AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-21, 19:26   Link #81
ssfsx17

The 2nd episode was even better than the first!

Spoiler for episode 2:
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 20:08   Link #82
RMgX

Did anyone get what the police guy said abouth the cartrididge, I thought it sounded like 30-99 but I have never heard of that, only .30-06, .308, .30-378 weatherby magnum and .300 magnum out of the 30 something calibres that go with Weatherby mark 5. The translation also said rimfire but that can't be right or are the actors just saing strange things? my japanese isn't good enough.
RMgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 23:40   Link #83
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
The worst first episode I've watched this season. Yawn is the word I can come up to describe Golgo.
Well I'm gonna give it more time, before I give my verdict on it after I watched the second episode tomorrow night. Right now I'm check more on this manga of Golgo 13.
Old 2008-04-22, 00:23   Link #84
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Golgo 13 is pure badass , I dont quite get the James Bond comparison I have not read Ian Fleming's James Bond but I have watched the movie adaptations . In all of them James is very cheeky but Golgo on other hand is all business and no jokes. Personality wise they are fundamentally different .

The first episode kind of reminded me of Day of the Jackal at least the gun part DX
Old 2008-04-22, 01:51   Link #85
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I just love how every episode is a study case on why Golgo 13 is such a badass. It's very simple but very entertaining IMO. Also, the animation doesn't bother me much anymore. It's simple but effective. And Golgo is one creepy dude.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 02:01   Link #86
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Golgo 13 is the longest running manga with 148 volumes and nearly 40 years of publication. It was sad it did not get the publicity or hype it deserved on AS : (
Old 2008-04-22, 04:58   Link #87
aiHD
SpoonSubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMgX View Post
Did anyone get what the police guy said abouth the cartrididge, I thought it sounded like 30-99 but I have never heard of that, only .30-06, .308, .30-378 weatherby magnum and .300 magnum out of the 30 something calibres that go with Weatherby mark 5. The translation also said rimfire but that can't be right or are the actors just saing strange things? my japanese isn't good enough.
Sam says 「30口径、ロング・ライフルリムレス」.
aiHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 08:44   Link #88
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
The worst first episode I've watched this season. Yawn is the word I can come up to describe Golgo.
I fully agree with this and when I read this thread I was shocked that so many people were praising it. Luckily I thought the second episode was an huge improvement over the first one.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 15:31   Link #89
vorpal83

I guess it proves how much of a badass he is, using rimfires.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 16:36   Link #90
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal83 View Post
I guess it proves how much of a badass he is, using rimfires.
why is that? can you please explain this to none-gun-wielding viewers?

Old 2008-04-22, 16:46   Link #91
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
why is that? can you please explain this to none-gun-wielding viewers?

According to Wiki

Quote:

A rimfire is a type of firearm cartridge. It is called a rimfire because instead of the firing pin striking the primer cap at the center of the base of the cartridge to ignite it (as in a centerfire cartridge), the pin strikes the base's rim. The rim of the rimfire cartridge is essentially an extended and widened percussion cap which contains the priming compound, while the cartridge case itself contains the propellant powder and the projectile (bullet). Once the rim of cartridge has been struck and the bullet discharged, the cartridge cannot be reloaded, because the head has been deformed by the firing pin impact. While many different cartridge priming methods have been tried, only rimfire and centerfire survive today in significant use.
More Info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire
Old 2008-04-23, 03:32   Link #92
Green²
It's bacon!

Spoiler for Ep. 2:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 03:54   Link #93
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, but the burden of proof is with the police. And really, insanely difficult shots have been a contentious point for a long time. That is not excluding the supposed 'magic shot' in the JFK shooting. But that evidence was pretty clear because there were so many witnesses. With Golgo, that was basically impossible.
Old 2008-04-23, 14:17   Link #94
gvozden
Waterproofed Legion

Regarding bullet matching from

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0502040751.asp
By John R. Lott Jr.February 04, 2005

Moreover, ballistic fingerprinting can be thwarted by replacing the gun's barrel — just as criminals can foil tire matching by simply replacing their tires. In general, the markings on bullets can be altered even more quickly and easily than the tread marks on tires: Scratching part of the inside of a barrel with a nail file would alter the bullet's path down the barrel and thus change the markings. So would putting toothpaste on a bullet before firing it.

A recent study by the State of California points to further practical difficulties with ballistic fingerprinting. The study tested 790 pistols firing a total of 2,000 rounds. When the cartridges used with a particular gun came from the same manufacturer, computer matching failed 38 percent of the time. When the cartridges came from different manufacturers, the failure rate rose to 62 percent.
gvozden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 14:50   Link #95
vorpal83

Rimfires are old tech and basically going extinct. In general, you have less power in a rimfire, with the upside that it's quieter, but when you're doin long range sniping...

In tech speak, the rimfires get hit by the firing pin on the rim, so the casing has to be thinner, and thus can handle less pressure(power) than a centerfire, which has a seperate primer in the center, which allows thicker casings and higher pressures(power).

Bullets don't travel in a straight line, it's like throwing a stone. The more power you have, the less the shot will drift due to wind and gravity, simply cos its travelling at a faster speed.

Last edited by vorpal83; 2008-04-23 at 15:02.
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 09:12   Link #96
Connavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Golgo 13 is pure badass , I dont quite get the James Bond comparison I have not read Ian Fleming's James Bond but I have watched the movie adaptations . In all of them James is very cheeky but Golgo on other hand is all business and no jokes. Personality wise they are fundamentally different .

The first episode kind of reminded me of Day of the Jackal at least the gun part DX

Its because every James Bond book fan knows Bond is hardcore badass that even makes Daniel Graig one look like a wuss(which he was far from).

When Golgo 13 was new maybe Bond was still most know as book spy hero, not mostly for the movies.

Its just typical hollywood that gave him clichè lines and pretty boy player part.

Fleming worked in the real spy world, i doubt his version is near the hollywood version.

Heh i actually just ordered The Day of The Jackal book inspired by Golgo 13 eps
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 08:12   Link #97
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
eh... i still dont get why people think it has poor animation is it just coz of people's taste in style and not the actual animation/drawing itself? i do know that A LOT of people cant bring themselves to like oldschool drawing styles. personally i think the visuals are better than most of the crap we get today.
but as far as visuals are concerned, i prefer the movie and ova from the 1983 and 1998.

to sum it up, i thought the first ep was pretty awsome!
First ep was better than all the negative hype, I agree. But it didn't really say anything about Golgo or his methods much unlike the much better composed episode 2. And it's the first time anyone is seeing it (for most who weren't reading manga in the 70's..) and it's just too new to get really attached to the stonefaced killer.

Also, the show at first did seem like the used too much static images, but why cry over spilled milk? I don't think they'd really blow huge budgets for ancient manga revivals and it was serviceable enough.
Old 2008-04-25, 17:51   Link #98
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal83 View Post
Rimfires are old tech and basically going extinct. In general, you have less power in a rimfire, with the upside that it's quieter, but when you're doin long range sniping...

In tech speak, the rimfires get hit by the firing pin on the rim, so the casing has to be thinner, and thus can handle less pressure(power) than a centerfire, which has a seperate primer in the center, which allows thicker casings and higher pressures(power).

Bullets don't travel in a straight line, it's like throwing a stone. The more power you have, the less the shot will drift due to wind and gravity, simply cos its travelling at a faster speed.
thanks for the explanation, it certainly makes things more enjoyable to understand this point.

i guess the author really does his homework on firearms.
Old 2008-04-26, 04:11   Link #99
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Has anyone watched the movie ? I found Golgo 13 The Proffesional the 80s animated movie . I also heard there are 2 live actions from 70s
Old 2008-04-29, 22:50   Link #100
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Has anyone watched the movie ? I found Golgo 13 The Proffesional the 80s animated movie . I also heard there are 2 live actions from 70s
I own both movies on Soopa VHS and to this day it's hard to beat the raw style of one Golgo 13...Queen Bee is the only b!tch close to his level (And I say b!tch as a compliment I know she would enjoy^^)...

As for ep 2...Can I say genius? I feel like I've been transported back in time as I watch this show...The cheezy video-game music during the commercial and epilouge have me reaching for quarters that don't exist^^...It is so on-point with the feel of what Golgo 13 is about, I'm telling you...For someone who knows nothing about this character this was a great intro episode (Unlike ep 1 which was more of a "throw you into the fire" type episode)...I mean you leave this episode understanding the creature, the monster Golgo really is thru the eyes of a very smart and eager detective who knows his stuff...Unfortunatley he doesn't know he's only touched the tip of the iceberg...

Episode 3 looks just as awesome...I love this $hit so far...I'm actually kinda shocked that they brought back this 80's, 90's classic and it actually STILL LOOKS LIKE THE OLD STUFF...Keep it up guys...

Tags
action, gekiga, seinen