AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-08, 22:39   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Monster, a rare and complex anime that comes every once in a decade

Well, this is just a cut an paste from another post that I wrote. But I consider that with this message you can count me in in the Monster's club

I would also like to take advantage of this tread to know why you guys like monster as well

Let me describe my feelings towards this anime with a short sentence: A rare, complex and beautiful anime that only comes every once in a decade.

That's right, this anime is beautiful. First of all, the art is just gorgeous, it is so well drawn that it accurately portrays the character's feelings and the atmosphere of each situation. It has beautiful footage. Its footage is so good that you actually get the feeling of watching a movie instead of an anime. Now the music blends in perfectly at all times, and besides it is beautiful It plays my favorite instrument all the time, the violin. And let me tell you that I consider the violin to be the best music instrument ever due to its ability to picture feelings. Hence, what do you get when you combine good footage with good music? The result is a good atmosphere. These two elements were the first good impact that I got from this series.

However the most important element that makes me consider that this anime is beautiful, is its story line. How can I describe it? The storyline resembles a novel adapted into a TV show. Do I make enough sense? I guess not. In other words the story is very detailed. It is told in chronological order of events and it intents to describe the most insignificant aspects of the scenario. You can get long shoots at the rain or at person's facial expression just to make feel the impact of the current situation. Therefore, being this anime a mystery and suspense kind I'll assure you that at times you can feel scared or anxious. And if you ask me, I can say that this anime is very good at playing around with emotions

If you want me to compare this anime with something else, I would say that there is no other anime that can be compared to it as far as I know. But you can certainly compare it with "The six sense" and "The X files" but of course you would have to take out all science fiction involved in these two films. The result then would be a mature and realistic thriller that takes place in the late 80s when the Berlin wall was taken down in Germany.
Old 2004-07-09, 00:49   Link #2
Joe Dalton

rofl... realistic...

Anyway it's a so so anime. The storyline is pretty good but not told as well as it should be. And it really loses points on it's "insights" wich are often shalow.

The anime is mature and I like the music, the story is pretty good. Thats what I like about it. But I feel it could/should have been allot better. So it doesnt rank verry high for me.
Old 2004-07-09, 08:02   Link #3
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Yes I agree with you. It doesn't come by decades though. If you like monster and don't really mind the unique art(I find it more realistic as a real human face should look more like the way its drawn in the anime I'm going to recommend you), I recommend you to watch Gilgamesh.
Its complex, Its beautiful, Its a work of art. And its a classic too(Manga that is).
Old 2004-07-09, 19:43   Link #4
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Hmmm... How much of Monster have you seen/read, to call it shallow? I personally agree wholeheartedly with Sugetsu. Still, they're your opinions, but all I can say is you're missing out. Please don't take offense. I think I can kinda see where you're coming from, Joe, but not really... at least we can both agree on FMA

BTW Ratix, isn't the original SNES Star Ocean a great game?
Old 2004-07-09, 19:47   Link #5
Ratix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
BTW Ratix, isn't the original SNES Star Ocean a great game?
Ah yes. ^_^. Love it. One of my favourite RPGs.
Hm... Monster is confusing me, but then again, I'm only up to episode 5...
Old 2004-07-09, 19:48   Link #6
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix
Ah yes. ^_^. Love it. One of my favourite RPGs.
Hm... Monster is confusing me, but then again, I'm only up to episode 5...
I miss the good old days of the SNES RPGs. Those were the glory days for the RPG, and they're gone now...

As for Monster - I highly encourage you to stick with it. IMO this is truly one of the greatest, most complex stories I've ever read.
Old 2004-07-09, 19:53   Link #7
Ratix

Of course I am :P
Old 2004-07-09, 20:46   Link #8
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix
Of course I am :P
Good Keep it going because you'll be shocked when you get to episode 7, and you'll cry when you watch episode 9, and then you'll be in shock again when you watch episode 12.

Oh yeah and the story is not confusing for me at all... Hell, on the other side I'm very confused with FMA story @_@ Now that's messed up... But still great
Old 2004-07-10, 00:43   Link #9
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

is the anime really that good. I think sometimes people confuse the manga with the anime. The monster anime has yet to be finished, it is only 11 episodes or so, I wouldn't call it rare and complex just yet. Is the manga good? sure.. so is berserk manga, but the anime sucks ass
Old 2004-07-10, 01:14   Link #10
Helldog2004
Kakashi lightning attack

Send a message via MSN to Helldog2004
hummm, I just started downloading yesterday and finished 3 episodes of monster, don't realy know how this anime is going, seems nice to me how u guys talk about it.
anyway, I don't hope it end like FMA and Chrono Crusade, I am not Japanese not Chinese, so I am affraid I can't find these series anymore, unless I start downloading from kazaa or Imesh..

Anyway, the way u guys talk about this serie about it realistic storyline and stuff, it remembers me of yugo..
a quiet boring story of two kind of wars, seems like Iraq and Russian.
one negotiator who takes up two missions and get a hell of a lotta problems..
but that animeserie was so realistic also.. also I almost lost the sense of the storyline cause of it's hard use of words... HEY MAN I AM JUST 17, and I AM DUTCH :P

Anyway, I hope this serie won't get leeched.. I don't like to brake off after downloading the half of it's story
Old 2004-07-10, 01:20   Link #11
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
but the anime sucks ass

lol what did you just say? The anime KICKS ROYAL ASS... what you said doesn't have any basis at all... but well, everyone has his own opinion right? There are people who think that shit smells bad and others who don't mind the smell of shit

And yes Monster is based on a novel. The manga is really good. And perhaps you'll think the same about the anime... (oh I forgot that Beserk manga is really good and you didn't like the anime at all... So I gues you won't like Monster anyway right? >_> )
Old 2004-07-10, 08:44   Link #12
Helldog2004
Kakashi lightning attack

Thumbs up

No it was quiet boring, but it was kinda teachable..
that serie just teached me some stuff what happened in these two wars..
and it seems to be a true story.. atleast the war story's

not the story about the two vitting rings in russia and that about to save the negotiator in Iraq...

Might also be a true story, but I don't think so..

anyway, what I ment, is that series u can teach from also can be very interresting.. so I just gamble on it

BTW thank you for telling us some information about monsters
Old 2004-07-10, 18:34   Link #13
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

One of the reasons a lot of people are saying this is the greatest thing ever, even though the anime is 14 episodes long so far, is because a lot of us have read the manga and know how f***ing unbelievable it is in its awesomeness.

"But what about stuff like Gantz or Fullmetal Alchemist, where the anime is different from the manga?" you might say. My answer is: in the episodes I've seen so far (I've only watched through 10 at this point) only ONE scene that was in the manga was left out of the anime. And that was a short, four-five frame scene in Chapter 3 or 4 (episode 2, so to speak). Most people understand by now that this anime will be following the manga VERY closely.
Old 2004-07-11, 06:50   Link #14
animedudematt

At the mo ive seen up to ep 7 of this anime, and I has gotta be the best anime ive seen in a while. Its so much more adult than the other animes like fma and naruto.

I love the whole feel to monster its very gothicy and it can really freak you out.
Old 2004-07-11, 10:52   Link #15
Helldog2004
Kakashi lightning attack

I have also downloaded episode 1 to 7, haven't seen one of them yet.. but I guess I am gonna start watching episode 1 rite now :P

I will tell u guys if I like it or not
Old 2004-07-11, 11:53   Link #16
Psi

I'm really enjoying Monster as well. I think it's hard to compare it to other shows out this season because it's themes and style is so unique. I agree it's more like a conventional TV drama then anime....

Instead of the X-files I would say it's a lot like The Fugitive. It's an old U.S. series (and a movie remake with Harrison Ford) about a doctor who is framed for the murder of his wife. Instead of surrendering to the police he goes on a quest to find the murderer, and this one investigator who believes the doctor is the murderer becomes obsessed with catching him. It's cool because the main character is both pursuing and being pursued at the some time, which creates a nice dynamic IMO.

So a lot like Monster, instead of the fugitive saying that a man with an artificial arm was the real murderer, Tenma says that a kid he operated on years ago who disappeared was the real murderer. Both are equally unbelievable despite being true.

I hope the creators of the series, and the subbers, keep up their good work
Old 2004-07-12, 02:53   Link #17
Ratix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi
Instead of the X-files I would say it's a lot like The Fugitive. It's an old U.S. series (and a movie remake with Harrison Ford) about a doctor who is framed for the murder of his wife. Instead of surrendering to the police he goes on a quest to find the murderer, and this one investigator who believes the doctor is the murderer becomes obsessed with catching him. It's cool because the main character is both pursuing and being pursued at the some time, which creates a nice dynamic IMO.
Hm, I think I remembered about The Fugitive...
Anyway, I hope it doesn't get liscenced halfway >_<.
Old 2004-07-12, 04:18   Link #18
Helldog2004
Kakashi lightning attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi
I'm really enjoying Monster as well. I think it's hard to compare it to other shows out this season because it's themes and style is so unique. I agree it's more like a conventional TV drama then anime....

So a lot like Monster, instead of the fugitive saying that a man with an artificial arm was the real murderer, Tenma says that a kid he operated on years ago who disappeared was the real murderer. Both are equally unbelievable despite being true.

I hope the creators of the series, and the subbers, keep up their good work
Enma did the operation 9 years ago on the boy Johann, and yes he was the person who was the brainmaster for all these kills..

Spoiler:

to badly I allready figured this out on part 4 (I would like to follow this serie without realy knowing who was the murderder).
Old 2004-07-12, 22:28   Link #19
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

As my sig has said since prior to its release and will continue to say, Monster is going to go down in the annals as one of the best anime ever made. The series is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.
Old 2004-07-13, 06:58   Link #20
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

The top two sentences of your signature speak the absolute, holy, untouchable truth. But as for Beck getting animated... well, I'm a little worried about that, because I know the anime can't live up to the music that I already have in my head. It might be great, but the studio will have to work really hard to please *everyone*.

And yes, Monster IS definitely a masterpiece
Closed Thread