AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-12-05, 15:43   Link #20401
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
And yeah, while I'm not one to talk about improbable pairings, I don't think they're that improbable on the basis that "he's a guy, she's a girl, so there's the innate biological attraction there." I'll admit this is probably close minded of me, though.
I'd disagree with that. I have many, many friends of the opposite sex and we're really close (Like Nanoha/Fate close) and we have no romantic interest whatsoever towards each other.

I think that when writing, you can't use any "standard" reasons for characters to like each other. The boy meets girl thing only works if there is a reason for sparks to fly. For example, Yuuno and Nanoha in season 1. They are so busy doing what they need that there is no time for anything to develop, be they young or not. There's no reason for it, despite them being opposite gender. Same for Nanoha and Fate. They're close friends but there was nothing driving them together to ignite any type of doubt in that relationship. Its like your best friend suddenly saying "I love you!" and you're all "wait, WHAT!?"

A good romance, in my opinion, has foundation and builds up to something. It has a moment where each person thinks about it and has a self discovery. My own works here, in Saved by the Bell, Fate takes a few chapters to go through denial about liking Nanoha until her mother spells it out for her. Then Nanoha goes through 15 chapters just trying to figure out the line between friendship and romance. If I had just simply had them meet and BAM there's a connection, I would have lost a lot of chances to build upon their feelings.

P.S- I also think "Love at first site" is another way of saying "that person is hot, I wanna have sex with them and not get their phone number"

[EDIT] Page claim for.....

Syn and Vivio dancing around each other worse than Nanoha/Fate in the eyes of yuri fanbois with goggles on.

Syn:Wait, WHAT!?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 15:51   Link #20402
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Well, those numbers are based on self reports, so there could be a higher number of people in the closet. The homosexual population has indeed been on the rise, and I say more power to them.

And yeah, while I'm not one to talk about improbable pairings, I don't think they're that improbable on the basis that "he's a guy, she's a girl, so there's the innate biological attraction there." I'll admit this is probably close minded of me, though.
Like I said, more then you'd think.

Horridly closeminded, it's the exact same thing. Feel free to do it (improbable pairings don't bug me in the slightest), but then don't call others out on it (pots calling kettles black and all). Everyone isn't attracted to everyone else, not all girls are attracted to all guys and I'm sure it's visa versa.

If your reason for pairing them (this applies to every pairing ever, girlxboy, girlxgirl, boyxboy) is, he's a guy she's a girl so obviously they want each other, maybe you should try to to think over that pairing and see what would make them actually work as a couple.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 15:54   Link #20403
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:

Why do I feel like there's a double standard there?
Old 2009-12-05, 16:27   Link #20404
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush
If I wasn't so busy updating my comp from Vista, I'd say that you would not be the first one to say that.

"The objective is not to win. It is to eliminate every option for the enemy except the one to lose."

Knowledge is power. It should be shared.
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 16:44   Link #20405
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well, I'm only saying what applies to me and what I think. Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to pass it off as a universal standard but that is not my intent.

I wasn't saying that since they're members of the opposite sex, they must be attracted to each other. It's definitely possible for members of the opposite sex to just be friends. It's just that I tend to think "straight unless otherwise specified", so if there's a guy and a girl who are close, it's easier for me to make the leap to them becoming a couple. If, say, Vivio was stated as being a lesbian, then I'd have a much easier time seeing her paired with Lutecia.

I'm only talking about my mental processes and the limitations thereof.

*Sigh* But this is why I tried to keep quiet about this the whole time because I knew I wouldn't be able to explain myself properly, stick both feet in my mouth, and end up with everyone hating me.
Old 2009-12-05, 16:49   Link #20406
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
*Sigh* But this is why I tried to keep quite about this the whole time because I knew I wouldn't be able to explain myself properly, stick both feet in my mouth, and end up with everyone hating me.
I don't hate you. I just got a little put off by what you were saying and the implications of it.

I'll admit that in general when you have two close friends who are a guy and a girl, it's easier for the majority to see them taking that next step into a romance. But times are changing, and now there are even more stories were two boys or two girls are best friends and end up falling in love. It doesn't make the step any less believable, but I get what you're saying from a straight, biological point of view.

It really doesn't help that we have absolutely no clue as to anyone's confirmed sexuality in MGLN, ignoring the massive amounts of shiptease with the major ships in the fandom. It also doesn't help that MGLN is severely lacking in available men, so in general I find it easier to pair Vivio off with, say, Lutecia because Cia is an established character in canon and we're never specifically told that Vivio isn't a lesbian, so the option is still there. Same goes with Lutecia: no one ever comes out and says "Oh, BTW, she likes women!", it's mostly just an assumption on my part that she could because we're never told otherwise.
Old 2009-12-05, 17:16   Link #20407
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Nobody hates you 00-raiser, don't go Emoha on us D:

In my "canon" fics of Nanoha, where they're not in an AU or on earth or so, I try not to mention the whole bi or lesbian thing simply for the fact that they are so advanced, I'm pretty sure that by then they would have worked out a lot of kinks of the human fskups, such as the whole 'gay people are different' and racism things. So by then its probably not batting an eye at if Vivio and Syn go to prom together.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:05   Link #20408
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Just call me curious. You made the comment about how Satashi's niche in the community seems to be writing lemons, which made me wonder what my niche is. I tend to think about this stuff a lot.
Unresolved Sexual Tension .

Quote:
Well, those numbers are based on self reports, so there could be a higher number of people in the closet. The homosexual population has indeed been on the rise, and I say more power to them.

I don't know about "on the rise"...I think that it's also because society now is more accepting of even the thought of homosexual relationships. Some people in the past may have attributed their occasional homoerotic thoughts to "it's just because I don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend" or "it's just this particular person", but nowadays being homosexual isn't a psychological disorder or a crime that could get you thrown in jail (in some countries, at least).
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 18:07   Link #20409
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Unresolved Sexual Tension .
Ah, I see, I see. Thank you, that clears up a lot.
Old 2009-12-05, 19:36   Link #20410
DKN117

Hi, me again. I went off the grid due to a trio of extra-large papers due for finals, but I'm back for more assistance. MANY things to post, and seeking suggestions and comments for each of them.

Spoiler for Precia's Return, Nanoha's Fall, Fate's Fury:

Spoiler for Ki/Chakra and Magic:

Spoiler for Teana's New Outfit:

Spoiler for Battle of Torus III:

Spoiler for Waterfalls and Raw Fish:

Spoiler for Funny Yet Sad Yet Funny:

...Was that last one too mean of me?

Well... questions? Comments? I promise to again think before posting any replies, so no spur-of-the-moment irrational defensiveness on my part.
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 20:01   Link #20411
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Christmas was always a fun time for me. Nanoha-mama was really into the holiday, so we always had a fun time. Currently she was outside out house on a ladder I was holding for her. A string of Christmas lights were hanging from her side as she merrily stapled the cord to the house. In fact, we were both singing a small Christmas carol that was playing on the radio curtsy of Raising Heart -who now sported one red wing and one green wing in true holiday fashion. One thing about Christmas that I enjoy now that I was a teenager was that my eyes matched the holiday. Back when I was younger people would tease me about it, but now I really enjoy the fact I was 'christmasy' all the time now. Mama started climbing down the ladder and I moved out of her way so we could shift it over a few feet so she could go back up. After a playful curse to aunt Hayate about 'anti-flying laws', Nanoha-mama started climbing back up while I fed her the Christmas lights again.

Another Nanoha Christmas Story
By: Satashi

Coming soon in a Fon Filia near you!
Old 2009-12-05, 20:14   Link #20412
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Christmas was always a fun time for me. Nanoha-mama was really into the holiday, so we always had a fun time. Currently she was outside out house on a ladder I was holding for her. A string of Christmas lights were hanging from her side as she merrily stapled the cord to the house. In fact, we were both singing a small Christmas carol that was playing on the radio curtsy of Raising Heart -who now sported one red wing and one green wing in true holiday fashion. One thing about Christmas that I enjoy now that I was a teenager was that my eyes matched the holiday. Back when I was younger people would tease me about it, but now I really enjoy the fact I was 'christmasy' all the time now. Mama started climbing down the ladder and I moved out of her way so we could shift it over a few feet so she could go back up. After a playful curse to aunt Hayate about 'anti-flying laws', Nanoha-mama started climbing back up while I fed her the Christmas lights again.

Nanoha: Alright we're done! Fate-chan if you would please

Fate: *grumble* how did I turn into a power generator? *zaps*

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 20:19   Link #20413
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Quote:

Ooh! I can't wait!
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 20:27   Link #20414
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Nanoha: Alright we're done! Fate-chan if you would please

Fate: *grumble* how did I turn into a power generator? *zaps*
Fate: Okay, I'm done for the night. *hands cord to thunder* Have at it, Thunderkitty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulliMike23 View Post
Ooh! I can't wait!
I hope you'll enjoy it this time I'm going to build up to a christmas party isntead of just Christmas day ^_^
Old 2009-12-05, 20:32   Link #20415
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
Fate: Okay, I'm done for the night. *hands cord to thunder* Have at it, Thunderkitty!
Mrow....--I mean HEY!!

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 20:35   Link #20416
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

*now feels inspired to do another ViCia Christmas fic*

Dammit!!
Old 2009-12-05, 20:47   Link #20417
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Quote:
I hope you'll enjoy it this time I'm going to build up to a christmas party isntead of just Christmas day ^_^
Awesome! Now I gotta finish my short Vivio/Syn fic.
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 21:15   Link #20418
Dark Knight Gafgar
Dirty Bloody /b/tard

Quote:
XD I loved that fic a lot, mainly 'cause its just Vivio and Syn in real world situations. Paying their bills, eating, having problems and trying to overcome them... That's why I liked Saved by the Bell too. I like them being less magical and more realistic :3
I'll be honest, like I was when I reviewed PSVivio on ff.net before finding my way here - I really didn't like that fic. I understand the notion of wanting characters to be 'more realistic' so that it's easier to write them, but sometimes it simply kills the characters to do that. If you were to, say, write a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fic where the turtles had all been mysteriously turned into humans, abandoned (and forgotten) their ninja skills and gotten white-collar jobs, you're not writing TMNT fanfiction anymore: you're writing Office Space with four Italian-named office workers who hate the company shredder for some strange reason.

Putting them in real-world, 'realistic' situations is all well and good, but you have to remember the setting around them and their special abilities and take those into account. Otherwise you're effectively just writing an original novel that you can't publish because you went and used copyrighted names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Suddenly, I picture Akamatsu Ken directing all of this, and hilarity ensues.
But who would Vivio be tsundere for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
I know where my niche is.

The "no one cares about" niche.

Hurr.
I'm here to troll everyone.

Sadly people seem to have figured out that the best way to handle that is to /ignore me.

Bah.
Dark Knight Gafgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 21:19   Link #20419
Merctrin
Immi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
Spoiler for Ki/Chakra and Magic:
It's possible that Teana could teach herself how to use her ki. If she has enough to interfere with her magic usage, wouldn't it be pretty easy to detect? And once she's aware of it, it would just be a matter of getting used to the new source, since she's already used to channeling energy.

As for making the fic good... that burden falls entirely on you, I'm afraid . Any plot can be interesting as long as it's written well--just go for it.

Be careful not to overpower Teana, though. Giving a character a lot of power that she isn't known to have in canon can be dangerous. Good luck.
Merctrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 21:22   Link #20420
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight Gafgar View Post
I'll be honest, like I was when I reviewed PSVivio on ff.net before finding my way here - I really didn't like that fic. I understand the notion of wanting characters to be 'more realistic' so that it's easier to write them, but sometimes it simply kills the characters to do that. If you were to, say, write a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fic where the turtles had all been mysteriously turned into humans, abandoned (and forgotten) their ninja skills and gotten white-collar jobs, you're not writing TMNT fanfiction anymore: you're writing Office Space with four Italian-named office workers who hate the company shredder for some strange reason.

Putting them in real-world, 'realistic' situations is all well and good, but you have to remember the setting around them and their special abilities and take those into account. Otherwise you're effectively just writing an original novel that you can't publish because you went and used copyrighted names.

Marry me?

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha