AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-16, 21:47   Link #741
BitColdSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
First off, those pics you posted are awesome Midonin.

Now about the ep, as always Basquash! continues being a solid show. I can never get tired of Dan's "Tracer" shots (that's what they're called, right?), they're too shiny not to watch. Though I have to say I enjoyed this moment too...

Dan: Ah! Idol Red!!
*They point at each other silently for a minute*
Rouge: It's Rouge

Hard to imitate on a forum but the way she said it made me laugh. Always love the moments between those two. Now for another week long wait for the next ep.
Same, still loving those DanxRouge moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Regarding the change of director, co-creator Thomas Romain apparently offered an explanation on the Catsuka forums:

The gist of it is that there were already creative conflicts between Itagaki and the sponsors for months before the show aired (so this wasn't merely a sudden post-launch reaction). Nevertheless, he refused to bend, despite the apprehension of the producers.

Romain also expressed confidence in Eiichi Sato, who is reputed to be Satelight's go-to guy in the midst of a production crisis (i.e. Kissdum: Engage Planet).

If that were the case, this shake-up would probably not have happened. There hasn't been a whole lot of buzz among otaku and it's a late-night show, so I'm sure some might take it as a discouraging sign.
Creative conflicts, eh? Does that relate to animation or any major points in the plot?
BitColdSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 23:15   Link #742
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
there's still a lot about Miyuki's background that is missing and interesting. She left for the moon when she was little, right? For Dan, who has always wanted to go to the moon, why didn't he ask Miyuki about it? Why didn't Miyuki talk about it? Why did she go to the moon? (probably something to do with her grandpa?)

and I'd love to see more flashbacks of the younger gang in Rolling town, Miyuki and the three guys.
Its not that an wanted to go to the moon when he was a kid its that Coco was injured.

Given how he forgot about Miyuki I doubt he knows she went to the moon.

As for Miyuki I got the feeling she has it for Dan to be a means to an end.

Her flashback included where there was an explosion, calling her parents.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 01:34   Link #743
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Its not that an wanted to go to the moon when he was a kid its that Coco was injured.

Given how he forgot about Miyuki I doubt he knows she went to the moon.

As for Miyuki I got the feeling she has it for Dan to be a means to an end.

Her flashback included where there was an explosion, calling her parents.
I know. He still wants to go to the moon and get Coco's legs healed. I just realised by looking at that scene with Coco in episode 11 that she's Physically following the team? She isn't sitting back home getting information from Slash, she's actually Following the team! which implies she'll also go to the moon when Dan does.

Is there an explosion in Miyuki's flashback? thanks, I don't remember that bit at all.

Ep 11 is a quiet episode compared to others. Less action, less flashy and more concentration on character and place. I suppose that's a nice break in terms of pacing. It's funny how Dan doesn't ever do anything that Alan expects. Looks like the show's setting up for something big in ep 12.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 01:59   Link #744
Cirocco

I missed the banter and chemistry between Dan, Miyuki, Ganz, Bel, Soichi, and Haruka (and even Sela and Iceman) when they were residing in Rollingtown. In fact, I miss Rollingtown, it had its own personality, quirkiness, and charm that felt very much like a living, breathing home.

I hope the series steers back to that core group and, eventually, back to Rollingtown while advancing the main plot and any surprising subplots. The creative spark that ignited this colorful vibrant series seems to have faded. Right now, I'm mildly unimpressed with the "road trip" episodes so far. They feel like light-weight fillers, with no payoff. But I remain faithful that future episodes will toss me to the moon.
Cirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 08:49   Link #745
Midonin
Last Engage

We've already got signs of Dan starting to overcome his guilt, some revelation on Sela and Iceman's backstories and a few other hints being dropped. I wouldn't throw around the term "filler" so easily.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 09:02   Link #746
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonore Magilinon View Post
One question I have left is why Basquash! doesn't have it's own subforum? It's ongoing and well... at least it's better than Valkyria Chronicles and even it has it's own subforum... Basquash! is the most popular ongiong in Japan right now! (Or it least it surely was for quite some time)
Eh... this

http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2009/0...-and-rest.html

and amazon pre order rankings show that's far from the truth... it's not exactly Macross Frontier...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 10:16   Link #747
Cirocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
We've already got signs of Dan starting to overcome his guilt, some revelation on Sela and Iceman's backstories and a few other hints being dropped. I wouldn't throw around the term "filler" so easily.

I'd say those are incidental character developments, but overall the pacing of the "road trip" episodes is, in my opinion, flat. I believe the "Rollingtown" episodes succeeds in establishing the characters, but the follow-up in the "road trip" episodes have been lukewarm. It could be the presentation of the current storyline that's affecting my enjoyment. I'm being fed bits and pieces of the characters and story, with little sense of meaningful progress. I still find this series worth watching, and I'm curious about the direction of the future episodes.
Cirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 10:31   Link #748
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not really a wildly popular show - but I like it just fine, anyway.
As for the subforum bit, honestly, this show doesn't generate even a significant fraction of the Valkyria Chronicles posts (just to keep it in perspective, since that one was used as an example) and that subforum isn't even a terribly active one. It's sad, but it is what it is.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 11:42   Link #749
Kiavik

Whaaaat?! It looks like 2 10-minutes long episodes aired this week instead of a 20-minute long one, and the second one has a different opening!
Kiavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 12:25   Link #750
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirocco View Post
I'd say those are incidental character developments, but overall the pacing of the "road trip" episodes is, in my opinion, flat. I believe the "Rollingtown" episodes succeeds in establishing the characters, but the follow-up in the "road trip" episodes have been lukewarm. It could be the presentation of the current storyline that's affecting my enjoyment. I'm being fed bits and pieces of the characters and story, with little sense of meaningful progress. I still find this series worth watching, and I'm curious about the direction of the future episodes.
I have to agree with you.
It isn't like I don't enjoy the series anymore but right now it has become less focused than what it was before. I still think that ep 7 was the high point of the series and haven't seen anything yet to surpass the feeling I had when watching that episode (utter enjoyment).
Lukewarm is a good word to put it...hopefully it will get back on track soon. That said I still love the series and think it is way better than a lot of other stuff currently airing. I think the characters play a big part in that since I just can't fault the cast. They feel so 3D and each have their own unique story to tell.

This was what I liked about ep 11, finally some Sela and more Iceman development. Dan didn't play much of a role besides throwing that ball but through some fluke he managed to touch the hearts of those around him. They say that idiots are quite lucky
For the most part Flora is still pretty useless and her 6th sense lines are getting a tad old..."the wind is changing" yadda yadda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
Whaaaat?! It looks like 2 10-minutes long episodes aired this week instead of a 20-minute long one, and the second one has a different opening!
Whaaaaaaa?
Where did this come from?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 13:28   Link #751
Kiavik

The image thread on 2chan was filled with "Whaat? It already ended?!" and then pics of the other opening and the following episode.
I really dont get it.
Kiavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:10   Link #752
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
The image thread on 2chan was filled with "Whaat? It already ended?!" and then pics of the other opening and the following episode.
I really dont get it.
isn't this the episode where the new director starts taking over?
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:16   Link #753
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
isn't this the episode where the new director starts taking over?
Supposedly not until episode 17.
Old 2009-06-18, 15:22   Link #754
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Supposedly not until episode 17.
really, If the other director had not been doing a good job, firing him after he had done 16 episodes is silly. unless the series is more than 24 episodes.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:34   Link #755
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wait so we've got a Lucky Star/Gundam 0083 scenario on our hands now? This is the first I've actually heard of this. When did they announce that the show had had a director change?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 15:35   Link #756
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
really, If the other director had not been doing a good job, firing him after he had done 16 episodes is silly. unless the series is more than 24 episodes.
I'm just repeating what it says here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...31#post2456631

Whether it makes sense or not is not a decision I was asked about
Old 2009-06-18, 16:29   Link #757
Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Eh... this

http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2009/0...-and-rest.html

and amazon pre order rankings show that's far from the truth... it's not exactly Macross Frontier...
April 27...
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 18:51   Link #758
mechdra

Spoiler for Ep 12:
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 19:22   Link #759
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Basquash! 12 - 20,000 Seas Under the League:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 19:46   Link #760
rg4619

Quote:
Yes, with storyboards for 16 episodes already finished, it seems too late for anything to be accomplished.

I think the question is whether replacing Itagaki was a move to salvage the show or whether it was simply punishment for being uncooperative and then failing to deliver (i.e. they've already given up on the series and are now setting an example). Since the sponsors made the call, I'd imagine that Itagaki's directorial future might be in question.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basketball, mecha, shounen