AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-22, 16:32   Link #81
Oppius
Banned

I hate to say this but DOTA add-on for Warcraft 3 is severely overrated, at least in some Asian countries. While I agree Warcraft 3(core game) was not overrated but the DOTA add-on outshines it core game to a level that most gamers have no idea that Warcraft 3 is an RTS game, not an RPG one. They should play Diablo 2 for better RPG experience.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 05:15   Link #82
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Final Fantasy Series in general. If I have to be specific, VII is just a mess yet adored. Best way to describe it, It's the blockbuster movie of RPGs. It's great for that playthrough, but so many other deeper and rewarding games. It just has the unmatched visual feast.

God of War, People consider this an action game for some reason...a good one no less. It's competition is somewhere in between Dynasty Warriors 3 and Zone of the Enders...1.

Kingdom Hearts, Can fan service make a million seller? Yes it can!

Bioware RPGs after BG2.
Kotor: I love the story, but the game literially plays itself.
NWN: A toolset for D&D...With a 80hour comma inducing SP.
Jade Empire: 9.9 from IGN...Dear God!
Mass Effect: Another great game of choice. Do you want to be good, bad, or receive no reward.
Old 2009-12-24, 07:10   Link #83
Ending

I don't agree about Final Fantasy 7, it's a nice game, but everything past it is that typical Disney trash. FF6 still beats it, though.

Kotor1 was a bit of a let-down, but Kotor2 was much more interesting because of the skills and romances.

Neverwinter Nights was definitely overrated. The game itself was just bland and so the toolset became the highlight, which is about pushing the creative process on the users.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 08:05   Link #84
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

what I belive is Overrated about FF7 that causes lots of people to say its the game its self. its actually the two main characters, Sephiroth and Cloud. their the things making FF7 overrated.

EDIT: and maybe tifa

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2009-12-24 at 18:22.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 10:44   Link #85
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
How the hell is Halo overrated? Everyone cries about how bad it is. It's like calling Wii Sports overrated sure everyone is playing it, but that doesn't mean they think it's the best game evar. Sure Halo3 didn't bring anything new, but hands down one of the best 4 player game you can find. 4 people on bench playing online is mad fun.

Not mention the singleplayer campaign is pretty good definitely better then say whatever Call of Duty brought to the table.
well this is based on opinion and even though you feel it's the best game ever there are people who think other wise personally I think Halo is a pretty bland franchise so far. It doesn't have nearly as much to keep me interested. I think the story is short and not really thought out well and the action is fairly slow in multiplayer and singleplayer compared to others I have played. Just because it's balanced compared to most doesn't mean it's more enjoyable. I haven't seen anything that I would call innovative in Halo either. The graphics to me have always been on the average side. Not to mention the details in the graphics to me were boring. To me it's just an average game. I haven't played the third game so I can't comment on it.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 12:04   Link #86
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
I don't agree about Final Fantasy 7, it's a nice game, but everything past it is that typical Disney trash. FF6 still beats it, though.
We're not saying FFVII was a bad game, just that it's overrated. It's a good game, but not the 'epitome of RPG's' that many make it out to be.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 15:59   Link #87
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
I haven't seen anything that I would call innovative in Halo either. The graphics to me have always been on the average side. Not to mention the details in the graphics to me were boring. To me it's just an average game. I haven't played the third game so I can't comment on it.
To be honest if you are into fps's and had picked it up when it was first released then i'd say your opinion would probably be quite different.

Alot of the negative comments I read are from people would either played halo late in the xbox's like or never at all. It was a launch title afterall so by todays standards it obviously going to seem dated.

For its time I think it was large leap forward for console shooters.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 16:04   Link #88
Kafriel
Senior Guest

FF7 is indeed overrated, and accounts for FF8's underwhelming reception, although the latter was one of the most innovative RPGs (not all new things are good..but at least triple triad was well worth it).
The DBZ series are overrated, tenkaichi included: just owning DBZ3 and DBZ2 is good enough, all the other titles were just junk in between, especially the first tenkaichi game.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 17:44   Link #89
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Pokemon Emerald. Hate to say it, but it was just Sapphire and Ruby with a different title. As an elementary schooler when it came out, everyone was always talking about how good it was. How insanely epic, and other describing adjectives. Sure, the graphics of the pokemon may move, and you had the opportunity to battle and catch both Groudon and Kyogre, but otherwise, it was the exact same story.
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 22:47   Link #90
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
To be honest if you are into fps's and had picked it up when it was first released then i'd say your opinion would probably be quite different.

Alot of the negative comments I read are from people would either played halo late in the xbox's like or never at all. It was a launch title afterall so by todays standards it obviously going to seem dated.

For its time I think it was large leap forward for console shooters.
well I played it when it released...and I personally don't think it impressed me much, but at the same token I think it has more to do with people's play style with fps than Halo itself. Some people just don't like the style of Halo from what I can tell and I have friends who love fps and didn't really get into Halo. I must admit though that even though I like fps I am not a hard-core fan of the genre. like I've said before my nephews love it. I'm not saying the game was bad, but I do feel it was over-rated in that it could have had more sustance. I enjoy a good story and when Halo first came out it really didn't have that story that drew me in.
Old 2009-12-25, 14:20   Link #91
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

One thing that was innovative in Halo is the shield mechanic instead of a health bar/percent.
Old 2009-12-25, 15:41   Link #92
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I used to think Assassin's Creed was overrated, but now I see that almost everyone who played the game admits it's flaws, by now. It's funny how the game dropped from an overall-ranking of almost 90% on gamerankings.com to below 80% in the last two years.
Old 2009-12-25, 22:29   Link #93
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
One thing that was innovative in Halo is the shield mechanic instead of a health bar/percent.
I do think they handled using the shield mechanic really well (they weren't the first to have a shielding mechaninc, but I agree it was probably done the best)
Old 2009-12-25, 22:36   Link #94
Statonxyb
hrm

I nominate the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Atrocious camera coupled with generally unsatisfying combat, lackluster voice acting (the Prince's VA in the recent outing is outstanding) in addition to a storyline brought about by the lead's stupidity.
Old 2009-12-25, 22:48   Link #95
tkdtiger

another over-rated game I think was the new Ninja Gaiden series...the game wasn't nearly as hard as they made out...the thing that made the game hard I thought was the bad camera angles, but the game was still fun
Old 2009-12-26, 01:17   Link #96
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If you ever played Unreal 2 it had the same mechanic, and is was released in the late 1990s.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 01:35   Link #97
SMASHERJACKSON

WoW, CoD4 come to mind though both do have their strong points their still more praised then i feel they should be, in particular CoD4 as there are games out there as good as if not better then it e.g. BF:BC2 - for WoW, it does what it does best but what it does in itself i,e being an mmo isnt all that great, tho the upcoming ff14 and old republic mmo are on my gaming priority list - currently casualing it up in the shin megami tensei f2p mmo and having a blast.

p.s. regarding halo, if u had played fps's from pc's ud hav seen it for the gimmicky bs it is.
SMASHERJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 04:51   Link #98
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If you ever played Unreal 2 it had the same mechanic, and is was released in the late 1990s.
Unreal 2 was released after Halo 1. A few years after, and by all accounts was terrible.

If you want to give Credit for Halo's HP system, it's specifically the fact it was a regenerating shield bar with a decay health. The shield bar always allowed the player to continue to push force. It's not like many games were if you take enough damage. You either are forced to backtrack for health or die to a random gust of air. Halo on the otherhand allowed the player to be competitive. This allowed for allot more aggressive MP, and a better SP system. To note, the AI system which is still quite impressive to this day. But at the same time, the HP would be reduced if they weren't careful. It was the best combination of both worlds. Too bad they got rid of it for 2 and 3 >_>
Old 2009-12-27, 05:26   Link #99
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To only pick newer games...

Guitar HeroSouth Park beautifully skewered this silly party game that is taken way to seriously…

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – This is a great game, and a great amount of fun, and it definitely deserves respect for being, arguably, the first great RPG on a “next” generation system, but, besides that, this game is ultimately overrated for the simple fact that it is too simple. Actions are supposed to matter, but this game (as well as many other RPGs) is far too lenient in regards to the morality system. (It probably doesn't help that I am a big Morrowind fan...)

Fable/2 – moments of brilliance wrapped neatly in moments of mediocrity. It doesn’t help that the moral system is uber-simplistic, and the game is way too easy.
I agree with these cause those I have played
Oblivion is fun, but too many bugs

Though I would add Fallout 3 to the list, nice fun game but def overrated

fable is so darn easy I was able to beat it in 2 days >.<
Haven't played 2, since it isn't out for PC

WoW, simply because so many people go "It is the best MMO!!" but after a while it is nothing more but a grind fest for either gear, herbs, mining stuff, rep or pvp points..
I liked the lore quests but besides that it is the same thing, kill this and that.. bring me 20 God-knows-what-names
And it might be fun playing with others but WoW isn't the only game where you play with others..

Another oldie: Guild Wars, so over rated everyone went on about how good it was when it came out but the mere fact that you only meet other players when inside some cities makes it for me dull.

Unreal Tournament 3, nice vehicles and all that and it was great fun on LAN but online it sucks cause you get timed out far too quickly when connecting to a server
I've never played online cause ti would never connect, by the time it would the match was over >.< and the game was way too easy
Give me 1999 any day, at least I get to play in under a minute
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 09:53   Link #100
AyulsaDazua
Hymmnos Learner

I might say... Prototype, CoD:MW2.

Why?

1.Prototype: It is utterly repetitive and boring, if you are playing the game continuously, and and on some level, it is extremely difficult (Not that I mind about the difficulty, though)

2.CoD MW2: Without the multiplayer feature this game is too short. On the other hands, some countries have some serious connection problems, which makes the multiplayer feature is out of the question.
AyulsaDazua is offline   Reply With Quote