AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-03, 16:24   Link #1
Seiryuu

Romantic Reunion with a case of Mistaken Identity

I was wondering if there were some good examples of anime/manga that combined a romantic reunion and mistaken identity.
By romantic reunion I mean that two people knew each other, and loved each other, but haven't seen each other in years only to meet again. One of the most common cases here are ones where two children promise to marry or something when they grow up, but that's not always the case.
Mistaken Identity fits very well with this. The setup is, a person's looking for someone; the person finds someone; the someone turns out to actually be someone else. This fits quite well here, since the pair haven't seen each other in a long time.
Love Hina plays with this a bit, but not in full, since so much time has passed that no one's entirely certain who was who then, so it's left as a partial mystery. The fairy tale The Little Mermaid takes mistaken identity to a tragic end, with the man falling for the girl who found him thinking she's the girl who saved him.
I only know one work that does this in full; it's a hentai series called Futari no Aniyome.
Spoiler:

There's plenty of stories where two people who once knew each other meet again, both treasuring the love they'd had. It's not hard to imagine a character being mistaken for someone else after so much time, and this can make for some interesting conflicts on all sides. Are there any other works where this sort of thing happens? Can be hentai, but would prefer something longer and more elaborate to develop the story.
Old 2010-10-03, 18:51   Link #2
MamoruUsagi

You have to read the manga Ceres Celestial Legend or Ayashi no Ceres The manga is way way better than the anime. Aya and Tooya are in a sexual relationship during the series. In the manga there is a lot of kissing, making out and tasteful sex scenes. Tooya a dlsot his memory and had sold his soul in the beginning, working for a family to kill Aya, but him and Aya begin dating and have a deep, intimate relationship. Eventually, Tooya recovers his memory and finds out tha the and Aya met as children and he had been trying to find her for years and he had lsot his memory and the whole reaosn he sold is soul and had worked against her was for her.

Black Bird also has a storyline, the main couple are dating and in a deep relationship and have reunited from the past. But si everything as it seems and are their memories real and how will this affect them as a couple?
Old 2010-10-04, 18:06   Link #3
cerrian

Skip Beat is exactly like that. There's both the anime and manga. Fortunately the anime is suppose to be pretty faithful to the manga, but you'll definitely have to read the manga for any meaningful conclusion.
Old 2010-10-04, 18:16   Link #4
ShinGundam

Hmm ... try "Oniisama e" (: .
Old 2010-10-09, 09:08   Link #5
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Skip Beat is exactly like that. There's both the anime and manga. Fortunately the anime is suppose to be pretty faithful to the manga, but you'll definitely have to read the manga for any meaningful conclusion.
I took a look at the descriptions in different places. Does this have this somewhere? From what I read about it, the girl finds out that the boy she loves is not the sort of person she thought he was. What I'm looking for is stuff where a person treasures a memory and dreams of falling in love with the person from that memory, but when they think they found that person it ultimately turns out that the person they "found" is not the person who was there back then.

Like I described in Futari no Aniyome, Shinya knew a girl named Akane in the past, and even promised to marry her some day before she disappeared and the memory slowly faded. When he'd met her she'd found something Shinya'd borrowed from his brother and lost, so he gave his brother's name (the name was on the toy) to get it back. Years later his brother introduces his fiance, and after a few days Shinya realizes that she's the girl from then, and because he'd used his brother's name, she thought that his brother was HIM.

It's sort of like those stories where a person who looks like the prince ends up being the "prince" for a period before people realize, only the guy ends up being the "prince charming" a girl was waiting for (at least for a while).

Of course, this can go one of two ways, with either her setting her childhood memories aside for real love or, my preference, the person from her memories wins her from the "pretender" before she finds out the truth.
Closed Thread