Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-23, 09:10   Link #1
Yggdrasil
Baumkuchen

Send a message via ICQ to Yggdrasil Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasil
Anime with time skips

I want to know which somewhat recommendable Anime have time skips. Moreover, I'm also searching in general for shows where the characters grow over time. Toward the Terra would be a great example, something like Gurren-Lagann with one major skip is also fine.
Old 2008-02-23, 09:34   Link #2
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien Romance/drama-oriented.
Nanoha trilogy: action-oriented (Magic).
Kekkaishi -> Barrier casting to seal/destroy monsters, action series.

The series above have characters growing over time + time skip.
Each are unique in its own way, and *Hits* [well-received] in a way or two.

Elfen Lied has a (partial?) time-skip too.
Old 2008-02-23, 11:37   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Second Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, best use of time skip ever, keeping the suspense and not dragging it on endlessly.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days also fits, although it can be a bit confusing the first see-through. This is one of the anime people claim to like it even though they didn't completely understand it. (I'm not talking about understanding the message, but the confusing story due to the timeskip, so don't flame me.)

I don't know, most "childhood friends" series are technically time skips, right?
Old 2008-02-23, 12:10   Link #4
migus_parvus

Voices of a distant star. Makoto Shinkai's first commercial feature. It tells the story of a love separated by time and space as the heroine leaves earth to pilot against aliens while the hero struggles on the earth to somehow reach her. The play on the aging process and traveling at the speed of light is used here as the hero ages the heroine does not. Makoto Shinkai's later work, 5 cm per Second follows a similar theme to it in that
Spoiler:
Old 2008-02-23, 12:22   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Actually, now that I think about it, 5 Centimeters per Second also had physical time skip(s) of some sort also. It's just so subtle that you don't really notice it.
Old 2008-02-23, 12:27   Link #6
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Jinki:extend
Old 2008-02-23, 12:28   Link #7
Frans

You could try Gunbuster. It has time skips in form of time dilation. You could also try Gunbuster 2, but the time skip only happen in the last scene of the last episode. If you haven't watch Gunbuster, it's made by Gainax.. I don't remember if the character of the first Gunbuster made an appearance in TTGL, but the main character from Gunbuster 2 certainly made it (well, the bath house episode in TTGL features some Gainax character from their other show). One warning though, Gunbuster is kinda old.. still nice to watch though.

Another anime that I think fits is Jyu Oh Sei. It's an action anime with some sci-fi element. Very nice anime, although I would prefer they made it longer.

Last edited by Frans; 2008-02-23 at 12:35. Reason: addition
Old 2008-02-23, 22:23   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

If you want a short movie I think Makoto Shinkai's Hoshi no Koe is an excellent examples of time skips and their influence on space traveling. A really touching movie.
Old 2008-02-23, 23:20   Link #9
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

An older series I thoroughly enjoyed that has a timeskip at the end (and not a bad one either) is Kurogane Communication. Half length episodes, so it's around the same length as a regular 12/13 episode series.
Old 2008-02-23, 23:27   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Obviously Naruto Shippuuden. A three year time skip there.

I'll second Kekkaishi. Even though I dropped the anime after a while (I was busy with other shows), there are many who like it a lot, so it should be worth checking out.
Old 2008-02-24, 00:59   Link #11
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I'll second Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (aka Rumbling Hearts, aka KimiNozo, aka KGNE) and pretty much all of Makoto Shinkai's works, they're brilliant and revolve around the concept of the passage of time and it's effect on the relationships between two people.
Old 2008-02-24, 03:12   Link #12
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I'll second Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (aka Rumbling Hearts, aka KimiNozo, aka KGNE) and pretty much all of Makoto Shinkai's works, they're brilliant and revolve around the concept of the passage of time and it's effect on the relationships between two people.
Also Kimibou.
I also dislike usage of "Rumbling Hearts", since it was on the same package that Funimation had printed the tagline "Betrayal is a bitch". Funimation fails in general with their packaging.
I'll also fourth Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and all of Makoto Shinkai's works, barring She and her Cat, and especially 5 Centimeters per Second, though both The Place Promised in our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star are also great pieces (even moreso when you consider how he had made Voices of a Distant Star), I found 5 Centimeters per Second truly amazing, even in comparison to his previous works.

On another note, Neon Genesis Evangelion has many short timeskips between episodes, ranging from a couple days to months, and I feel obliged to mention Air's thousand year skip and return.

Last edited by qtipbrit; 2008-02-25 at 02:24.
Old 2008-02-24, 08:23   Link #13
maple
Anime Dai~Suki

Millennium Actress : past and present
RahXephon : romance,science fiction..
Haibane Renmei: from Cocoon to Haibane(Angel)
Zettai Shounen: from kid to teenage
Old 2008-02-24, 08:39   Link #14
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Soukou no Strain has time dilation due to FTL travel.
Old 2008-02-24, 13:30   Link #15
Biswa

Surprised no one mentioned Kaze no Stigma. The whole show is basically showing what happened after a huge time skip, but it's pretty cool. Surely, its not gradual like you'd want it, but the main character kicks a lot of a** after the time skip. The gradual growth is kinda shown through some flashbacks though.
Old 2008-02-24, 23:09   Link #16
gh0stmice
*Artist

baccano

well it kinda skips back and forth.....but its still can be defined as a time skip

i think they skip around in a 3 year time period