AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-09, 17:57   Link #1
gelo006

Slice of life

Currently watching Cross Game and Nodame Contabile once in a while.

Anime that I've seen are:
Toradora
Lovely Complex
Love Wind(This one is weird...)
I've also seen this anime about two siblings who went out then an earthquake suddenly struck Japan. I forgot the title though.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be romance. I prefer the anime to be as realistic as possible. Thank you in advance.
Old 2010-01-09, 18:19   Link #2
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Aria series - Slice of Life
Old 2010-01-09, 18:23   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Honey and Clover would be my automatic recommendation, but note - it's nothing like Toradora, which is the only anime I've seen on your post (apart from Nodame and Cross Game).

Quote:
I've also seen this anime about two siblings who went out then an earthquake suddenly struck Japan. I forgot the title though.
Tokyo Magnitude.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-01-09, 18:31   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Clannad, or Hatsukoi Limited maybe for romance/comedy/Slice of Life like Toradora.
Also for just slice of life/comedy - K-ON, Sora no Manimani, or Lucky Star.
MAL
Old 2010-01-09, 19:51   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Seconding Aria. If you're looking for slice of life you gotta at least check out Aria. The setting is rather sci-fi but the sci-fi aspects are mostly just background; the meat of the series is about the characters' daily interactions, and appreciating the little things in life.

Azumanga Daioh is a wacky school-life comedy, considered by many to be one of the defining anime of its genre.

Minami-ke is a less Seinfeldian but it's also a hilarious slice-of-life comedy, about three sisters, one each in high school, middle school, and elementary school. Both it and Azumanga are realistic insofar as there's no sci-fi or fantasy elements or anything, but as for the characters... yeah, plenty of crazy personalities all around, so it depends on what you mean by "as realistic as possible."

I've heard Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu! is a great slice-of-life comedy but I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet so I can't speak for it myself. I have seen the first season though (which isn't slice-of-life) so I understand the basic set-up. This one's got mecha/sci-fi but rather less crazy characters (at least if they're crazy, it's justified by their backstory); like I said, depends on what you're looking for in "realistic." The first season and Second Raid are pretty heavy on the plot, but from what I gather Fumoffu! was sort of an in-betweener.

Sora no Manimani is a show I nearly forgot about, I watched it last summer season, and while it might not have presented anything phenomenal, it's a very solid show and was a relaxing and enjoyable 25 minutes each week. The characters aren't as wacky as in Azumanga, but there's still plenty of amusing and often heartwarming interaction.
Old 2010-01-09, 21:13   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

All of these are "realistic" in the sense that they have no supernatural or sci-fi features:

Hataraki Man portrays the life of a 28-yo woman working at a Japanese magazine. Deals with the stresses and patriarchy of the Japanese workplace.

Hidamari Sketch is a more recent take on the "cute-girls-go-high-school" show made popular by Azumanga Daioh. The first season is licensed but the second is not. It's episodic (and shown out of chronological order) so you can watch the second season on its own and not miss much.

The bartender in the show of the same name has the nickname "the glass of the gods" because of his uncanny ability to choose just the right alcoholic concoction to help resolve emotional issues in his patrons' lives. Many of the shows include a segment on the history of particular liquors and drinks.

Welcome to the NHK! tells the story of a young man in his early twenties who is a "hikikomori," a reclusive drop-out living out paranoid fantasies in his tiny apartment. The story begins when he meets a young woman who offers to "save" him from his fate. This one's licensed as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-01-09 at 21:24.
Old 2010-01-09, 22:25   Link #7
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

5 Centimeters per Second

Spoiler for Summary:

BECK

Spoiler for Summary:

Genshiken/Genshiken 2

Spoiler for Summary:

Natsume Yuujinchou/Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou

Spoiler for Summary:
Old 2010-01-10, 09:00   Link #8
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

i would say
Minami-ke,K-ON,Clannad (Clannad is quiet sad though ) and probably Hataraki Man my favorite would be Mushishi
Old 2010-01-10, 09:33   Link #9
Riza-chan
Only Happy When it Rains~

Aria is a series you just can't miss if you are into the slice of life genre.
And I really recommend Azmanga Daioh and Honey & Clover too.
Old 2010-01-10, 12:21   Link #10
gelo006

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I watch Kimi ni Todoke, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Ok thanks again.
Old 2010-01-12, 00:50   Link #11
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Beck and Honey & Clover are both must watches ^^
Closed Thread