AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-05-09, 21:42   Link #361
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta
Such as the line at 11:40:
anbu&aone's
"This pain does not differ from one created via an illusion, though."
compared to
s-o's
"Your spirit doesn't understand that this isn't reality."

IMO, the 2nd one sounded much better and fluent than the first, and the tone sounded just right. Sometimes tone and wording are important, not just the accuracy of the words.
I'm sure Khar will love you for that post and kiss you all over, she worked on that part for ages to make sure it sounded as good as possible - she obviously liked that part :P While anbu-aone's truly is closer to the original japanese, imho Khar's work sounds a lot better. Though of course, I'm biased like crap ^_~x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa27
Now I gotta admit Itachi gets his orders from a higher person or so it seems.
We can then say this person must be stronger than Itachi himself.
Actually he might just be smarter. This is probably not the case due to this being anime, but imho I don't really see a reason as to why the leader should always be the strongest. For example, Dr Wily in the Megaman/Rockman series is by far not the strongest fighter, yet he is the villain because he's very intelligent.
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 21:55   Link #362
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Well it was never said in the manga that there is a big chief in the Akatsuki in the first place.
The Akatsuki is composed of only 9 members, the decisions can be collegial.

There might be people at a higher echelon than Itachi in the Akatsuki, but that doesn't mean that they're stronger.

Oro was one of the important member of the Akatsuki, but he admitted that he couldn't beat Itachi and that he left the Akatsuki because of this fact.
If there was someone really stronger than Itachi in the Akatsuki why didn't Oro leave before?

Itachi's young, he has only 17 years old, he's probably the newest and youngest member of this organization.
It's rather normal that he's not the head.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:07   Link #363
wnkryo
HainShodan

Whether you guys realize it or not, you are giving away spoilers -.-
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:09   Link #364
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Hopefully I didn't.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:27   Link #365
knubbe

Something confusing/interesting I got from the Anbu sub. Kakashi says "His eyes are still the same as before" which implies that Itachi's Sharingan may not be fully developed yet.
knubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:35   Link #366
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
i think it's actually the opposite, his sharingans are mastered. That's why he said something like 'that's why he's the heir to the uchiha'.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:46   Link #367
knubbe

It seemed to me that he was implying that he expected Itachi's eyes to have changed since he left, but he knew not to underestimate him since he was an Uchiha.

Strange, because the manga translations I've seen and SO's subs didn't leave this confusion.
knubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 23:05   Link #368
A Lamer
あほぉ&

I'm too lazy to read through 19 pages of "OMG WHEN WILL IT COME!" posts, so I'll post this incase it hasnt been before:

For those of you having trouble with the video of ANBU&AonE ep 82, download the latest version of fddshow alpha from sourceforge (too lazy to get a link) It solved all of the problems mentioned previously, and you dont have to download some player you'll never use for anything else.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 23:24   Link #369
darashinaionna

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
I'm too lazy to read through 19 pages of "OMG WHEN WILL IT COME!" posts, so I'll post this incase it hasnt been before:

For those of you having trouble with the video of ANBU&AonE ep 82, download the latest version of fddshow alpha from sourceforge (too lazy to get a link) It solved all of the problems mentioned previously, and you dont have to download some player you'll never use for anything else.
Thanks.....
darashinaionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 23:46   Link #370
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Actually, the absolute majority of our posts could very well be posted after 81, and that's not counted as spoilers is it? *hides*
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 00:02   Link #371
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd
Actually, the absolute majority of our posts could very well be posted after 81, and that's not counted as spoilers is it? *hides*
Just as long as you keep in mind the ppl who dont get your version or ppl with (yuck) dialup connections obviously are not going to get it as fast as others, so just continue to use spoiler tags please. Thanks. Oh and by the way i get your version and its cool *thumbs up*
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 00:02   Link #372
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Originally Posted by knubbe
Something confusing/interesting I got from the Anbu sub. Kakashi says "His eyes are still the same as before" which implies that Itachi's Sharingan may not be fully developed yet.
I think Kakashi was referring to the look in his eyes, not his sharingan; Itachi still has cold blooded, remorseless eyes.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi_shay
Just as long as you keep in mind the ppl who dont get your version or ppl with (yuck) dialup connections obviously are not going to get it as fast as others, so just continue to use spoiler tags please. Thanks. Oh and by the way i get your version and its cool *thumbs up*
Those peopel shouldnt be reading the episode discussion thread really. Posting about what happens in the episode is fine, no spoiler tags are required (so long as you follow the rules in the lead post).
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 02:07   Link #373
Khar
Shin-Otaku Editor

Send a message via AIM to Khar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta
Just watched both versions, and there are many dialogues that are different in the 2 fansubs. I don't know Japanese, so obviously I can't tell who did wrong here, but I'm astonished by the difference. However, I think S-O's sub, accuracy aside is pretty fluent, while anbu&aone gives this odd feeling when I read the subs (probably with its overdone formality in some areas).

Such as the line at 11:40:
anbu&aone's
"This pain does not differ from one created via an illusion, though."
compared to
s-o's
"Your spirit doesn't understand that this isn't reality."

IMO, the 2nd one sounded much better and fluent than the first, and the tone sounded just right. Sometimes tone and wording are important, not just the accuracy of the words.
Yeah, thank you for noticing that. I've gotta say I agree with you, and duh, of course I'm biased, I was the one that edited the damn thing... but it seems to me that sometimes anime is subbed far too literally. I try to take it a step beyond just literal formal engrish, and help watchers actually feel as though they're inside the show, meaning things sound natural in English, and natural for the characters themselves. While conveying the same meaning, of course.

And yeah, that part was fun. :P I think I even mentioned that in here, lol.

As for the rest of stuff flying around here... maybe it'd help to realize that we (us, and anbu/aone) will most likely NEVER have the exact same subtitles. It's almost as though that's what you're expecting. It isn't gonna happen though. Our subtitles hopefully will convey the same meaning, plot, etc., but they will be edited quite differently most likely, especially with me as S-O's editor. So try to keep an open mind. Realize we're not going to ever be clones of each other, and maybe even try to appreciate us for what we may be doing differently. Mind you, I'm speaking in an editing-sense way here.
Khar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 02:12   Link #374
Gai-Kakashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer

Could you please post a link? Watching ANBU 82 avi file with windows media player shows all kinds of distortions that I've never seen before. Blocky, pixlated junk shows up whenever it changes camera angles. This has never happened before with any other file. Do I need this update you mention? Or is just a glitch in the file that will be fixed later?
Gai-Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 02:44   Link #375
Technovia_EX
o[-_-]o

Blue beast...Mite Gai... A/A's version was a little weird for me this time around. I liked S-O's translation somewhere around there a bit better, IMO. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but at least it sounded better.
Technovia_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 03:15   Link #376
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technovia_EX
Blue beast...Mite Gai... A/A's version was a little weird for me this time around. I liked S-O's translation somewhere around there a bit better, IMO. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but at least it sounded better.
yeah... I agree, i'm pretty damn happy with S-O's translations, so what if they made a few spelling mistakes and stuff, at least they know they made them.

another thing, is this just me or do Anbu/Aone subs change from blue to green/green to blue sometimes during the middle of a line!? what's that all about then?
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 03:40   Link #377
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoji
another thing, is this just me or do Anbu/Aone subs change from blue to green/green to blue sometimes during the middle of a line!? what's that all about then?
Its when someone moves off screen while they're talking.

Cant say I much liked S-O's job this time around, not sure what it was, just didnt sit well with me (Jiraiya's mention of Akatsuki to Kakashi was missing too), no offense. I think I'll just stick with ANBU/AonE from now on.
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 03:45   Link #378
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd
. More than once I have read the term "mange", so when I stumbled upon "mangekyou" in 82 I thought "oh, there it came" (and I was happy btw because this was the last spoiler I had ever read that had yet to come in the anime). I was surprised that I didn't hear the same thing as all these manga readers has been saying, so I (not being the most fluent person in the japanese language) thought that "kyou" might be some weird grammar stuff that I somehow had missed throughout all these years... so I blamed myself for me not noticing an important part of grammar and did my best to translate the sentance even though I didn't know that part of grammar.

Of course, in the end it's obvious I did know all the grammar needed, I had just related what I heard to someone spoiling incorrectly (or maybe I have misread something) and I didn't believe in myself. This is a fine example of when bad self esteem can make your self esteem even worse, I guess. Had I trusted myself and my own judgement more, you would all have read this term properly translated. I apologize for this, especially since this isn't the first time this has happened (me second guessing myself and thus translating wrong) - from this point on I'll question everything thrown my way more and not just be the submissive kind of person I am, at least when it comes to translating, heh heh.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you ARE the shin-otaku translator, are you not? It's all good and nice that you've taken responsibility for the mistranslation and I know you won't make a similar mistake in future, but as a person who has taken it upon himself to translate, I don't see how "I read it somewhere, I didn't know," is a valid excuse. Next time you come across a bit that you don't know, please try and find out, it could be vital. Anyway, we'll say no more of this, just keep on improving.
Old 2004-05-10, 04:01   Link #379
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-Kakashi
Could you please post a link? Watching ANBU 82 avi file with windows media player shows all kinds of distortions that I've never seen before. Blocky, pixlated junk shows up whenever it changes camera angles. This has never happened before with any other file. Do I need this update you mention? Or is just a glitch in the file that will be fixed later?
Bah, playback help, one of the stickies. MOVE YOUR OWN ASS
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 04:18   Link #380
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
No. Itachi isn't an original member of the Akatsuki. As implied by Orochimaru in episode 81, he said he "left the organization when he (Itachi) entered it", meaning that Itachi entered later.
I don't recall how this was ever "implied;" Oro merely said he left because Itachi is stronger than him. Couldn't they both have been in the organization until some sort of confrontation took place...after which Oro ran with his tail between his legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
The Akatsuki works like the Shichibukai in One Piece. There's 9 members, and there ever will be, unless they change any "rule" of the organization. Whenever a member leave the organization or die, he will be substituted. When Itachi entered, Orochimaru left; leaving an open place to Itachi. So Orochimaru isn't in that picture, since he left the organization long ago; and the picture is the current Akatsuki (since Kisame and Itachi are in it).
No. Although your theory is plausible, what Jiraiya said about Akatsuki did not imply that at all. Jiraiya's reference to Akatsuki's nine-members and that picture is before he told Kakashi about Oro's recent departure and therefore included Oro as well. It was after Oro left that the [eight] remaining members split up nicely into pairs.

On a side note...Oro left Akatsuki "recently" according to Jiraiya. I personally don't think the "recently" was enough time for him to start a village, plant spies, train/brainwash minions, etc, so Oro most likely started the Sound Village before he joined Akatsuki (although it is possible that he created the Sound during his membership...I believe otherwise). Under that impression, I believe as Oro was nurturing his Sound Village from scratch and waiting before it could serve his purpose in the future, he attempted to continue his pursuit of power in the present with capable comrades as a side-job but eventually couldn't stand working as an equal member of the team. The guy then had an power-trip and tried to take over as the leader of the group but instead got his butt handed to by Itachi (otherwise why would the mighty prodigy Orochimaru of the Sannins think so highly of Itachi? poor fella probably experienced Tsukiyomi first-hand). So then, ego bruised, Oro left the group and ran back to the Sound Village where he was the undisputed king to fulfill his ambitions on his own.

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-05-10 at 04:28.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote