AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-30, 11:02   Link #181
v1cious

so after reassessing the whole thing, does anyone else think the guy in the opening scene is Gimmy? i mean he has the core drill, and Boota would be that old by now.
Old 2007-09-30, 11:10   Link #182
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
so after reassessing the whole thing, does anyone else think the guy in the opening scene is Gimmy?
If Boota wasn't there, I would say yes. But since he is... no.
Old 2007-09-30, 11:10   Link #183
X_Danny_X

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-30, 11:13   Link #184
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishballs View Post
Simons a virgin thats why he became a hermit, unless he made a bunch of babies on his travels...
The wedding wasn't immediately after they got back, you know.
Old 2007-09-30, 11:24   Link #185
Var
Banned

Its interesting, in the end Simon and Yoko had the same fate. They lost the people they cared for and lived their lives helping others outside of the spot light.

Spoiler for Ehh:
Old 2007-09-30, 11:26   Link #186
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
The wedding wasn't immediately after they got back, you know.
And I highly those two spent the seven years before the moon crisis just cuddling, if you know what I mean

Garlock could be Darry, Aide is about Garlock's age and human Boota was depicted as about as old as Darry. Eighter that or it's Simon somewhere in the twenty years gap.

... I wouldn't mind an OVA series right now...
Old 2007-09-30, 11:28   Link #187
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, there's got to be OTHER Spiral Knight equivalents at other Spiral Being planets... even if the Spiral Knights were mostly wiped out, one Lordgenome class Spiral Power weilder per-planet shouldn't be all that far-fetched, considering that Earth alone has around 3 at least. (( Genome, Boota, Simon. ))

Lordgenome's ex-comrades, or something.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-09-30, 12:20   Link #188
Steel Guardian

Well hey, didn't the creator himself describe Gurren-Lagann's ending to be a "heroic failure" of a sort? I personally liked the ending. We at least got closure on the characters, Gainax could've easily left us with the "ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES" ending than something like that.
Old 2007-09-30, 12:29   Link #189
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
To quote Simon when he left the ceremony,

S: "I'll leave it to you, Rossiu."

R: "Simon-san!"

S: "Because I'm hole-drilling Simon. I'll leave it to someone better to follow through the hole I dug"

G: "Leave it to me."

He left it up to Gimmy and Rossiu to make things work after he brute force'd the Anti-spiral problem to open the hole. And to quote Leeron in the 20 year epilogue,

L: "Don't worry. I'm sure he's watching over us from someplace. That's the kind of man he is."
hahaha!...i can so imagine rossiu's face when he said that XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-30, 13:10   Link #190
7Th
Mixtape

In my opinion, Simon's eyes through the episode say a lot. After he realized by Nia's emotions she was a goner he pretty much became a melancholic warrior in the veins of Harlock or Kenshiro. I doubt the hole in his heart will ever be filled again, though... but that's why it is bittersweet.
Old 2007-09-30, 13:20   Link #191
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Aww man, this will depress me for a good two days~!! Sucks like hell, and the usual 'hey, that's life' does NOT cut it. Going through all of that: losing many of the friends you've known since you were waist high to them, near betrayal, the one you love the most 'turns' on you - to come out on top despite all that...and lose the only real reason you fought so hard for... *funk town*

Yeah, it will take me two days to pull myself out of this... Despite that, it was an excellent series.

My only gripe is that the rest of the Spirals didn't really help - they were just looking on. They need a few 'EPIC' punches in my opinion.
Old 2007-09-30, 13:28   Link #192
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

I dunno, the ending is a little bittersweet because of what happened to Nia but she did become free and got to die on her own terms, not killed by the Anti-Spiral. However, Simon looks largely content with what happened even if a bit saddened. The series has the usual "Be strong, by yourself, and fight for what you want" message and Simon did that.

Simon is a digger/excavator. That's what and who he is. He's dug the holes for people to get through and left it up to the others to make heads or tails of what came after. So for him to go back and become a man that helps others even without taking all the credit is a lot like him. I suspect that even if Nia had survived, they probably would've retreated to a quiet life helping others and left guiding humanity to the future for Rossiu as it was a bit ordained for him, it seems.
Old 2007-09-30, 14:02   Link #193
terrus

Well all i can say is Thank you and godman you Gainax at the same time, this without a doubt was the best peice of work they have done and without a doubt best anime of the year. I'm not afraid to admit i cried with both Joy and sadness and my jaw hit the floor several times over the fight and the epilouge sequences sheer beauty.

Never again will i be naive enough though to think Gainiax will ever give us a truly happy ending and any future shows they make, if i ever have the courage to watch them i will go into them knowing what to expect.

As for the series as a whole well it kept getting bigger and bigger until nothing else could compare to it, one of gainax's finest peaces of works, nothing will will ever quite come close to it at least not for quite some time. And the ending well let's not say it was bad but rather i felt slightley let down after watching the series from the very first time the first episode aired, it feelt as if i just wasted half a year but at the same time i loved doing so.

None the less seeing Gainax has decided to milk Gurren Laggan for all it's worth i hope they will make at least an OVA of some sort and if i ever will be able to find all the issues i'd like to see how the manga adaption differs from the series.

I have enjoyed the show and my time on this board, it was fun talking and debating with you all and i hope that will see you on other boards. I am only left with the though now though of what anime i will be able to watch next due to how much i enjoyed Gurren Lagann and currently i can only think of one 'Baccano!' which i am currently enjoying and as will you probably too.
Old 2007-09-30, 14:52   Link #194
White Rice

Send a message via AIM to White Rice
In the end GL isn't a love story, it's a story about one man's struggle in life. In the end with the end of his struggle comes his freedom at a price.

That's what I think.
Old 2007-09-30, 15:01   Link #195
terrus

Simon turned out to be a defention of a hero, someone who never knows happiness but brings it to others.
Old 2007-09-30, 15:07   Link #196
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
just wondering, though.

diebuster (TWN2) is current the holder of the largest mecha, gunbuster (TWN1) holds the record for destroy/killing the most number of enemies on screen with one single shot.

Just wondering if this series just took both these records?

a case of gainax breaking there own records?
Diebuster is not the biggest mech, that is a title held by Getter Emperor, who extends the radius of the solar system and is constantly growing. Biggest robot measurements from /m/ a while back (there's another topic there but I need to read it) -

Ideon: 105m
King J-Der: 110m
Daitarn 3: 120m
Ark Gurren-Lagann: 180m 300m?
Gunbuster: 220m
Chou Ginga Gurren-Lagann: 3.6Mm
Diebuster: 12.8Mm
Deucalion: 63.5Mm
Getter Emperor: 7.4Tm
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: 926Em 38.16Mm?

Conversion chart:

1000km = 1Mm
1000Mm = 1Gm
1000Gm = 1Tm
1000Tm = 1Pm
1000Pn = 1Em

Conclusion: Tengen Toppa is HUGE, however, this information is very skewed since Tengen Toppa's size is very inconsistent and dubious.

First of all, it only exists in "hyper spiral space", which is codeword for "LOL PHYSICS" - nothing normal applies here. Notice Earth appears roughly the same size as some GALAXIES. Now, that's impossible. Not to mention Anti-Spiral reaches down and plucks down galaxies like apples - if any of you saw The Flight of Dragons movie and heard Ommadon's discussion with Peter, throwing galaxies like that is impossible because of depth perception and time dilation.

Not to mention at the centre of most galaxies are black holes, hence "Spiral Nemesis" - the super-massive black holes eat each other and become big enough to suck in the universe, where upon all matter being reduced to singularity, the black hole dies and another Big Bang happens. Thus, turning two galaxies into an energy blast can't happen in real-space either. Fire can't breath in normal space too, but that might just be spiral/anti-spiral energy.

We can thus infer that final battle was almost like a dream theatre, but with "real" actors who get affected by it. End result is...let's just say Getter Emperor still has his throne, I don't think Nakajima pays homage to Go Nagai by breaking his ultimate robo's record.

Same with Tomino and Ideon, no one has come up with something quite that powerful since it first came out. Not even Gunbuster is on Ideon's level, it's a true terror.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-09-30 at 17:24.
Old 2007-09-30, 15:10   Link #197
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
I dunno, the ending is a little bittersweet because of what happened to Nia but she did become free and got to die on her own terms, not killed by the Anti-Spiral. However, Simon looks largely content with what happened even if a bit saddened. The series has the usual "Be strong, by yourself, and fight for what you want" message and Simon did that.

Simon is a digger/excavator. That's what and who he is. He's dug the holes for people to get through and left it up to the others to make heads or tails of what came after. So for him to go back and become a man that helps others even without taking all the credit is a lot like him. I suspect that even if Nia had survived, they probably would've retreated to a quiet life helping others and left guiding humanity to the future for Rossiu as it was a bit ordained for him, it seems.

Rossiu's had it in him all this while to be a great leader. While he's not as inspirational as Kamina or Simon or even Kittan, he's learned from them and he can make the tough decisions while the others go in, guns blazing. It's a new era and they don't need that any more - the 'true' battle's over and unless some of the other Spiral worlds end up causing fuss, we won't see any epic fights for a loooooooong time that require GODMODE Spiral power to be used.
Old 2007-09-30, 15:30   Link #198
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post

Ideon: 105m
King J-Der: 110m
Daitarn 3: 120m
Ark Gurren-Lagann: 180m
Gunbuster: 220m
Chou Ginga Gurren-Lagann: 3.6Mm
Diebuster: 12.8Mm
Deucalion: 63.5Mm
Getter Emperor: 7.4Tm
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: 926Em

Conversion chart:

1000km = 1Mm
1000Mm = 1Gm
1000Gm = 1Tm
1000Tm = 1Pm
1000Pn = 1Em

We can thus infer that final battle was almost like a dream theatre, but with "real" actors who get affected by it. End result is...let's just say Getter Emperor still has his throne, I don't think Nakajima pays homage to Go Nagai by breaking his ultimate robo's record.
Wait... Going by your chart TTG-L is bigger than Getter Emperor by a GIGANTIC margin.
Old 2007-09-30, 15:41   Link #199
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1988 View Post
Wait... Going by your chart TTG-L is bigger than Getter Emperor by a GIGANTIC margin.
It's dubious because of the reasons I outlined. If one uses relative scale, Tengen Toppa is only around ten times the height of Chou Ginga, placing it at 36,000km which is [almost] three times the height of Diebuster, but not even close to Getter Emperor's size.
Old 2007-09-30, 16:47   Link #200
Zybon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
It's dubious because of the reasons I outlined. If one uses relative scale, Tengen Toppa is only around ten times the height of Chou Ginga, placing it at 36,000km which is [almost] three times the height of Diebuster, but not even close to Getter Emperor's size.
Come on, obviously the artist can't draw Earth & the Mecha to scale, because then you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Don't try to overanalyze it... are you going to say that every sci-fi movie where something explodes is a "dream theatre" since "fire can't breathe"?
Closed Thread