffy just out-Narutod Naruto in terms of "turn-the-other-cheek" no jutsu...

He's seven years old. SEVEN YEARS OLD.
He has the excuse to be going "daddy! daddy! where are you going! I wanna go too! I luv u!"

Whereas Naruto's behavior borders on having a homosexual crush.
Old 2010-05-02, 02:25   Link #15
marvelB

LOL, that full spoiler script was hilarious! And yeah, it looks like the hat Ace wore belonged to Sabo after all, since the script even says that it's a hat with goggles. I'm still not entirely sure that confirms Sabo being dead in the present time, though.....

Anyway, speaking of Sabo, I like how both him and Ace are such assholes towards Luffy (ESPECIALLY Ace). Somehow, that montage of Ace's attempts to abandon/kill Luffy reminds me a lot of that flashback he had at Marineford where he constantly tried to kill Whitebeard and paid for it (guess karma really bit him in the ass good, huh? ). As james said before, Luffy getting kidnapped by that pirate will undoubtedly lead to Ace changing his outlook on life and transforming him into the more cheerful dude that we're more familiar with, though I'm really interested in seeing what impact Sabo had on the brothers, as well......

Oh, and considering how Dadan treated Luffy, I think I'll bring it up again: Garp is, without a doubt, the WORST. PARENT. EVER.

Edit: And to prove my point:

Quote:
Luffy looks at Ace eating heaps of meat with hunger
Luffy: There's not enough food, I want to eat that meat too!!
Dadan: All these meat are from wild bull Ace hunted!! He gives us our share, and that's how it's on our plates. Mountain Bandits aren't doing too well these days
We're gonna work you to death from tomorrow!! We'll have you clean, wash clothes, shine our shoes, and shine our weapons! As well as robbing, stealing, conning, and murdering people!
And never rat on Garp on what you're forced to do here!!
Dadan scolds Luffy while eating the meat

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-05-02 at 03:03.
Old 2010-05-02, 05:46   Link #16
andy

this chapter is funny as hell .
Old 2010-05-02, 11:08   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
this chapter is funny as hell .

Couldn't agree more!

BTW, more of Dadan's awesome babysitting skills:

Quote:
Turban: Hey boss!! He's gone missing from day one!! This is not good!!!
Dadan: Who gives a damn!! If he dies, he dies, we can't do anything about it!
Dadan responds while gulping down beer

Dadan: First of all, we're already given up on looking after Ace!!
I don't care where he goes off to die, we'll just tell Garp it was an accident
but no, he keeps on living just like the saying, the the more hated the boy is, the more power he gains in the world!
(Japanese saying "Hated child, successful in the world")

Yep, a reeeeeeal responsible and caring guardian, that Dadan is.

Also, it's kinda funny that I kept saying in the past that OP wouldn't turn into a darker series, but I'm actually sorta starting to get a Berserk vibe from this flashback, what with Luffy's rough upbringing and the type of place Grey Terminal turned out to be and all. And now we've even got Luffy getting kidnapped by some big, scary pirate who may want to have some..... fun with with him (OMG ). Yep, nothing toughens up a man more than getting raped by pirates in the slums, yesiree.....
Old 2010-05-02, 12:19   Link #18
John D.

^Talking from personal experience?
Old 2010-05-02, 12:22   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yep, nothing toughens up a man more than getting raped by pirates in the slums, yesiree.....
Don't you mean it loosens up the a.... nvm, I'm not going that route.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:34   Link #20
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
^Talking from personal experience?

Why... no, of course not.... Have no idea what you mean, there....

<_<

>_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Don't you mean it loosens up the a.... nvm, I'm not going that route.

I doubt that a rubber boy like Luffy ever needs to worry about that sort of thing, anyway.
Closed Thread