AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-08-01, 16:04   Link #761
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoujin View Post
anime_layer, I'm using that build you made and it's working fine, I was wondering how can I change audio modes? In the previous one that was floating around I used to press J and that would let me change the subtitles, and with the audio I'd use -aid and the number of the track.

How does it work for your compiled version?

I also noticed that, if I press J it changes the subtitles but it doesn't show up any text (like the version floating around used to do).

Edit: I just saw the parameters thing in the preferences, so I'm working it again with -aid.
With mplayer you switch audio tracks with #. In other words shift+3
Old 2008-08-01, 17:17   Link #762
blueorange

is there a way to get mplayer to play nicely with ogm?

# doesn't change audio and ass styling doesn't work on subtitles.
Old 2008-08-02, 00:52   Link #763
HaloZero

Is there a way to set an input.conf file only using the dmg and not compiling it yourself?

For some reason mac ports is running into an error when trying to install sql-lite on my computer.
Old 2008-08-04, 01:27   Link #764
Hellion314

I'm currently using the mplayer version that was originally posted here and its able to play the .mkv files, but for video files such as h.264 (1280x720) and higher, the video seems to be delayed from the audio. I've been browsing through the forums but I can't seem to find a fix for this. Am I missing something?

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz w/ 2 gb of ram. Mac OS X 10.5.4
Old 2008-08-04, 04:17   Link #765
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion314 View Post
I'm currently using the mplayer version that was originally posted here and its able to play the .mkv files, but for video files such as h.264 (1280x720) and higher, the video seems to be delayed from the audio. I've been browsing through the forums but I can't seem to find a fix for this. Am I missing something?

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz w/ 2 gb of ram. Mac OS X 10.5.4
Try using + and - to adjust audio delay. Other than that I personally wouldn't know.
I definitely know that your computer is capable of it because I have the 2,4GHz Core2 Duo MacBook Pro w/ 2GB RAM on 10.5.4
Old 2008-08-04, 13:04   Link #766
Hellion314

Even with the delays it seems to be off still.
Old 2008-08-04, 13:21   Link #767
Nonezumi

Quote:
Even with the delays it seems to be off still.
That build with h264 even on a computer of your spec would most likely still choke with 1080p causing the picture to go out of sync with the sound.

Most 720p should be OK as long as it's not hellishly high-bitrate.

The only option you really have is to enable frame skip to keep everything in check. Not ideal, but better than looking as if you're watching a badly dubbed movie.
Old 2008-08-04, 13:36   Link #768
Hellion314

Well it seems my comp is able to run the HD ver 1280 x720 and higher, I got it playing on quicktime w/ perian. I don't like using quicktime, which is why I wanted to get it working on Mplayer.
Old 2008-08-04, 15:19   Link #769
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Well it seems my comp is able to run the HD ver 1280 x720 and higher, I got it playing on quicktime w/ perian. I don't like using quicktime, which is why I wanted to get it working on Mplayer.
I had that issue with a certain series, but I don't think the resolution was that large. I didn't know about the audio shifting; that probably would have fixed it, but for me Quicktime + Perian fixed it. On the other hand, there are some series that Quicktime seems to choke on, but MPlayer handles flawlessly. Just have both on hand, I suppose Interestingly, the delay didn't seem to be caused by an overstrained system - I was watching my processor utilization and I don't think either core ever went above the high 60%'s. Unless there's a bottleneck somewhere else, I figured that it was just something with the way that the video was encoded and the way that the player wanted to interpret it.
Old 2008-08-05, 00:40   Link #770
Hellion314

I guess I'll just do that. I was hoping I was just missing something and there was a fix to it. I'll just wait for future versions, hoping it'll fix this.

Thanks.
Old 2008-08-05, 14:24   Link #771
melon

Does anyone if it's possible to load an external .ass file with MPlayer?

If I try to manually choose the subtitle file, MPlayer doesn't even let me pick it (it's greyed out). It seems it doesn't recognise .ass as being a valid type of external subtitle file however if I rename the extension to srt for example, I can pick it, but they don't work.

The subs themselves are fine as I can play it back on PC but I prefer to watch on my Mac as it has a better (widescreen) monitor. They also work in VLC but it doesn't handle any of the font styling so it looks horrible.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2008-08-05, 15:41   Link #772
Nonezumi

Quote:
I guess I'll just do that. I was hoping I was just missing something and there was a fix to it. I'll just wait for future versions, hoping it'll fix this.

Thanks.
I did have that problem with my old build, but the slightly newer one seemed to solve that problem. However, it's probably best to try out anime_layer's new version rather than mine now!
Old 2008-08-05, 15:45   Link #773
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post

If I try to manually choose the subtitle file, MPlayer doesn't even let me pick it (it's greyed out). It seems it doesn't recognise .ass as being a valid type of external subtitle file however if I rename the extension to srt for example, I can pick it, but they don't work.

The subs themselves are fine as I can play it back on PC but I prefer to watch on my Mac as it has a better (widescreen) monitor. They also work in VLC but it doesn't handle any of the font styling so it looks horrible.

Thanks for any help.
Without having an ASS file to check, it does say that you can do it from the command line. Just remember you will also have to specify the command lines you'd use with the front-end as well.
Old 2008-08-05, 17:24   Link #774
melon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
Without having an ASS file to check, it does say that you can do it from the command line. Just remember you will also have to specify the command lines you'd use with the front-end as well.
Thanks, I just tried via Terminal and it does indeed work although it's a very long winded method.

I guess I'd have to compile my own version of MPlayer or something if I wanted a GUI option but that's too daunting of a task for me - I barely figured out how to open a file through command line
Old 2008-08-05, 17:24   Link #775
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
MPlayer should detect the file if it has the same name as the movie file i.e. "movie.mkv" and "movie.ass".
Try to cycle subtitles with "j", I think it should be selectable then.
Old 2008-08-05, 17:28   Link #776
melon

How odd, I swear I already tried that as I knew of the auto detection thing and it didn't work, however now it does...

Now I look like a right fool, well, more than usual. Thanks for the help anime_layer
Old 2008-08-05, 23:23   Link #777
Pandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
Managed to cross-compile to ppc. Works in rosetta so I guess it's fine but haven't got a real ppc mac anymore to try. Haven't made a version with altivec disabled. Hope nobody minds.

Also fixed the OSD font. Fontconfig is now activated unconditionally (seems like it's not forced anymore with -ass) and the font selection has been adapted, too. Hope it works for everyone.

http://files.rubbishchute.net/animes...X_ext-rev4.dmg
hey thanks for the file, have a few questions. Is slow/stuttering seeking on .mkv files normal? nothing bad just a big sluggish, do I need xcode installed to run this properly? and is there some kind of media bar for when fullscreen is enabled? I couldn't find it in the options. Im currently running MBP 10.5.4 2.33 intel Core 2 Duo. (things were so much simple on winxp :P )
Old 2008-08-06, 01:04   Link #778
Hellion314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
I did have that problem with my old build, but the slightly newer one seemed to solve that problem. However, it's probably best to try out anime_layer's new version rather than mine now!
I've tried both builds. It's running through the same problem.
Old 2008-08-06, 05:12   Link #779
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Pandar

In QT/Perian, yes, in MPlayer... how much RAM do you have? No, you don't need to install xcode to play movies, only if you want to compile them. No, MPlayer has no fullscreen controls, largely as it's not 'really' a Mac app, it's a linux app in a Mac wrapper - a mac wrapper that has tended to be written primarily as a wrapper, and not as a pretty mac-like GUI.

@Hellion

I'd be guessing it's actually a problem in MPlayer then, if it works in QT/Perian for you without any problems. All that can be suggested is to either a) try compiling yourself, or b) wait and see if it gets fixed at some point. As a very random shot, purge your .mplayer folder in ~/, uninstall all the mplayer components (app, prefs etc) from your HDD, do a reboot and reinstall, and see what happens there

Oh, and to anime_layer - I'd like to say a big thanks and a bit of a 'wow' as well. It's nice to see that there's still someone working on a nice player for the Mac, with a new GUI - I must admit my time has at dropped to zero, almost, when it comes to watching video at all let alone compiling/etc new versions of the player. Thumbs up.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-08-06, 21:59   Link #780
Pandar

Thanks for the info, I am currently on 2GB ram and I don't really notice the sluggish seeking times anymore after a restart. Just seems like when it seeks the player take a second to speed to that part. I'm just glad with mplayer I don't have to use VLC or QT. Too lazy to run bootcamp just to play videos. Thanks!

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate