AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-06, 20:29   Link #21
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

This may be a little late, but I'm watching Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight, and I think it's a fun, moe, very entertaining, and innocent anime. It's sort of like a mix of Ichigo Mashimaro and K-on.

It is about a group of high school girls who sort of stumble into the positions on their student council by default, where in the near future, there is a shortage of students, and students are not very enthusiastic about school life. The anime follows the girls as they try to spice up campus life with fun events that they come up with on their own, such as dodgeball tournaments or a campus garage sale where they sell a lot of... questionable junk. (Although their personalities and character designs more resemble elementary students, which is probably perfect for your sister)

It has a much stronger focus on the plot than K-on ,so far, every episode so far has dealt very personally with trying to spice up school life in a rather cute way. There's no fanservice, I haven't seen any panty shots or even anything like Minami-ke where they poke fun at having near-panty shots. Azumanga Daioh was kind of fan-servicey with the pool episodes and athletic festivals, and Kimura was really weird... I don't think there is any of that in here. The humor and fun is a step up in innocence from K-on, so I think it's worth a look at it.(Incidentally I think I heard about the show, because when K-on first started, it was being compared to it)

Edit: Actually the show is fairly sentimental and well done in that regard. The art style betrays the show a little, the characters and their development are the focus of the show. It's very much a serious show as it is slice of life/comedy. It has a bit of friendship drama.

It's a bit obscure, I don't really hear it recommended a lot, but it seems to be a very solid show as far as moe-based shows go. When compared to other more popular shows that are labeled, moe, perhaps a better selling point to some would be it's all-star cast of VA's, imagine having Ayu(Yui Horie) from Kanon, Fuko(Ai Nonaka) from Clannad, Haruhi(Aya Hirano) from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Kana(Marina Inoue) from Minami-Ke voicing your principal main characters(And having similar personalities to these characters to boot!). It's definitely something to check out IMO.

Last edited by Ceral; 2009-07-07 at 23:32.
Old 2009-07-08, 09:07   Link #22
KimmyChan

Panda Go Panda - I can't recommend this movie highly enough for a young anime fan, it's cute as hell
Old 2009-07-13, 01:05   Link #23
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

This is old, but you're pretty much safe with anything that was serialized in Ribon or Nakayoshi (monthly Shoujo manga magazines that are aimed at girls 9-13ish)

My sister is 11, and some of the anime I've watched with her (and she really loved) were Full Moon wo Sagashite which young girls really seem to love, despite the whole shinigami thing. Animal Yokocho Although she might be a bit offended at that one, since it's REALLY childish. More for 6-8 year olds. But it's so cute! Azumanga Daioh, Ojamajo Doremi, Pretty Cure, Shugo Chara! and Kamichama Karin are all cutesy anime suited for young girls.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:00   Link #24
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

If she likes Cardcaptor Sakura, how about Sailor Moon? I LOVED Sailor Moon when I was that age.............. Actually, I still love it... And Full Moon wo Sagashite is a good one, too.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:19   Link #25
Nodame

All I can think of...the Ghiblis..!

-Pom poko
-Spirited Away
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Ponyo

Old 2009-07-20, 07:36   Link #26
Fate21
Kiyu~

I agree. Pretty Cure and Manabi Straight and maybe Hamtaro :3
Old 2009-07-20, 17:47   Link #27
Trans-Fat

I would say Pokemon, Angelic Layer, Sister Princess, Mahoraba, Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba manga, Fushugiyugi, Full Moon, maybe Karin aka Chibi Vampire. Most of these anime are simple anime and is easily followed by a 10 yr-old.
Old 2009-07-20, 17:51   Link #28
lixuelai

Some of the stuff suggested are way too deep for a 10 year old. Stick to PreCure, CCS and maybe FullMoon (though that is a bit serious) and go from there.
Old 2009-07-20, 18:21   Link #29
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I suggest checking out Miyazaki Hayao's movies... Most of them should be suitable enough for a 10 year old since there isn't really any fanservice in it and also all his works for I know is done by scratch.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:06   Link #30
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If she's interested in art, you might take a quick look at GA - Geijutsuka Art Design Class. It's got a lot of detail about how art is made in a rather frantic and humorous format. I've only seen one episode, but I think it might appeal to a younger person with an artistic bent.
Old 2009-07-21, 09:44   Link #31
Umandsf
Fanboy of Ai Haibara
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Umandsf Send a message via MSN to Umandsf
A suggestion from me would be Ojamajo Doremi (stop it, Umandsf!). Magical girl show more rooted in a real world setting than the magic world, although that just makes the magic world more interesting. Plus it gets Bette with each passing year and the hsracters are around that age, so...it worn a shot.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go tie myself up so that I can stop promoting this show everywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
girls, preteens