AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 07:39   Link #141
r-18

i could just never get into all the fight anime i know there must be a genre title for those types but i just think of them as fight anime school rumble, Ikki Tousen, Naruto, and dbz which i know pours the hate on you but i don't think it's bad anime it's just not my thing dbz fans need thicker skin. and i did not kill your sensei.
r-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 09:38   Link #142
Slice of Life
eyewitness

"school rumble, Ikki Tousen, Naruto, and dbz"

Are you sure you're not mixing stuff up? Feel free to dislike School Rumble, but it being a "fighting anime"?
Old 2008-04-16, 20:04   Link #143
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

Anime that never ends...

...I don't know if this is an official genre, but if not it should be. Most fighting type anime such as DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, etc. usually fit into this category, but sports-based anime never seem to have an end either: Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21 and so on. Let's not forget a certain baking show called "Yakitate Japan" either.

The deal is though, while I don't care for the fighting stuff I actually enjoyed Prince of Tennis and Yakitate Japan while I still had the patience to watch them. They were funny and enjoyable enough, but the format grew tiring after the 1000th episode because by then I had recognized the recurring themes these type of shows have. (Main lead is very young but extraordinarily talented, has a cute girl friend always cheering him on but no love interest ever develops, the main lead has constant flashbacks, and so on...)

There are occasionally exceptions, I enjoyed Hayate no Gotoku from start to finish despite the 52 episode length. Yes, I know all shows do end eventually but my personal cut-off point is 50 episodes, after which I consider a series far too lengthy and "never-ending" unless there is good reason for it. HnG just barely skims past the 50 mark, so I can forgive it's length.

Well, I'll end my rant for now but there are certainly a few other series that don't vibe with me.
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 20:14   Link #144
r-18

slice of life,
you could be right about school rumble with so many anime out there i get confused some, well most of the time.
Old 2008-04-16, 20:15   Link #145
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoq View Post
Anime that never ends...

...I don't know if this is an official genre, but if not it should be. Most fighting type anime such as DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, etc. usually fit into this category, but sports-based anime never seem to have an end either: Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21 and so on. Let's not forget a certain baking show called "Yakitate Japan" either.

The deal is though, while I don't care for the fighting stuff I actually enjoyed Prince of Tennis and Yakitate Japan while I still had the patience to watch them. They were funny and enjoyable enough, but the format grew tiring after the 1000th episode because by then I had recognized the recurring themes these type of shows have. (Main lead is very young but extraordinarily talented, has a cute girl friend always cheering him on but no love interest ever develops, the main lead has constant flashbacks, and so on...)

There are occasionally exceptions, I enjoyed Hayate no Gotoku from start to finish despite the 52 episode length. Yes, I know all shows do end eventually but my personal cut-off point is 50 episodes, after which I consider a series far too lengthy and "never-ending" unless there is good reason for it. HnG just barely skims past the 50 mark, so I can forgive it's length.

Well, I'll end my rant for now but there are certainly a few other series that don't vibe with me.
With the exception of Cardcaptor Sakura at 70 episodes, I mostly agree here. Long anime that never ends usually don't do so well in my eyes.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 20:48   Link #146
spector
somekid

i guess peach girl. i dont no y, but it just pisses me off. thats about it
spector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:02   Link #147
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-18 View Post
slice of life,
you could be right about school rumble with so many anime out there i get confused some, well most of the time.
You're not alone.

When I first saw some comments about a show called "School Rumble," I figured it was some kind of high-school fighting show. If you've seen any shows about American adolescents in the 1950's (West Side Story and Rebel Without a Cause are good exemplars here), you probably know already that a "rumble" was a slang term for a gang fight. Even though I had SR on my hard drive for a month or two, I didn't bother to watch it because I didn't expect it would be to my taste.

I still wonder why the manga and anime have this name.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 03:48   Link #148
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Contemplating Engrish anime titles takes you only so far.
Old 2008-04-17, 03:51   Link #149
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

mecha... except rahxepon

i guess im one of those few...
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 06:16   Link #150
r-18

mecha is ok if it's not just mecha if you get a good story and character development like eureka 7 ( yes i know not everyone was into it but name one anime that everyone was into)then mecha is ok. like fighting anime i could watch bleach and even naruto but dbz was not for me.
Old 2008-04-17, 06:42   Link #151
Banditopants
Pathetic Wannnabe Writer

I don't like mecha either, unless it has a good story line (I remember one series I liked, but I can't remember the name), I never got into gundam.
Banditopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 06:59   Link #152
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Robot/mecha/sci-fi stuff...
I don't mind Mai hime and kanazaki no miko cause it's not all about that.
But if its about space ships and stuff...i don't even try to watch it.
And like the serie Evangelion.

Also i can't watch anime with to much ecchi/fanservice, through all the episodes.
Love hina, rosario+vampire, tenjou tenge ect.

I don't know if its a genre it's more the story side, but if it's all about mystery stuff, and "traveling through the world to survive". Like spice and wolf, wich i only finished because there were wolves involved.
Shinbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 00:42   Link #153
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I tried my best to watch Code Geass but i can't do it i can't stand it
I hate anything in the mecha genre except for Macross and Gundam Wing
Old 2008-04-20, 00:54   Link #154
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou View Post
Robot/mecha/sci-fi stuff...
I don't mind Mai hime and kanazaki no miko cause it's not all about that.
But if its about space ships and stuff...i don't even try to watch it.
And like the serie Evangelion.

Also i can't watch anime with to much ecchi/fanservice, through all the episodes.
Love hina, rosario+vampire, tenjou tenge ect.

I don't know if its a genre it's more the story side, but if it's all about mystery stuff, and "traveling through the world to survive". Like spice and wolf, wich i only finished because there were wolves involved.
Watched mecha myself, but NOT because of the mechas themselves. The pilots and the back story are the things that interest me.

And yes, no more fanservice for me as well.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:12   Link #155
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well, I'm starting to like mecha more and more now, or at least, the ones with actual plot. I give my thanks to Bokurano and Code Geass and people that have recommended them to me.

I still don't like fanservice anime with no plot, with the exception of Moetan, of course.

EDIT: And of course qtipbrit still can't find the magic in Kino no Tabi.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:13   Link #156
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Watched mecha myself, but NOT because of the mechas themselves. The pilots and the back story are the things that interest me.

And yes, no more fanservice for me as well.
Are you saying that you pick up a series if it's classified as a mecha series because you're sure the pilots' backstories will be interesting?
Or are you saying that you've only liked any mecha series you've seen because the pilots' backstories were interesting?

I've already probably said so, but mindless fanservice doesn't do it for me too. A bit of fanservice thrown in at times is fine (and sometimes good.), so I can stand the occasional fanservice shot and not have my opinion of the show drop. The fanservice in Kanon 2006 is optimal, though.

And I still don't like Slice-of-life as much as other genres. It'll be comedic and amusing for a bit, but a good deal of the series won't be as entertaining. I'll usually pick up any slice-of-life series I hear anything good about though, it's just that I like it less than all of the other stuff, since I really have nothing I'm biased against in anime.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 01:30   Link #157
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Are you saying that you pick up a series if it's classified as a mecha series because you're sure the pilots' backstories will be interesting?
Or are you saying that you've only liked any mecha series you've seen because the pilots' backstories were interesting?
Er well... I dipped my toes in GW. Didn't like the back story so I chucked it.

Got into CE and 00 because of the characters. Loved Liu Mei in 00.

And that's about it. I'm not a heavy anime watcher by any standards. Yes, that means I didn't watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam, or Full Metal Panic.

Because of Gundam (I guess), I've always linked mecha animes with politics.
Old 2008-04-20, 08:38   Link #158
Bou
Nyoron~

Mecha and Sci-fi

I find these boring, they are just no interest to me.
Bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 08:47   Link #159
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyoko View Post
Mecha and Sci-fi

I find these boring, they are just no interest to me.
These 2 genres are just covers for social/political (even medical at times) commentaries, IMO. So, ya, it does put people off.
Old 2008-04-20, 08:52   Link #160
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I can't stand Mecha or Sci-Fi, except for Nadesico and Full Metal Panic.

Does Yuri and Yaoi count as a genre? I don't like those either... I just don't get it.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote