AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-10, 08:07   Link #181
FuzzyWuzzy

Haven't watched it yet but looking at the synopsis, it definitely has that Kare Kano feel to it.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 08:18   Link #182
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I always thought that shirt rip was to give some service to the ladies, much like some adaptations of shounen-aimed mangas exaggerates certain scenes in the name of fanservice.
Most anime-watchers are males though, and are used to skirts that allow full views of girls' undergarments. When a male's chest is revealed, it makes most guys gag for lack of the oversized breasts usually found on revealed chests of characters in anime.
haha, I though of Hosaka too, though it was more of a momentary thing, since Hosaka almost always has his shirt open.

Vote Hosaka in SaiGAR.
Quote:
As for the legs, what's wrong with them? I guess people hasn't seen xxxHolic.

'twas something like this amirite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
Spoiler:
I thought it was funny but a bit overused (thrice in one episode? Or was it more?) though it'll probably drift away in a couple of episodes.
And Kei and Hikari vs. three guys was a pretty great scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobrill View Post
So yeah, this makes at least 3 shoujou series I will be following this season. I am not sure what that means.
It's just that this season has more shoujo series than most others have had. I'm following three and I may pick up another (or two.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
This show sucks. After having timed ep1 I'll never ever watch any more of it.
I lol'd.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 08:23   Link #183
hanseo
CC's Shining Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
This show sucks. After having timed ep1 I'll never ever watch any more of it.
agreed, where is the action?
hanseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 09:09   Link #184
LKK

Quote:
Welcome to the world of the childhood friends turned lovers archetype. That pretty much summarizes it in a nutshell how the majority of such relationships are handled in manga/anime.
Well, yes and no. Although Kei and Hikari met when they were little and sort of knew each other because their fathers are friends, I wouldn't say that they were childhood friends.
Spoiler for small manga info about the S.A. group as a whole.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for response, Kei's birthday manga version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanseo View Post
agreed, where is the action?
Action? You mean like fighting or adventure action? You do know this is a screwball romantic comedy, right?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 09:59   Link #185
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I loved it. It is a strange mix of Itazura na Kiss and Ouran. The whole inferior girl syndrome + super elite school complex.

Gonzo-isms aside (animation fluctuated a bit, but not enough to be distracting at all), there were a lot of cute little moments that made for a very light and fun atmosphere. In the end, that's all these school comedic romances really need.

I actually saw a bit of the original and it's SICKENINGLY shoujo. The extreme glossy hair, the extremely lengthy limbs, the works. I'm glad they toned it down a bit for the show, though the long limbs continue!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 10:17   Link #186
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Just watched the first episode... Quite hilarious. Especially when Kei called Hikari nii-san..
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 11:52   Link #187
BigGimp77

Definatly gave me off a Ouran highschool host club vibe... Just not as funny. Still not a bad first episode. I'll probably stick around this for a while and see how it goes. Seems like a good watch at this point.
BigGimp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:25   Link #188
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

*sigh* I really do think people are comparing this to the wrong show. While that isn't so bad itself, it might create expectations that the show wasn't meant to fulfill. Particularly talking about comedy here; I really don't see how they're going to make this lol funny, nor do I see the animators actually trying to do so. Of course, I might be wrong since this is only the first episode...

@LKK
Dunno about manga, won't even read spoilers. But from what is shown so far, Kei definitely thinks of Hikari as a friend (in fact, more so than one, but that's not the point). And Hikari, despite her obssession with beating Kei, was the one who remembered, got the idea and planned for Kei's b-day party. While yeah, it was unsuccessful, it's the thought that counts and proves at that point, she definitely thinks of Kei at least as a friend (one can even argue as a very good friend, if not her best friend, but that's not the point).

Now the question would be is when Hikari thought of Kei as a friend. While surely she wouldn't have thought of him as one when she first met him, I think it's reasonable to say that despite the rivalry, her friendship with Kei grew overtime. Maybe in one or two years from that time, I dunno, but it certainly isn't a stretch to say they became friends when they were still kids. Hence, childhood friends.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:29   Link #189
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
*sigh* I really do think people are comparing this to the wrong show. While that isn't so bad itself, it might create expectations that the show wasn't meant to fulfill. Particularly talking about comedy here; I really don't see how they're going to make this lol funny, nor do I see the animators actually trying to do so. Of course, I might be wrong since this is only the first episode...
Going off memory there is a few laughs but it's nowhere near Ouran when it comes to comedy and it doesn't try to be anyway.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:34   Link #190
hanseo
CC's Shining Knight

ok * sigh this show seems like a good watch at this point.
hanseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:39   Link #191
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
It leaves a good impression on me
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:54   Link #192
Molenir

Quote:
Seriously first thing that came in mind when Kei opened his shirt was... Hosaka.
lol, you're right. When I saw that, my first thought was how wrong it was. (I knew it wasn't like that in the manga) And my second thought was, wheres the sweat.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:55   Link #193
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I do believe that the comedy in this series will less likely be "muhahaha" and more likely "heh that's a cute moment" (much like Ouran for me). Even if this series isn't like Ouran, the theme it gives off is definitely similar.
Quote:
Now the question would be is when Hikari thought of Kei as a friend. While surely she wouldn't have thought of him as one when she first met him, I think it's reasonable to say that despite the rivalry, her friendship with Kei grew overtime. Maybe in one or two years from that time, I dunno, but it certainly isn't a stretch to say they became friends when they were still kids. Hence, childhood friends.
Still raising the childhood flag I see

Comeon the easy answer, they grew up together = childhood friends.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 13:42   Link #194
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Ok finally watched epi 1, I dont read the manga (minus 1 chap and its wasnt the first ) so I didnt really know what to expect less what Ive read here so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I do believe that the comedy in this series will less likely be "muhahaha" and more likely "heh that's a cute moment" (much like Ouran for me). Even if this series isn't like Ouran, the theme it gives off is definitely similar.
Yeah there are similarities though I find Ouran funnier. Style is kinda the same too. But again its shoujo, you can only do so much w/o nearly copying others.

Ok..I still like Hikari's voice. Kei's fits him though what can I say, I hear Lulu mostly. Kei going into "zero tone" against the 3 guys made me LOL which I probably shouldnt have since he was defending Hikari but what can I say, FukuJun's in like 4 anime Im watching right now.

As good looking as Kei is (oh how I love that arrogant stare~) Im also leaning toward Ryuu, he's a cutie!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 15:29   Link #195
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Honestly didn't even notice the shirt coming open thing . Oddly enough I probably watched that part of the episode a few times. My observation skills really weren't too sharp yesterday.
Old 2008-04-10, 15:37   Link #196
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
This was a pleasant surprise i didnt have any real expectations for this but i ended up loving the first episode. Some pretty good humor with everyday school life and romance thrown in. My concern is the comedy will get repetitive and the oh i love her but she doesnt know but everyone else knows will drag and drag and DRAG. Im going to follow it though since i like what iv seen so far.

The animation seemed weird to me but i cant put my finger on what exactly it was.
Old 2008-04-10, 16:03   Link #197
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
The animation seemed weird to me but i cant put my finger on what exactly it was.
Long arms and legs?

But then I look at XXXholic XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 17:35   Link #198
Slice of Life
eyewitness

More shoujo rom-com.

I could list at least four ways in which Gonzo screws up their anime. However, all of them seem to be absent or don't apply. I have high hopes for this show.
Old 2008-04-10, 17:36   Link #199
OMchan
オムちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Long arms and legs?

But then I look at XXXholic XD
At first the long arms and legs caught me off guard (especially the scene where Hikari goes to school) probably 'cause I never expected to see it in an non-CLAMP series.
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 18:02   Link #200
elite-dreams
Boku no matsuro

lolz but they werent that long in the manga ToT.
overall, 1st eps was good :]
elite-dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, school life