AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-06, 21:05   Link #1
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Do you get compared?

I guess this could go with the "Do you parents suck?" thread in a way.

Do you ever get compared to other kids by your parents?

I'll give an example.. My mother's friend often gossips to her about my friends. He tells her really personal things that they both shouldn't know about their lives. My mother always talks about my friends as if they're really perfect and as if I'm too lucky to have them and the way she talks about it is like I'm unworthy. o.o; I don't know if any of you guys get this. ^^;; I really like that she likes my friends.. But sometimes I want to prove to her that they aren't that perfect. But she starts saying how they've had hard lives and that they have "less chances than I do". I wonder why she says that.

Does this ever happen to you guys? And do you guys get compared to your parent's friends children? x.o;;
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 21:33   Link #2
kamij0

In singapore , our parents only compare grades and the number of maids we have, luckily i'm too old to be compared anymore, but i remember that my mother said my friends are all a bunch of hooligans,
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 21:35   Link #3
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamij0
In singapore , our parents only compare grades and the number of maids we have, luckily i'm too old to be compared anymore, but i remember that my mother said my friends are all a bunch of hooligans,
Cool, do you guys have sexy maids that "serve" your every needs?
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 21:36   Link #4
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
I hate getting compared to other people, my mom does that alot it irritates the hell out of me
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 21:39   Link #5
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Cool, do you guys have sexy maids that "serve" your every needs?
well .. that we don have, but there are some employers who would rather find a maid that is sexually active than 1 that can do houseowork
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 22:24   Link #6
ShadowX114
is my nickname

My aunt keeps comparing my cousin(her son) to me. Like, sometimes, when im at his house, and I talk with my aunt about something. She asks her son, why didn't you do like him? Or, when she calls and she knows that im doing my homework, she asks my cousin, why aren't you doing your homeworks?
I have SO many other exemple but I ain't gonna list them.
But in conclusion, my aunt compars her son to me and both of us hate that. I hate when people compare me to someone or when they compare them to me.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 23:23   Link #7
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Happens to me all the time. What I find funny is, when they find the need to compare me to someone, and then if I compare someone to me, they find that wrong. Makes no sense, they can compare all they want, I cant -_-
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 23:32   Link #8
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Heh... My father did that to me once... it went something like this

Father:"You know... one of your cousins is going into law at Harvard..."

Me: "You know, her dad has his own successful business..."

*silence*

My father's pretty much a bum(my mother works) and I'm a CS dropout that happens to tutor CS for money.

that was pretty much the last time he ever compared me to anyone.

I think it's stupid for someone to compare another person using a standard he/she doesn't really know about... I've seen too many talented people around and if I started to compare everyone to everyone else(although I am guilty of it sometimes... ya all just need to slap me silly when I do )... it'd just crush people's self esteems.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 01:34   Link #9
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

My friend is the valedictorian of my school and has been accepted to every college in CA.

They dont directly compare me to him, but the allusion is there. "what college is ur friend going to?" <-- been asked 10000 times.

They used to compare me to my cousin, until they found out that hes a complete moron and a jackass.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 09:00   Link #10
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Slade, yeah that's one of the two types of comparisons I get. "Your Uncle went to Harvard, or so and so is an engineer."

I think it irks my mother that I'm studying art and not doing a real profession.

The other thing my parental units do is compare me to themselves at my age. You know the "when I was your age" speech. When I was your age, I had 3 jobs, etc. Recently my mother decided to tell me how much lower my SAT scores were than hers! I had half decent scores too.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 11:14   Link #11
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
I've been compared since I could remember. I was a pageant girl (not by choice) through out my childhood career. But It took some stern ranting and talking to make my parents actually realize that I am me and if they don't like it, then shame on them for being such selfish parents who crave the impossibility of perfection from myself according to their stiff Fillipino-standards!! Hmmph. ^_^
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 12:21   Link #12
Ir0nExpress
Lord of Majik Chickins

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress
YEa, pretty much i get compared to my brother, though my parents never say it and deny it. My brother is just smarter then me(street and brain wise) I guess it's just the way i was raised. My brother pretty much learned everything the hard way (drug rehab, chillin wit the wrong plp) but he's gettin like a $100,000 job when he's gettin out of college next year. I've been protected too much, therefore i'm like 4 yrs behind compared to my brother when he was the same age as me.

Even though my parent knew my brother was wit the wrong plp, at least they deemed his friends to be cool. For me, i have friends but the ones i truly hang out wit are not part of the in crowd, so my parents are like "why do you hang out wit such plp, ur brother never did" And they're like, ur grades suck compared to your brother, they'll never say it to my face, but it's all implied.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 12:34   Link #13
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

My nurse always said to me that the patient of the room 4 was nicer than me when I tried to stab her with my spoon.

Does that count?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 14:51   Link #14
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Heh.. Aside from what I said, I always, and I mean always get compared to my mother's friend's daughters. "They're so nice and they do a lot of things for their mother when you don't do anything and you sleep all day". [ Which is not true ]
It seems that my mother's friends brag about their children to her and it makes her think that all kids are perfect except me. x.x
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 15:28   Link #15
Arkzein
Veritas Vincet

I've been compared in the same way when I was younger, but rather differently than has been said above save for a few people. With me it was more "I'm glad you're not like that" or, "You need to find better friends, so and so is doing this and that", my parents weren't really stuck up, nor did they in all honesty believe any of my friends to be bad people (maybe bad influences as they saw it though, all of my friends have either dropped out of school or are resitting years), it was just that they were overly proud of me, doing things they couldn't/didn't and I had sense enough to realise that and go along with what they wanted. (being the eldest grandchild in a large family also tends to put pressure on you to be the family role model).

In the end I said nothing and very nearly flunked out of school alltogether, dropping from AAAAA predicted at A-level (UK grading system) and a place at Oxbridge to fumbling ABB and getting into my 6th, and last, choice university by the skin of my teeth. (as would tend to happen with 34% attendance along with Es and Fs on coursework that was never completed).

Just make sure you don't take what they say to heart and try to be something you're not, it'll break you in the end, best just to do what makes you happy, even if it's lazing about indulging in "usless" arts related subjects that won't ever get you a good job.
Arkzein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 16:36   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
I get compared to the asian on "Mad TV"

its because i am one of like 4 asians at my school
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 18:21   Link #17
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Not really. Maybe my mom doesn't know anyone who have very successful children. But she has a brother (i.e. my uncle) who's been to jail pretty often, mostly for minor crimes like using and smuggling marihuana (he doesn't smuggle the stronger stuff, you get too much jail-time when you're caught, and the profits of marihuana is good enough, I assume). And she has a co-worker who's son has some pretty serious drug problems.

When you look at it that way, you can see that while your children might not be rich, famous and extremely successful, mediocrity isn't the worst thing that could happen to them. While I haven't ever had the need to bring that up, I'll be sure to do it if the need arises.
Old 2004-03-07, 18:24   Link #18
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Heh... My father did that to me once... it went something like this

Father:"You know... one of your cousins is going into law at Harvard..."

Me: "You know, her dad has his own successful business..."

*silence*
rofl
good one. but i guess you can't do that until you've reached a certain age
Old 2004-03-07, 18:27   Link #19
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot
rofl
good one. but i guess you can't do that until you've reached a certain age
 I could do that- my dad's siblings are all sucessful... problem i think he is mroe successful than them.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 19:12   Link #20
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I have been getting compared from my dad to my other cousins for a looonng time and I sometimes still do. Ugh! My parents are sort of like Slade's, but my dad does work but my mother works harder.