Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-12, 02:48   Link #861
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Just Ragna Blade is more than enough - spells that borrow power from LoN destroy everything, magic immunity or not. If Xellos wasn't that fast with his teleportation he would've been defeated too.
Gaav tanked it, and Ozel might still be "alive" as well.
Old 2008-09-12, 06:33   Link #862
sandy0212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Wow, they actually got Takehito Koyasu to portray Rezo again. I was doubtful if they'd give him any lines at all during the flashback, but they surprised me. Kind of saved the entire scene if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's just what i said.
But yeah i'm still surprised they got Koyasu back for the role.
I'm surprised about Rezo's presence,didn't he die in the first series of Slayers?I don't remember whether he appeared in Next or Try.
Old 2008-09-12, 07:48   Link #863
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well should still be able to manage somehow. If the replica can amplify spells and they toss in a Ragna Blade it might work. I'd say the sword itself might be enough, but as we know the legend completely didn't help them in the season 1 encounter . Just need to approach it correctly.
And if all else fails, Xellos can help out.

In fact, I am almost certain he would help in some way. It just wouldn't be help that is overt. And as usual, it would be because he needed Lina alive for his secret goal of the season.
Old 2008-09-14, 02:01   Link #864
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And if all else fails, Xellos can help out.

In fact, I am almost certain he would help in some way. It just wouldn't be help that is overt. And as usual, it would be because he needed Lina alive for his secret goal of the season.
Xellos shouldn't be able to help them. Zanaffar armor was developed by the elves as anti-mazoku weapon. The finished armor is even more lethal to mazoku since one of it's abilities is to cut them off from the astral plane.
Old 2008-09-14, 06:35   Link #865
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamion View Post
Martina was such an awesome character. Compared to that Filia sucked.
I actually think the complete opposite!

Should be interesting to see how they end up defeating Zanaffar. Sylphiel next week - wonder what kind of role she's going to get?
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-09-14, 09:01   Link #866
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graus View Post
Xellos shouldn't be able to help them. Zanaffar armor was developed by the elves as anti-mazoku weapon. The finished armor is even more lethal to mazoku since one of it's abilities is to cut them off from the astral plane.
But that's why I say Xellos would help out without being overt; he isn't going to join the fight directly, but he wouldn't mind making sure Lina wins either.

Yes, Xellos is powerful, but that's not what makes him dangerous.
Old 2008-09-14, 10:36   Link #867
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
But that's why I say Xellos would help out without being overt; he isn't going to join the fight directly, but he wouldn't mind making sure Lina wins either.

Yes, Xellos is powerful, but that's not what makes him dangerous.
Yeah if Xellos is going to help he'll likely do it subtly. Unless the situation absolutely requires him to step out in person he'll stay back. His actions really will just depend on what his orders originally were.

Well a lot of things make him dangerous, but him being extremely powerful is one of them .
Old 2008-09-14, 10:57   Link #868
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

xellos + pop corn = awesome
Old 2008-09-14, 21:22   Link #869
GDB

About the Blessed Blade being used on Zanaffar again... I figured it kind of got obliterated by Hellmaster Phibrizzo when he did whatever it was he did to Flaguun.

Spoiler for Episode 11:

So, here's my question, based off of what I've heard from the novels:
Spoiler for Possible episode 12/13 and novel spoilers?:
Old 2008-09-14, 22:29   Link #870
Wesley84

Dynast. No one better.
Old 2008-09-17, 05:51   Link #871
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Man, watching Zanaffar and all, I'm pretty disappointed in the animation staff for this one. They didn't capture the tension of a WORLD DESTROYING monster this time. With Gaav, Valgaav, Shabranigdo, Rezo and other villains in the first three TV series, it always was a very dire situation and the battles showed it. This time, there is basically none of that gravitas that made the end battle worth watching (that said, this series of episodes' Zanaffar might not be the true end boss. It might be in the next season), but boy am I disappointed with JC Staff in this one.

Frankly, the last time I truly got excited over a fantasy anime was with Tower of Druaga. That show had a lot of direness with the right amount of cute comedy. Can't say the same for Revolution.. I mean where is the threat? The seriousness? It's like the staff forgot that the deadly serious moments MADE Slayers as great as it was. Even the comedy was way off mark by archetyping Lina's crew a bit too much. They didn't get to expand on their old history much, if at all.
Old 2008-09-17, 06:44   Link #872
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's nice to see Sylphiel in the preview for episode 12, though it's a shame she couldn't have entered the series a little bit earlier. I've missed her.

& i just love how they used Rezo's BGM from the first series yet again.
Old 2008-09-17, 07:42   Link #873
X10A_Freedom

I re-watched Haruhi today and noticed a Slayers reference. Quite surprised as the Slayers were pretty much gathering dust when SHnY was produced.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hi_slayers.jpg
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2008-09-17, 10:04   Link #874
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
I re-watched Haruhi today and noticed a Slayers reference. Quite surprised as the Slayers were pretty much gathering dust when SHnY was produced.
I don't believe that. That's a shop. Has to be.

Or I really want those cards.
Old 2008-09-17, 13:52   Link #875
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Actually that is a card game called Dragon All Stars.

link

Old 2008-09-17, 17:00   Link #876
Wesley84

Are they trying to retcon things? Gourry's descended from the hero that defeated Zanaffar in old Sairaig, and even if his memory is bad, everyone else should remember quite clearly what Copy Rezo could do, which was far more destructive than what this version has pulled off.

Anyone else cringe when they used L-sama's theme for Zanafubar'd's grand entrance?

It's like a thumb in the eye of old fans...
Old 2008-09-17, 18:15   Link #877
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Man, watching Zanaffar and all, I'm pretty disappointed in the animation staff for this one. They didn't capture the tension of a WORLD DESTROYING monster this time. With Gaav, Valgaav, Shabranigdo, Rezo and other villains in the first three TV series, it always was a very dire situation and the battles showed it. This time, there is basically none of that gravitas that made the end battle worth watching (that said, this series of episodes' Zanaffar might not be the true end boss. It might be in the next season), but boy am I disappointed with JC Staff in this one.

Frankly, the last time I truly got excited over a fantasy anime was with Tower of Druaga. That show had a lot of direness with the right amount of cute comedy. Can't say the same for Revolution.. I mean where is the threat? The seriousness? It's like the staff forgot that the deadly serious moments MADE Slayers as great as it was. Even the comedy was way off mark by archetyping Lina's crew a bit too much. They didn't get to expand on their old history much, if at all.
Have to agree with you completely on this one. The feel of world in danger creature just wasn't here. Didn't feel as threatening as some of the previous major enemies. They just tossed some spells at it and then it left. Never really felt like they were in any danger even though spells were not working on it.

Only thing they've done is step up the spell's appearances. Having just re-watched the series before they started Revolution the difference in quality is pretty evident. The important thing in Slayers was the great mix of comedy and real danger. When they ran into a Rezo or something similar you could tell they were in real trouble and close to biting it. Even the comedy hasn't felt right either. Like they are just missing it. Not to mention making characters like Zel and Amelia feel tossed in just for the sake of the fans of those characters.

Maybe they will pull it together in the end but right now its not looking like it.

Oh and something related to episode 11. The Pokota being stopped as he left felt like they were copying a bit what Zel did in season one. Trying to go off on his own to fight Shabranigdo.
Old 2008-09-17, 18:39   Link #878
Wesley84

I especially loved how they introduced a flashback...and then kept using that flashback over and over and over again.

I mean...dammit I really wish they didn't use L-sama's track for Zanafubar. It's such a nostaglic, epic theme for me. Phibrizzo was totally losing it, the way L-sama just stood there speaking with that crazy voice of Her's mixed with Lina's, and the complete futility of everything Phibrizzo said or did...

I guess just an aside disappointment was how Lina and company took a complete backseat in this episode. You might complain about Filia upstaging Lina and everyone during certain episodes of Try, but she was actually a good character, and managed to make her own unique contribution in ability and style.

And what happened to Amelia's and Zel's Double Whammy Ra Tilt?
Old 2008-09-17, 18:53   Link #879
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I especially loved how they introduced a flashback...and then kept using that flashback over and over and over again.

I mean...dammit I really wish they didn't use L-sama's track for Zanafubar. It's such a nostaglic, epic theme for me. Phibrizzo was totally losing it, the way L-sama just stood there speaking with that crazy voice of Her's mixed with Lina's, and the complete futility of everything Phibrizzo said or did...

I guess just an aside disappointment was how Lina and company took a complete backseat in this episode. You might complain about Filia upstaging Lina and everyone during certain episodes of Try, but she was actually a good character, and managed to make her own unique contribution in ability and style.

And what happened to Amelia's and Zel's Double Whammy Ra Tilt?
Yeah just keep spamming the flashback. I think it hurts that Pokota isn't as good an original character as some they have put in. Keep thinking he should just give the sword of light to Gourry and go away . It does hurt when they use some of those epic soundtracks on scenes that just don't come close to feeling the same way. All it does is remind you how far its fallen short this season.

Honestly considering they almost got killed the first time they went up against something like this they were taking it easy. I mean throwing Flare Arrows at it ? At least go for the double Ra-Tilt, though maybe they don't remember the chant for it.
Old 2008-09-17, 19:04   Link #880
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah just keep spamming the flashback. I think it hurts that Pokota isn't as good an original character as some they have put in. Keep thinking he should just give the sword of light to Gourry and go away . It does hurt when they use some of those epic soundtracks on scenes that just don't come close to feeling the same way. All it does is remind you how far its fallen short this season.

Honestly considering they almost got killed the first time they went up against something like this they were taking it easy. I mean throwing Flare Arrows at it ? At least go for the double Ra-Tilt, though maybe they don't remember the chant for it.
I think Zel chanted Ra Tilt just the one time against Shabringado, and they never did it again. Just like how Lina used to chant "Source of all power..." for even basic Shaman spells, but dropped that at some point in the first series. After she electrocuted herself that one time, me thinks.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, fantasy