AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 139 38.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 100 27.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 75 20.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 7.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.55%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-07, 08:19   Link #261
fubar84

Opening episode was a let down, below average really. Expecting the whole series to be a 8 or a 9, but like I said, first ep was a bit boring and a bit rushed. A few interesting points, the characters will certainly be interesting to watch develop and nice graphics. Still expecting a lot more in the next eps!

I hated Air, loved Kanon, what will Clannad do to me?
Old 2007-10-07, 08:39   Link #262
Pell14

I hated air too . . Maybe im just not suitable for these genre of animes. I dislike the 1st ep of clannad too . . .
Old 2007-10-07, 09:18   Link #263
ReinhartX

i dunno i nevre played the game nor watched the movie but this 1st episode was much more than i expected...i find the starting to be perfect..maybe its just me....ive high hopes for this anime too
Old 2007-10-07, 09:23   Link #264
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Been waiting for this series for a while, i'm a big fan of Air and Kanon so i think im gonna like Clannad
Old 2007-10-07, 09:39   Link #265
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell14 View Post
I hated air too . . Maybe im just not suitable for these genre of animes. I dislike the 1st ep of clannad too . . .
Same thing here, nothing grabbed my interest in this episode. I'm surprised at the outstanding ratings.
Old 2007-10-07, 10:01   Link #266
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell14 View Post
How can anyone hate AIR!?

maybe you just dont like bitter/sweet ends?

but agreed that clannad failed to meet expectations (though i think my bar is set rather high for this series O.O)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-07, 10:24   Link #267
Yuelon
喜怒哀

A Slow beginning i say compare to Kanon/Air introducing of charas is fast as form the opening it already show us more than half the main cast. Mostly 1 epi is setup for the later epi so i wouldnt turn on a bad impression form this one.

And is Air really that bad? if you liked Kanon, Air should be less haremish :P
Whether do I not know
Why can't we be togather like Moon & Stars.

Old 2007-10-07, 11:34   Link #268
Fat Cat Lim

Great first episode, and what can I say about the animation that others haven't said already? As I've never played the game or read the background about it, I'm looking forward to the rest of Clannad.
Old 2007-10-07, 11:46   Link #269
fubar84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuelon View Post
And is Air really that bad? if you liked Kanon, Air should be less haremish :P

In my case, I didn't like it (can't really say hate, I don't lie awake each night and curse about Air) because it bored me. Whereas Kanon really got to me, I really looked forward to Air, but got utterly disappointed. Maybe I'm just dumb, and didn't get it
Old 2007-10-07, 12:01   Link #270
Echoes

I suppose it is natural to expect Clannad to be compared to both Air and Kanon, and that's some standard to live up to. I personally loved both, Air was beautiful in a different way than Kanon was, but both were shows of the highest caliber.

I think we should give Clannad a chance to stand on its own two feet first, though.
Old 2007-10-07, 12:23   Link #271
kron

As a game veteran, I felt the first episode was really rushed but I guess it's just not possible to use more than 2 episodes to introduce the large number of characters. I wish the transition from one introduction to another could've been better. Quality wise, it's kyoani and obviously it's amazing. I'm really glad that they used the game OST as the anime soundtracks too. It made me pull out my dust covered ost out to listen to again. I was surprised that the anime seems to have toned down how tomoya's mentality of not wanting to associate himself with anything around him, him and his father's relationship and he's simply a much more friendly person compared to the start of the game. Looking forward to the anime progression none the less, a full fuko or tomoyo arc would be great but it's never going to happen
Old 2007-10-07, 14:31   Link #272
takumi2k4

Is it just me or does KyoAni suck at doing transitions?

Lucky Star also had crappy transitions during the first few episodes of the show. I can't say about Haruhi or Kanon as that was like a year or two ago, but it's more evident in Clannad and L*S.
Old 2007-10-07, 14:39   Link #273
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

the thing is LS is difficult to use "standard" transitions because it is based on a 4 koma manga. so, to stick some "coherence" with such slife of life cut in such fashion, it is hard (though i didn't have any issue at all)

as for CLANNAD I don't see any issue, even with the so called "rushed" part between Nagisa and Tomoya after Tomoyo's show.
meh, tastes and all i guess. For instance, instead of wasting time in "transition" with parting and going in classrooms, they switch with "memories while spacing out", while keeping such usual minor details like tomoya sitting next to nagisa. (while they could skip it and switch directly when the later finished her anpan)

the funny thing is that not everyone are actually agreeing if CLANNAD is too rushed or too slow... looks like people use specific aspect of "plot pace" huh...
Old 2007-10-07, 14:47   Link #274
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
the funny thing is that not everyone are actually agreeing if CLANNAD is too rushed or too slow... looks like people use specific aspect of "plot pace" huh...
I know, I was pretty amused about that myself. Is this any indication that perhaps the show's really taking the middle route, for so many people to have misread it in one way or the other? Hmm...
Old 2007-10-07, 16:56   Link #275
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I think the pace was alright overall for my tastes, but it definitely is on the fast side, given the amount of events they covered plot-wise ... this, coupled with the 'abrupt scene jumps' give it a fast paced feeling. Personally i don't mind, but i can see why some people would dislike it.
Old 2007-10-07, 18:24   Link #276
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I think the pace was alright overall for my tastes, but it definitely is on the fast side, given the amount of events they covered plot-wise ... this, coupled with the 'abrupt scene jumps' give it a fast paced feeling. Personally i don't mind, but i can see why some people would dislike it.
Hearing it like that, it makes me wonder if the show shall carry on at that level of pace. I think maybe so while the introduction's carry on --- then i'm sure we'll see a slow down once we get right into the characters, and their backgrounds/story.
Old 2007-10-07, 18:26   Link #277
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

After checking out the MBS schedule for next week, it doesn't look like they will be airing a HD version of this series. I'm not sure about CBC yet, but I guess BS-i is the probably the only hope for 16:9 goodness.
Old 2007-10-07, 18:37   Link #278
amoirsp

I believe a full agreement on too fast or too slow of pace can't be concluded because the episode wasn't entirely one way or another. You had slower paced moments and faster paced moments (though this exists in any anime).

So the main complaint would be the transitions. The accuracy of what Kyoani displays is fine, as "faithfulness" to the original context is there for the most part. And then establishment is there, in a sense, depending on whether or not you catch it, and enough ambiguity exists to want to know what happens next since the first episodes of most anime would generate some interest into the next episode.

And yes, if the transition balance isn't good, it causes a momentum loss, such as sprinting too fast into humour when something more serious just occurred, or slowing down way too much. And right now, the slow parts are a little more balanced, but the fast parts could have better implementation.

And because the animation spectrum usually is on par, being claimed superiour to other ones, the possible weaknesses delve from other spectrums you'd want to see in an anime, and while not a category, attention grabbing is key, and another is maintaining a high level. But then if you go into technicals, you wouldn't have horrid ratings, since the story is/will be good and the art is good, so already it merits a number like 6 or 7, as anything lower is likely preference in distaste, which is fine since it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Due to segmenting routes, plot pacing will be a factour. If the transitions between those screw up, then it's not going to work, because while the full stories' main ideas would remain intact, if the execution isn't in a fair chronology that causes a loss of momentum, then the storytelling sucks because it would be either out or order or simply not synonymous with what else occurred. Now that's to see later in the series, as the beginning has always been introductory going into one route, since that has occurred for Kanon and AIR.

Generally, the introductory episodes are also much faster than the segmented route ones. However, Kyoani will indeed run out of episode space if they use anywhere near the ratio allocation they used in Kanon, due to having a larger cast of characters. Well, they won't have the Ayu and Nayuki mutually exclusive issue again, which I would say was performed not in a fantastic manner, but there are other issues to a different magnitude to Kanon. Then again, my Kanon 2006 opinion is indeed tampered by Kanon 2002. This is also why I hope the equation used is more like AIR, simply because Nagisa will have to have more emphasis, and conclude the other routes in the similar fashion. Since Clannad doesn't have a Dream, Summer, and Air segmenting, if it uses the AIR formula of character usage, I think it will work, but it won't have potential momentum loss due to change of point of view, nor a recap.

Now I've usually found momentum losses or "bland" issues of AIR and Kanon a little bit after the halfway mark. AIR due to overhaul transition, and Kanon due to emotional imbalance where the basis of happy and the basis of sad had their oddities.

If anything, albeit all the similarities to AIR and Kanon, including minour references, I would say the first episode works a little differently than either as well. If it turns out to have similarities, that wouldn't be so surprising. On the contrary it's easy to like the anime when you like the basis of it in the first place, thus easy replay value. Nonetheless I still look forward to episode 2.

If 16:9 is featured on BS-i only, that's fine, since that's a source. It's also an indirect opportunity to sub again with fewer mistakes, if any. Though the main advantage with 16:9 is the image proportions and viewing satisfaction.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:25   Link #279
Takuto19
Yarrrr

Looking forward to next weeks episode, i havn't played the game as i dont understand it, just waiting on a english patch to it, hope it's soon.

I don't mind whether it's in 4:3 or 16:9 though, doesn't really bother me.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:48   Link #280
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Im a little late finally got sometime to watch the first episode with so many potentially good series starting its hard to keep up. Episode 1 pretty much went the way i thought I would a rather slow pace start but one i feel is a must. I have no real problems about the show to start the animation didnt bother me and the voice acting seems right on target. I think one of the first things that stood out was the bgm. I will be making more of a habit to listen now since i liked it, Opening was rather colorful which is good a great way to catch viewers right away and the introduction of a characters was done very smoothly. All and all id say not a bad start 8 out of 10.

Im keeping my expectations pretty midrange that way if CLANNAD ends up sucking i wont be to disappointed and if its great i will like it even more