AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-05-17, 01:44   Link #21
Iron Monkey

Well, this isn't an SNES game, but I always thought Super Smash Brothers was way overrated. I didn't think the game was fun at all. There was just too much happening on the screen for me to enjoy it. Well, and the fact that I sucked at it didn't help either, I guess. But I had a tough time grasping at how to properly control the characters. Seemed to me like you just mash some buttons. Give me Capcom fighting games anyday.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 02:43   Link #22
RichMan
????

No, actually SSB and SSB Melee, were made so you didn't have to mash. The buttons are SO easy that a small child could figure them out. Like using Pikachu for example: You press B(thunder-jolt), you press down + B (thunder), blah blah blah etc. but this isn't just a cutsy easy fighting game we're talking about. Actually there is a side that actually makes it hardcore and for the mature. Such as wave-dashing, and using various speedy techniques and juggling. There are so many websites online that talk about this. Let's see you do any characters "Break the Targets" level in less than 5 seconds! or even launch the punching bag over 2000feet in the Home Run Contest. It just looks like a kids games, but in reality there's alot of hardcore stuff in this game.

I'd say that Soul Calibur is a game that is more masher-friendly. I'm not saying it's overrated because it's still a great game.

Overated games. probably Final Fantasy X and X-2. Those games sucked. The story, and the characters especially sucked.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 05:14   Link #23
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
No, actually SSB and SSB Melee, were made so you didn't have to mash. The buttons are SO easy that a small child could figure them out. Like using Pikachu for example: You press B(thunder-jolt), you press down + B (thunder), blah blah blah etc. but this isn't just a cutsy easy fighting game we're talking about. Actually there is a side that actually makes it hardcore and for the mature. Such as wave-dashing, and using various speedy techniques and juggling. There are so many websites online that talk about this. Let's see you do any characters "Break the Targets" level in less than 5 seconds! or even launch the punching bag over 2000feet in the Home Run Contest. It just looks like a kids games, but in reality there's alot of hardcore stuff in this game.

I'd say that Soul Calibur is a game that is more masher-friendly. I'm not saying it's overrated because it's still a great game.

Overated games. probably Final Fantasy X and X-2. Those games sucked. The story, and the characters especially sucked.
See, that's where you and I differ. I thought FF X and X-2 were actually really good, and SMB sucked. But then again, maybe I have weird tastes. I always thought FF8 was one of the best Final Fantasy's out, but apparently, not everyone thought so as well.
Old 2004-05-17, 21:58   Link #24
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Obviously opinions matter here, as one's opinion of one game is different from another. To say one game is overrated and another one is not, is strictly opinion. I for one am i huge metroid fan, you cannot have more depth into a game such as that, but again *my* opinion. As for zelda, loved the game, but then again, its story was never the strong point now was it? As for diablo, it to has a weak story, but does that make it a poor game? Some beg to differ on that. Furthermore, I never noticed Super Metroid being so 'overrated' rather more 'underrated', not many people knew about it.

I say we turn this thread into 'overrated' game thread and leave the other 2 games rest.

Overrated games:
ANY SPORTS GAME: can't be any more boring, and i love sports, odd isn't it.

and the grand daddy of them all

FINAL FANTAST VII (7) Liked the game, but get over it, game wasn't gods gift to gamers.........super metroid owned that game

Btw, don't compare games of different ages and genres to something else uncomparable, makes the comparison stupid. *example* Zelda64 is so much better then zelda1, the graphix rulez!!!!! get real people -_-
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:05   Link #25
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
I was never too keen on Super Mario World. I guess since it's the first Mario on SNES it has a certain coolness, but I thought gameplay-wise it was less than awesome and a big step down from Super Mario 3, which is and probably will always be the best Mario game ever.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 22:08   Link #26
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
I was never too keen on Super Mario World. I guess since it's the first Mario on SNES it has a certain coolness, but I thought gameplay-wise it was less than awesome and a big step down from Super Mario 3, which is and probably will always be the best Mario game ever.
Thought i was the only one, wasn't too fond of that game either, didn't 'feel' like an SMB game much. But it was enjoyable while it lasted.
Old 2004-05-18, 03:34   Link #27
Iron Monkey

Any FPS game. But then again, I hate FPS games, so I think I'm in the minority. I'm always hearing how good Halo is, or how people can't wait for the new Doom game.
Old 2004-05-18, 08:35   Link #28
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
I didn't have alot of money growing up so I was VERY picky when it came to choosing games to buy for my SNES. Thus, I'd have to say none of the games I've ever bought (and I bought all the popular ones ~ Zelda, metroid, mario, FFIII) were overrated. I enjoyed all of them and they occupy a very special place in my gaming heart.

The only game that I think is slightly overrated is Mario Kart. I didn't play that until AFTER i played Mario Kart64 and I loved the N64 version but people tell me that the first game from SNES was much better. Never really fully understood that. It's still a great game and I think it's unfair to compare it to a N64 game so that's why it's only slightly overrated...

Apart from that, every other game I played was GREAT:
The Legend of Zelda: LTTP
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy III
Actraiser (wish they made a sequel close to the first one.. i didn't like Actraiser 2)
Killer Instinct
Street Fighter II (i played this game to death)
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 09:23   Link #29
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
yeah, but Super Mario World takes hours to beat. I could beat Super Mario 3 in less than 30 minutes (with the flutes, of course) LOL.

Plus...

Cape > Racoon
Old 2004-05-18, 10:02   Link #30
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Any FPS game. But then again, I hate FPS games, so I think I'm in the minority. I'm always hearing how good Halo is, or how people can't wait for the new Doom game.
I know a few...
Doom (1993)
Wolf 3D (1996) I think?
Duke Nukem 3D (1996)
Shadow Warrior (1997)

BTW, why do you hate FPS so much...?
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 22:50   Link #31
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
I know a few...
Doom (1993)
Wolf 3D (1996) I think?
Duke Nukem 3D (1996)
Shadow Warrior (1997)

BTW, why do you hate FPS so much...?
I dunno, they're just not my cup of tea. I'm not knocking on anyone who enjoys FPS, as I can tell by it's popularity that a lot of people love those games.
Old 2004-05-19, 00:15   Link #32
mah_damey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero

FINAL FANTAST VII (7) Liked the game, but get over it, game wasn't gods gift to gamers.........super metroid owned that game

Btw, don't compare games of different ages and genres to something else uncomparable, makes the comparison stupid. *example* Zelda64 is so much better then zelda1, the graphix rulez!!!!! get real people -_-
... 1 scratched copy of FF7 > all super metroids ever created
n i dont think anyone one sed nething bout comparing games of diff ages
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-19, 11:31   Link #33
Dark Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah_damey
... 1 scratched copy of FF7 > all super metroids ever created
n i dont think anyone one sed nething bout comparing games of diff ages
Apparently you can't don't know a joke when you see one. Regardless FF7 is too overrated, my case closed. And my statement of comparing games with old ones was just something I see going on, didn't say it was said in this thread. I like metroid, some don't simple as that, I liked FF7 also, if you didn't read that part -_-, metroid was a great game in its own right and ff7 likewise. But I used that comparison as a joke, leave it at that.
Old 2004-05-19, 11:52   Link #34
RichMan
????

Dark Zero, back when FF7 came out in 1997 it had the best graphics. The story was great, the music was great, and we all loved Cloud and Sephiroth(that's why they appeared in more games, like: Ehrgeiz, FFT(Cloud), Kingdom Hearts.) and heck, they even made a FF7 movie! Advent Children. I wouldn't say it's overhyped. I'd just say it's really popular and almost everyone loves that game.

Now come on, how many people, or how many gaming shows(like on G4 or TechTV) do you think talk about Metroid more than Final Fantasy VII?(or the whole Final Fantasy series, in general)
Old 2004-05-19, 12:00   Link #35
Dark Zero

Quote:
Dark Zero, back when FF7 came out in 1997 it had the best graphics. The story was great, the music was great, and we all loved Cloud and Sephiroth(that's why they appeared in more games, like: Ehrgeiz, FFT(Cloud), Kingdom Hearts.) and heck, they even made a FF7 movie! Advent Children. I wouldn't say it's overhyped. I'd just say it's really popular and almost everyone loves that game.

Now come on, how many people, or how many gaming shows(like on G4 or TechTV) do you think talk about Metroid more than Final Fantasy VII?(or the whole Final Fantasy series, in general)
For a person that just said taht ffx and x-2 were overrated uptop, I wouldn't speak. I hardly seen X-2 be so hyped, and ffx well, same applies, its the first FF game that made it to the new console, thus it has better GFX and such, same reasoning behind ff7. Again, just cuz they mention it so much don't make it better, its easily marketing to sell. I'm not here to justify metroid or anything else, never was the case, I have my opinions you guys have yours, is it THAT hard to understand? So I'll say this, FF7 isn't overrated cuz so many things say this and that for it (yes OVERRATED, great game, but OVERRATED, or I'll use your term, OVERHYPED) but the super metroid gets 'best game' award by some gaming group it makes it not so? Not saying it is, just stating its all opinions. Let this rest.......
Old 2004-05-24, 10:43   Link #36
Aquillion

Quote:

I didn't like Sephiroth. I thought he was bland and uncompelling as a villian, as well as totally random and unconnected with the game up until that point. I liked it a lot more before he was introduced. In fact, IMHO the point when he became the main focus of FF7 was the exact moment when the FF games started to go downhill.

And the fact that so many shows talk about FF7 would be part of the proof that it's overrated. Nobody's saying it's a completely bad game; but if a game is very, very highly rated (especially by people like TechTV who've probably only played a small subset of the genre) than of course that's an indicator that it may be overrated.

Likewise, the most overrated SNES game is probably one of the more popular and well-known Squaresoft RPGs, such as FF3/6 or Chrono Trigger--not that they're not decent games, mind you, but they get more praise than any game could earn, and there were many other equally good RPGs made around the same time which don't attract any attention at all.

Of course, many of those RPGs are lesser-known because they weren't released in the US at the time (Live-A-Live, Shin Megami Tensei, Terranigma), but there were also many good ones released for various consoles (Phantasy Star 4, the original release of the two Lunar games) not to mention a variety of good RPGs for the PC (Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima Underworld).
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 19:09   Link #37
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Zelda 3:LttP really was a great game when it came out: amazing graphics and good gameply made it very enjoyable. I can't remember how often I played it...
Seiken Densetsu 2 (LoM) was admittedly a nice game, but with some clear flaws, so I never bothered finishing it back then... it's successor, however, was absolutely awesome! Fantastic graphics, loveable characters and an interesting storyline which changes depending on who you had in the party.
Another great game was Chrono Trigger, which I really like a lot as well.
FFVI had some amazing game details, but also had a few flaws, especially later in the Ruin world. The arena was great, though.
Never liked Super Metroid too much, I was more of an Rpg type.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 19:17   Link #38
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I'm probably one of the few people in the world that thinks Chrono Trigger was over rated.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 19:58   Link #39
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
How often do you hear either of those say Metroid is doing new innovative things vs Final Fantasy? They took a big risk and a new direction for Metroid when it went to Gamecube, Final Fantasy (X and X-2 were both great though i've only played a demo of X-2) while both great were nothing really that new going all the way back to FF VII with the only difference being that orb sheet thing. In fact X actually felt more restrictive than previous games by getting rid of the world map which made the storyline way too linear. How you learn magic and abilities seems to be the only real changes ever made to the Final Fantasy "system". Besides any real final fantasy fan knows that FF VI owns all other FF's

I can think of quite a few games I bought for hype and ended up being disappointed in.

Donkey Kong Country: Great soundtrack and I love Donkey Kong but his game sucked and got really repetitive. Possibly one of the few games i ownded on the system that i didn't bother to beat.

Mortal Kombats (all of them...): I honestly can't remember being ever really excited about these games...ooh fatalities...yah...yawn...I think I played and enjoyed the Street Fighter and Samurai Showdowns alot more.

Mario Kart: I liked this game but it was overhyped especially after the N64 one came out and people started claiming the original was better. The N64 game was one of my favorites on that console while the original on SNES was just okay.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 01:35   Link #40
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero
For a person that just said taht ffx and x-2 were overrated uptop, I wouldn't speak. I hardly seen X-2 be so hyped, and ffx well, same applies, its the first FF game that made it to the new console, thus it has better GFX and such, same reasoning behind ff7. Again, just cuz they mention it so much don't make it better, its easily marketing to sell. I'm not here to justify metroid or anything else, never was the case, I have my opinions you guys have yours, is it THAT hard to understand? So I'll say this, FF7 isn't overrated cuz so many things say this and that for it (yes OVERRATED, great game, but OVERRATED, or I'll use your term, OVERHYPED) but the super metroid gets 'best game' award by some gaming group it makes it not so? Not saying it is, just stating its all opinions. Let this rest.......
You are t3h winnar. I believe FF7 is way too fucking overrated. Its a great game, but *not* that great. I mean I still can't believe FF8 got overshadowed by FF7, when FF8 graphically, sound and story wise (story imo) were just done way the hell better and more clean cut then FF7.

Quote:
You actually think they know what they're talking about? G4, Tech TV and EGM are basically the MTV of the gaming world. They know FF, or Mario, Sonic or whatever gaming icon is extremely popular and will please their fans by saying good things about it, even if its horrible. Hell some companies (*coughRockstarcough*) only give out pre-released games to mags as long as they promise to give the game good reviews. I believe this was the case with GTA:VC.

If you really consider yourself a gamer, try to get your hands on a few GameNOW/EGM2 issues. GameNOW is no longer being published due to the fact that they went their own way, and knew what they were talking about. But they're the only magazine to give a different light to certain games without "selling out" to the masses.

The only thing on Tech TV worth watching for game reviews is Judgement Day, I agree with 90% of their shit.

But like everyone else, its just my opinion.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote