AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2009-08-11, 16:09   Link #321
JustRob

Okay fine you win. Deidara isn't a ninja he's a terrorist.

discussion over
JustRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 16:32   Link #322
james0246

^Technically, all of Akatsuki are terrorist, especially those that followed Nagato.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 16:58   Link #323
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Technically, all of Akatsuki are terrorist, especially those that followed Nagato.
Terrorist = heretic in this world of politics. All you have to do is scream "Witch" and its off to Guantanamo Bay. Terrorist doesn't mean what it used to 20 years ago. Che Guevara, Joan of Arc and the founding fathers of America would be viewed as a terrorist in today's world.

I like to think of Akatsuki as gangsters or old western outlaws ... who operate above the law of the land for their own agenda and gain .. and took what they wanted, when they wanted it.

*queue "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" theme*
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 16:59   Link #324
JustRob

no, that's pirates you're thinking about
Old 2009-08-11, 17:02   Link #325
james0246

^No, terroism is the systematic use of terror to coerce people into following your idealogical stance. Nagato's plan, which the majority of the group knew of and followed, was to create such a catastrophe, that the world would be so scared that they simply stopped fighting. Akatsuki si an almost textbook defintion of a terrorist organization. If you prefer, we can use the word Violent non-state actor, instead of terrorist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
no, that's pirates you're thinking about
LOL, To true.
Old 2009-08-11, 17:05   Link #326
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
^No, terroism is the systematic use of terror to coerce people into following your idealogical stance. Nagato's plan, which the majority of the group knew of and followed, was to create such a catastrophe, that the world would be so scared that they simply stopped fighting. Akatsuki si an almost textbook defintion of a terrorist organization.
Lol. So is a certain powerful government....
lonewolf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 17:07   Link #327
Killer Bee

Damn you guys are fast. I tried to make a change and by the time I did there were like 3 replies.

Well just read my post ^ above and see what I meant
Old 2009-08-11, 17:44   Link #328
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Che Guevara, Joan of Arc and the founding fathers of America would be viewed as a terrorist in today's world.

I like to think of Akatsuki as gangsters or old western outlaws ... who operate above the law of the land for their own agenda and gain .. and took what they wanted, when they wanted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf777 View Post
Lol. So is a certain powerful government....
While a political party can try to illegitimaze someone's stance by arguing that they are a terrorist, there are key qualifiers that exist in the definition of terrorist, specifically, a terrorist, or the less politically charged phrase Violent non-state actor, invoke their desires not against armed forces, but rather non-combatants, even going so far as to only target civilians. Consequently, the group Akatsuki which seeks to coerce the public through terror, and is more than willing to kill civilians, is a Terrorist organization. They are not revolutionares battling against an oppresive system, nor are they seeking simply materialistic goods (ala a gangster/pirate/ organization). They have a multiple part agenda that is rooted in Nagato's/Pain's ideological ideas concerning the world, and those ideas all lead to the death of innocent individuals.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-11 at 17:55.
Old 2009-08-11, 17:55   Link #329
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
While a political party can try to illegitimaze someone's stance by arguing that they are a terrorist, there are key quilifiers that exist in the definition of terrorist, specifically, a terrorst, or the less politically charged phrase Violent non-state actor, invoke their desires not against armed forces, but rather civilians, even going so far as to only target civilians.
Without digressing too far off topic or starting a political debate, I would like to point out that this is the 'new' definition of the word terrorist. In other words, this is the definition now used by certain world actors to label whom they wish as a threat to humanity, while they themselves do the same things they accuse their enemies of doing. However, since they are not 'non-state', they cannot be labeled as terrorists under their definition thereof. In fact, the true definition of terrorist is the classical one; the one which you cited above. The word terrorist in its origin has no connection to whether or not someone is a state-actor or not, nor whether or not they chiefly target civilians. With all due respect, this new definition is nothing more than a ploy to clear a clearly guilty party of a crime. You'll excuse my cynicism, but I'm not one for these nonsensical political mind games.

But yeah, other than that, I think it's safe enough to say that Akatsuki are terrorists..... though technically, most terrorists aren't mercenaries as well in the process, but fair enough.
lonewolf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 18:03   Link #330
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

All I can think of is how much I miss Deidara. I know there's no way for him to come back though.. well, maybe there is. This IS Naruto, after all. And his death was for nothing, he didn't even manage to kill Sasuke.

I WANT HIM BACK. He was an awesome character. In the popularity polls, he was ranked HIGHER than Naruto himself. Why kill off such a popular character? Kishimoto is dumb. Then again, even Sasori ranked higher than most of the main characters.

Oh and Deidara WAS a terrorist bomber. He was FORCED to join Akatsuki, don't you guys remember?
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 18:26   Link #331
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba View Post
All I can think of is how much I miss Deidara. I know there's no way for him to come back though.. well, maybe there is. This IS Naruto, after all. And his death was for nothing, he didn't even manage to kill Sasuke.

I WANT HIM BACK. He was an awesome character. In the popularity polls, he was ranked HIGHER than Naruto himself. Why kill off such a popular character? Kishimoto is dumb. Then again, even Sasori ranked higher than most of the main characters.

Oh and Deidara WAS a terrorist bomber. He was FORCED to join Akatsuki, don't you guys remember?
Is being a terrorist who randomly bombs civillians better than belonging to an underground organization with the aim to destroy the ninja world?
Old 2009-08-11, 18:51   Link #332
JustRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba View Post

Sorry but Sasuke is Kishimoto's favorite character so he couldn't let him lose

All Akatsuki will be killed anyway, if Sasuke didn't do it, Naruto probably would have
Old 2009-08-11, 19:04   Link #333
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf777 View Post
Without digressing too far off topic or starting a political debate, I would like to point out that this is the 'new' definition of the word terrorist. In other words, this is the definition now used by certain world actors to label whom they wish as a threat to humanity, while they themselves do the same things they accuse their enemies of doing. However, since they are not 'non-state', they cannot be labeled as terrorists under their definition thereof. In fact, the true definition of terrorist is the classical one; the one which you cited above. The word terrorist in its origin has no connection to whether or not someone is a state-actor or not, nor whether or not they chiefly target civilians. With all due respect, this new definition is nothing more than a ploy to clear a clearly guilty party of a crime. You'll excuse my cynicism, but I'm not one for these nonsensical political mind games.

But yeah, other than that, I think it's safe enough to say that Akatsuki are terrorists..... though technically, most terrorists aren't mercenaries as well in the process, but fair enough.
Bravo.

I can't give you more rep till I "spread it around" and all that jazz.

The only part I would amend would be that IMO Akatsuki fit the bill of outlaws or gangsters.

Mercenaries? Well that depends. I think all gangsters are mercenaries to a degree. Protection and clout are a form of currency and you definitely enjoy both when you run with the other big dogs. And I guess the promise of being augmented by the King of Hell statue could also be viewed as payment for services rendered.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:02   Link #334
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraFlash View Post
Is being a terrorist who randomly bombs civillians better than belonging to an underground organization with the aim to destroy the ninja world?

No, I don't think it's better. But then again, you have to remember that Deidara saw his bombs as "art", and himself as an "artist".

It's a twisted viewpoint, sure, but I don't think he saw the things he did as evil. HE wasn't evil. The people that died were just consequences of his art. In his eyes, those people were probably lucky to go out in such a beautiful manner.

That's what I think, at least.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:05   Link #335
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I love deidara, he is like the rock lee of akatsuki, but way better
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 21:09   Link #336
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post

Hahaha that's an interesting way to look at it.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:15   Link #337
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Bravo.

I can't give you more rep till I "spread it around" and all that jazz.

The only part I would amend would be that IMO Akatsuki fit the bill of outlaws or gangsters.
lol, lonewolf777 was agreeing that Akatsuki are "terrorist", he simply disliked my use of a more modern umbrella phrase that does not account for state run terrorism.

To put it another way, how would you describe a plan of action that requires thousands of people to die so as to create such fear that war would be disavowed? Does that sound like a mafia hit to you? Or a terrorist action?
Old 2009-08-11, 21:55   Link #338
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Nice way of saying it, never expected that..

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 23:35   Link #339
Killer Bee

Quote:
lol, lonewolf777 was agreeing that Akatsuki are "terrorist", he simply disliked my use of a more modern umbrella phrase that does not account for state run terrorism.

To put it another way, how would you describe a plan of action that requires thousands of people to die so as to create such fear that war would be disavowed? Does that sound like a mafia hit to you? Or a terrorist action?
LOL ... I think lonewolf may have meant that he dislikes the way certain groups twist words in order to become exempt from judgement, blame or guilt while transgressing in the same manner. That's why he didn't like the term but you may have missed that, buddy.
Old 2009-08-11, 23:54   Link #340
james0246

^Hm, he seems to have said "I think its safe enough to say that Akatsuki are terrorists..." Maybe I am misreading something, but doesn't that mean Akatsuki are terrorist? If not, I apologies.