AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2008-06-30, 17:58   Link #501
drmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
You don't need to apologize for asking.
In my opinion, unless there's suddenly a rapid change in editing/translation checking, we'll have around 0-2 SEENs edited per week if the rate stays at normal. There are almost 200 SEENs.

Because of fluctuating amounts of work done, we can't give a guess as to a time frame. Sometimes, there's a lot of work done [Such as in the beginning.], and sometimes there isn't.

I'm not experienced, but at the current rate, I'd say that the project will extend into 2009.
Oh don't be so modest OceanBlue! , your last post was very informative so I'd have to say your experienced enough when it comes to this subject anyway thanks for the input.

Additionally I had no idea the editors had such a strenuous and difficult task ahead of them similar to what the translators did before them (I've now come to appreciate the editors work a bit more ) thanks again.
drmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 19:45   Link #502
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

The reason I say I'm not experienced is because this is the first time I've ever tried to help with a translation project. You don't need experience to interpret data, but you do need experience to make forecasts based on the data, and I don't have that experience. You're welcome though; I'll try to do the best I can with the meager experience I have.

I personally don't think editing is as hard as translating, but that's my opinion.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 22:47   Link #503
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Editing question: How much leeway do I have with editing?

I came across this sentence:
"But it wasn't the figure of Kouko-san, but instead of a man standing there."

And I want to change it to this:
"But, instead of Kouko-san, a man is standing there."

There isn't a meaning change, but there's a large difference in phrasing. So how much am I allowed to alter a sentence if I keep the meaning intact?

I'll probably end up posting it in the Clannad:Cleanup section and asking a translator to change it, but I'm impatient and it takes a while, so I don't like depending on the translators to change things when I can change them myself.

Edit: Maybe I should be asking these questions in Baka-Tsuki....
Old 2008-07-19, 22:59   Link #504
velocity7

You can ask them here as well.

As long as the meaning of the original sentence is not modified, editing is fine (in the example you provided, this works).

However, if you find a translation that you think sounds mistranslated, mention it and maybe someone can have a look at it.
Old 2008-07-27, 15:52   Link #505
Taunt

Russian game translation project: http://game.clannad-tv.ru/
^_^

Last edited by Taunt; 2008-07-27 at 16:25.
Taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 01:31   Link #506
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Russian translation ? Of course, re-translation from english, isn't it ?
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 01:40   Link #507
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Russian translation ? Of course, re-translation from english, isn't it ?
Certainly not a good thing. I haven't even qualified the English translation to be ready for that kind of consumption anyway, lol!

Especially if changes occur in the SEEN scripts (which will happen quite a lot over the months), that is going to be major management hell for them.

That said and done, the only projects I'd really see being truly alive and able to hold their own is anything translating directly from the Japanese text.
Old 2008-07-28, 10:56   Link #508
Ottocycle

Just curious, but how is the Botan-nabe joke translated in the English version(as of now)?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 16:33   Link #509
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Eh? I thought it would be Japanese => Russian. Some of the English lines are difficult to interpret, most likely because the phrasing is too Japanese-literal and make very little sense to someone who doesn't speak Japanese and know what the line is saying beforehand [It could just be me. Chances are, it isn't.]. There will probably be some mistranslations that are caught later on, too.

I agree with velocity7. Either it isn't going to last, or there are going to be a ridiculous amount of errors in it.

Edit:
Quote:
<0107> \{Sunohara} "Yeah... anyway, what's this about a \g{Botan-nabe}={Botan-nabe is a stewpot dish of wild boar's meat and vegetables in a broth. The thin slices of raw meat are beautifully arranged on a large plate in the shape of a peony flower. Boar's meat is highly nutritious, and remains soft even after a long boiling. Wild boar's meat becomes most fatty and tasty between November and February, the coldest period in a year.}? If you need miso, there isn't any unless we head back to the dorm."
I don't know anything about the coding, so I don't know how that looks in the game. I assume it's a mouse-over note or something.
Old 2008-07-28, 21:40   Link #510
Invi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I don't know anything about the coding, so I don't know how that looks in the game. I assume it's a mouse-over note or something.
I saw that lines just 2h ago. If that was a "mouse over" thing, then I missed this, just didn't noticed anything special in these lines. I mean, that TL note in {} was't here (well I'm using some old unoficial patch so it might be the case)
But for things like "Botan-nabe", etc it would not be a bad idea to put all things like that with description in one pdf file. As form me, all TL notes in one pdf would be great.
Invi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 21:51   Link #511
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It's probably easy to do too, since the translators were nice enough to put 'Translation notes' at the top of each SEEN page.
You won't get it until the official patch comes out anyways.

Ugh, I don't want to spoil myself, but I have to if I want to continue editing past Kotomi's [And probably Tomoyo's] route.
Old 2008-07-29, 01:40   Link #512
Invi
*Fansubber

Well, I know that I have to wait for nice things
Thanks God all SEEN files are public available on baka-tsuki so as well as waiting, I can go make one file with all TL notes by myself and edit my crappy & old seen too. It's just a mater of boredom, free time, and being impatient

As for getting spoiled, just get "unofficial" patch, or make one yourself, play the game, and then do editing

P.S.
Oh great. I have to study maths for Technical University, (I will begin my first year in October) and now I'm starting to go crazy about Clannad... again, hope that wont cause a disaster
Old 2008-07-29, 18:16   Link #513
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Well, I have to wait for nice things, so I'll wait until the pain of wanting the patch exceeds my annoyance of having to use an unofficial patch, especially when I've pledged to myself to work on the official patch.
Old 2008-07-29, 21:31   Link #514
Ottocycle

Wow, looks like there is some massive effort going on for this. I appreciate the work and will be waiting for it, since I'm going through my first playthrough with Clannad FV and making do with understanding 60-70% of the text(mostly Tomoya's, since I'm slowly becoming not bothered).
Old 2008-08-02, 13:42   Link #515
amjzz

There are many seen.txt versions....im waiting for a good patch...

By the way, anyone knows how to fix this text:

Spoiler for translation?:

Weird text in a bad position....

Off-topic: 100 posts!!!.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 19:51   Link #516
Invi
*Fansubber

I think unofficial patches are unsupported here
Just run your Cannad in debug mode, thanks to that you should be able to see SEEN number in the title bar, then decompress your SEEN.txt with rldev , find seen with number you saw at that line on your screen and edit it. Save it. compress all SEENXX files into one SEEN.txt, run Clannad in normal mode, enjoy

Or get another unofficial patch. I think I saw some at hongfire^^
Old 2008-08-02, 21:57   Link #517
amjzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invi View Post
I think unofficial patches are unsupported here
Just run your Cannad in debug mode, thanks to that you should be able to see SEEN number in the title bar, then decompress your SEEN.txt with rldev , find seen with number you saw at that line on your screen and edit it. Save it. compress all SEENXX files into one SEEN.txt, run Clannad in normal mode, enjoy

Or get another unofficial patch. I think I saw some at hongfire^^
Thanks for the answer.

Um...what makes a patch unofficial? There are many english patches for clannad on the web, but...is there an official one?.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 22:18   Link #518
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Thanks for the answer.

Um...what makes a patch unofficial? There are many english patches for clannad on the web, but...is there an official one?.
Nope, the official patch is not out yet.
Old 2008-08-03, 00:39   Link #519
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Thanks for the answer.

First off, a patch is unofficial when it's not distributed or created by Baka-Tsuki, the people who are translating it. What you guys are getting are versions where people rip the [incomplete and unchecked] translations off of Baka-Tsuki, compile them, and distribute them.

An official patch doesn't exist, because the patch hasn't been completed yet.

Also, unofficial patches aren't supported at Baka-Tsuki. It's up to velocity7 or the moderators [I don't know who.] as to if unofficial patches are supported here.
Old 2008-08-09, 08:01   Link #520
Yojimbo108
The Dark Aeon

Are any of these patches actually complete in the sense that all dialogue is translated? Or is it just that the official patch has yet to go through all the grammar/editing stuff?

Edit: Is there any place to check on progress of the official patch as well? something like a % or ETA?
Yojimbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, game patch, key, pc game, translation