Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-02-04, 06:01   Link #3401
Levy
differently sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Eh, screw their poll. We'll have our own poll and it'll have blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the poll.
I sign this! Expecially the part about blackjack and so on...=P

No really, I bet whatever you want that the 90% of Suzaku hate is because of the aforementioned reason: opposing Lelouch. He was pretty bad-written in R2, but as the character as a whole, I don't see anything THIS bad in him.

If i had to say, worst written character in CG, it'd be surely Marianne. Also V.V. was used pretty badly, compared to how important was his role in triggering the events that lead to the actuall plot. Shota fanservice? XD

Gino could list as an useless add, but is not that unlikeable either...

the other series IDK, I haven't watched any of those... ° °
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 06:19   Link #3402
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
I am sorry I have to tell you this Frost. But Gino did have a purpose.

Spoiler:

BTW what's this poll ? Cause well, Suzaku disappointed me a few times (Turn 5 R2 ...) but to be the worse character ever -_-''...Marianne should won over him and a bunch of people in the serie.
Ah well...Suzaku was Lelouch's enemy so of course...
lol
Did you make that pic on your own? |DD;;

Well, he got another purpose though::

Spoiler for spoiler for Gino's purpose number 2:

Seriously though, i think that Gino had a tiny ball to play on the character-field in R2, compared to other characters, woo-hoo. It is just he did not have any huge {none} effect/impact on someone, so that he could at least be considered semi-important character.
Then again so many called important characters {see Marianne} had zero development as well {or more like alien-development} so yeah. I think a lot of charas got into the weird-chara elevator in R2. :x

Last edited by Hellychan; 2009-02-04 at 13:31. Reason: http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_rules_1_2
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 06:29   Link #3403
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
And you all wonder why I'm so uptight.

Well, not that Rolo, Mao or Nina were particularly likeable characters in the first place. Nina's a semi-psychotic bigot. Mao is a completely psychotic mind-raper. And Rolo...well, you could probably write a book on the things that are wrong with Rolo. And one thing these three all have in common is that they're obsessed with someone (seems to be a trend).

Even so, I actually liked Mao because he was pretty badass at what he did, and he was one of the few people to pwn Lelouch (if only for a little while). And, as strange as it may sound, I think I could like Rolo and sympathize with him because of his desire to be loved, to protect Lelouch, and for his own independence. If he could just get a moral compass (killing is WRONG Rolo!) and apologize for killing Shirley I think I'd be set.
Yeah.

Plus, for me, there was the Nunnally factor, in that Rolo was not only her replacement in everyone else's mind, but also that he actually wanted Lelouch to forget about her existence so he could be his only sibling. If Lelouch only knew that was why Rolo murdered Shirley...
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 07:33   Link #3404
Charred Knight

Didn't Taniguchi or Okouchi say that Gino's sole purpose was to be friends with Suzaku so he could have some friends.

Oh and if theirs a worse character poll than I vote Marianne.

That was as bad as David Arquette plot from WCW.

Suzaku: IT'S THE ULTIMATE SWERVE
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 08:20   Link #3405
Levy
differently sober

Marianne was at the very same time, too much and nothing.

Her character is a pile of contraddicting elements that left you quite clueless at the person she might have been.
She was probably a loving mother and a loving wife, she was surely a very admirable and skilled soldier, she was a source of inspiration for people around her, and an utopist, it seems...

...but her cameback, it shatters all of this, as she showed an indifference toward Nunnaly's fate and blindness toward her son's thoughts and emotions that leaves you with the impression of a selfish woman, full of herself, and quite mindfucked by her husband's wish to play the Antichrist.

All of this in barely ONE episode.

Other CG characters suffered from bad writing but IMO none compares to Marianne in terms of the proportion 'relevance to the plot/lack of proper writing'
Old 2009-02-04, 08:35   Link #3406
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
Marianne was at the very same time, too much and nothing.

Her character is a pile of contraddicting elements that left you quite clueless at the person she might have been.
She was probably a loving mother and a loving wife, she was surely a very admirable and skilled soldier, she was a source of inspiration for people around her, and an utopist, it seems...

...but her cameback, it shatters all of this, as she showed an indifference toward Nunnaly's fate and blindness toward her son's thoughts and emotions that leaves you with the impression of a selfish woman, full of herself, and quite mindfucked by her husband's wish to play the Antichrist.

All of this in barely ONE episode.

Other CG characters suffered from bad writing but IMO none compares to Marianne in terms of the proportion 'relevance to the plot/lack of proper writing'
I can't remember a plot twist in an anime more awful, it was never set up anywhere even though Code Geass had a ton of crap all over the place. It made no sense, it ruined her character, and the whole thing ended after it barely began.
Old 2009-02-04, 08:41   Link #3407
Levy
differently sober

yeah, there's a lot of things rushed in CG but Marianne is the one that was ruined the most.

"ah, Lelouch, so you know, your mummy doesn't give a crap about you. Now let's talk about something else.."
".. but.. ;_;..mama.... oh well, agreed. Let's go on with the rest"

it went more or less like this. :/

Jokes aside, having his beloved mother 'against' him surely had a big impact on Lelouch's final resolution, but given the importance that getting revenge for mama had always had for him, the plot twist should have been handled a lot better.
Old 2009-02-04, 08:59   Link #3408
rave
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Seriously though, i think that Gino had a tiny ball to play on the character-field in R2, compared to other characters, woo-hoo. It is just he did not have any huge {none} effect/impact on someone, so that he could at least be considered semi-important character.
Then again so many called important characters {see Marianne} had zero development as well {or more like alien-development} so yeah. I think a lot of charas got into the weird-chara elevator in R2. :x
Gino was just a funny side-character.Nothing wrong with that.No one said he is important or that he will ever be.The problem lies with people pushing him along with Kallen,something that will never happen.Even if it was not about Lelouch being the love of Kallen's life.Thus trying to make him important and justify the tiny development he got on the show.

Last edited by Hellychan; 2009-02-04 at 13:33. Reason: http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_rules_1_2
rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 10:10   Link #3409
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために

Poor Gino. His purpose other than catch Kallen and potential love interest for Kallen, is a sunshine beside gloomy Suzaku or just an addition of good-looking guys in KoR. Did anyone remember Rivalz? But both can't be considered as worst character.

Well, Kazuki of Dragonaut is the perfect example for the worst character. You will know why if you ever watch the anime Suzaku and Gino is nowhere compared to him as worst character

Avatar by Sonae. Signature by Airi. Thank you.
Pink-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 10:34   Link #3410
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Well, unless we have about 30+ Geass voters. Geass will win only in three catagories, Storyline, Male Character, and Worst character.

Btw. When will I get my C.C. X Lulu win outside of magazines? They didn't win the moe tournament. D=

-rambles to self-
Sonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 12:47   Link #3411
Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-chan View Post
Poor Gino. His purpose other than catch Kallen and potential love interest for Kallen, is a sunshine beside gloomy Suzaku or just an addition of good-looking guys in KoR. Did anyone remember Rivalz? But both can't be considered as worst character.
From what's been released he was never intended to be a possible LI. (The ship is ~~~ kinda dead now. Its bigger fancircles gave up on it with recent infos.)
Originally Kallen would have been confronted by her chichi (papa) and confronted on her two identities and forced to truly pick one over the other.
That didn't work out in R2 with the many, many changes to the show.
They used the one character who had no constant to do the same thing sorta but not nearly to the same level.
His questioning of Kallen's commitment was pretty lackluster and it wasn't really questioning.
He just said some mean things about the Japanese.
But his overall character was inserted for CLAMP to decorate Suzaku, from that point they used him in certain situations instead of adding new characters.
Only problem with that is he became inconsistent and flaky.
But his character role was to decorate Suzaku.
He's not a bad character.
He's an unneeded character.
Can say the same for all of the KoR, maybe not Bismark.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 12:50   Link #3412
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
From what's been released he was never intended to be a possible LI. (The ship is ~~~ kinda dead now. Its bigger fancircles gave up on it with recent infos.)
Originally Kallen would have been confronted by her chichi (papa) and confronted on her two identities and forced to truly pick one over the other.
That didn't work out in R2 with the many, many changes to the show.
They used the one character who had no constant to do the same thing sorta but not nearly to the same level.
His questioning of Kallen's commitment was pretty lackluster and it wasn't really questioning.
He just said some mean things about the Japanese.
But his overall character was inserted for CLAMP to decorate Suzaku, from that point they used him in certain situations instead of adding new characters.
Only problem with that is he became inconsistent and flaky.
But his character role was to decorate Suzaku.
He's not a bad character.
He's an unneeded character.
Can say the same for all of the KoR, maybe not Bismark.
I do agree but i tend to differ in the "un-needed" term. Side-characters like him, are "needed" for fun. However, if he was not in R2, it is not like that the second season would collapse. |DD;
I would probably say, he is a "necessary-un-needed" character.
Old 2009-02-04, 12:58   Link #3413
Levy
differently sober

To be honest, I do not see all this inconsistency in Gino.

He's a superficial boy of seventeen, of noble upbringing, with quite good pilot skills, and extroverted nature. He has no real plot for himself, but he doesn't really affect anything negatively. He's a nice, normal guy, standing in the background. Not everybody has to be on the spotlight or offer great character dept when this is not required by the plot.

Sure, he was unneeded, like the majority of -maybe all?- R2-only characters, but when it comes to he himself, he's quite a nice character overall, and used - for the little he is used, coherently. The very small character development he has for himself doesn't bugger me at all.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:01   Link #3414
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan

I never particularly minded Gino, but it's hard to deny that they could have removed him from the plot and very little would have changed. Basically, they would have needed someone else catch Kallen, and that's it. His interactions w/ Kallen and Suzaku never really went anywhere.

Oh well.

youngde, signing off.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:02   Link #3415
Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
I do agree but i tend to differ in the "un-needed" term. Side-characters like him, are "needed" for fun. However, if he was not in R2, it is not like that the second season would collapse. |DD;
I would probably say, he is a "necessary-un-needed" character.
Me personally, I never liked his character because it was shallow.
If you look at his following japanese fans its not because he had a role in show
He has fans because he was in an interview called possibly gay ~ for fans it means he's gay.
Most of his fans are yaoi fans.
~i think now the others are ginya fans.
~ginokare fandom kinda fell apart with the poem. i think it was the poem may be something else.
He has no fans for being important.
So is he really necessary?
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 13:06   Link #3416
Levy
differently sober

Well, having fans is not proportioned to the overall relevance to the plot.

Charlie is vital to the plot and he has few fans - I hope.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:11   Link #3417
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
Me personally, I never liked his character because it was shallow.
If you look at his following japanese fans its not because he had a role in show
He has fans because he was in an interview called possibly gay ~ for fans it means he's gay.
Most of his fans are yaoi fans.
~i think now the others are ginya fans.
~ginokare fandom kinda fell apart with the poem. i think it was the poem may be something else.
He has no fans for being important.
So is he really necessary?
Well i can like "shallow" {according to your definition} characters, i loled at some of his moments within the series. {especially in #5 and #12} and i generally enjoyed his moments on the show.
It is one thing to "like" a character and a whole other to "love" another chara.
I just like Gino, not much, but i do. I do not think that he was totally un-needed in the show. He was just not important. Like, at all.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:55   Link #3418
yvj
U Mad?

If it weren't for Luciano, Bismark, and Marianne.

Gino would probably be at the top of the list of most fail. Fortunately for him unlike the other three above he got two minutes of development and he didn't die as quickly as he showed up with an inglorious death.
Old 2009-02-04, 14:55   Link #3419
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

I love almost all the characters, including Gino, and since we all know that R2 wasn't nearly as awesome as it could have been, I'm only really annoyed at the Marianne thing.
I mean, even Clovis admired her. xD
Speaking of Clovis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
alot of people seem to like clovis for some reason
apperently he was given more characterization using added matirial
during the show proper however i never liked him and never gave him a second thougt after lelouch killed him
O_O
Omg!
Someone mentioned him! Someone mentioned him!
*dies of happiness*
... Ah, being a fangirl is fun. xD

Actually, I already got very interested in Clovis before I listened to the side material.
I admit that when he first appeared, I simply thought: "Hm... interesting" and didn't immediately start squealing over him (even though I thought he looked kind of hot). And when he was shot, I was too fascinated by the anime itself to think much about it.
But then there were the paintings. When Euphie commented on the "gentle colours" her brother likd, I knew the staff wanted to tell us something. And then I saw the painting of Marianne, Lelouch and Nunally, and I got the feeling that I missed the oppurtunity to fangirl a very interesting character.
Then, finally, Cornelia stated that Clovis designed a garden after Aries' Imperial Villa "even though he always used to argue with Lelouch there"... and I totally fell for him.
It was to be expected that I would become a rabid fangirl as soon as the respective Sound Drama came to my attention. It's so sweet and sad and it shows that Clovis didn't only genuinely love Lelouch, but also used to understand a lot about him.
Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but as I see it, he was an awesome older brother and very tragic character. And even though Sunrise could have gone a bit deeper into that in the anime, I'm quite satisfied with how they portrayed him as a whole.

Still, I want Clovis in the "most hated character" poll.
He deserves the attention. xD
Old 2009-02-04, 16:01   Link #3420
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
Well, having fans is not proportioned to the overall relevance to the plot.

Charlie is vital to the plot and he has few fans - I hope.
I was the Emperor's fan until they turned him into Gendo Ikari with a laughable design, a stupid Freudian Excuse, and nonsensical goals. The man was pure comedy gold with his engrish, idiotic design, and his over the top antics. Once they tried to give him character depth at the last second they ruined him.

No one makes a film that tries to give Hitler depth so why the hell would you try with Charles?