AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-04-23, 16:56   Link #1181
kalbron

In answer to that, the same reason you would purchase the movies of the Lord of the Rings even while owning the books.

The game has a LOT of blank spaces that an anime could fill out. Some of the scenes presented in the game could be vastly improved by having a constant stream of animation over the "talking head" segments. They could essentially add dozens of smaller "Edy Detachment" parts to the story, because the game tends to have IG weeks/months between some of the missions.

If the anime re-tells the major plot points of the game, but travels to different locations along the way without seeming forced, I would view it as a success. Drastically altering characters and adding in a random love-triangle plot where there was none just seems like lazy writing/planning to me when they could be doing so much more with the skeletal story (and it is pretty bare bones, however enjoyable) they've been handed.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:11   Link #1182
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
And so, I'm not so sure of what you're trying to say.

Like I said, there are little to none 1:1 adaptations. In fact, adapting to another medium is in itself a very significant change from the source material. I don't think anyone is really complaining about that.

But are you also saying that the anime should be free to change anything?
Basically? Yes.

As I said, there is a vast amount of difference between animating a manga, and animating Valkyria Chronicles. Due to the advances in cell-shading graphics, Valkyria Chronicles and games like it have reached the point where anime and game blend in. The difference between the two becomes neglectable, and in fact I have heard people say they liked the style of the game better. Whereas animating, say, one of the older Final Fantasies you could claim to be telling the story with great visuals, like how an animated manga is telling the story with moving visuals and voiced characters, Valkyria Chronicles is already an anime of its own in its game format.

Perhaps I should explain what I consider a 1:1 adaptation first. I consider any media product that animates an story with at most minor deviations a 1:1 story. Examples of these are Naruto, Bleach and Hunter X Hunter.

So far, Valkyria Chronicles has not deviated from the main plot in any significant way. It did, however, change the personalities of two key members of the cast, making it what I consider close to a 1:2 adaptation (1.1,5? Meh, too technical). However, I can still clearly predict what it going to happen, when it's going to happen and how it's going to happen. As someone who has played the game, there really is little merit for me to watch this anime, much less purchase the DVD's when they come out. After all, why should I? I already have the story on my PS3, don't I?

Now if they were to introduce a change, a twist in the plot that would make me go "Wait, what? That wasn't in the game! Oh crap, I wonder what's going to happen now?" then I would be eager to watch the next episode.

So yes, I am saying the anime should be free to change anything. If not, what reason do I have for watching this?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:12   Link #1183
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
There are VC threads in the manga and game section as well. The post activity within the anime, game and manga threads would've eventually become big enough that VC getting its own sub-forums was bound to happen.
I wonder how many posts will be left in the anime episode threads if all of the comparisons goes properly to the game thread and the weapons talk goes into a separate thread (assuming LKK's proposal is accepted and such a thread is created)...
At least it won't be as little as TOA... Could it? Dun dun dun~!

Not really able to argue anything, but I'm hoping the anime will change all it wants too. At least the game comparisons might stop... (Or maybe it still won't...).
Not that I would know what was changed though... Fuh...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:20   Link #1184
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
In answer to that, the same reason you would purchase the movies of the Lord of the Rings even while owning the books.
Ahh, there is a key difference there. You see, the Lord of the Rings was never a visually stunning piece to begin with. It was a world that was filled by my imagination. The reason I went to see the movies despite having read the books was because I wanted to see the world with my eyes not my mind.

For manga, a similar principle applies. When watching an animated manga, instead of 'I wonder what is going to happen next?' you sit there with the anticipation of 'I wonder how that will look when animated?'

Valkyria Chronicles has neither of these advantages. It already displayed a visual world, and it already did so well animated.

Quote:
The game has a LOT of blank spaces that an anime could fill out. Some of the scenes presented in the game could be vastly improved by having a constant stream of animation over the "talking head" segments. They could essentially add dozens of smaller "Edy Detachment" parts to the story, because the game tends to have IG weeks/months between some of the missions.

If the anime re-tells the major plot points of the game, but travels to different locations along the way without seeming forced, I would view it as a success. Drastically altering characters and adding in a random love-triangle plot where there was none just seems like lazy writing/planning to me when they could be doing so much more with the skeletal story (and it is pretty bare bones, however enjoyable) they've been handed.
And I fully hope they do so. Additional segments or the pasts of the cast animated would make me more then eager to watch.

I do not, however, consider the change from talking heads to fluid talking to be of any significant value. Most of the time those scenes were done when people were only... well... talking. Even when animated, not much would happen during those scenes anyway.

I agree that if the anime travels to different locations to tell the same story from a different point of view, that would surely increase the enjoyment of watching it (it would make it a complementary story rather then an alternative one) however, so far the anime seems intent on focusing on the same cast it focused on in the game, making that ray of hope... a rather dim one. Hence why I am hoping for a major plot twist.
Old 2009-04-23, 17:24   Link #1185
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Now if they were to introduce a change, a twist in the plot that would make me go "Wait, what? That wasn't in the game! Oh crap, I wonder what's going to happen now?" then I would be eager to watch the next episode.

So yes, I am saying the anime should be free to change anything. If not, what reason do I have for watching this?
And that returns to pretty much what I said about imagination and restraint.

Drastic and significant alterations are always a risk. Kalbron said it best when s/he comments on the anime becoming good on its own as an adaptation if it retells the main story while introducing changes or additions that won't feel forced or arbitrary.

As long as the anime stays close to the spirit of the original work, then a fan can hardly complain. It's when it gets raped to the ground that fans aren't too happy about.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:55   Link #1186
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I know it's a risk, but compared to the certainty of the Valkyria Chronicles anime being a mere repeat of a story I've already seen in the game, it's a risk I'm willing to accept.

I agree that Kalbron's option is a much better one, and indeed it is an option that I myself would prefer as well, however the anime so far has shown every intent to focus on the same characters it has focused on in the game, making the idea of the story being told from a different point of view rather distant.
Old 2009-04-23, 17:59   Link #1187
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
As long as the anime stays close to the spirit of the original work, then a fan can hardly complain. It's when it gets raped to the ground that fans aren't too happy about.
hehe isn't this always the case

problem is I do think its hard to capture that spirit, I usually think its ok most of the time but like serenade_beta said before best to see anime and game as 2 different things.

well for me I'm ok with alot of the stuff I watch, I'll always have something to complain about but then everyone does

ahh anime it brings the worst out of us
Old 2009-04-23, 18:05   Link #1188
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And even if the anime does end up sucking, we can at least tell the people who watched it "Yeah, it sucked. Go play the game, the game is epic!"
Old 2009-04-23, 18:29   Link #1189
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And even if the anime does end up sucking, we can at least tell the people who watched it "Yeah, it sucked. Go play the game, the game is epic!"
If you buy me a PS3.........(´・ω・`)

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-23, 18:41   Link #1190
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
AWESOME! It's own board!

I actually didn't think it'd get one.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 22:44   Link #1191
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Chalk up another person who can say they're playing the game and watching the anime.
Old 2009-04-24, 00:24   Link #1192
Welkins

The full version of the opening is out.
Welkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 00:27   Link #1193
Welkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Chalk up another person who can say they're playing the game and watching the anime.
I'm refraining from watching until I play the game, which won't be until another couple of months since I'm broke and haven't even purchase a console much less the actual game.

Besides, I rather not wait every week to find out what happens next for each episodes; I'd rather have the whole set complete and watch it the thing without the wait. So hopefully by the time I'm finish playing the game, the season will be completed and ready to watch at will.
Welkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 04:18   Link #1194
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

@kalbron

I think you should delete that post and just PM the spoilers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutters View Post

The full version of the opening is out.
Wonderful! Really is a good OP...

Old 2009-04-25, 04:26   Link #1195
kalbron

... doesn't that entirely defeat the purpose of having spoiler tags in the first place?

If people want to know, they can click. If not, they don't have to. It's not like it's that much harder to run into spoilers anywhere else on the internet with roughly the same amount of concious effort as clicking the 'show' button.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 08:27   Link #1196
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

From what I can see from this anime, it seems that the entire story is based on World War II in its opening stages. Even the designs of the Imperial Army tankettes are pretty much like the German Panzer Is. I am thinking it might be either Poland or Austria.

Edelweiss looks like a scaled down version of the Elephant tank destroyers the Germans used in the later stage of the war. So which means that the Darksen are the Jews?

Spoiler for spoiler:

Interesting storyline to follow up. Worth watching.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 09:00   Link #1197
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
... doesn't that entirely defeat the purpose of having spoiler tags in the first place?

If people want to know, they can click. If not, they don't have to. It's not like it's that much harder to run into spoilers anywhere else on the internet with roughly the same amount of concious effort as clicking the 'show' button.
I would have to agree. To help, I've moved the post (and the original question) to the Q&A thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
um any one know the history of Darcsen tribe or can anyone give me a link to it. i want to atleast know a bit mroe before watching it past episode 3
Above post moved to Q&A thread.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 10:27   Link #1198
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
But as this is now just the thread for general use, places like the game thread or the QA thread fits the questions and answers more.
Though I guess it is actually the person who asked the question who should have posted elsewhere first.
Oh well, problem solved, so all is well.

Old 2009-04-25, 18:23   Link #1199
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

hmmm

im wondering if there is a connection with history in this anime.. err i mean si there a connection to the history of the world that is being portrayed in this anime???
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 03:29   Link #1200
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm... not sure what you mean. Do you mean whether there is a connection between our worlds' history and the one in the anime?

Tags
sega