AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 123 72.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 14.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-17, 04:51   Link #181
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Poor Leon, getting all the hate because of his weird haircut, and his "french kiss" on screen.

I kinda like him because his seiyuu is Tomokazu Sugita (awesome Gintoki, Kyon and Mayama).
Old 2008-05-17, 05:36   Link #182
ReddyRedWolf

Actually Klein can also explain Mikhail's secret crush on Ranka.

If Mikhail does regard Klein as a big sister.

It's like those studies that saw a trend of people growing up like siblings do not find each other attractive.

But find attraction to similar archetypes.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2008-05-17 at 05:57.
Old 2008-05-17, 06:41   Link #183
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Poor Leon, getting all the hate because of his weird haircut, and his "french kiss" on screen.

I kinda like him because his seiyuu is Tomokazu Sugita (awesome Gintoki, Kyon and Mayama).
It's not like I hate Leon. I loved Tomokazu in Gintama and Haruhi, but it's just fun to pick on his hair I guess. The one I'm hating on is Cathy for...well, I guess I can't blame her. She probably was just too heartbroken from Ozma or whatever. Anyway, there are a thousand of reasons why people vomit, she doesn't have to be pregnant. But this is anime, and they've been hinting at that, so I'll say she is.

Leon seems to be the bad guy in the series so far...but I can't really take him seriously with that bloody haircut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan
That doesn't take away the fact that Leon looks like a vulture at times.
I'm going to blame the bad animation, but yes, Leon's face even reminds me of a crescent moon at times. Pointy chin and all. :|
Old 2008-05-17, 06:50   Link #184
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
But this is anime, and they've been hinting at that, so I'll say she is.
How is teasing from Bobby because she couldn't handle the movement a hint? I mean why the hell would Bobby know? Unless there's another hint somewhere you might want to tell us about....
Old 2008-05-17, 08:46   Link #185
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
How is teasing from Bobby because she couldn't handle the movement a hint? I mean why the hell would Bobby know? Unless there's another hint somewhere you might want to tell us about....
He can always speak out the truth without knowing it's truth, if director asks him to.
Old 2008-05-17, 09:04   Link #186
Westlo
Lets be reality

As in how a offhand comment/jibe actually hits a target? Possibly but Cathy didn't react to that comment in a manner to suggest it's true but than again she might not even know she's pregnant if she was. All we can do is speculate unless there's another hint like ani_d may have been referring too.
Old 2008-05-17, 09:22   Link #187
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
What's hard to imagine is giant Zentradi children interacting with mixed and human children. Unless they were related, like cousins, I just can't see where they could know eachother on more than a casual and infrequent basis. And due to Klein's unique micloning situation, I can't imagine a young Michael looking to her for security as those lines seem to imply.

They are the same age right? If not...

*Imagines the Meltrandi Klein "Babysitter" scenario*

I really wish it was me...
I can imagine a multi-level daycare or preschool scenario, like the mall but with miclone and full-size Zentradi staff, to let the kids interact and play together - including certain educational video games in a cooperative fashion. Social gaming, like how kids play in the street but ensuring the safety of the Miclones or humans.

And Babysitter Klein? I can see her being a few years older... and imagining it in both all-Meltlandi Klein as well as chibi-Klein modes.

Chibi-Klein: "Go to bed!"
Mikhail(age 10): "No, and you can't make me! It's dark, and you're not any bigger!"
C-k: "I am older, and your mom left me here to make sure you got to bed at nine. Now if you're a scaredy cat, I can tuck younin..."
M: "You take that back, Shorty!"
Old 2008-05-17, 09:29   Link #188
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I can imagine a multi-level daycare or preschool scenario, like the mall but with miclone and full-size Zentradi staff, to let the kids interact and play together - including certain educational video games in a cooperative fashion. Social gaming, like how kids play in the street but ensuring the safety of the Miclones or humans.

And Babysitter Klein? I can see her being a few years older... and imagining it in both all-Meltlandi Klein as well as chibi-Klein modes.

Chibi-Klein: "Go to bed!"
Mikhail(age 10): "No, and you can't make me! It's dark, and you're not any bigger!"
C-k: "I am older, and your mom left me here to make sure you got to bed at nine. Now if you're a scaredy cat, I can tuck you in..."
M: "You take that back, Shorty!"
ReddyRedWolf: if that was the case, turn he should be chasing older women... Which episode 5 says he does, and not Ranka. Now if he grew up with an imouto type of friend...

As for the Leon hate, it's probably due to his cold attitude and lack of visible attachment to Cathy that fuels it- he really didn't look concerned when she fainted- he was more upset about the Vajra waking up, while Ozma was trying to make sure she was fine instead of trying to kill the Vajra as one would have expected given his hatred and obsession with them.

Crap, this was supposed to be an edit to my last and not a reply. No C&P capability at the moment either.
Old 2008-05-17, 12:01   Link #189
Cloudmaster101

Mmm..... did he take the earring with him when the valkryie got destroyed?
Old 2008-05-17, 12:03   Link #190
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmaster101 View Post
Mmm..... did he take the earring with him when the valkryie got destroyed?
Since they zoomed out in the shot he ejected there is inconclusive evidence to say yes or no to that question. He was looking at in a scene or two before the ejection though so personally I'll lean to yes but we won't know until next episode.
Old 2008-05-17, 13:07   Link #191
ani_d

Quote:
If I say Lt. Bobby is omniscient, would that be enough hint? lol

Cathy's a military girl. Enough said. She wasn't seeing anything disgusting. She didn't hit her head. She didn't just come out of a GI surgery. She was completely fine. So you are sitting there, watching Cathy do her job on the bridge, and all of a sudden, she feels like vomiting and runs away. You as the audience sits at the screen and goes WTF? And then to answer your confusion, they made someone say something so that you can go, "Ohhhh, that's why...." It's something that needed to be said to raise up flags because there is something that made her vomit.

If she wasn't pregnant, then something must be wrong. I don't think something as insignificant as food poisoning (eating a moldy cheeseburger etc) will be good enough to make WAVES in the story in terms of plot twist. They won't just show Cathy vomiting + Bobby's POINTLESS joke if it isn't important to the story. What are they trying to prove? Lieutenant Cathy can't handle a tremor and Bobby is a beautician who spouts nonsense? They're not going to waste their budget for irrelevant stuff. If you have a better suggestion of why the writer would do this scene, then please, enlighten us. It's not like I'm too hardcore enforcing that Cathy's pregnant.

I understand you're probably just being technical, so speaking of technicality, I'm just going say that there is no way Alto could have saved Sheryl's earring. It's been eating me, so let me rant here.

Spoiler for a little bit of technical ranting:

I'm not saying this as an attack to disprove Sheryl fans, isn't it supposed to be a good thing? But if it turns out that he really did manage to save the earring, then anime has done it again. Reality and anime are different.
Old 2008-05-17, 13:24   Link #192
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
They won't just show Cathy vomiting + Bobby's POINTLESS joke if it isn't important to the story. What are they trying to prove? Lieutenant Cathy can't handle a tremor and Bobby is a beautician who spouts nonsense? They're not going to waste their budget for irrelevant stuff.
I think you're reading too much into this scene and it's not like Bobby's talking and Cathy running out is a deal breaker in terms of the budget.. especially after everything else in this episode Anyway why can't it just be banter from Bobby? Why does it have to be meaningful?

And yes Cathy couldn't handle the motion or she wouldn't have let out a scream at 20:13.

Quote:
This was all supposed to be happening while he was screaming his warcry btw.
And what does his vocal cords have to do with his hand movements? Anyway I wouldn't discount him having grabbed the earring until he tells Sheryl that he lost it. Even if it's lost after what happened this episode I bet it turns up again anyway...

Quote:
I'm not saying this as an attack to disprove Sheryl fans, isn't it supposed to be a good thing?
Of course, I'll welcome the disappearance of a relationship crutch, increases the chances.

Quote:
Reality and anime are different.
Duh!
Old 2008-05-17, 13:35   Link #193
Wesley84

I haven't heard anyone approve of the infamous kiss scene, which I think is the sole reason for someone to not like Leon. You wouldn't even know who is without it. It's not like he did something wrong, but I know it made myself and many others feel uncomfortable.

I think I'll look at Cathy getting sick as a cheap gag, rather than a real developement of her or Bobby's characters.
Old 2008-05-17, 13:48   Link #194
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
If I say Lt. Bobby is omniscient, would that be enough hint? lol

Cathy's a military girl. Enough said. She wasn't seeing anything disgusting. She didn't hit her head. She didn't just come out of a GI surgery. She was completely fine. So you are sitting there, watching Cathy do her job on the bridge, and all of a sudden, she feels like vomiting and runs away. You as the audience sits at the screen and goes WTF? And then to answer your confusion, they made someone say something so that you can go, "Ohhhh, that's why...." It's something that needed to be said to raise up flags because there is something that made her vomit.

If she wasn't pregnant, then something must be wrong. I don't think something as insignificant as food poisoning (eating a moldy cheeseburger etc) will be good enough to make WAVES in the story in terms of plot twist. They won't just show Cathy vomiting + Bobby's POINTLESS joke if it isn't important to the story. What are they trying to prove? Lieutenant Cathy can't handle a tremor and Bobby is a beautician who spouts nonsense? They're not going to waste their budget for irrelevant stuff. If you have a better suggestion of why the writer would do this scene, then please, enlighten us. It's not like I'm too hardcore enforcing that Cathy's pregnant.
Cathy is a ship operator, not a fighter pilot. She certainly wasn't expecting the SMS Macross ¼ to be built like a Macross, but handle like a VF fighter plane, suddenly pulling insane maneuvers in Gerwalk mode to charge the enemy, when traditionally Macross classes have poor maneuverability and mostly take out the enemy from far off with their cannons. After that surprise coaster ride, of course she is feeling queasy.

The point of that scene is just to establish the advantages of the Macross ¼'s size.

Plus, it's already established that Bobby enjoys lame jokes and lines.
Old 2008-05-17, 14:04   Link #195
ani_d

Quote:
I think you're reading too much into this scene and it's not like Bobby's talking and Cathy running out is a deal breaker in terms of the budget.. especially after everything else in this episode Anyway why can't it just be banter from Bobby? Why does it have to be meaningful?
Because the production team won't give the audience a random scene that serves no real purpose? It's a basic rule in a decent movies and shows. With Kawamori's reputation, I consider Macross F a decent show.

Quote:
And yes Cathy couldn't handle the motion or she wouldn't have let out a scream at 20:13.
A military woman can't handle the heat? It's either she cheated her way up to her spot, or ah, she is pregnant.

Quote:
And what does his vocal cords have to do with his hand movements? Anyway I wouldn't discount him having grabbed the earring until he tells Sheryl that he lost it. Even if it's lost after what happened this episode I bet it turns up again anyway...
lol I can just imagine Alto screaming, grabbing the earring, putting it in his nonexistent pocket all the while his and his subordinate's life is on the line---and miraculously the thing didn't drift away in the vastness of outerspace. But if you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Duh!
If we both agree on this, then you should know reality can have meaningless things happen as long as it follows rules of physics, and a story can not. No matter how pointless the scene is, there's always a reason why it will be given a screentime. If what you say is true, then let's just shoot Bobby for being so mean to Cathy and a nonsense spouter who victimizes audience for his misleading insinuations. What a random, inappropriate offhand comment to make a time like that. Really. And that giggling girl behind Bobby should not be off the hook.

lol anyway, despite all that, I'm hoping Cathy isn't pregnant too because I am so disappointed with her. I still think she is though. :|

*edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Cathy is a ship operator, not a fighter pilot. She certainly wasn't expecting the SMS Macross ¼ to be built like a Macross, but handle like a VF fighter plane, suddenly pulling insane maneuvers in Gerwalk mode to charge the enemy, when traditionally Macross classes have poor maneuverability and mostly take out the enemy from far off with their cannons. After that surprise coaster ride, of course she is feeling queasy.

The point of that scene is just to establish the advantages of the Macross ¼'s size.

Still though, she has the word lieutenant in front of her name. Women who can earn themselves a title in the military are not wishy washy. How can you be that frail? x___x....Just look at the bridge bunnies.

The last joke I remember Bobby pulled was Alto's make up, and he was right on the mark anyway. An offhand comment hitting the mark? This is anime. It should work.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-05-17 at 14:46.
Old 2008-05-17, 14:17   Link #196
Westlo
Lets be reality

Why wouldn't Bobby make fun of her and Mena Roshan laugh when she's an outsider to S.M.S? They aren't her friends... Really I can't believe you're taking this scene at face value, Bobby is clearly joking.. look at the way he said it and the hand motions and the exaggerated laugh.. which is why Mena found it funny. If he had quietly said something to himself like "oh she's pregnant" (and how the fuck would he know anyway) you might have a basis but he didn't.

And she just took a ride on a massive version of a Valkryie pretty much which was moving at full speed, if she's trained like Misa Hayase was than the type of movement you see in the first series is what she's prepared for. Not a 400 meter version of a Valkyrie moving at full speed.
Old 2008-05-17, 14:18   Link #197
Tabris

Alto managed to keep Sheryl's earring with him when being attacked by a red vajra and being shot down whilst just in his EX-Gear, as well flying the VF-25 without a hood.

It then turned up with Gilliam's other possessions in the SMS hanger, from which he managed to retrieve the earring and place it in his locker. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he still has the earring on his person next episode.

Edit: Wow, I've had this thread open for like 2 hours. Oops
Old 2008-05-17, 14:23   Link #198
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
ReddyRedWolf: if that was the case, turn he should be chasing older women... Which episode 5 says he does, and not Ranka. Now if he grew up with an imouto type of friend...
Then pray tell why he's a little pissed off when he saw Alto with Ranka the second time.

Plus he now questions Alto's relationship with both girls. Isn't that a little hypocritical.

Well one of the reasons probably that he's not making a move on Ranka is her "I'll kill you if you mess with my little sister" brother.

He tries to hide the lolicon fetish with a oneesama fetish. Mikhail's a complex guy with complex.

Klein being hot and adorable didn't help his preferences.
Old 2008-05-17, 14:25   Link #199
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post

Oh, I thought it was normal for a capital ship to outperform VFs. Certainly that's how it'd be in real life with bigger ships with bigger engines able to get better speed and handling. I guess Quarter's stunts in this last episode were fairly unprecedented in Macross then.
Old 2008-05-17, 16:20   Link #200
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Oh, I thought it was normal for a capital ship to outperform VFs. Certainly that's how it'd be in real life with bigger ships with bigger engines able to get better speed and handling.
Depends on power to weight ratio. Compare a real life example i.e. Airbus 380 vs Rockwell B1 Lancer.
Closed Thread