Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 02:17   Link #61
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
The worst first episode I've watched this season. Yawn is the word I can come up to describe Golgo.
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 04:08   Link #62
neshru

Is this series really that popular? The animation quality is just awful.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 04:47   Link #63
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Animation aside, I thought everything else was pretty good. Very oldschool type of show for an oldschool manga. I think studios more accustomed to doing the noir type of show like Madhouse could've done it better.

Also, I think it's a good thing the anime is letting people discover the granddaddy of spy action manga.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 07:09   Link #64
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Is this series really that popular? The animation quality is just awful.
It's an oldie, and a classic for some.

For me it's a bit of both—from back then, in another time when other titles like Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll were defining badassery in anime.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 10:37   Link #65
vorpal83

Stick through it? Golgo doesn't need you, you need Golgo!
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 11:21   Link #66
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

i just watched the first episode and i will just be reiterating what superknuckles said but..

everything was right except for the animation, dont get me wrong im not complaining. It seems like a blast from the past because when i was watching it my father(who read mangas a long time ago) happened to jolt out of his chair when he heard the word "golgo 13" from the computer, then he blabbered about how great it was and how it was the pioneer of anime action series today.

man, after having intense sex he immediately fires 5 bullets that goes straight into five heads! damn!

EDIT: i just remembered. "since when did the CIA and FBI became friends?" INSTANT WIN.

Last edited by Supah Em; 2008-04-16 at 11:34.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 14:32   Link #67
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

I found the first episode surprisingly interesting actually, I was expecting worse considering some of the opinions in this thread. And Although I won't be rushing out to buy the soundtrack, I thought the intro and credits songs were pretty cool too.

So far so good.
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 01:36   Link #68
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
man, after having intense sex he immediately fires 5 bullets that goes straight into five heads! damn!
If you really have to summarize Golgo 13 in one sentence (or two), this would be it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 11:20   Link #69
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This is the first series I have watched for this season. I liked it. It had a noir feel to it, and I like to watch superhuman snipers killing people.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 20:25   Link #70
Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNmedia View Post
About half of Golgo 13 stories don't actually feature Togo himself. Although there are stories with quite a bit of action, the stories tend to range from politics to romance. Hopefully we won't be seeing too much of action-star Golgo.
This is actually very true, in the 2 Movie/OVA's the majority of the story shows more about the people who hire Golgo/Duke, and who they want dead. And theres alot of conspiracy going on everywhere. And in both of those OVA's Golgo didn't get as much screen time as others did. Its kind of like your regular TV shows, like in Law&Order or in Criminal Minds, where alot of episodes are just about the criminals and the victims rather than the main characters.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 22:03   Link #71
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Accurately shooting people in the head is something fun to watch in an anime.
Old 2008-04-19, 15:37   Link #72
NakedAngelX

Just found out today Golgo 13: The Professional was released early as 1992 in the US... a movie on this...
Old 2008-04-19, 15:56   Link #73
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngelX View Post
Just found out today Golgo 13: The Professional was released early as 1992 in the US... a movie on this...
It's just one of the stories (out of oh so many) from the manga.
Old 2008-04-20, 06:03   Link #74
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's just one of the stories (out of oh so many) from the manga.
Volume 148 came out this month.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 07:33   Link #75
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

In the land of never-ending manga, Golgo is king. :P
Old 2008-04-20, 13:38   Link #76
Connavar

I thought the first ep was beyond awesome.

I liked the pace,the lines,the awesome old school jazz like music. The way he didnt let anyone be behind him hehe ! The action was cool too ! The retro feel was awsome,

It felt like watching a badass Noir movie from the 70s. I thought about Dirty Harry alittle when i saw Golgo.
Im a big fan Noir stories in any meduim with their hardcore anti-heroes or non- heroes. Almost only the hard look of Golgo was too good

Its so refreshing to see an adult spy series among all these cute characters and their shonen stories that dominate anime mostly.

I specially liked the old school look of the characters,specially Golgo himself.

Im not total clueless about the uber 200 million selling manga. I ordered vol 1 from my LCS recently when i read about it in wiki. The hardcore James Bond of manga sold it to me
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 14:07   Link #77
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
eh... i still dont get why people think it has poor animation is it just coz of people's taste in style and not the actual animation/drawing itself? i do know that A LOT of people cant bring themselves to like oldschool drawing styles. personally i think the visuals are better than most of the crap we get today.
but as far as visuals are concerned, i prefer the movie and ova from the 1983 and 1998.

to sum it up, i thought the first ep was pretty awsome!

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:38   Link #78
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
eh... i still dont get why people think it has poor animation is it just coz of people's taste in style and not the actual animation/drawing itself? i do know that A LOT of people cant bring themselves to like oldschool drawing styles. personally i think the visuals are better than most of the crap we get today.
but as far as visuals are concerned, i prefer the movie and ova from the 1983 and 1998.

to sum it up, i thought the first ep was pretty awsome!
The art is pretty good, but the animation isn't. There's a lot of panning over still images. The show doesn't really even need it though.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 13:59   Link #79
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I watched half of the first ep before going to bed and I have to say I like it . Reminded me of HitMan . The anime came as suave and slick : D
Old 2008-04-21, 16:58   Link #80
The_TempesT

Great 2nd episode. Basically just showed how damn badass Golgo is.

For being so old school I'm really enjoying this!
The_TempesT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, gekiga, seinen