AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 23:58   Link #1
Emashu

Top 3?

I'm not sure if there was already a similiar thread in the forum but..
It seems like there are many people here who have seen alot of animes, so I'd like to know what are your top three (or perhaps top five if you cant settle for just three) out of those many animes.

Thanks in advance =]
Old 2009-07-17, 00:32   Link #2
jedinat

Probably...
Juuni Kokuki
Aria (all seasons)
Maria-sama ga Miteru (all seasons)
Though I'd want...
Trigun
Hellsing (2006)
Haibane Renmei
...to be up there somewhere as well.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:28   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ask me tomorrow and it may be different, but...

Seirei no Moribito
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL

And among movies:

5 CM Per Second
Princess Mononoke
Old 2009-07-17, 01:42   Link #4
mit7059

Honey & Clover
BECK:Mongolian Chop Squad
Ookiku Furikabutte
Cross Game - so far the anime has lived up to the manga
Kare Kano - manga is better

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-07-17, 01:43   Link #5
Theowne
耳をすませば

My Top 5 is in my signature. In detail:

Honey and Clover
Story about students at an art college discovering what their role in the world and society will be in terms of friendships, careers and love. It has special significance to me because of the mature and idealistic way that the characters pursue this. I often feel like the modern cellphone-and-internet loving world can't be a great backdrop for sincere/charming stories of this genre but Honey and Clover disproves that. It is the only one of my favourite romance-related anime which was created in this decade.

Whisper of the Heart
This is a mid-90s film directed by Kondo and animated by Studio Ghibli. It is a departure from the fantasy settings of many Ghibli films and takes place in a heavily cement city of Japan. It's a charming young romance/growing up story that far surpasses nearly any other. Small on flash and glitter, big on heart

Mononoke-hime
A rich mythological epic which still carries an intimate story of meeting between two characters. The storyline revolves around the battle between the gods of the forest and humans of an iron mill town and two characters caught between both sides.

Grave of the Fireflies
A tragic film of two orphans in world war 2, which has moved many viewers more than any other film, this is the very proof that animation is not just to amuse children, that it can communicate meaningful emotions in its own way.

Tied: Maison Ikkoku / Touch
I'm cheating here, but these are both anime from the 80s with around 100 episodes and carry a similarity in genre (romantic, comedic, and dramatic, taking place in the real world), and I can't choose between them. These are anime that don't abide by the modern standard of thrusting characters and character development into 13 or 26 episodes in flashes of colorful hair and dramatic music - they are anime that let the characters grow naturally through their lives and give a window for the audience to see them throughout nearly 100 episodes each so that by the end, instead of forgetting about them and setting off on the next anime season, the characters permanently occupy a place in your mind like old friends.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-07-17 at 01:57.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:22   Link #6
james0246

This list changes all the time (based on how recent I have seen these various shows/films), so here is a current list:

TV -
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Macross
Princess Tutu
Serial Experiments Lain
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu

Movie/OVA -
Millennium Actress
Furi Kuri
Whisper of the Heart
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Old 2009-07-17, 02:53   Link #7
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
My top three all-time favorites are somewhat elitist, but here it is:

Haibane Renmei
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!

Recent favorites:

Saki
Kiki's Delivery Service
Old 2009-07-17, 05:55   Link #8
qwertyuiopz

clannad series
ghost hound
gintama
higurashi series
sengoku basara

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-07-17 at 11:52.
Old 2009-07-17, 07:06   Link #9
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
My top three right now? My impressions of anime differ from each other. My top five right now are:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Saki

Valkyria Chronicles

Bleach

Bakemonogatari
Old 2009-07-17, 07:08   Link #10
Ash Falls Town

DNAngel

Princess Tutu

Fairy Musketeers
Unfortunately only Princess Tutu seems to get much love.
Old 2009-07-17, 08:24   Link #11
KimmyChan

My top 5 latest animes at the minute are -

Ouran High School Host Club
Elfen Lied
Disgaea
Rosario+Vampire
Peach Girl
Old 2009-07-17, 08:52   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

I will make it top 5:

1) Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (may change as that the anime is currently airing)
2) White Album (may change depending on second season this autumn)
3) Memories Off 2nd
4) Macross Frontier
5) Gundam Wing

And these animes may or may not replace the ones in my top 5 list as that I am still watching it:

CANAAN
Princess Lover!
Old 2009-07-17, 08:56   Link #13
Journeyman
That boring guy

5. Planetes / Moonlight Mile

4. Seirei no Moribito - 26 episodes

3. Mushishi

2. Spice and Wolf

The #1 on my personal list is steadily occupied by Battle Fairy Yukikaze.
Old 2009-07-17, 09:43   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

My favourite anime series (excluding OVAs and movies) are listed in my profile and it's a fairly stable list (except in 2007, when a number of new shows jumped into the list, but that's more an indication of how good that year was for anime). I rank them according to the emotional impact they've had on me and also on the extent I'm likely to re-watch them.

1) Haibane Renmei
This series will always have a special place in my heart. It just happened to be the one show that I needed to watch at the time, and it ended up having a profound impact on the way I look at life. The show starts slowly, giving viewers the time to understand the town of Guri, where the angel-like haibane dwell. Just when you think the story is getting nowhere, things take a dark turn and eventually tumbles towards one of the most cathartic endings I'd seen in a show, be it live-action or anime.

2) Seirei no Moribito
Quite possibly the closest that anime can get to live-action drama. The action sequences are among the best that have been animated in recent years, coupled with a sharply written story and great characters. Unfortunately, fans who were drawn to the show by its initial fast-paced action eventually drop off in the middle when the series slows down to a more deliberate pace. It's fair to say that this is an action-adventure for those who prefer solid character development over non-stop combat, so it's important to approach it with the right expectations.

3) Mushishi
Simple short stories about mythical creatures that nevertheless deliver enormous emotional impact. This is an episodic series that follows the travels of Ginko, who is a sort of medicine-man and naturalist. He wanders around rural Japan helping people who had been affected by the enigmatic mushi. These creatures are merely plot devices that serve as vehicles for bittersweet stories dealing with a variety of social issues.

I won't elaborate the rest, but I'll leave them here to give you a sense of what other anime I enjoy. While I tend to prefer "serious" anime for "serious" adults, that doesn't stop me from enjoying well-produced "fluff" like Samurai Champloo or Lucky Star. There are plenty of other shows that deserve honourable mention, but that's a topic for another thread, I suppose.

4) Kino no Tabi

5) Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

6) Samurai Champloo

7) Toshokan Sensou

8) Last Exile

9) Lucky☆Star

10) Inuyasha
Old 2009-07-17, 09:57   Link #15
Saleh
Inactive

My top 3 at the moment are -

Legend of Galactic heroes
Seirei no Moribito

Worth mentioning-
Simoun
True Tears
Kino no Tabi
Higurashi
Kara No Kyoukai
Ookami to Koushinryou
Natsume Yuujinchou
Sola
Old 2009-07-17, 10:47   Link #16
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

My top 5 (as finished series)
1. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The
2. Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
3. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
4. Darker Than Black - Kuro no Keiyakusha
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (if + other seasons+ tips, etc then this may as well be 2nd)
Old 2009-07-17, 10:52   Link #17
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

My Top 3 anime:

3) Clannad / Clannad ~After Story~

You will be hard pressed to find a story more touching, compelling, heartbreaking and life-affirming than this.

2) Fullmetal Alchemist

Exceptional production values, an enthralling story and a fair share of thought-provoking moments.

1) Mushishi

Animated perfection, bar none. A simple yet sublime series that leaves you breathless after every episode.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:07   Link #18
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Hmm....

The Story of Saiunkoku

The Familiar o Zero

Princess Tutu

Mai-HiME

And Kagihime

Though, those aren't in any particular order...
Old 2009-07-18, 22:01   Link #19
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

1. Yuusha Oh GaoGaiGar/ Yuusha Oh GaoGaiGar Final- without doubt my favorite show. What makes it so great is that it is very old school super robot show but times 10. From the combination scenes to the epice battle it had so many memorable and exciting moments. It was exciting because of the feeling that those moment gave out(thanks to the amazing voice of Nobuyuki Hiyama) and the epic feeling of those battles, which in turn made it very memorable. And the fact that all the characters were great and really represented the feeling of what the show was trying to do. While it might not be a deep anime the show is still amazing and without doubt the best anime I ever watched.

2. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- Like GaoGiaGar it was old school typle anime and shared many similar aspect. Though what made Gurren Lagann special was the characters and the way they developed, from Simon, Kamina, Yoko, and Kitan all of their development through out the show made you love the character and in turn made you love the show. The other great moment were the battle here the characters truly shined with their guts and spirit(similar to GaoGaiGar). Plus the great animation and the sound further enhance the great moments.

3. Baccano!- Not much to say besides this is one of the most badass and interesting show I ever watched. What makes Baccano stand out imo is the arrangement of each episodes, each episode contains bits of the story and through this the show gets interesting as you try to fit together what happened. Though it isn't complex and it is very straight forward so it doesn't take lot of thinking. The other additions is really the characters, who imo are very fun to watch and very likable despite the fact that they don't get lot of development and well lot of them are really badass.
Old 2009-07-19, 10:07   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
It's easier for me to place my favorites on different tiers.

Starblazers
Maison Ikkoku

Are both at the top tier for me. Second tier (which is still incredibly good) are:

Fullmetal Alchemist
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Cross Game
Closed Thread