AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-24, 10:57   Link #1
libba
nepenthes rajah

Question male character who is sweet but dangerous (and not a villain)

You know this villainous type, where the guy often has this kind of smile ^__^ and sweet manners but it turns out he's actually tough, dangerous, and edgy.
I'd like to see this type on the 'good guys' side. "Good guys" is relative, he can be an anti-hero. He can also be a prominent romantic interest of the heroine, or he can be a reformed villain -- but he shouldn't be the actual villain of the story, and he shouldn't be a mere supporting character who appears for a short time.
Thanks in advance! I accept both anime and manga recs.

And a few examples:
- Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji, it can be argued whether he's an anti-hero or a future antagonist, but he isn't the story's villain.
- Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho, I won't tell more because it's a spoiler.
- Lucille from The Royal Doll Orchestra (this one is a manga).

Last edited by libba; 2011-03-04 at 18:31.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:27   Link #2
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

watch or read (preferably read) Vampire Knight. you get two with Zero and Kaname.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:35   Link #3
kitten320

How about Okita from Hakuouki? He is all nice and stuff but he has that fox like smile sometimes and loves to threaten "If something, I'll kill yah". The problem is that eventually his screen time will drop but whenever he appears in action, it is always epic... like a real demon!

Then there is Vino from Baccano who makes his appearance somewhere in the middle of series and in 3 special episodes, once he is properly introduced he plays quiet huge role and is seriously epic but very twisted. Anti-hero would suit him the best and belieave me... he is very dangerouse and scary when he wants to be.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:37   Link #4
wefadetogray
darker than a black cat

i totally agree with germanturkey. i totally fell for both zero and kaname, gorgeous characters, well mannered, lovely smiles and oh so dangerous.

i forgot to mention black cat, he is the hero indeed but quite complex and hot

Last edited by Pellissier; 2011-02-26 at 12:59. Reason: please use the edit button instead of double posting
Old 2011-02-24, 11:57   Link #5
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Son Gohan of Dragonball Z, hands down.

FUCK is this "sweet and kind hearted angel" fucking nasty if you are dumb enough to enrage him. Just ask Cell.
Old 2011-02-25, 09:55   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) - 21 volume high school romance/drama manga. Male lead looks nice, academic + sports ace and super popular in most situations, but he does have a dark, tormented side to him that gradually overtakes him as the manga goes on. His girlfriend takes it upon herself to prevent it from becoming the prominent part of him.
Old 2011-02-25, 10:36   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well the most prominent example would have to be Himura Kenshin of Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X in the West). He's a bumbling and bouncy "oro?!?!?" kind of guy, but piss him off and he'll make you realize why he's called Battousai (manslayer),
Old 2011-02-25, 17:29   Link #8
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

There's Break from Pandora Hearts and several characters from Durarara!!

Seconding Baccano! (I'd recommend the excellent English dub).
Old 2011-02-25, 23:15   Link #9
kitten320

Yeh Break does work.
Old 2011-02-26, 12:25   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) - 21 volume high school romance/drama manga. Male lead looks nice, academic + sports ace and super popular in most situations, but he does have a dark, tormented side to him that gradually overtakes him as the manga goes on. His girlfriend takes it upon herself to prevent it from becoming the prominent part of him.
Continuing this train of thought, I think Yano from Bokura ga Ita fits the bill as well. He's popular, good-looking, smart and can be very sweet - but he has a troubled past and can be incredibly insensitive. He's also the male romantic lead.
Old 2011-02-26, 14:39   Link #11
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Fai from Tsubasa Chronicles?
Old 2011-03-02, 07:00   Link #12
ninja_pintu

Kaze no stigma? I think the main hero kinda fits the description
Old 2011-03-03, 18:58   Link #13
matrixdutch

I second Kaze no stigma
Old 2011-03-03, 19:14   Link #14
Destinyblade

Would Lelouch from Code Geass and Hei from Darker than BLACK count? They act nice towards people when they're civilians but become dangerous and anti-hero under their alias (Zero, BK201). I'm not sure if you're looking just for ones that really mean to be nice.

Technically, Light from Death Note would fall under this category too, though that depends on who you view as the villain in that series.
Old 2011-03-03, 21:31   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
TAtSuki? That FireFan of Fushigi Yuugi, he tried to rape Miyaka once.
Old 2011-03-04, 02:40   Link #16
Nemuru

lol, seems like everyone is adding in their favourites ^^,

Since we might as well take the long winded road. I vote for 'Skip Beat!!' Tsuraga Ren
Old 2011-03-04, 04:52   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Akabara Strauss from Record of a fallen vampire (manga), acts nice to everyone but his enemies, but his power is overwhelming.
Also Sougo Okita from Gintama, although he often breaks character because he is a parody of the requested type
Old 2011-03-04, 18:37   Link #18
libba
nepenthes rajah

Thanks! I've seen some of those (Pandora Hearts, Kaze no Stigma, and Death Note) but not others, adding them to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Also Sougo Okita from Gintama, although he often breaks character because he is a parody of the requested type
Haha yes. It's a pity Kamui isn't on the good guys' side, no matter how much you stretch the thought, because he is the pure perfect walking smiling killing example of this type.
Closed Thread