AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-30, 22:32   Link #1
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

'Funeral' held for chickens

I was reading the St. Augustine paper yesterday and I wanted to share this article with all of you!

'Funeral' held for chickens killed in bird flu outbreak

TOKYO -- Dressed in a black suit and tie, a man asked the roomful of mourners to bow their heads. For a minute, they stood and faced the brightly lit altar in silence.

On a stage, piled in a pyramid and surrounded by white daisies and lilies sat the dead: dozens of eggs in clear plastic cartons.

Arranged by the Agriculture Ministry and the poultry industry, Wednesday's solemn ceremony at a Tokyo hotel honored hundreds of thousands of chickens slaughtered since a deadly bird flu was discovered here in January.

"We want to express our regret to chickens for having to kill them, while also giving thanks to them for providing us with food," said Hideyuki Shimada, a director at the Japan Poultry Association. "I don't know how chickens feel about it, but humans should show appreciation."

The ceremony was nonreligious, though it featured an altar and flowers commonly found at religious funeral rites in Japan.

Mostly, it demonstrated a quirky side to the Japanese fondness for rituals and marked what poultry producers hope will be a steady recovery in chicken and egg sales.

Since emerging late last year, avian influenza has ravaged flocks across Asia and killed at least 24 people in Vietnam and Thailand.

To stem the disease, authorities destroyed about 100 million chickens, ducks and other birds and temporarily quarantined farmers.

No new infections have been reported for weeks.

Japan's outbreak was its first since 1925. After several poultry farms in western and southern Japan reported cases, the Agriculture Ministry ordered all farms in the area not to move their eggs and chickens and to monitor their flocks. Some 300,000 birds were destroyed.

While no humans fell ill in Japan, the bird flu outbreak spooked consumers and depressed chicken prices and sales. Schools banned poultry in lunches, despite assurances that it was safe to eat properly cooked meat and eggs of infected chickens.

This month, the government pronounced Japan free of bird flu.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 22:37   Link #2
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
that's so... weird, for lack of a better world
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:18   Link #3
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Why am I not surprised to see cammie as the thread starter for this? ::sigh:: So where's the roast chicken BBQ we can host now? Plenty of surplus from that article
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:27   Link #4
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

I think it is rather cool and benevolent that they held such a funeral.
I can't help but feel sorry for the chickens as they were slaughtered by the thousands for something they couldn't help [imagine that happening for humans [wait, it did happen. It was called the Halocaust]].

Wow. I guess the intelligence humans possess is balanced by a healthy sense of paranoia...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:57   Link #5
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Seems kinda weird. The chickens don't get a funeral if they are slaughtered and eaten. But they do get a funeral if they are slaughtered and not eaten....
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:25   Link #6
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
I think it is rather cool and benevolent that they held such a funeral.
I can't help but feel sorry for the chickens as they were slaughtered by the thousands for something they couldn't help [imagine that happening for humans [wait, it did happen. It was called the Halocaust]].

Wow. I guess the intelligence humans possess is balanced by a healthy sense of paranoia...
I agree. It is nice to see human beings feeling regret for having to kill so many innocent chickens just to stop the infection. Though it may seem a little strange to people, I think its really cool that they would go out of their way to show appreciatation for the chickens.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:30   Link #7
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
Seems kinda weird. The chickens don't get a funeral if they are slaughtered and eaten. But they do get a funeral if they are slaughtered and not eaten....
Maybe it has something to do with fulfilling a purpose. The ones that were eaten help complete the whole cycle of life while the ones that were slaughtered were just turned to charcoal w/o fulfilling their purpose. Idk....
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:56   Link #8
RichMan
????

I have no need to feel sorry for chickens. It's part of the food chain. Stronger animals eat weaker animals.

Humans(with assistance of weapons) = Top of Food Chain
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 04:42   Link #9
Palani
///_^

Humans are the the top of the food chain indeed. But does that gives us the right to kill anything that poses a threat to us without regret. I don't think so. Therefore the funeral is good think if you ask me ( I hear people thinking, did I do that?). It makes us stop for a moment and think about what we have done instead of moving on as if ending a lot of lives is nothing. But that's me. Looking forward to your ideas and motivations.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:58   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palani
Humans are the the top of the food chain indeed. But does that gives us the right to kill anything that poses a threat to us without regret. I don't think so. Therefore the funeral is good think if you ask me ( I hear people thinking, did I do that?). It makes us stop for a moment and think about what we have done instead of moving on as if ending a lot of lives is nothing. But that's me. Looking forward to your ideas and motivations.
It definitely does. It is in your interest to kill anything that might harm you if you can. Humans did that in the far past (millions of years ago when they fought to prevail in the harsh environment - you can thank them or else you and me would not live to type in this forum), and they should do this in the future. It would be ridiculous that humans should die just because they show mercy with the chickens, isn't it? It all boils down to assure your survival against threats you can defeat.

On topic: Well, what can I say? I don't understand why they would make a funeral for chickens. As I see the sense of funerals, funerals exist to show the relatives of the deceased that they cared for the deceased.

Now it would be funny if we could read the mind of a chicken who "attends" the funeral:"Oh my, the humans aren't so bad! Sure, they killed my conspecifics, but hey, at least they give them a funeral, go humans!"

So in conclusion: The funeral shows the conflict between our biological needs (survival) and our morals ("innocent chickens").

PS: I'm too lazy to put emoticons in the post, so if there are parts where you might be offended just pretend I put an emoticon there^^

And no, I'm actually a kind hearted person, but I tried to answer this as unemotionally as possible (and without spell/grammar checking too^^) so please refrain from flaming
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 17:27   Link #11
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

When I first read this article I was laughing so hard.... then by reading some of your posts I felt kinda ashame of my first reaction. I really didn't see it that way at first.

I do think the whole funeral ceremony was a bit much in my opinion.
Old 2004-05-01, 18:52   Link #12
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
When I first read this article I was laughing so hard.... then by reading some of your posts I felt kinda ashame of my first reaction. I really didn't see it that way at first.

I do think the whole funeral ceremony was a bit much in my opinion.
**hint hint**

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...763#post183763

i think this belongs here.

only in japan

... ... i think it is rather touching that they would acknowledge the unnecessary deaths of so many chickens
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 20:42   Link #13
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
**hint hint**

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...763#post183763

i think this belongs here.

only in japan

... ... i think it is rather touching that they would acknowledge the unnecessary deaths of so many chickens
gomen...

If that the case... can a mod kindly move this thread there? thanks