AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 10:42   Link #1081
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^^ By the way this is one of the best effects of the first episode being out of order! I remember many complaining, but it added a lot to the show's dramatic value and in the long run I considerate a very wise decision.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 10:46   Link #1082
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^^ By the way this is one of the best effects of the first episode being out of order! I remember many complaining, but it added a lot to the show's dramatic value and in the long run I considerate a very wise decision.
I don't b/c by the time we get to the same part again towards the ending and everything jumps into fast forward, it's not that easy to fill in the missing parts from the second episode which aired severals weeks before.
Old 2009-07-13, 11:10   Link #1083
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I don't b/c by the time we get to the same part again towards the ending and everything jumps into fast forward, it's not that easy to fill in the missing parts from the second episode which aired severals weeks before.
My point is that you knew that Yomi will turn evil, but for more than two hours of screen-time you get to empathize with her since you see her good side and understand that some times there is no way around these choices and you get torn in what is the righteous choice (like her). You don't really have to remember the specifics from the beginning, just that the villain actually turned to be the character you understood best and empathize with despite knowing the outcome
Old 2009-07-13, 11:39   Link #1084
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
My point is that you knew that Yomi will turn evil, but for more than two hours of screen-time you get to empathize with her since you see her good side and understand that some times there is no way around these choices and you get torn in what is the righteous choice (like her). You don't really have to remember the specifics from the beginning, just that the villain actually turned to be the character you understood best and empathize with despite knowing the outcome
Of course you can empathize with her, since she's also a victim. And I wouldn't say that she turned evil, in a moment of weakness her soul was overtaken by the death stone thus her body became a puppet while most of her real personality got locked away And I would have still understood her situation even without the prologue, so there really was no point in starting the series that way, especially with another team which had no significance at all.
Old 2009-07-13, 11:51   Link #1085
Slick_rick

Quote:
Of course you can empathize with her, since she's also a victim. And I wouldn't say that she turned evil, in a moment of weakness her soul was overtaken by the death stone thus her body became a puppet while most of her real personality got locked away And I would have still understood her situation even without the prologue, so there really was no point in starting the series that way, especially with another team which had no significance at all.
I always thought it gave the show an air of tragedy that wouldn't be there without it. You knew the Yomi was going to eventually turn evil and you see how cruel she could be so it draws a marked contrast from what you see of her after episode 2. All the happy moments were tainted with a sense of dread of what was to come. Also the original cast for a lot of people were memorable and it showed the show wasn't going to pull any punches. The Ga-rei Zero world was a cruel and harsh place where the good guys lost too.
Old 2009-07-13, 12:01   Link #1086
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I Loved The First episode how everyone died
Old 2009-07-13, 12:14   Link #1087
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
I always thought it gave the show an air of tragedy that wouldn't be there without it. You knew the Yomi was going to eventually turn evil and you see how cruel she could be so it draws a marked contrast from what you see of her after episode 2. All the happy moments were tainted with a sense of dread of what was to come.

Also the original cast for a lot of people were memorable and it showed the show wasn't going to pull any punches. The Ga-rei Zero world was a cruel and harsh place where the good guys lost too.
That's true.
Although after Yomi "turns evil" she's not the same person anymore - the Yomi we got to know basically died in the hospital, after that it's just an animated corpse (like Mei was)

The cruelty could have been exposed along the way I still don't see the point of starting the series with an entirely different cast. If the creators wanted to express that even the good guys can loose they should have given them more screen time (at least three eps). In just one episode there's no was you can really relate to or feel sorry for them, they just remained cannon-fodder

It certainly was original but sort of rushed too
Old 2009-07-13, 13:20   Link #1088
Slick_rick

Quote:
That's true.
Although after Yomi "turns evil" she's not the same person anymore - the Yomi we got to know basically died in the hospital, after that it's just an animated corpse (like Mei was)

The cruelty could have been exposed along the way I still don't see the point of starting the series with an entirely different cast. If the creators wanted to express that even the good guys can loose they should have given them more screen time (at least three eps). In just one episode there's no was you can really relate to or feel sorry for them, they just remained cannon-fodder

It certainly was original but sort of rushed too
Some certainly took a liking to many of the first episode cast. I still hears cries of "Natsuki" ever now and again. Certainly they could have done it differently but I think the way they did it left an impact that wouldn't be there otherwise. I want to say it was original but I have seen a series with a similar opening episode. The problem was that series didn't execute it any near as well as this one. It's a hit or miss episode but it still accomplished what it wanted to do either way. Not everyone will like such a twist.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:52   Link #1089
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Some certainly took a liking to many of the first episode cast. I still hears cries of "Natsuki" ever now and again. Certainly they could have done it differently but I think the way they did it left an impact that wouldn't be there otherwise. I want to say it was original but I have seen a series with a similar opening episode. The problem was that series didn't execute it any near as well as this one. It's a hit or miss episode but it still accomplished what it wanted to do either way. Not everyone will like such a twist.
Exactly my point!
Old 2009-07-13, 18:13   Link #1090
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I did Chapter 6 for my story, "Files of the 4th Division." Basically an AU on the 4th Division of the Paranormal Disaster Countermeasure Headquarters

Story

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 18:43   Link #1091
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
This series is so depressing! I'm stuck on ep. 8 at the half way mark and can't make myself go further. ;_;

Maybe I need to watch something happy or mindless first before I can move on.
The best choice for a happy and mindless show is Saki, but you're already watching that (hint: the seiyuu for Kagura plays Touka) . So you should go to the next best choice which is probably Taishou Yakyuu Musume - it's a new anime that uses very old-fashioned fun elements, and pulls it off pretty well.

For Ga-rei Zero itself, try and plow through it - it's surprisingly good, and the payoffs are well worth the depressing parts.
Old 2009-07-13, 19:54   Link #1092
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The best choice for a happy and mindless show is Saki, but you're already watching that (hint: the seiyuu for Kagura plays Touka) . So you should go to the next best choice which is probably Taishou Yakyuu Musume - it's a new anime that uses very old-fashioned fun elements, and pulls it off pretty well.

For Ga-rei Zero itself, try and plow through it - it's surprisingly good, and the payoffs are well worth the depressing parts.
I hadn't known that re: Kagura and Touka, but now that you mention it, I can hear the similarity. Definitely gives an ... odd ... slant on Kagura during the show though ("We'll see who the TRUE (swordsmanship) IDOL is!!").

Ep. 9. Really nice to see Kagura and Yomi relationship ... of course, then it all goes downhill when the annoying Nagi look alike appears.

Edit: This theme song is addictive though.
Old 2009-07-13, 20:33   Link #1093
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Ep. 10. Yomi vs. Mei's dad has a striking similarity to Mei vs. Yomi's dad. Of course, Mei's dad is considerably worse so he just gets offed like an idiot.

Kagura eating the pocky and thinking about Yomi. Hrm. This scene from ep. 2 suddenly has more importance. BTW, the way she was chewing on it... reminded me of Canaan and her sugar stick addiction, complete with dominant chews. Very distinct bites.

Also, ep. 2's fight scene definitely makes more sense to me now. No wonder she wasn't ready to fight Yomi. It's barely been a couple hours since last she was hugging her onee-san and now Yomi's a big bad. Must really screw with your head and world view, esp. if one's like, what? 12? 13? At that age, kids are all about authority figures and accepting what they say, esp. if it's a trusted authority figure like Noriyuki or Yomi. Mixed in with the fact that at that age, kids are ridiculously self-conscious and haven't quite figured out that the world does not revolve around them so they believe everything is related to one of their actions... Yeah, okay, even her "this is my fault" shtick starts to make sense.

Hrm. That is to say, I like Kagura for the most part but I didn't quite understand her character in ep. 2.

Yomi sounds a bit demented when she's saying that hello. Well, apparently, being possessed by death stones doesn't do wonders for your sanity.

Jeez. I'm surprised Kagura even did that well against Yomi since it seems like she's in shock the entire time.

Ouch. Nori-chan doesn't even fight. Poor Kazuki. No wonder Yomi has to focus on Kagura to find someone who can actually fight her and have a chance of beating her.

Well, points to Kagura for actually trying to end it although she did try to find a way where she wouldn't have to cut down Yomi herself.

[I am so far beyond depressed into morbid acceptance now.]

This series is making a habit of inappropriate fan service at potential death scenes. It was weird at first but now it's just funny. Speaking of that, I wonder if part of that "free you from pain" thing from Yomi was her offering to give part of the death stone to Kagura. Also, I wonder if Yomi and her whole cutting up the school uniform to random talking, etc., was delaying tactics from something inside that doesn't want to kill Kagura.
Old 2009-07-13, 21:14   Link #1094
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Ep. 11. Kagura's dad needs to take lessons from Rider on chain fighting.

Why doesn't Rangurren just go for the body of the white dragon instead of the head?

There's feedback from the dragon on damage? That sucks! Rangurren doesn't have that problem.

Whoa. Wires from the secretary.

Rangurren even acts without being told to protect his wielder. I wonder if ga-rei can form bonds to certain wielders? I mean, for sure, it didn't do anything like this for Mei.

I didn't notice before but Secretary has really weird eyes. It just doesn't seem to match with her face and hair.

So those floating woman in the tanks observe spiritual flows. Minority Report flashback. That's sort of creepy actually.

Ick. Izuna's mind completely broke.

Of course the father has to die. It's a trope! The mentor has to die before the student can grow up and stand on her own. It's ... Roger and his Bronze Battalion captain all over again! This strongest ga-rei seems to have a lot of drawbacks.

Wheelchair-fu. Wow.

Another pro for Rangurren. He can act independently and he's mobile. And he can attack from both ends. ... Medusa butt ftw? He can also teleport back to his wielder. This is a lot of pros.

Yomi is the terminator. She never dies!
Old 2009-07-13, 21:47   Link #1095
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Ep. 12. Is that Tohru commanding the ground forces? He looks familiar but I don't know who he is.

That cell phone sliding open conveniently when Yomi falls forward. That wasn't a deus ex machina. At all.

Nagi look alike is playing with words. I think the death stone does respond to desires but deliberately seeks out and amplifies negative desires. Most people are ambivalent about things or feel the more positive emotional overall. There are very few people who deliberately go out and focus on their negative emotions.

Kagura is tiny, esp. next to drill wielder and Nabuu.

A sword with a cartridge system! Now, it just needs to be able to detach in pieces like Signum's sword...

Yomi's conversational gambit: Failed. I think Kagura's the only one in this anime who would answer like that.

Having to put your sword down before you can call your strongest ga rei: asinine. Who thought up this method?

Yomi channeling her inner Buffy. There's something wrong about the undead girl using the stake though...

Inappropriate fan service strikes again.

Second fight: ;_; *hunts for a tissue*

2 years later: Do not like. Also, Nori-chan's laugh is freaking me out. That's not sexy at all. New Kagura's voice is also weird. Long haired look is okay though.
Old 2009-07-14, 11:07   Link #1096
careph

The first episode nearly made me drop the show. Neither did I need a second Gendo Ikari nor another Hei. The CG beasts also gave their best to reinforce my negative impression.
That is, until she emerged from the shadows. It was carnage at first sight

Quote:
That's true.
Please allow me to disagree.

Spoiler for ”Rant filled to the brim with observations, speculations and cynical remarks”:

Spoiler for ”three more motivationals”:
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 21:57   Link #1097
4Tran

Quote:
Nagi look alike is playing with words. I think the death stone does respond to desires but deliberately seeks out and amplifies negative desires. Most people are ambivalent about things or feel the more positive emotional overall. There are very few people who deliberately go out and focus on their negative emotions.
I think that it's even more insidious than that. Instead of amplifying negative desires, I think that it removes the inhibitions one would normally have against enacting them. That way, while the stones play their part, it really is playing into what the person affected would have wanted to do. That would help explain why Yomi was able to keep from hurting Kagura physically - even at her deepest and darkest, she never wanted to protect her. I'd imagine that the death stones also heighten the affected person's sense of self-preservation as well, or else Yomi would have killed herself.

Quote:
Yomi channeling her inner Buffy. There's something wrong about the undead girl using the stake though...
At this point, Yomi is still quite alive; just under the influence of the death stone.

Quote:
2 years later: Do not like. Also, Nori-chan's laugh is freaking me out. That's not sexy at all. New Kagura's voice is also weird. Long haired look is okay though.
I don't read manga as a rule, but I think that this is what people are talking about in that the manga isn't all that exciting compared to the anime (and why some won't mind it if Ga-rei isn't animated).
Old 2009-07-15, 04:47   Link #1098
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
I think that it's even more insidious than that. Instead of amplifying negative desires, I think that it removes the inhibitions one would normally have against enacting them. That way, while the stones play their part, it really is playing into what the person affected would have wanted to do. That would help explain why Yomi was able to keep from hurting Kagura physically - even at her deepest and darkest, she never wanted to protect her. I'd imagine that the death stones also heighten the affected person's sense of self-preservation as well, or else Yomi would have killed herself.
Hrm... That would make sense. If so, these inhibitions would probably include competing and contrary impulses -- probably the weaker positive ones -- and as corruption continues, it gets stronger and starts to remove stronger positive impulses.

Yomi has been able to hurt Kagura physically though. But true, she didn't go for killing or maiming blows.

Not just heighten their sense of preservation. It literally prevented Yomi from stabbing herself when she's in the alley way after slicing up Kagura's father. Every time she tried to stab herself, there was a red barrier that prevented her from going further.

Quote:
At this point, Yomi is still quite alive; just under the influence of the death stone.
Ah. Right.

Quote:
I don't read manga as a rule, but I think that this is what people are talking about in that the manga isn't all that exciting compared to the anime (and why some won't mind it if Ga-rei isn't animated).
Possibly. I could have done without the "two years later" scene although it was nice to get some closure on some of the side characters. I get why the animators did it but eh. I'd have liked to see her eating a pocky stick while facing off against a monster to tie it back to what Ga Rei Zero revolved around and show that she moved on but she hasn't forgotten.
Old 2009-07-15, 08:38   Link #1099
careph

Quote:
I think that it's even more insidious than that. Instead of amplifying negative desires, I think that it removes the inhibitions one would normally have against enacting them.
You're definitely on the right track but I don't think that her "normal" hatred would have been sufficient to kill Kazuki and Kagura's father, even with all constraints gone. They both had "negative" influences on persons she loved, but not to the same degree as Mei, who actually killed a cherished one. I'd rather suggest a synergistic effect of amplified hatred plus defective inhibitions, guiding the container in the desired direction. Alternatively the amplification could have been at times strong enough to simply nullify all but the strongest inhibitions and positive impulses (I think I have never been that unnecessarily cryptic about something simple like love before )

Quote:
Yomi has been able to hurt Kagura physically though. But true, she didn't go for killing or maiming blows.
I'm not all too sure Yomi intentionally let Kagura live. Ever since the pocky kissing scene we know she was a person with a sadistic knack, so it could just as well have been a cruel cat and mouse game in her darker moments.

Quote:
Not just heighten their sense of preservation. It literally prevented Yomi from stabbing herself when she's in the alley way after slicing up Kagura's father. Every time she tried to stab herself, there was a red barrier that prevented her from going further.
Yup, additionally we can also deduce that the stone didn't possess any significant intelligence of its own, else it would've been able to realise and thwart Yomi's “indirect suicide” approach.

But in the end it's purely speculation
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 13:37   Link #1100
4Tran

Quote:
Precisely.

Quote:
Hah! I haven't watched that scene for over a year, so I plain forgot about it.

Quote:
Possibly. I could have done without the "two years later" scene although it was nice to get some closure on some of the side characters. I get why the animators did it but eh. I'd have liked to see her eating a pocky stick while facing off against a monster to tie it back to what Ga Rei Zero revolved around and show that she moved on but she hasn't forgotten.
Such a scene like that would be great, but I think that it'd go against her character established in the manga (it's her partner that carries a katana).

Quote:
Originally Posted by careph View Post
You're definitely on the right track but I don't think that her "normal" hatred would have been sufficient to kill Kazuki and Kagura's father, even with all constraints gone.
Have you ever felt anger or irritation towards someone who did things like cut you off in traffic? Normally we'd never act on those emotions because of societal norms, fear of punishment, and/or because we're not sadists. However, if you remove all of those barriers, it becomes a lot more possible to do so. The reason why I'm so adamant on this point is because it speaks to one of the central themes of Ga-rei Zero. Yomi isn't, and cannot be, just a victim in this affair. Instead, the evil that she propagates is strongly derived from her own dark impulses. And thus she had to also be an active participant in breaking free of the death stone's influence. To further underscore this point, we already saw what happened when Mei failed at this.

Quote:
I'm not all too sure Yomi intentionally let Kagura live. Ever since the pocky kissing scene we know she was a person with a sadistic knack, so it could just as well have been a cruel cat and mouse game in her darker moments.
That doesn't make any sense given how closely they matched up. By not taking advantage of her opportunities, Yomi would have risked getting defeated, and that would run counter to the self-preservation directive.

Quote:
Yup, additionally we can also deduce that the stone didn't possess any significant intelligence of its own, else it would've been able to realise and thwart Yomi's “indirect suicide” approach.
It shouldn't be a matter of the stone's "intelligence"; everything it does thought-wise should be dependent on the affected person's own consciousness. What Yomi did to thwart this was to overcome the death stone's influence, and her own dark impulses. That's what raises the story from a tragedy to a minor triumph.

Tags
action, shounen